Best Password Manager?

Hey Guys,

I've just built my first PC and I have to re-sign into all my apps and programs to get it up and running. As I am downloading my software and signing into my relevant apps, I've realized that I have fallen into the bad habit of reusing passwords and not creating super strong or secure ones to begin with. I've been deep-diving a bit into password managers cause ideally I'd like to use those auto-generated passwords that try to fill themselves in. However, I'm pretty terrified of locking myself out of my accounts cause I didn't choose a password I can remember, but rather a password I didn't even read as I clicked okay as it auto-populated a random 24-character string from Google or something.

For those who use password managers regularly, is locking yourself out of your account with a password you never memorized not really a concern? I'm nervous about it but I also realize if it was that big of an issue people wouldn't be using them. Also, of the available password managers, which would you recommend? I was doing some brief reading and I like the developing ecosystem that Proton Pass seems to be trying to create. 'Was also looking at NordPass, 1Password, and BitWarden. Any password managers I should avoid?

Thanks

Most are giant vulnerabilities so generally its a "well who do you trust?"

Nord absolutely not. They spend way more on advertising then their actual product. Never trust Nord.

Avoid Last pass, and you can always just check them one by one with "Breach" to see if theyve been compromised or name changed due to a previous compromise.

10 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Most are giant vulnerabilities so generally its a "well who do you trust?"

Nord absolutely not. They spend way more on advertising then their actual product. Never trust Nord.

Avoid Last pass, and you can always just check them one by one with "Breach" to see if theyve been compromised or name changed due to a previous compromise.

I see. Well, it sounds like I just need to pick the one I like most and full-send it. Proton Pass hasn't been hacked and just announced support for pass keys last week so I guess why not?

50 minutes ago, Austroknot said:

For those who use password managers regularly, is locking yourself out of your account with a password you never memorized not really a concern?

Most, if not all, of the services provide you with a way to restore your account.
So, no I am not concerned at all.
Also, ain't no way I'm remembering ~150 different random passwords 😄 :
image.png.91ce6b0a7cb7b0e39d6981b4ba7e124f.png
And they should be different for each service.

50 minutes ago, Austroknot said:

'Was also looking at NordPass, 1Password, and BitWarden.

I've been using Bitwarden for quite some time now.
Knock on wood, haven't had any issues with it so far.

PS
For important stuff, do enable 2FA.
Do not use SMS based 2FA, and avoid e-mail based 2FA.
Prefferably use app-based 2FA, like Authy or Authenticator.

PPS
I personally print out recovery codes for 2FA and store them physically in a secure location. I do not like having them stored digitally anywhere (including secure notes and such which are offered by password managers).

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

bitwarden very very nice. Super easy, runs in a browser, runs on phone, runs as as program etc.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I use KeePassXC. It stores everything in a single encrypted file. Super easy; open the program, enter your master password, and you're in. No trusting of cloud providers necessary.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

I'm a big fan of Buttercup pw. It's free, open source, and cross-platform. You can sync with Dropbox, Google Drive, or NextCloud and it's pretty easy to set up.

I've used bitwarden, Proton and 1password.

1password is the best so far.

best? its called post-it! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Host your own: Vaultwarden, which is compatible with Bitwarden's clients/browser plugins.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

20 minutes ago, viejosabio said:

Hey guys! First time in the forum... someone can comment about this link i found? 
I was searching "Password manager LTT" to find some good recomendations in the forum or reddit but i found this:
See imagen attached

Just some garbage website writing fake articles putting popular key words on the page to trick people in to visiting the site.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

It seemed to me that it was obviously an article with false information, but what surprised me is that it is so clearly visible. Also, if you look for reviews of Logmeonce, many pages speak very highly of that manager. Thanks for the quick reply!