Apple removes the family emoji due to it being “non-inclusive”

Apple has removed the family emoji since it was not inclusive enough with every skin color and gender combination.

Video explanation:

What are you guys thoughts about this?

Another example of Apple innovation? removal of the family? 🙄

E: I was being mostly sarcastic about apple... I don't use this emoji anyhow never had reason for it. As a matter of fact I only use maybe a dozen emojis as is with the seldom random few.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

53 minutes ago, creat0r said:

What are you guys thoughts about this?

You could see it as a bad move but it's part of something bigger that every major corporation is doing right now. Moves like this are flashbangs thrown at you to hide something worse.

I can't elaborate on that so I'll just laugh react.

@SansVarnic here knows exactly why, I'm behaving.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

OP didnt watch the video and it shows, its only 2 min long. @creat0r, YOU POSTED IT.  The least you could do is watch the two minute video you posted to make thread out of. 

its just people trying to find the best way to implement the unicode standard, and the family emoji isnt removed, its still there, its just different.

-> Moved to Off Topic

While the video might be about technical side, the framing is social/policy thus not about technology.

If the framing is changed to be about technology, this can be moved back.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Oh boy, inclusivity. My favorite topic lately. Yeah, thanks Apple, I'll just add that to the mountain of reasons I already have for not buying your products.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

8 hours ago, starsmine said:

OP didnt watch the video and it shows, its only 2 min long. @creat0r, YOU POSTED IT.  The least you could do is watch the two minute video you posted to make thread out of. 

its just people trying to find the best way to implement the unicode standard, and the family emoji isnt removed, its still there, its just different.

I did watch it. If you want to get super technical about it, they removed 21 family emojis and kept 4, or rather they consolidated 25 family emojis into 4 really ugly buttons with silhouettes of people with no clear indication that they're family, it could just be the silhouettes of tall persons next to a dwarf (previously we saw the faces of young children, now it just a short person that could have a mustasch for all we know). The point is, the new icons are really ugly, like seriously, how often do you see people use these rounded square desaturated blue icons? I doubt they'll be used at all anymore, therefore by technically being consolidated not removed, their purpose still kind of disappear, at least in my opinion. But you're free to disagree with that.

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Off Topic

Yes I did now know where to place it, thanks.

Emojis should have never moved away from being Yellow. Adding more colors was a mistake. Make everyone have jaundice emoji.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I'll just add that to the mountain of reasons I already have for not buying your products.

Considering Apple's recent moves like removing the leather from the Apple Watch band and replacing them with eco-friendly alternatives that users hate, along with replacing fun emojis with white silhouettes in ugly desaturated squares, sometimes I don't know if I should be impressed or mad when they're following this "go woke, go broke" trend.

I don't especially care, ultraspecific emojis like this are pretty useless anyway.

I never really got why skin color specifically was considered a problem with emojis though - surely bright yellow isn't anyone's skin color? Maybe we could have made them green or blue just to drive the point home? Gender I can see I guess (although the original emoji design, i.e. 🙂, isn't really gendered in any way)... but differentiating them further seems like the wrong solution. Heck I even question the idea of differentiating the number of children, like what if I have 3? 4? 5?... and so on...

2 hours ago, creat0r said:

I did watch it. If you want to get super technical about it, they removed 21 family emojis and kept 4, or rather they consolidated 25 family emojis into 4 really ugly buttons with silhouettes of people with no clear indication that they're family, it could just be the silhouettes of tall persons next to a dwarf (previously we saw the faces of young children, now it just a short person that could have a mustasch for all we know). The point is, the new icons are really ugly, like seriously, how often do you see people use these rounded square desaturated blue icons? I doubt they'll be used at all anymore, therefore by technically being consolidated not removed, their purpose still kind of disappear, at least in my opinion. But you're free to disagree with that.

Them being ugly can be fixed, I'd rather have just a handful of generic emojis than have to sift through 20 of them just to find the one that matches the exact family I'm referring to best... leaving aside the problem with children being limited to 1 or 2, or if we really wanted to be pedantic the existence of extended families where the parents might be more than two.

< removed by moderation >

Edited by LogicalDrm

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, creat0r said:

I disagree with your framing. 
THIS IS NOT APPLE. This is a technical problem/issue with the standard being addressed. You are making up some culture war reasoning for this when there isn't one.
Unicode is a standard and fonts for it have to be built around the standard to be interoperable with everything that runs Unicode. just like ascii is a standard. There could have been a normalization mode to do this, people tried to implement a normalization mode, but the issues were 
A. obtuse usage
B. not interoperable until a standard is set. (as shown by the other side not normalizing the message and breaking it into multiple emojis)

Fonts can be changed, but All fonts for unicode have to meet the spec still. This is to meet the spec first, if they want to design something that looks prettier that meets the standard, they still can in the future. 

IF you actually had watched the video, you would already know all of this, and wouldn't be saying all of this. So again clearly, you have not watched the video you yourself posted at the start of the thread. 

< removed by moderation >

5 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Oh boy, inclusivity. My favorite topic lately. Yeah, thanks Apple, I'll just add that to the mountain of reasons I already have for not buying your products.

Again, not apple. Sorry that OP baited you. 

Edited by LogicalDrm

Don't be a bigot + it's not even Apple

5 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

>> Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! <<

Always happy to help!! 🤠

I was hoping that this could get turn to more technical side. But as OP is unwilling to take that route, locked. Before I need to remove more.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv