Fractal Torrent (full size), is it that good ?

Looking at my next build, for a nice white case around 200EUR (budget around 1500EUR but no real cap, will reuse my current GPU and SSDs, in sig below)

I made a shortlist with

- LianLi Lancool III : classic style, seems very good at everything, build quality, ease of build, features...the easy choice with not much risk 🙂 

- Antec Performance 1 FT : like the design, but seems less practical, has less stellar reviews

- And the Fractal Torrent : original design, very  good airflow, good reviews, but I'm still wondering if the "weird" PSU location at top is a pro or a con for my build

Thanks to anyone thatcould share experience with one of those, especially the Torrent!

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

The only other case I'd replace my Torrent with would be the Asus PA602. https://shop.asus.com/us/90dc00j0-b08000-proart-pa602.html

I still prefer the Torrent as I'm 1000% a believer in bottom intake for air cooled GPU cooling. I run all the fans at a low RPM nearly all the time and the machine is *silent*. 

Playing games at 4K with a 4090 I have to mute the game and get right up next to the case to hear it at all. I can't ask for more.

Now, this is for air cooling. For water cooling, things change and yeah that Lancool III looks fantastic. 

4 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Looking at my next build, for a nice white case around 200EUR (budget around 1500EUR but no real cap, will reuse my current GPU and SSDs, in sig below)

I made a shortlist with

- LianLi Lancool III : classic style, seems very good at everything, build quality, ease of build, features...the easy choice with not much risk 🙂 

- Antec Performance 1 FT : like the design, but seems less practical, has less stellar reviews

- And the Fractal Torrent : original design, very  good airflow, good reviews, but I'm still wondering if the "weird" PSU location at top is a pro or a con for my build

Thanks to anyone thatcould share experience with one of those, especially the Torrent!

I personally don't think so, as someone who owns a FD Torrent (full sized).

It compromises too hard on the power supply, where you'll have an absurd amount of heat going through it. I had an issue with a Thermaltake power supply that would overheat unless I had the top off and the PSU flipped over so it could get a fresh intake. The PSU was probably defective and I returned it anyways, but the scenario was repeatable. When I had my Seasonic Vertex in the system (before transplanting back into a 4000D to them a FD North), there was an absurd amount of heat coming out of the PSU, even with a rear exhaust fan installed.

I personally think the PSU compartment needs its own airflow channel that doesn't involve being an exclusive exhaust for the PC. They simply could've made it a bit taller or created airflow channels through the top ribbing so it could just take fresh air from the front intakes but they didn't.

The case operates off of super positive pressure, with 2x200mm and 3x140mm with at most 1x140mm exhaust and the PSU. No matter how much positive pressure is involved, if you dont have enough exhaust, there will be a decent amount passing through the PSU, potentially enough to cause issues.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

6 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

I'm still wondering if the "weird" PSU location at top is a pro or a con for my build

I'm a few days away from building in the torrent, but I will say this:

There's nothing weird about the PSU placement in the torrent; in fact if anything it's the standard prior to to 2010 when they started placing them at the bottom for custom PC's. Many OEM pre builts still put them at the top for example. 

That being said, you may find that you need to route the PCI-E cables for your GPU either in awkward or unaesthetic ways due to the length requirements needed. You can get a cable extension, or get custom cables (the route I'm taking).

Lancool 3 was also on my short list of cases due to the mechanical features and stellar performance. The Antec case honestly feels like a second-rate Torrent in terms of aesthetics and theoretical performance (180x38mm > 140x30mm)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

My Super Flower Leadex 1000W runs in hybrid mode and rarely turns its fan on (I know, you hear it.. .damn you ball bearing fans) but I've noticed no ill effects. 

That being said I'm going to pimp the new Asus PA602 (that no one seems to know anything about just yet). About the same size and price as the Torrent but with a bottom mounted PSU. Even bigger 200mm fans as well. 

Regardless Torrent is still my personal top pick, I can't find any faults. 

ProArt PA602|Gaming Cases|ASUS Global

9 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I'm a few days away from building in the torrent, but I will say this:

There's nothing weird about the PSU placement in the torrent; in fact if anything it's the standard prior to to 2010 when they started placing them at the bottom for custom PC's. Many OEM pre builts still put them at the top for example. 

That being said, you may find that you need to route the PCI-E cables for your GPU either in awkward or unaesthetic ways due to the length requirements needed. You can get a cable extension, or get custom cables (the route I'm taking).

Lancool 3 was also on my short list of cases due to the mechanical features and stellar performance. The Antec case honestly feels like a second-rate Torrent in terms of aesthetics and theoretical performance (180x38mm > 140x30mm)

PCs in 2010 or OEM pre-builts aren't drawing upwards of 700W where having your PSU as a top mounted exhaust might be of concern.

Its overall a decent case, but there's major problems with it I found in my extreme use-case where it was unnecessarily large without any major advantages.

13 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Power supply eats way too much heat as one of the only exhausts.

My suggestions that would make that not a problem.

image.png.92644d6bf52ec95135aa22f764537101.png

17 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Even bigger 200mm fans as well. 

Oh fuck yeah

Normally most of the "big brand" cases suck (EVGA's for as fantastic of a GPU maker they were had some of the worst case designs) so to see an actually good case come form them (clearly targeting the torrent down to small things like fan hubs and rolling wheels for ease-of-movement) is cool to see. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

25 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

My Super Flower Leadex 1000W runs in hybrid mode and rarely turns its fan on (I know, you hear it.. .damn you ball bearing fans) but I've noticed no ill effects. 

That being said I'm going to pimp the new Asus PA602 (that no one seems to know anything about just yet). About the same size and price as the Torrent but with a bottom mounted PSU. Even bigger 200mm fans as well. 

Yeah saw this PA602 too on a YT vid, looks great, but only in black (and I'm not a painter), and not available in Europe anyway

12 minutes ago, Agall said:

Power supply eats way too much heat as one of the only exhausts.

My suggestions that would make that not a problem.

Good improvement idea, but my PC is in a niche under my desk and works with reversed airflow (there's some cable holes near the rear to allow air to enter), so air would have to run from left to right, and the PSU heat can't go anywhere then (there's some space on the top up to my desk drawer but hot air will stay there...)

Otoh bottom intake would be a good thing in my case

Didn't think PSU would be such of an heat provider, will put there a 1000W (HXi or such)

Damn, all that doesn't really help me to decide finally!!!

Will cross out the Antec tho, indeed looks a tier below

Thanks for the insights anyway !

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

What about O11 XL? ( I may be biased though 😄 )

Not possible, my niche is 260mm wide, aquariums don't fit

Pic will be more clear :

image.thumb.jpeg.f73ac68fc71869626bad87f6520ac8e1.jpeg

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Pic will be more clear :

Hmm, nothing about that looks great for any case, really. Is there any ventilation in the rear? 

6 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Pic will be more clear :

TBH, a case like the 5000D might be best in this scenario that has a front and backside exhaust. That case itself might be too big, but the idea still applies. Otherwise, rigging up some fans to exhaust the rear exhaust of the case laterally would help in this scenario. Can get USB wired ones or repurpose old fans.

34 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Hmm, nothing about that looks great for any case, really. Is there any ventilation in the rear? 

There's a 5cm x 10cm cut on the panel, at the level of the electrical plugs, to pass cables, and a small hole on the top to pass cables to the desk

And I put in  the back a big BQ SW5 Pro as intake, my top 2x140mm rad fans also are intake, and the 3x120mm front are exhaust

It works quite well, as the hot air don't stagnate as it did on a standard airflow, CPU and GPU are under 70C gaming, and at full load CPU reaches maybe 80C for a short time (I don't need long full load work)

Fans controlled by Fancontrol (except GPU, where I use Adrenalin as Fancontrol don't work), curves at a narrow range 40% to 60% speeds, I prefer a constant humming to a silent then loud then silent etc PC 😛 

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

And the Fractal Torrent : original design, very  good airflow, good reviews, but I'm still wondering if the "weird" PSU location at top is a pro or a con for my build

psu on top is very good for airflow. 

however,  i bought the fractal design torrent and returned it pretty much immediately due to its flimsiness and poor build quality. i also didn't like the weird glass panel and how it's attached to the case (very poor mechanism) 

if you're look for good airflow cases i would look at zeaginal,  my next case will be zeaginal. 

mind you, im happy with my current inwin case (very high quality and sturdy) and airflow isn't actually bad (otherwise my temps would be much higher lol)

maybe i also get another inwin case, but probably zeaginal.  

The GOAT

https://www.newegg.com/blue-white-zeaginal-zc-09-micro-atx/p/2AM-05DU-00036?item=9SIAZUEJ2P4033&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-_-cases (computer cases - atx form)-_-zeaginal-_-9SIAZUEJ2P4033&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic+shopping&utm_campaign=knc-googleadwords-_-cases (computer cases - atx form)-_-zeaginal-_-9SIAZUEJ2P4033&source=region&srsltid=AfmBOooGm5wYk98_bBssNlMQvK_eK7q4oFbR9RPzgTmXooQStarqeJGhhjk

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

52 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Pic will be more clear :

ah, this is bad, well you need a new room! 😉

ps: im serious,  even if it would fit (doubt it) this baby needs *air* that's the whole point of an airflow case...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

due to its flimsiness and poor build quality.

Weird. I despise cheaply made cases and can’t say I thought this was true of the Torrent at all. Or frankly any of my Fractal cases over the years. 

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Weird. I despise cheaply made cases and can’t say I thought this was true of the Torrent at all. Or frankly any of my Fractal cases over the years. 

maybe it's just flimsy compared to my inwin... but it also had a really badly done paintjob, so i just wasn't impressed at all, mind you I like the design otherwise 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

maybe it's just flimsy compared to my inwin... but it also had a really badly done paintjob, so i just wasn't impressed at all, mind you I like the design otherwise 

Well, even GNSteve says "good build quality", and he's not an easily satisfied person when  it comes to PC parts   😛

11 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

ah, this is bad, well you need a new room! 😉

ps: im serious,  even if it would fit (doubt it) this baby needs *air* that's the whole point of an airflow case...

Well, would like to as well, but won't be possible soon! 

Plus I really like my clean minimalistic setup 🙂 

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Well, even GNSteve says "good build quality", and he's not an easily satisfied person when  it comes to PC parts   😛

Well, would like to as well, but won't be possible soon! 

Plus I really like my clean minimalistic setup 🙂 

i like it too, seems practical for the small space...

i just really like the design of the yeston open air cases (they're basically almost closed, pretty clever) and as said even the color came off from the fractal case, i was really disappointed, especially since it cost twice as much as my inwin 301.

i don't think the fractal is bad per say, just really you feel the massmarket build quality,  not a fan simply.

im also surprised it fits, the thing is gigantic lol.

also btw i don't have much space either,  but I just put my pc on an ikea cube... doesn't take much space and it gets lots of air. 😉

IMG_20210730_184453.thumb.jpg.6585b916a5b0d77d541e46b975fe5a08.jpg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just adding in that I built a new rig just over a year ago, utilizing the Torrent and I could not be happier with the results. I'm a big fan of air cooling and as many others have stated, it is DEAD QUIET. When I start pushing 3440x1440p 120hz games to max settings, the fans do ramp up, but it is not "noisy" and even still, most of the time I'm jamming something like that, I have headphones on anyways.

No problem with my PSU in my Torrent Compact. I have used a high speed 120 as exhaust, a 140mm TL-D14X as exhaust, run no exhaust and have never had a problem with my PSU. No hot air.. only warm if my system is doing over 500w at the wall for extended periods. I killed a Thermaltake PSU once. Would not recommend. I do like that new Antec case.. but might get a full sized Torrent.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

I also forgot to mention that the plastic on my Define R4, you know.. the whole front .. 😄 .. does not exactly feel like it’s of the high quality type,  and it is definitely nicer than my Meshify C..

It’s a good case that provides enviable performance, imo 🙂

Bump

I've watched some more Antec Perf FT1 reviews/build vids, and consensus is that it is a very good case 🙄

So didn't progress on my dilemma Lancool III/Torrent/ Antec FT1 😛 

All 3 seem quite good, good airflow, good features, damn

I still disagree with Marks comments on build quality. There is nothing flimsy on the case.