Microsoft Adds Copilot Key to Keyboard Specs

Nimoy007

Microsoft appears to be adding a Copilot key that launches their AI assistant, Copilot, in supported OS. In older versions of Windows, it apparently will open the Windows Search.

spacer.png

Microsoft is adding a dedicated Copilot key to PC keyboards, adjusting the standard Windows keyboard layout for the first time since the Windows key first appeared on its Natural Keyboard in 1994.

Sources: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/01/ai-comes-for-your-pcs-keyboard-as-microsoft-adds-dedicated-copilot-key/

Engineer, electronics enthusiast, maker. My devices/tech:

Spoiler

Desktop (Main): i7-7700k/EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090/32" Curved QLED monitor

Desktop (HTPC): Ryzen 3-3200G/RX 580

Handheld: ASUS ROG Ally Z1 Extreme

Laptop: ASUS ROG Strix G15 Advantage

VR: Quest 2

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

Dev Boards: TI MSP430/Arduino Uno/Raspberry Pi 4/esp32

Sound: Sony WH-1000XM4, HyperX Quadcast

Camera: Sony a6300 w/ 18-135mm kit lens

So it's replacing the Office Key? I've never seen it before, but it supposedly exists, I suppose on Surface stuff.

You can also open LinkedIn with that key, funnily enough, that's why the Ctrl+Shift+Win+Alt+L shortcut exists on Windows.

🙂

11 minutes ago, duncannah said:

So it's replacing the Office Key? I've never seen it before, but it supposedly exists, I suppose on Surface stuff.

I suppose, but the link you gave said you needed at least a 2019 build of Windows. That's pretty outdated now. Also, just checked, and the Surface Pro 9 keyboard doesn't have the Office key, so I don't think it really took off.

Can't imagine needing a LinkedIn shortcut either! XD

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Replace the damned windows button...

I use the windows button once in a blue moon. I never use the menu button, so this move makes more sense to me personally. The article I read on this earlier mentioned it will replace the right control key on some devices. That would be more annoying.

2 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

I don't see any reason to get rid of that. If you are gaming, many gaming keyboards allow you to disable it.

I'd abolish scroll lock and Num lock.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

I use the windows button once in a blue moon. I never use the menu button, so this move makes more sense to me personally.

Are you heavier on the mouse? Personally I use the "Windows" and Menu keys all the time as a Linux user. The menu key has all sorts of shortcuts, renaming files for one is a common one I use routinely. 

As for an "AI", basically a glorified search button that tracks you, no thanks. 

8 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Are you heavier on the mouse? Personally I use the "Windows" and Menu keys all the time as a Linux user. The menu key has all sorts of shortcuts, renaming files for one is a common one I use routinely. 

Agree and frankly I don't need no stinkin A.I. in my machine.
So just go ahead and stuff your A.I. back up your ASCII Microshaft. 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

22 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

I use it at least 20 times a day to launch apps. I did a registry tweak to remove the Bing search results from Windows Search, you should try it too. 

This tutorial isn't as good as the one I used but I couldn't find my favorite one. 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

2 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Agree and frankly I don't need no stinkin A.I. in my machine.
So just go ahead and stuff your A.I. back up your ASCII Microshaft. 

I totally agree bro. I really hope there's some sort of registry tweak to get rid of Copilot too. I love AI and use Google Bard a lot, but I don't need (or want) Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Copilot bloatware permanently stuck on my PC with no way to get rid of it (without breaking functionality)

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

28 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

In it's defense, It's a nice empty key for macro and shortcut combinations.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

17 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Yeah, really I don't use either, but I'll use windows-tab when in a full screen game/app (I find it more reliable than alt-tab). Never really got into the habit of the menu key at all. I had to play around with it today to remind myself exactly what it did. (right click apparently lol). 

All this being said, I'll never use the co-pilot button either, I don't think. 

10 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

Never really got into the habit of the menu key at all. I had to play around with it today to remind myself exactly what it did. (right click apparently lol).

I think it is more accurately the "Context Menu Key" since its functionality depends on the context. It's not really a "right-click."

I don't bring this up to be pedantic or correct you, but rather to clarify its use since some may be unaware of its purpose.

I have never really used it, but I can definitely see the utility of it for some people, unlike the keys I previously mentioned (scroll and num lock). If anybody has a legitimate use for them beyond extra macros, I'd love to hear it.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, duncannah said:

You can also open LinkedIn with that key, funnily enough, that's why the Ctrl+Shift+Win+Alt+L shortcut exists on Windows.

At that point I don't think the shortcut saves time

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Why? I use it all the dang time.

They should replace the useless Scroll Lock or context menu / "right click" key instead.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Seriously I use this button all the freakin time. Win + E to open explorer, Win + V for the clipboard app (!!) or just tap it and start typing to search for something. It's so much quicker than scrolling through the start menu trying to find what stupid folder something has been sorted into.

It also allows you to fully navigate Windows without a mouse, which can be very useful for troubleshooting and/or macros.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

2 hours ago, PowerPCFan said:

I totally agree bro. I really hope there's some sort of registry tweak to get rid of Copilot too. I love AI and use Google Bard a lot, but I don't need (or want) Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Copilot bloatware permanently stuck on my PC with no way to get rid of it (without breaking functionality)

It will probrably be like Cortana was, they obviously want it on your machine and will undoubtedly set it up in the OS so it's not disabled/removed so easily as in it will be part of the OS core itself with newer versions of the OS.

For updates you can expect it to become imbedded in largely the same way.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

5 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

The Windows key can be pretty useful if you know what you're doing in terms of keyboard shortcuts.

Razer Blade 14 (RZ09-0508x): AMD Ryzen 9 8945HS, nVidia GeForce RTX 4070, 64 GB 5200 DDR5, Win11 Pro [Workhorse/Gaming]

Apple MacBook Pro 14 (A2442): Apple M1 Pro APU (8 Core), 16 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3 [Creative Rig]

Samsung GalaxyBook Pro (NP930QDB-KF4CA): Intel Core i7-1165G7, 16 GB DDR4, Win11 Pro [WinTablet]

HP Envy 15-k257ca: Intel Core i5 5200U, nVidia GeForce 840M, 16GB 1600 DDR3, Win7 Pro [Retro]

Toshiba Satellite A70-S2591:  Intel Pentium 4 538, ATI Radeon 9000 IGP, 1.5 GB DDR RAM, WinXP Pro [Antique]

7 hours ago, duncannah said:

NANI?!

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

2 hours ago, denco101 said:

The Windows key can be pretty useful if you know what you're doing in terms of keyboard shortcuts.

Which one? There's two of them. MS should just replace/remap the Windows key on the right side.

Or they could just make a honking big one instead as they seem all we ever need is Copilot.

Copilot_logo.png

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

Which one? There's two of them. MS should just replace/remap the Windows key on the right side.

Many keyboards (including the TKL I use) only have the one these days.

Spoiler

Glad I no longer use this garbage of an OS

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

10 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

No. The Windows key puts it on parity with the MacOS keyboard which always had one additional meta key. Non-English keyboards have AltGr instead of two Alt buttons. Fn folds down the F1-12 keys into the the number row.

Like for all intents, the key that doesn't get used is the "menu" button which is basically "right click" or "alt" depending on what application you're in.

Most normal keyboards, Ctrl, Alt, and Meta (Windows key on Windows, Option key on MacOS) need these keys in order to operate software that is portable between them.

That said, the purpose of CTRL and ALT has lost it's meaning. Do you remember these?

image.thumb.png.0d5c57cea7dfb9b47076543503bfeee8.png

In DOS, CTRL and ALT were used by the applications because the application had exclusive use of the computer's input.

But generally "Ctrl" tends to be OS aware keys, eg ctrl ins/del or ctrl-c/v for clipboard actions. And the introduction of the Windows key gives the OS it's own key to have functionality, where as many games have been forbidden from using the CTRL, ALT, and SHIFT as "input buttons" in Windows because they trigger things in Windows. (eg the cursed sticky keys trigger.)

16 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

16 hours ago, Holmes108 said:

I use the windows button once in a blue moon.

15 hours ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

In it's defense, It's a nice empty key for macro and shortcut combinations.

I have never felt so out of touch with this forum.

Do you people not use the Windows key? I probably use it 30-50 times a day, if not more. How do you start programs? How do you lock your computers?

Win + # to start a program you got pinned to the taskbar.

Win + L to lock your PC.

Win + <typing> + enter to start any program on your PC quickly. 

Win + <arrow keys> to snap windows to different places.

There are plenty of other shortcuts but those four account for like 99% of my use of the Windows key, and they are super important to my workflow. I'd feel like a cripple without it. I'd feel so slow if I had to use my mouse to for example start programs.

Edit: everything I wrote is about the left windows key. If we're talking about the right windows key, which seems to be what's being replaced in the picture, then I agree. Get rid of that button. It's pretty much useless. 

I have never used the right windows key on any of my keyboards. They can happily replace that one and i wouldn't even care.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.