Linus takes the final step in abandoning his original audience.

kek

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

3: Upload scripts? Geeze learn a bit of Linux and initiate the uploads from a freaking command line where your 1000ms would matter not. Heck send an e-mail and have one of the other 4 upload from a better line... I'm sure everyone on the Island was happy to have you use up all their bandwidth.

Linux users really like to complicate things... Linus should have uploaded them to YouTube, set them to private, then logged in and set them to public when he wanted to release them. This is assuming the videos were finished when he was on his trip. There's no reason to use upload scripts on a Linux machine for something that's easily done without, and I kind of wonder why Linus didn't just private-public them instead of fiddling with sketchy internet.

Oh well, the rest of your post was accusing them of not liking their jobs so I won't even argue.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Linux users really like to complicate things... Linus should have uploaded them to YouTube, set them to private, then logged in and set them to public when he wanted to release them. This is assuming the videos were finished when he was on his trip. There's no reason to use upload scripts on a Linux machine for something that's easily done without, and I kind of wonder why Linus didn't just private-public them instead of fiddling with sketchy internet.

While I agree with you, I see what his point is. Generally, it'd be better to leave the videos at his home or office and tell them to start uploading whenever he wants from anywhere in the world using SSH or something similar. 

Your idea is better though although it only works if, as you said, the videos are done before he leaves for the island, but I'm not sure if there's a technical reason why you can't or wouldn't want to do that (something related to NDAs I suppose, not sure). If the videos aren't done until after he's gone to the island, the linux command way is better as it's more flexible for when the videos can be completed.

I think the general point is that how much time Linus spends on doing this stuff is kind of excessive, and his example of the extremes he goes through to get things done not only tells us how dedicated he is to doing this, but also how inefficient he's being about it. 

I'm sure that's just an extreme example, but still, you'd expect someone who makes videos about technology to know how to use that technology efficiently. 

Then again, we might not know the whole story. Just saying, there definitely were better ways to do it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Just stopping in to say I'm a newcomer to LTT and all that, but even in his recently 'changed' form I still subscribed and still enjoy his videos and reviews.  I own the lovely Sennheiser headset desk clamp holder because of him, and I find his reviews insightful enough to point me in good directions.  Also keeps me reasonably up to date on tech news.  I don't watch the WAN show, though.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

While i have only been around for a little bit, i would still like to weigh in,

• I disagree. I have seen a lot of his older videos and compared to the newer ones. I LOVE the way he does is videos now. The old way was great but this way is much more fascinating to me. Lots of people would agree that they would much prefer Quality over quantity, but to each their own. I think the biggest thing with this, for me at least, is a set schedule.
  • As mentioned by the others, LTT is now a Business. They have to adapt and broaden their spectrum. They need to keep the same viewers they have now and bring in the new ones. I personally don't like the Smartphone, smart watch, Wi-Fi Plant Humidifier, however, going back to the schedule thing, if they said look, we will be doing a consumer grade project every Wednesday, then i would be fine with it. That way, i can no what to expect and look at what the video is before i spend the time to watch it. 
  • This is what the industry has grown to. When something new is given to them early, they have tome to look at it, but then cant say anything about it untll a specific date. Then they release the video. Furthermore, i usually do watch everybody's video. Sometimes, some people say things that others don't. I like all the different perspectives.
  • I feel liek the random guests are great. It provides a little flare and diversity. Each guest can add something that isn't usually in the show. For example, J.J. this week (I think) provided Superior insight to the new Intel Chipset and to the ASUS like of Z97 Motherboards. 
  • Luke. (Keep in mind it was Slick and B-Roll that went, not Linus). Even disregarding that, there are plenty of tech things to see and do at PAX. For example, the Oculus. Its not only related to gaming, but the Oculus, as mentioned by both Luke and Linus, will change the furture. Even if Oculus insn't in every home, they will still lead the way to innovation in the VR and AR space.
  • Its harder to find hidden Gems these days, there are just so many review channels. Not much else here....

It is very disappointing they LMG is not going to Computex, arguably the most important tech convention of all time, however, I'm sure they have their reasons. I would love to see them there but sometimes there are somethings that people can't do at the time. I'm sure there is just an obstacle that is preventing them. 

Oh well, the rest of your post was accusing them of not liking their jobs so I won't even argue.

or you all could have some patience and leave the man alone to spend some time with his family....jeeze linux this, private that my god, linus you do a good job and personally i wish you to continue using your judgement to shape the channel....shit its worked well so far

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

or you all could have some patience and leave the man alone to spend some time with his family....jeeze linux this, private that my god, linus you do a good job and personally i wish you to continue using your judgement to shape the channel....shit its worked well so far

Well yes that's what I was going for. It's faster to upload before hand, spend 5 seconds setting it to public, then all the time in the world for your family.

But as has been said before I don't know the whole story behind it or his reasoning for why he does things, I'm just guessing based on what I know

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I love audio reviews, i'm trying to get in to this kind of stuff, wich is really really difficult shit :P 
i try to watch all videos, because maybe i don't care about the product, it takes about 10 minutes(?) give or take a few... and you can do that while you are eating, and it's just fun to see him :)

old style videos.. pff -_-'  people change their interests so yeah.. i really don't care about  15 videos about a gtx 780 or any other product. It's the same f*cking thing, it just looks different...
i'm happy with this current path LTT is doing,
And if what i think it's Luke (slick) said is true, linus is just a great guy, trying to help others when he can, so if he wants to do a video about a fun lamp that looks like book, then let him.
If i had the space to buy stupid but fun stuff i would buy that freakin' lampbook :P

Personly i really don't care about event videos like computex or whatever it is... If a product is really interesting Eventually lt will come on the forum or the channel. I really don't care about stuff that "might" come, or that are "improved".

if you can't see that Linus & his team do their best to attract people they want to , then you should well ... FUCK OFF.  yeah the F word B)

i like the way things are changing , i like linus and his crew. They are doing a great job and i love watching their stuff :)

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

yes, i read the OP and almost every comment in this thread; that said...

i started watching Linus - /  NCIX - vids because he had access to physical hardware; f.i. should a vendor omit the dimensions of say a graphic card - Linus would pull it out of the box and i would know if it could fit or not...

some of his approaches and aspects changed since those days...but thats the nature of things; in one way or another we all changed too ( or will...believe me)...

Linus will storm forward and try to upgrade and improve all gears and gizmos of his project ( like this forum you all call home; he wanted to channel all your creative output - done ...someday i will dig out the chatlog with the conversation bout this for you) and if you dont like something; then tell him...he might consider it...for myself, i would like to see more behind the scenes content and insights.

...and just for the record, some of you should think about your view on a couple of the things...is it really bothering you...or would you accept it on other circumstances just fine ?

TEOSsve.jpg

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

As a new member and only a subscriber to the LTT Youtube Channel for less than a year... I wanted to chime in here.

I find the reviews given by Linus and the tech team refreshing. I watch OC3D, Tiny Tom, TastyPC and a few others... Each provides their own comments, suggestions and thoughts on a product regardless if all of them review the same item or not.

It's nice to see how other reviewers perceive a product they get for review. It adds to the overall... "Would I buy this?" 

Now for what I would not like to see....

Linus and the team keep it fresh. When they start going Corporate Monopoly or "FANBOYISH" to one company over another then I might turn away...

Every company whom makes a product wants a good review by the professionals who rate, test and sample what they are given. Companies know that the market and research in such tech channels helps promote sales and help to enhance their product line.

Sure a little extra advertising at the end of  a video is fine on other products such as Linus does... without that, Linus and the team won't be able to continue to produce the shows, reviews and quality videos we know and enjoy.

Well that's my two cents. Thanks for letting me share it.

Linus and the crew was doing fine back then and doing extremely well now. So like you said its your opinion... so why dont you find somewhere eles to go then trying to downgrade the show??

Things have certainly changed but I like them regardless.

It's not like I am one of these geeks that wants to overlock everything I get and want to know about the latest in mobile market stuff, I just want to see Linus's reaction and vision on the new hardware, which eventually I will get, but not because it's new.

I do get your statement though, but I havent been subscribed long enough to notice that.

Other YouTube channels have been through massive changes which led to me unsubscribing eventually, Linus hasn't reached that point for me yet, so I am happy.

Great constructive critisism though.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

I've been subbed to him since he had 50,000 subscribers, nothing changed but his camera equipment. 

Case: Thermaltake Core V71 CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700X (overclocked to 4.1Ghz) Cooling: Corsair H110i GT(Push-Pull config) Motherboard: Gigabyte's Aorus AX370 AM4 K7 RAM: G.SKILL 2800Mhz 32GB GPU:  GEFORCE GTX 1080 (SLI) from Gigabyte Storage: Kingston 3K 240GB (main boot drive) Crucial M500 SSD, WD 2TB Green, 100GB HD(As backup) PSU: Sseasonic X Series 850W Gold

I think part of the problem is that if he wants to make videos about stuff on the leading edge it is hard with only doing computer components..... how many coolers can you really review...he must go onto other gadgets to keep running. that being said i dont need 3 weeks of computer speaker videos... or 5 videos about monitors in a month. what i would like to see from time to time is that maybe linus goes back to his roots a bit and maybe do a build or 2 where he shows of his preferences on the newest gear and solutions. maybe every 6 months or so. also he needs to bring that damn toys and game channel and rebuild his damn wan show wall. i really REALLY  like the idea he threw out about doing a small Lan party but being in the lower 48 it would be pretty monumental for me to get the wife to let me go lol

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

While I agree with you, I see what his point is. Generally, it'd be better to leave the videos at his home or office and tell them to start uploading whenever he wants from anywhere in the world using SSH or something similar. 

Your idea is better though although it only works if, as you said, the videos are done before he leaves for the island, but I'm not sure if there's a technical reason why you can't or wouldn't want to do that (something related to NDAs I suppose, not sure). If the videos aren't done until after he's gone to the island, the linux command way is better as it's more flexible for when the videos can be completed.

I think the general point is that how much time Linus spends on doing this stuff is kind of excessive, and his example of the extremes he goes through to get things done not only tells us how dedicated he is to doing this, but also how inefficient he's being about it. 

I'm sure that's just an extreme example, but still, you'd expect someone who makes videos about technology to know how to use that technology efficiently. 

Then again, we might not know the whole story. Just saying, there definitely were better ways to do it.

I'm well enough aware of the scheduled release feature of YouTube, and remote desktop technologies aren't exactly cutting edge tech.

On that particular weekend we busted our asses because we had a video production shoot on top of needing to produce our usual 6 videos in the week and an extra one for the long weekend day that was going to be missed.

I had to outsource editing in order to get them done during the weekend, so there was a lot of coordination back and forth to make those videos happen.

Frankly it's pretty insulting to have someone assume that we don't know what we're doing or that we're inefficient because they don't understand what it takes to do what we do.

Wow 5 guys working 365 days a year, and using a 1000ms ping internet to download videos.

I think it really compounds how wrong you are working. Doing things wrong does not mean working hard, its called working badly. You promote tech but sure are using it wrong, explains the 365 days a year for 5 guys.

Upload scripts? Geeze learn a bit of Linux and initiate the uploads from a freaking command line where your 1000ms would matter not. Heck send an e-mail and have one of the other 4 upload from a better line... I'm sure everyone on the Island was happy to have you use up all their bandwidth.

Remember, a larger quantity of video's (at any quality level, 1080p, 4K) does not mean higher quality videos (one that one values), only more chance of spam that is ... at this rate you are headed to become the Tech version of Vince Offer, is that really your goal? Or any of those other Infomercial guys.

Just imagine for one moment how much happier the 5 of you would be if you worked efficiently but only half of those days? Maybe everyone would have time to be more creative, come up with more ideas and benefit everything at the company? Sure some would also have enough time to go do something else but that would eliminate those who are not in it for the right reasons anyway.

There are soooo many problems with this post.

I'll keep it short though to save myself some work. You've completely misunderstood my post. I wasn't uploading from the island. Even if I was, uploading a video from command line isn't going to make the connection better in some way (seriously?). And even if it did, the suggestion of having someone else do it from a better line makes a lot of assumptions... As for the suggestion that we're inefficient and could do our work in half as much time, I guess it's easy to say from where you sit :)

Linus

Man some of the stuff people have said just baffles me. Do you guys see what you're saying?

How is it baffling? You join a channel because you like it, then it changes, you stop liking it, you vent frustration hoping for things change back.

Many people joined because it was a funny show, that showed off so much hardware (ranges of Z77 boards, not one like we generally have now), it was informal, knowledgeable and interesting. No one else showed off that much hardware, apart from Newegg, which has the worlds most boring presenters on it.

Now? 15 minutes of the live stream is ads, the last 2 minutes of other videos are ads, and the most recent tech quickie felt like an entire ad.

Some don't like it, that's on them. They have a right to say "hey, we miss the old stuff". Maybe people don't like consumer stuff?

How is it baffling? You join a channel because you like it, then it changes, you stop liking it, you vent frustration hoping for things change back.

Many people joined because it was a funny show, that showed off so much hardware (ranges of Z77 boards, not one like we generally have now), it was informal, knowledgeable and interesting. No one else showed off that much hardware, apart from Newegg, which has the worlds most boring presenters on it.

Now? 15 minutes of the live stream is ads, the last 2 minutes of other videos are ads, and the most recent tech quickie felt like an entire ad.

Some don't like it, that's on them. They have a right to say "hey, we miss the old stuff". Maybe people don't like consumer stuff?

Well some of the complaints are objectively invalid.

Not liking ads I get, wanting more motherboard videos I KIND OF get (seriously what am I supposed to say about them?)

But really, some of this stuff has no basis in reality. I can't remember where it is, and I don't feel like digging it up now, but there was a complaint we don't do "fun stuff like this anymore" and the examples of fun videos were the NFC video, and Hide the Sausage IIRC - Two videos from the last month...

Getting on the same release bandwagon as all. the. other. tech. channels. Every video with a product I want to watch either doesn't exist at all or is covered by OC3D, Linus, TekSyndicate, TastyPC, SWEclockers and HardwareCanucks ALL AT ONCE.

Honestly, the NDA expiration time is not his (or anyone else's) fault. If the NDA did not exist products would be leaked instantly and rival companies could use this to a marketing advantage. You have many valid arguments but this is definitely not one of them.

Things have to progress. There obviously is over 800,000 people who like it.. so in my eyes a few people with an opinion can only go so far. Another 200,000 for techquickie so... He must be doing something right. I for one love the direction the show is going.

Linus also does not have the NCIX warehouse and company behind him to shovel products into his lap anymore so read my last statement here.

This show isn't here for entertainment. Sure it has it's funny moments but it's a damn tech channel. If you want entertainment there are 100,000,000 other videos and channels to watch.

Ads? All of the LTT videos are glorified ads for a product. Also this stuff isn't free. This website isn't free. Slick might be working for free, who knows. The items they purchase are obviously not free. It is a business. A fairly new one at that and as I have said before give it some time to get in the rhythm of things before you go and start a riot on Linus. 

But what can I say. It is the internet and the internet people like to create problems from thin air because they are never happy with anything. The world is given to them but still not happy. Never happy. Never ever ever happy with anything. Silly internet peoples. Sigh.

Motherboard content has gone stale minus this new release of Z97 boards. You guys are trying to milk a rock when it comes to NDA and products being released.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

there is so much hate here.....

IF YOU DONT LIKE THE VIDEOS, THEN DONT WANT THEM, NOOBS. as for me and everyone else who loves watching linus's video, we will continue to do so...

]

Thank you Linus media group for making good videos.

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Things have to progress. There obviously is over 800,000 people who like it.. so in my eyes a few people with an opinion can only go so far. Another 200,000 for techquickie so... He must be doing something right. I for one love the direction the show is going.

Linus also does not have the NCIX warehouse and company behind him to shovel products into his lap anymore so read my last statement here.

This show isn't here for entertainment. Sure it has it's funny moments but it's a damn tech channel. If you want entertainment there are 100,000,000 other videos and channels to watch.

Ads? All of the LTT videos are glorified ads for a product. Also this stuff isn't free. This website isn't free. Slick might be working for free, who knows. The items they purchase are obviously not free. It is a business. A fairly new one at that and as I have said before give it some time to get in the rhythm of things before you go and start a riot on Linus. 

But what can I say. It is the internet and the internet people like to create problems from thin air because they are never happy with anything. The world is given to them but still not happy. Never happy. Never ever ever happy with anything. Silly internet peoples. Sigh.

Motherboard content has gone stale minus this new release of Z97 boards. You guys are trying to milk a rock when it comes to NDA and products being released.

I'm not talking about NDA's, he reviewed the P9X79, the P9X79 Deluxe, P9X79 Pro. Now it's just one in a line. People understand that it's because he has changed jobs, but people preferred it. 

It used to be less professional and clearly people liked that. Yes ads, they're fucking annoying, a 30 second youtube ad then a youtube pop up then a video filled with ads, it does get very annoying. Thank god for adblock. Yes it's not free, but people are sick of the ads. Why do I watch TV shows on project free tv instead of watching them on free to air television? Because 25-30% of the show is ads these days. 

People have legitimate gripes, we've clearly heard that changes in the last two years are here to stay. So people with those gripes can shut up or put up and leave. I'm fine with what's changed, I'm interested in mobile tech such as new phones and what the user experience is like (because for fucks sake, specs aren't everything). That's why I'm interested in his review of the M8, it wasn't a 'we had it for a week and used it in an office' review.

Not liking ads I get, wanting more motherboard videos I KIND OF get (seriously what am I supposed to say about them?)

If it isn't to much to ask, I'd like to see you do a video on an MSI gaming board, I could be wrong but I don't think I've seen anyone do one and it would be nice to know how the stand against the ASUS boards.

As for the cheaper boards, I don't see the point unless it's a damn good price to performance board