Fractal Torrent (full size), is it that good ?

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

I still disagree with Marks comments on build quality. There is nothing flimsy on the case.

Only saw it on vids but it looks "normal", neither great (as LLL3) nor bad

It's still lacking  rear panels to hide the serpents nest of cables (esp. since it has a rear/right glass panel !), both LL L3 and Antec P1FT have it

But it has a fan hub, the others don't (ok it costs 10 bucks but still)

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Yeah.. just have to do a good job with cable management. Still remember Tech Jesus' review on the Torrent Compact, biggest complaint was cable management.. then you see his cables lol.. wtf. If you take your time its fine, you get pretty good at it after awhile 🙂

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

I've previously built in the Torrent Compact and it's a very nice case. PSU placement didn't feel like an issue, and the available room for cable management wasn't an issue either. It's an air cooling case, but an AIO can work just fine if you put in in the front.

If you don't have any weird requirements like 8 HDDs, it's a case I'd certainly recommend. Looks good, works great, and it's convenient enough to build in. The biggest drawback is probably that it's not the cheapest.

6 hours ago, XNOR said:

I've previously built in the Torrent Compact and it's a very nice case. PSU placement didn't feel like an issue, and the available room for cable management wasn't an issue either. It's an air cooling case, but an AIO can work just fine if you put in in the front.

If you don't have any weird requirements like 8 HDDs, it's a case I'd certainly recommend. Looks good, works great, and it's convenient enough to build in. The biggest drawback is probably that it's not the cheapest.

The Torrent is really tempting, but the cable management seems very difficult esp?. with extensions and a coupe drives... which I use too!

Not much space near a big PSU, nothing can run in the top...

image.thumb.png.0e110efeb32ffd3a2e25493e7dd0c35c.png

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

I really have to question the skill of some of these tubers. 

Like why would I want to watch a bunch of noobs.

This is my Torrent Compact.. the hard one to do I guess?

cableside.thumb.jpeg.b979a5ddd6dc284975d356a6a94c833d.jpeg

cablesideglass.thumb.jpeg.f092a449e0a91acb9f752a9c1cc1c25c.jpeg

Its an old pic, I have since refined the setup even more. But in that pic the glass snapped on no problem, and didn't try to pop off, but I still use a thumbscrew.

Edit:

I do not use extensions, so might be a problem.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

On 1/14/2024 at 12:07 PM, PDifolco said:

The Torrent is really tempting, but the cable management seems very difficult esp?. with extensions and a coupe drives... which I use too!

Not much space near a big PSU, nothing can run in the top...

I'm not sure what issues you see. You don't need anything other than the PSU cabling in the top portion. If you follow the maximum PSU size Fractal indicates you should be good. Having the open side makes routing PSU cables quite convenient. Both the full size Torrent and the compact have a fair amount of horizontal and vertical routing space behind the motherboard.

1 hour ago, XNOR said:

I'm not sure what issues you see. You don't need anything other than the PSU cabling in the top portion. If you follow the maximum PSU size Fractal indicates you should be good. Having the open side makes routing PSU cables quite convenient. Both the full size Torrent and the compact have a fair amount of horizontal and vertical routing space behind the motherboard.

From the vids I've watched, the PSU compartment in the Torrent still leave way less space for packing cables than the standard bottom shroud

So as I need 3x 8pin, one molex, one SATA, 2x EPS, and the 24pins cable, and use extensions for 8pins, EPS and 24pins (for looks), plus all fans PWM and RGB cabling, seems there'll be a whole mess of cables and connectors hanging in the back with not that much depth yo the panel

For example this below doesn't look great, and not the fault of the user (with no SSD nor HDD, and I got one of each)

Look at Leo's face 😛 

image.thumb.png.976f5bf7c34c192a6f4da622df9dd389.png

image.thumb.png.3cf96f69467b326114cd3c8702062272.png

I didn't think it was that bad. You have a lot more room than you think as once the cover is on there is a big void from the PSU compartment forward. 

Luckily I didn't have much to hide away up there. 

I do however regret having the RGB version. That added cabling ads a TON of bulk that I'd rather not have. I'm using the set screw to hold the back panel glass on.. it closes but I don't trust it.

IMG_0817.jpg

I got the blackout version I thought, the only rgb is the psu shroud which I didn't hook up.  My biggest gripe is as big as this case is, you have more room in the back with a 4000d then you do the torrent.  IMO it needs to be about 1/4" wider, if not 1/2" wider.  I can't imagine trying to fit controllers and what not in the back.  That's my only Negative.  The rest of the issues I mention below are a result of motherboard and psu choice, rather than case choice.

Positives:

• Built in 9-in-1 pwm fan controller
  • Fans are very quiet and move a lot of air.  Even on silent profile in the bios
  • GPU Sag Bracket included and attached to the case.  Once installed you don't even see it unless you look for it
  • 2x 180mm fans in the front, 3x 140mm fans on the bottom included
  • Top tier dust filters
  • Rear Velcro straps is a nice touch

Please note I don't cable manage the back of my systems, as I take them apart too much to swap things in and out.  This system is a 14900k and a 6750xt with an Asus Tuf z790 Wi-Fi d4.   CPU Cooler is a dark rock pro elite 5.  Exhaust fan is a bequiet 140mm Silent Wings.  PSU is a EVGA SuperNova GA2 850w.

When planning to build in this case, keep in mind you will benefit from a 24pin right angle adapter or a motherboard that is already right angled.  The usb3 & c are in bad spots on this motherboard for this case, so get a motherboard with those on the bottom, and also right angle preferred.  My 24pin from my PSU is so stiff, in this scenario if I put it through the grommet, it pulls the grommet out of the case.  So, I just ran it up the side, so it looks straight.  Only reason I used white gpu cables here, is b/c I was out of black.  I used some black velcro straps to break up the white.  I also don't like the psu connectors for the CPU, but I'm done with it for now, it is what it is.  This motherboard has 8pin and a 4pin for the cpu.  The PSU only 2x8pins.  Perfect storm for a disaster if you will.  But like I mentioned above I'll likely tear it apart *soon* 

ps - Yes I have psu 24pin extensions, however just not enough room in the back to get the side panel on, and I'm not about to use the glass to push them in.  

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

I got 90 degree adapters for the USB cables. 

X670E Taichi is wider than most so they cover a bit of the grommet. IMG_0815.jpg.2d4d597b18f7fa4f52da63613da1bc20.jpg

On 1/10/2024 at 5:00 PM, PDifolco said:

Not possible, my niche is 260mm wide, aquariums don't fit

Pic will be more clear :

image.thumb.jpeg.f73ac68fc71869626bad87f6520ac8e1.jpeg

What's that cave on the left? 😉

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂