What do all pc builders agree on?

xaviltt

I recently wondered what all pc's builders agree on, like the rtx 3050 is terrible, intel 14th gen is a waste of money, wifi is terrible

what do you think

1 minute ago, xaviltt said:

I recently wondered what all pc's builders agree on, like the rtx 3050 is terrible, intel 14th gen is a waste of money, wifi is terrible

what do you think

WIFI isn't terrible.  WIFI antennas usually come with Bluetooth and I use it for my XBOX controller instead of a cable.

3050 IS shit.

1 hour ago, xaviltt said:

wifi is terrible

WiFi is terrible AND a gimmick added to mainstream consumer motherboards to justify inflated prices

🤝🏻

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

what do you think

I think we can all agree that a computer needs a processor, ram, and a way to put out graphics whether integrated or a dedicated graphics card.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

like the rtx 3050 is terrible, intel 14th gen is a waste of money, wifi is terrible

I think you'll find that none of what you mentioned here is something every pc builder would agree on.

3050 is fine, I had one and was fit for purpose.

Would be curious to know why you think 14th gen as a whole is a waste of money.  Certain CPUs maybe, but all of 14th? No

Wifi is perfectly serviceable unless you're expecting something unrealistic from it.

We agree on nothing.

The 3050 has its place. It's just that it's place is very niche and not as universal as previous generations 50 tier card.

There are some scenarios on this board where if someone had some specific requirements for some new build, the 3050 is the answer.

It's just that I've seen that happen once or twice, when the 6600XT is the answer almost every other time.

and linus pouring coke in a pc is a dumb idea

6 hours ago, Lunar River said:

Would be curious to know why you think 14th gen as a whole is a waste of money.  Certain CPUs maybe, but all of 14th? No

Mass media views that become the normal view when parroted.

Like how 11th gen was such a “waste of Sand” and had its reputation destroyed so bad that within a year I got an 11900k, evga z590 dark and 32gb of dom plats for $450

The pc nerds best kept secret is cheap z590 boards and the 11400F

”oh rocket lake was so bad”

yeah ok whatever, I’m gonna buy another $100 new high end Z590 board while you ramble about gamersnexus

which is exactly what I did, examples aside, twice, I got an asus strix z590a for $100 new, and a gigabyte aurous z590i for $100 new, not even looking for them, just Newegg deals

the power of media persuasion is extremely potent, and even just a hint of how 14th gen isn’t that big of an improvement and people as a whole begin to look down on the entire thing, nobody really considers 14th gen options outside of the 14900k builds which are simply the best of the best 

we agree to disagree. 

the mixed ram and xeon is kinda interesting despite so many "hardcore" pc builders and ocers...or hdd vs ssd there a bit but its small...like vary small...

paring a old cpu with a new gpu...

the thing about gpus is there are 1080 that are faster then 40xx gpus... 🤷‍♂️ making like most of then pontless to buy...

ya they may have "ray tracing" but you cant even use it on thows cards... so 🤷‍♂️

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

6 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

paring a old cpu with a new gpu...

I exist just to be the counterexample to many of these opinions

Fear me and my athlon 64 + Vega 56 combo

IMG_1913.thumb.jpeg.49b9d560534afb3d440c8429be7b9d05.jpeg

IMG_1914.thumb.png.a497bc8490bdbbf3231000584da3f794.png

6 minutes ago, 8tg said:

I exist just to be the counterexample to many of these opinions

Fear me and my athlon 64 + Vega 56 combo

IMG_1913.thumb.jpeg.49b9d560534afb3d440c8429be7b9d05.jpeg

IMG_1914.thumb.png.a497bc8490bdbbf3231000584da3f794.png

nice ram and mb. ya we need more archived test of odd hardware and its preforamce

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

10 hours ago, xaviltt said:

what do you think

PC builders do not agree on much

- iGPU's suck

- prebuilt OEM's suck (eg Dell/HP/Lenovo) due to proprietary motherboard or chassis

- entry-level parts tend to be not good value (Eg RTX 3050/1650/1660/1050/1060, i3/Celeron) over time

- high-end parts tend to be a poor value when new

Many "Cut down" parts are usually poorly supported. Like if you need a capture card or a DAC for your system, often the parts sold as "Consumer" parts are not very good or representative of the high end part, and this has always been the case going back to the 90's.

One answer I can think of for this question, PC gaming >> console gaming, else why would one build a PC instead of buying a console?

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11a/b/g/n PCIe x1 Wifi adapter
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

Front panel connectors are annoying to plug in. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Power is required to make FPS go brrrrr

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

12 hours ago, da na said:

Using power cords from other random power supplies is NEVER good.

Do you mean the 3 pin cable that goes from the PSU to the outlet, or the cables that go from the PSU to your components?

Because the former is perfectly fine.

1 hour ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

Do you mean the 3 pin cable that goes from the PSU to the outlet, or the cables that go from the PSU to your components?

Cables from PSU to components on modular power supplies.

2 hours ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

using the modular cables from a different PSU is a good way to kill the part because the PSU's don't standardize on a pinout on the PSU side. So the GPU PCIe 6/8-pin cables are wired differently between two different models.

16 hours ago, Caroline said:

WiFi is terrible AND a gimmick added to mainstream consumer motherboards to justify inflated prices

🤝🏻

I have wifi in my system since ages and it's the best feature ever. 😍

My rig:

Case: Chieftec CI-01B-OP "The Cube"

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Rev.1

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X

Cooler: ThermalRight Assassin King 120 SE with TF-4 Thermal paste

GPU: NVidia RTX 2070 Super Blower Style (HP OEM)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 2x16

PSU: Itek BD700 DC-to-DC

9 hours ago, Kisai said:

PC builders do not agree on much

- iGPU's suck

- prebuilt OEM's suck (eg Dell/HP/Lenovo) due to proprietary motherboard or chassis

- entry-level parts tend to be not good value (Eg RTX 3050/1650/1660/1050/1060, i3/Celeron) over time

- high-end parts tend to be a poor value when new

-HD620 performed like an 8800GTX and for old games, an i5 7600 on its own in an office machine was surprisingly capable, new iris Xe igpu stuff is nuts, especially in laptops 

-office ore builds are insanely economical choices because of the office lease cycle and it’s a reasonable compromise to have to deal with their proprietary nature to get coffee lake 6 cores in complete ready to use systems for under $150

-the idea that low end parts are poor value over time is dependent on a progressive use case, a gt 1030 is inherently more useful than it was when new, because there is more it can do now than content existed for it when new, it’s not like time means it can’t play gta v in 720p anymore

-high end parts and their attribution to value is dependent on immediate need, to someone who simply wants or needs the best available hardware, the concept of economical value is entirely moot. It doesn’t matter if the 4090 is overpriced, if you need a 4090, that is simply the price of a 4090, value isn’t a question asked 

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

Front panel connectors are annoying to plug in. 

Usb type c and 3.0 headers are worse

8 hours ago, emothxughts said:

One answer I can think of for this question, PC gaming >> console gaming, else why would one build a PC instead of buying a console?

Two different hobbies entirely with the same end goal. Consoles are convenient and simple, if you just want to play games, they are dedicated machines that exist to play games.

PCs are a whole other thing, and playing games on them is entirely different even if it’s the same end goal. One is not inherently better than the other. It’s like comparing two different kinds of transit, they both get you from one place to another, and they both have their benefits and drawbacks.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

using the modular cables from a different PSU is a good way to kill the part because the PSU's don't standardize on a pinout on the PSU side. So the GPU PCIe 6/8-pin cables are wired differently between two different models.

Bring back non proprietary power supply connectors, ultra had this perfected in 2004 with male to male cables

IMG_1916.thumb.jpeg.f9c3037dbbcc4d6dcd4d61ec97649cc2.jpeg

you could use any cables you wanted since it was identical on both ends, you could snip molex connections from other power supplies and plug them into this thing