[Rant] can you guys stop?

Go to solution Solved by Levent,
8 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

Ah yes beautiful

Welcome to 2015, I suppose. That is called PWA (I am not sure though), you will get it on every website that supports.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/9658361?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

Hi there linus community.

Every visit in this forum I'm getting notification of installing this website to homepage of Andriod device.

Like can you guys stop and change that notification to ***** ad way to suggest to install website onto homepage for easy use.

By ad way i mean like all the advertisements you have on this forum.

Instead of pop-up makes me infuriating.

I can understand that's very easy but that popup annoys me everyday.

Thank you kindly.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

I have been on this forum for the last 10 years. I also used an android device for the said last 10 years. I never had that happen to me.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

I have been on this forum for the last 10 years. I also used an android device for the said last 10 years. I never had that happen to me.

Try clean browser, its for not logged in users.

And yes i finally made account to rant. 😂

Just now, BoomerDutch said:

Try clean browser, its for not logged in users.

I did, nothing. It might be the boomer in you not being able to differentiate what is a browser feature and what is a forum feature.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Ah yes beautifulScreenshot_20240130-171529.thumb.png.1cf1f3d9a0f17163eafc383c4ec98676.png

It happens every time you open the forum.

Stupid feature tbh.

Happens in chrome and brave. 🥲

8 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

Ah yes beautiful

Welcome to 2015, I suppose. That is called PWA (I am not sure though), you will get it on every website that supports.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/9658361?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

Yeah therefore my request to staff to remove it, i have a good feeling that no one uses that feature?

Or am i that really that behind.

Although its also a method to push users to register to make that go away.

Since I'm logged in, its gone.

1 minute ago, BoomerDutch said:

Yeah therefore my request to staff to remove it, i have a good feeling that no one uses that feature?

Or am i that really that behind.

Once again, wrong.

Yeah you are really behind.

It's not a forum feature it's a browser feature. Lmg has no control over this.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

It's not a forum feature it's a browser feature. Lmg has no control over this.

Well yes I've already established that but i don't think its entirely true otherwise that would appear to every website?

That would nightmare if you ask me.

Like if you're on website that ain't favorable and that notification comes up and you accidentally clicked install.

Yeah that ain't fun ride.

Regardless I've resolved to registering and that popup wont appear anymore apparently.

I've received that once, on new device. There are far more intrusive sites. Have you tried Reddit? X? Facebook?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I've received that once, on new device. There are far more intrusive sites. Have you tried Reddit? X? Facebook?

Huh that's funny not on reddit.

On reddit is more Friendly its asking to go app or chrome.

Like bottom one.

But Facebook I ain't visiting that place heck its probably blocked.

X no notifications.

As to why I'm against this method because it has same behaviour as pop-ups gives me malicious vibes but i know LLT no worries there.

So far as i can remember Netherlands articles doesn't give you that popup except one as far I've experienced.

And funny thing is it keeps coming back if you close the app and open again.

48 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

And funny thing is it keeps coming back if you close the app and open again.

This would indicate that your browser doesn't save cookies or you are using some extra "privacy" function that disables cookies or clears them when browser is fully closed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

39 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

This would indicate that your browser doesn't save cookies or you are using some extra "privacy" function that disables cookies or clears them when browser is fully closed.

Yeah that's the one, cheers mate.

Kinda illogical to tie notifications to cookies tho.

Browser should know how often to introduce such feature in time.

2 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

Kinda illogical to tie notifications to cookies tho.

That's the entire point of cookies. A small chunk of data to relay information about you or your preferences to the site. When you click the "x" or "no" on a prompt like that, it tells the site: "I don't want this and don't bother me again." If you don't retain that data, it will just ask you over and over in perpetuity.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

1 minute ago, Kid.Lazer said:

That's the entire point of cookies. A small chunk of data to relay information about you or your preferences to the site. When you click the "x" or "no" on a prompt like that, it tells the site: "I don't want this and don't bother me again." If you don't retain that data, it will just ask you over and over in perpetuity.

Kinda defeats point of "its not forum feature"

It's solved anyways, I've registered account and my problem is gone.

It's someone's else problem now.

8 minutes ago, CyberneticTitan said:

For the record it is absolutely possible from a LMG/developer side to disable these PWA popups.

One possible solution is to just stop this manifest from being served: https://linustechtips.com/manifest.webmanifest/

Considering how often (still) people ask for app for the forums...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Considering how often (still) people ask for app for the forums...

Which is fair enough but can it not be different way instead at start of website?

For example in settings which you can create button "install LLT forum app"

Or actually at foot where you can click to have that appear and install.

Kinda stupid to auto serve manifest like that.

Then again I'm also stubborn to have all privacy features on and clearing data everytime. Geuss it's one of benefits of being data less life.