Frozen & Buzzing then no POST

ExtraTankz
Go to solution Solved by ExtraTankz,

Sorry for the delay, I went ahead and swapped the PSU from the old PC to the newer broken one & it fixed the ramping up on startup but the issue with the freezing and buzzing was solved by removing a faulty RAM stick, thank you all for the help but next time don't argue as much lol

My sister's computer broke the other day, she was playing old non power intensive games then her speakers started buzzing, pc lockup and frozen... She held down the power button because it was all she could do and when she turned it on again it didn't boot or post, it took a minute before anything happened... The PSU fan started ramping up like an airplane and she shut it off midway through.

Write computer specs, also upload a video what happens when turning on pc, q - post ? Leds? Also tell us what you did already.

It looks like a PSU issue.

Well It's not my PC so she didn't want me to start working on it but it is an HP Compaq 6200 pro sff & it has 8 GB of RAM, an I5 2400 and an gt 730... It has stock PSU though.

8 minutes ago, Chapunna said:

It looks like a PSU issue.

Please, explain how did you come up with that statement?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Given its age I'd certainly suspect its a PSU issue, but I agree just stating outright that it is, not a great idea.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

16 minutes ago, ExtraTankz said:

The PSU fan started ramping up like an airplane and she shut it off midway through.

Its time to change psu arent you agree?

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Given its age I'd certainly suspect its a PSU issue, but I agree just stating outright that it is, not a great idea.

We dont even know if its actually the PSU fan ramping up either, given the problem, I bet its the CPU or case fan ramping up which would be primary thing to happen in case of a memory training failure.

Just now, Chapunna said:

Its time to change psu arent you agree?

I dont, not yet. You keep coming into conclusions without even attempting to digest the issue. I told you twice now.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

The thing is, it's built into the case... I have a spare PC of a similar model but that pc is broken

4 hours ago, Levent said:

We dont even know if its actually the PSU fan ramping up either, given the problem, I bet its the CPU or case fan ramping up which would be primary thing to happen in case of a memory training failure.

I dont, not yet. You keep coming into conclusions without even attempting to digest the issue. I told you twice now.

Stock hp psu wont last lifetime i guess.

4 hours ago, ExtraTankz said:

The thing is, it's built into the case... I have a spare PC of a similar model but that pc is broken

Buy exact model of psu.

Just now, Chapunna said:

Dude try to understand what I am saying here, you are recommending people to spend money on shit you dont even know if its broken. What a shit advice.

I don't know if it's for sure a psu issue rn, I'm not that good with computers so I don't want to go buying things and breaking things all willy nilly.

4 minutes ago, Levent said:

You mentioned memory issues, this PC did have a broken memory stick at one point, if it was in first slot PC wouldn't boot... But it's worked fine for a year in last slot

Just now, ExtraTankz said:

You mentioned memory issues, this PC did have a broken memory stick at one point, if it was in first slot PC wouldn't boot... But it's worked fine for a year in last slot

Yeah usually when memory training starts, fans are set to a relatively high speeds until bios initializes properly. You can attempt to swap RAM and CPU with a working system and see if issues appear. You can also swap in known working ram into broken device (and if it doesnt fix it, the CPU) see if anything changes.

5 minutes ago, Levent said:

Dude try to understand what I am saying here, you are recommending people to spend money on shit you dont even know if its broken. What a shit advice.

Yes i dont know what the issue is, i need a video to recognize problem. but psu dont cost million, its stock hp psu like 20 - 30 usd, it would be not a bad idea to replace psu in every 4 - 5 years.

Just now, Chapunna said:

Yes i dont know what the issue is, i need a video to recognize problem. but psu dont cost million, its stock hp psu like 20 - 30 usd, it would be not a bad idea to replace psu in every 4 - 5 years.

Please stop. It is also a shit advice to recommend people to replace working components in a regular interval. If its working then it makes absolutely no sense to replace it. You dont need a video to help people either, you are just making excuses.

Please stop. It is also a shit advice to recommend people to replace working components in a regular interval. If its working then it makes absolutely no sense to replace it. You dont need a video to help people either, you are just making excuses.

I agree, 5 year old psu is in working condition today, tomorrow and next day, but then what will happen no one knows.

Thats why i recommend him to replace psu when its not too late.

I replaced my psu Deepcool De600 V2 in 3 years becouse of fan sound.

24 minutes ago, Chapunna said:

Thats why i recommend him to replace psu when its not too late.

My first PC from 2007 has had all components swapped but the psu it came with. It still works. Don't underestimate psu's lifespan.

Sounds more like a memory issue to me, but won't know for sure without testing. If possible try different ram in the system, if it still has the same problem go from there. If it already had a dead slot on the motherboard from previous damage or defect, it is more likely that the other slot could have gone bad. But again, won't be able to determine without further testing. You said you have another of the same machines? Does it have ram in it you can use to test this one with?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Sounds more like a memory issue to me, but won't know for sure without testing. If possible try different ram in the system, if it still has the same problem go from there. If it already had a dead slot on the motherboard from previous damage or defect, it is more likely that the other slot could have gone bad. But again, won't be able to determine without further testing. You said you have another of the same machines? Does it have ram in it you can use to test this one with?

No, all RAM from that machine is dead, I have no spares.

48 minutes ago, Chapunna said:

The problem with this is HP proprietary power supplies typically aren't mass manufactured(unless it was used in multiple models), if OP were to buy a new one they would most likely be buying a used one, since they aren't made anymore today any proprietary PSUs even ones listed as new are most likely going to be just as old as the one OP is replacing, I would recommend they test and troubleshoot more before just going out and buying one without confirming first, in a lot of cases these PSUs aren't readily available also and need to be ordered in from a different country or can take weeks to get. I've seen you posting a lot recently and a lot of your recommendations are for people to just buy new stuff right off the bat, without doing really any troubleshooting or diagnostics, it's honestly more of a hindrance than a help.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

5 minutes ago, ExtraTankz said:

DDR3 is plenty cheap anymore. I see 8gb dual channel kits for ~$10 on eBay.

Is there any machine you can borrow RAM from to test? I'd rather use parts you have access to than suggest buying parts before we know for sure what's dead.

Do you have access to a motherboard speaker?

Motherboard Speaker – Internal | Cyber Computer Shop

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, ExtraTankz said:

That would be the next step I'd check, if you don't have memory available for testing there isn't much else you can do. A CMOS reset on the off chance it's some sort of motherboard or bios hiccup. Other than that you are missing components needed for further diagnostics. You don't have any compatible ram in any system? A family members or friends you can borrow? 

Sorry for the delay, I went ahead and swapped the PSU from the old PC to the newer broken one & it fixed the ramping up on startup but the issue with the freezing and buzzing was solved by removing a faulty RAM stick, thank you all for the help but next time don't argue as much lol

1 hour ago, Chapunna said:

I agree, 5 year old psu is in working condition today, tomorrow and next day, but then what will happen no one knows.

power supplies dont spontaniously explode after N years, i havent had a single *old* power supply go spontaniously thermonuclear from old age.

and i run power supplies where the power connectors are actually falling apart from old age...

HP's power supplies are shockingly well made.. as it turns out big corporations dont like high RMA rates either. 

I replaced my psu Deepcool De600 V2 in 3 years becouse of fan sound.

you bought a shit power supply, replaced it because the fan's bearings were starting to wear after 3 years, and you presume this is now normal operation for any users?

let me follow your example here:

- HP power supply from an old workstation, model number HP-D2567F3P, i dont exactly have a datecode on it, but it's at least 18 years old. it's been decomissioned 2-3 years ago after the SATA plugs started falling apart, but it's still my go-to bench power supply, because it's still rock solid. the original motherboard it was paired with is still on the top shelf somewhere waiting to be recapped, because *EVERY* cap on the motherboard has leaked.

- Delta DPS460-CB in my HP XW4400 for testing old hardware / windows XP software. still in occasional use, i actually have a 2005 datecode on this one. i use it because even the fan is still good as new.

- i cant immediately find my oldest power supply, it's been replaced a few years back because i needed more +12v for the amount of lights i stuck in the machine. it ran my W98SE retro pc for a long time, it ran WAAAAAAY too long as an office pc before that, it lived a good life, it's still in working condition despite the caps looking like iminent disaster.. i just replaced it because that pc now has ~30 watts worth of RGB lighting in it, on top of the 2 CD drives, 2 floppy drives, and 2 hard drives this power supply wasnt designed for in the first place. but.. the datecode on this thing is 1995, and it works to this day. havent even replaced the fan.

the less ridiculous examples:

- the corsair RM750 in my main pc is actually about exactly 9 years old, i planned on a replacement, but i just stuck the replacement in my new server instead.

- on the topic of new server... my old server has a seasonic prime titanium 750W, been running 24/7 for at least 5 years. i dont have a datecode for it on hand, it's been in there longer than my account history goes for the retailer i got it from.

- the cheapo bequiet something bronze in my media pc is at leats as old as the seasonic, this system is many ways of broken, but the shit-tier power supply does not appear to be the cause. (the €50 motherboard with embedded cpu is the most likely cause here...) been running 24/7 just the same.

- even the corsair HX850 in my 'new' server is already close to 3 years old, and i havent even finished migrating yet (god help me.. 😛)

as for OP's exact case.. those compaq pro's were the backbone of the corporate world, they're built like a brick shithouse, they're made to last a decade, because some businesses actually dont expect replacing them before they turn 8 years old. the only time i've ever had to replace one of these the replacement was €150 for a new one by the way.

or.. to make a very long point very short.. you are absolutely, completely, talking out of your rear end baselessly assuming this *must* be a power supply issue... if you buy something of at least acceptable quality the power supply should well outlast the expected lifetime of a computer.

You have just as much chance of your brand new power supply having a fault and going thermonuclear as your 3 year old power supply going thermonuclear.

and in that premise, the 'limited lifespan' parts that are in a power supply also exist on a motherboard, so should we then start swapping out boards every 3 years too?

-----

BUT.. to get back to topic...

the compaq 6200 PRO SFF is one of those HP's where the psu fan is partially responsible for some motherboard cooling too, what i gather they do is the psu just slowly ramps it up waiting for the motherboard to communicate.

the described behavior is pretty much what i'd expect those boxes to do when they're "braindead". now - what the cause can be.. my bet is on motherboard or ram, unless that GT730 somehow gave the ghost spectacularly.

try booting it without the GPU, if that does nothing it's time to parts cannon it.

now.. a bit of a far fetch.. but i've had a pc hang once because one of the connectors wasnt making good contact, and it caused some power rails to get out of spec.

or.. i'm gonna be fair here and propose that it may have just been the old thing's time to go, and any troubleshooting isnt worth the price of a prodesk 600G1, which they pretty much throw out for shipping cost these days.

46 minutes ago, manikyath said:

power supplies dont spontaniously explode after N years, i havent had a single *old* power supply go spontaniously thermonuclear from old age.

and i run power supplies where the power connectors are actually falling apart from old age...

HP's power supplies are shockingly well made.. as it turns out big corporations dont like high RMA rates either. 

you bought a shit power supply, replaced it because the fan's bearings were starting to wear after 3 years, and you presume this is now normal operation for any users?

let me follow your example here:

- HP power supply from an old workstation, model number HP-D2567F3P, i dont exactly have a datecode on it, but it's at least 18 years old. it's been decomissioned 2-3 years ago after the SATA plugs started falling apart, but it's still my go-to bench power supply, because it's still rock solid. the original motherboard it was paired with is still on the top shelf somewhere waiting to be recapped, because *EVERY* cap on the motherboard has leaked.

- Delta DPS460-CB in my HP XW4400 for testing old hardware / windows XP software. still in occasional use, i actually have a 2005 datecode on this one. i use it because even the fan is still good as new.

- i cant immediately find my oldest power supply, it's been replaced a few years back because i needed more +12v for the amount of lights i stuck in the machine. it ran my W98SE retro pc for a long time, it ran WAAAAAAY too long as an office pc before that, it lived a good life, it's still in working condition despite the caps looking like iminent disaster.. i just replaced it because that pc now has ~30 watts worth of RGB lighting in it, on top of the 2 CD drives, 2 floppy drives, and 2 hard drives this power supply wasnt designed for in the first place. but.. the datecode on this thing is 1995, and it works to this day. havent even replaced the fan.

the less ridiculous examples:

- the corsair RM750 in my main pc is actually about exactly 9 years old, i planned on a replacement, but i just stuck the replacement in my new server instead.

- on the topic of new server... my old server has a seasonic prime titanium 750W, been running 24/7 for at least 5 years. i dont have a datecode for it on hand, it's been in there longer than my account history goes for the retailer i got it from.

- the cheapo bequiet something bronze in my media pc is at leats as old as the seasonic, this system is many ways of broken, but the shit-tier power supply does not appear to be the cause. (the €50 motherboard with embedded cpu is the most likely cause here...) been running 24/7 just the same.

- even the corsair HX850 in my 'new' server is already close to 3 years old, and i havent even finished migrating yet (god help me.. 😛)

as for OP's exact case.. those compaq pro's were the backbone of the corporate world, they're built like a brick shithouse, they're made to last a decade, because some businesses actually dont expect replacing them before they turn 8 years old. the only time i've ever had to replace one of these the replacement was €150 for a new one by the way.

or.. to make a very long point very short.. you are absolutely, completely, talking out of your rear end baselessly assuming this *must* be a power supply issue... if you buy something of at least acceptable quality the power supply should well outlast the expected lifetime of a computer.

You have just as much chance of your brand new power supply having a fault and going thermonuclear as your 3 year old power supply going thermonuclear.

and in that premise, the 'limited lifespan' parts that are in a power supply also exist on a motherboard, so should we then start swapping out boards every 3 years too?

-----

BUT.. to get back to topic...

the compaq 6200 PRO SFF is one of those HP's where the psu fan is partially responsible for some motherboard cooling too, what i gather they do is the psu just slowly ramps it up waiting for the motherboard to communicate.

the described behavior is pretty much what i'd expect those boxes to do when they're "braindead". now - what the cause can be.. my bet is on motherboard or ram, unless that GT730 somehow gave the ghost spectacularly.

try booting it without the GPU, if that does nothing it's time to parts cannon it.

now.. a bit of a far fetch.. but i've had a pc hang once because one of the connectors wasnt making good contact, and it caused some power rails to get out of spec.

or.. i'm gonna be fair here and propose that it may have just been the old thing's time to go, and any troubleshooting isnt worth the price of a prodesk 600G1, which they pretty much throw out for shipping cost these days.

You calling a deepcool de600 bad psu? Its Real 450W, I buyed it for 37 usd, it was new, i opened box, go check all stores, you cant get better psu for 37 usd.