Barracuda vs iron wolf

Go to solution Solved by will0hlep,
39 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

So it’s like qlc nand and tlc for ssds?( obviously it’s not the same thing but the underlying idea is the same?)

also if I don’t really care about speed and the barracudas are less than half the price, would it be worth it?( how bad is the speed issue?)

also does seagate warranty cover data recovery ? Like I know u can get optional data recovery for wd drives but, seeing how 2 of mine just does and I didnt have data recovery on them, I’ve lost trust for wd as a company 

edit: my wd data ssd dies which is why I’ve stopped trusting them

While the idea is kinda the same (more space, less speed), SMR drives should be avoided in almost all cases, especially for NAS setups, unless you absolutely know what your doing.

The video I posted previously explains why you shouldn't use them in NASs and quite how bad the speed issue is. It is worth a watch.

What’s the difference between Seagate barracuda and ironwolf pro hard drives other than the speed? 

I need 2 to hard drives for a nas setup and the barracudas are half the price if the ironwolfs. Other than a slower speed, am I losing anything as per reliability or longevity?

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

Barracuda drives are mostly SMR now, and you typically don't want SMR drives in a NAS or raid configs. SMR can cause extremly slow speeds and long rebuild times. Should last a similar amount of time though.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Barracuda drives are mostly SMR now, and you typically don't want SMR drives in a NAS or raid configs. SMR can cause extremly slow speeds and long rebuild times. Should last a similar amount of time though.

Smr?

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

2 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

Smr?

Shingled magnetic Recording. Data tracks are layered on top of one another, increasing the time needed to read each sector.

Besides that, every single Seagate drive is the same. All in virutally the same chassis, just a different sticker and CMR vs SMR.

7 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

Smr?

Shingled magnetic recording.

It means the tracks/cells on the drive overlap slightly. Doing this means you can fit more data on the drive (per platter) but it is far slower because when you overwriting a cell on a SMR drive you also have to rewrite the cells that it overlaps with (this is slightly over simplified but mostly correct).

see this:

1TB and 500GB Barracuda drives are CMR (the type you usually want) but all Barracuda drives at 2TB and above are SMR and should be avoided.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

14 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Shingled magnetic recording.

It means the tracks/cells on the drive overlap slightly. Doing this means you can fit more data on the drive (per platter) but it is far slower because when you overwriting a cell on a SMR drive you also have to rewrite the cells that it overlaps with (this is slightly over simplified but mostly correct).

see this:

1TB and 500GB Barracuda drives are CMR (the type you usually want) but all Barracuda drives at 2TB and above are SMR and should be avoided.

So it’s like qlc nand and tlc for ssds?( obviously it’s not the same thing but the underlying idea is the same?)

also if I don’t really care about speed and the barracudas are less than half the price, would it be worth it?( how bad is the speed issue?)

also does seagate warranty cover data recovery ? Like I know u can get optional data recovery for wd drives but, seeing how 2 of mine just does and I didnt have data recovery on them, I’ve lost trust for wd as a company 

39 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

While the idea is kinda the same (more space, less speed), SMR drives should be avoided in almost all cases, especially for NAS setups, unless you absolutely know what your doing.

The video I posted previously explains why you shouldn't use them in NASs and quite how bad the speed issue is. It is worth a watch.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

1 hour ago, will0hlep said:

As this is my personal experience, I wouldn't use smr drives in a nas.

I tested it on a spare setup and it was slow on writes and rebuilding a failed drive was causing errors that could lead to data loss sometimes. 

Rebuild on an array of 4 1tb drives with one new drive took the system about 37 hours. 

As others said, don’t use SMR in a NAS. The time it takes to rebuild a failed array is SO egregiously long, the likelihood of a second drive failing during the rebuild process becomes an actual issue, and at that point you lose all your data if you only have single drive redundancy. 

For reference, I run a 10x4tb array with 2 drive redundancy, and I personally have had a second drive fail during a rebuild…. And I am using CMR WD Reds. So this is not just “possible…. Theoretically”. It had happened to me, and I am very thankful I had dual drive redundancy to save me. And my rebuilds take ~8-10 hours, being at risk for multiple days, no thanks, SMR is a no go. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air