Linus takes the final step in abandoning his original audience.

Linus dosnt do enough for us he dosnt review enough things

btw when is that surface pro 3 your ordered out of your own money because your viewers wanted it, going to arrive?.........

seriously in the last few videos he has made i see a concious effort to "lighten up" a bit, the fedora! (btw if your the pimp is slick your bitch?) if the channel isnt what your looking for then maybe its time to move on Personally he strikes the right balance between humour and informative. it comes off as light enough to make me chuckle but not so much that it compromises the validity of his review and as far as ads most are done in such a way as they keep me watching just to see WTF is going on...agian the fedora! besides 

you can just skip through them  ;) 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I'm well enough aware of the scheduled release feature of YouTube, and remote desktop technologies aren't exactly cutting edge tech.

On that particular weekend we busted our asses because we had a video production shoot on top of needing to produce our usual 6 videos in the week and an extra one for the long weekend day that was going to be missed.

I had to outsource editing in order to get them done during the weekend, so there was a lot of coordination back and forth to make those videos happen.

Frankly it's pretty insulting to have someone assume that we don't know what we're doing or that we're inefficient because they don't understand what it takes to do what we do.

It seems there was a misunderstanding. Idea and I took "it took hours" to mean you were uploading it there. Which is why I said, "Then again, we might not know the whole story." And obviously we didn't. 

The reason I assumed that is because that's the way it sounded to me and I couldn't think of any other reason for it to take hours. Slower internet from an island seemed like the most logical conclusion over you guys being overworked. The reason I say that is because every time I've ever heard you guys mention your workload, it's in the vein of "it's a lot, but we get it done."

I guess the better question is "Why would Linus have a video with him that is completed but not uploading at an island?" to which I thought "Maybe the island was the locale for the video?"

Then that makes perfect sense as to why it took hours. 

I didn't mean to insult LMG. That's why I added that "we might not know the whole story" bit. 

There are soooo many problems with this post.

I'll keep it short though to save myself some work. You've completely misunderstood my post. I wasn't uploading from the island. Even if I was, uploading a video from command line isn't going to make the connection better in some way (seriously?). And even if it did, the suggestion of having someone else do it from a better line makes a lot of assumptions... As for the suggestion that we're inefficient and could do our work in half as much time, I guess it's easy to say from where you sit :)

Linus

Indeed. 

... it is if the command line is sending commands to a computer with an internet connection with better upload speed than the one you are on. i.e. you SSH into your computer at LMG headquarters from the island and start the upload from there. Then it's surely faster.

That's what SSH basically is. Where you connect to another computer over a network (i.e. the Internet) and send it commands through command line. Then it's no different than being in front of that computer. Like Remote Desktop, but for command line which uses far less bandwidth itself.

That would be a good tech quickie I think, although it wouldn't cater to many people. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I really think we are going around in circles now ENOUGH!!!. Linus, you have gone over and above what you have to explain , you have to accept that people will not change their opinion until you do what they want, instead of them just accepting that whatever happens is out of their control. I have noticed that you have tried to incorporate some of the constructive criticisms in your last lot of reviews. Going by your ever increasing subscribers you have our mandate to keep going the way you are. Until people walk a mile in your shoes then they can criticise. Mate, I really think you should lock out this thread and put your time into better things.

Hey if you want him to go to Computex you can pay his way there.  Its extremely expensive to go and if they don't get the sponsors than they can't go.  As an original audience member I do not feel hurt or abandoned.  The channel has changed a ton over the past 1.5 years and for the most part it's for the better.  I like that he reviews things other than PC enthusiast stuff because even as an "enthusiast" I like other things. 

I agree and people don't seem to know that getting to computex is very expensive

I mean flights hotel  and other stuff the only way he got there in the past was through sponsors

people don't seem to realise this linus can't afford to do it on his own.

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

I know this will draw hate as is common on criticism, keep in mind this is my opinion and I'm sure Linus will do fine when shifting his content on to a different demographic altogether. Afterall, smartphones and general consumer gadgets are popular watching and I'm sure many of Linus' new audience is here and ready to defend him. But this is constructive criticism, so I would appreciate the same gesture in return.

Having been watching LTT for a long time, it has gone increasingly downhill over a long period of time for me:

• Linus prioritizing boutique video quality sacrificing all quantity and depth of insight. We're down to less than a video a day, and the ones we get are usually shorter and less opinionated/ insightful.
  • Forgetting who the audience is with an increasing number of consumer gadgets, (seriously, a wi-fi plant humidifier??) mobile phones, and other borderline tech of fringe interest to PC enthusiasts, even further lowering the quantity of content desired.
  • Getting on the same release bandwagon as all. the. other. tech. channels. Every video with a product I want to watch either doesn't exist at all or is covered by OC3D, Linus, TekSyndicate, TastyPC, SWEclockers and HardwareCanucks ALL AT ONCE.
  • Random WAN show guests that I very often find to be irrelevant and annoying. Getting that weird uncomfortable YouTube "buddy club" vibe that just kind of smells bad to me. Josh from Fractal being an exception.
  • Why go to PAX? There are hundreds of YouTube channels doing PAX. Just why?
  • Where are all the hidden gems in PC hardware? Have Linus completely abandoned reaching out to manufacturers for samples of interesting new coolers, cases, NAS boxes, you name it? It just seems Linus is more interested in autonomy, getting all the same stuff as everyone else, and losing touch with the market. It used to be about consumer enlightenment, showcasing stuff you might not have heard of. Remember the Thermaltake Tt eSports BAG? That kind of thing. I bought one because of Linus. What has Linus shown me in the past 6 months that I wanted to buy afterwards? Absolutely nothing, I'm afraid.

But the final step that is probably going to make me unsubscribe, is not going to Computex. Seriously, that is gutting. That is a stone-cold knife in the back to the original audience of the channel, to whom Computex is probably the highlight of the entire year, after the huge thrill of covering it last year. I could forgive anything from Linus but not that.

It makes me sad, as Linus Tech Tips has been my very favourite channel for years, but now it is my least favourite of all my subscriptions.

My 2 rubel, anyway.

If you don't like him or the way who chooses to create content for you for free! then don't watch simple. problem solved .

Unboxing was never even all that exciting anyway, to be completely honest. It was only interesting because Linus' personality. When I watch other unboxers, they lack an engaging personality and the only thing they have going for them is the content..and watching someone open a box is boring as balls.

What they have now, I like. I like it because the content itself is actually interesting, add some goofy personalities and it's golden. Go ahead, watch a random unboxer and I dare you to tell me that without a personality, that the video style still appeals to you.

@LinusTech keep being the silly Canadian you are. :P

I agree any one can unbox stuff 

But i watch for Linuses personality and I agree with you 

But the goofy stuff is golden and it's nice to see Linus step out of the

professional style and take it back to just linus with a camera or just linus and slick and just talking 

not trying to make professional content all though i agree that he does need to make video 

that get fews and make him money. 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

There is one thing I really wonder about...

A new batch of mobos is out with no one that I watch to cover them... with asus mobos being an exeption only because JJ is talking about them all over, its good enough for me, even if its not really them overclocking and seeing the results, or covering the product themselves.

I guess they are all waiting for Devil's Canyon so they won't have to cover the mobos again after it comes out or something...

Its still really annoying because I need to buy my computer in like 3 days, I want to wait for DC but I can't, so I have to buy my mobo blind now.

Not buying the asus mobos simply because my pc will be black and red, and new rog line is above my budget for a mobo.

Other then that I think linus is doing a great job.

Yes he is making all of those videos that are not really pc enthusiast related, but since once in a while he does cover a pc enthusiast product I can forgive that.

I am watching him for his insight on products, but also for just watching him... its kinda fun really.

PAX was great, its not the same as computex but it was still great.

Now I am somewhat of a new viewer... have been watching him for a year now, maybe I don't have the same perspective you have, or maybe yours simply changed, maybe you went deeper into the whole enthusiast thing when he stayed were he was or took a small step back.

I do wish that he would review the new rog boards rather than just the workstation one. And no computex is a bummer that why we have other channels to watch like newegg or teksyndicate.

The new motherboards arnt getting cover test because everyone is waiting for the new CPUs to go with. There is a reason that Intel wanted Asus to wait until a certain date to release even though they were ready.

I slightly disagree... I love Linus and what he does and he has posted less and less but you have to realize is that he has to run a business which isnt cheap. I think that as his business grows, the more I guess "legal tension"
there is, if he says something wrong about a companies product that they might have specifically told him to say he could be in some trouble.

If you don't like him or the way who chooses to create content for you for free! then don't watch simple. problem solved .

This stance is toxic. I would prefer it stop coming up. 

It's not free. He gets paid because we view advertisements. We are the product. I know Linus doesn't view us like that, but that is how he gets money and it is because of us. Therefore, his content isn't really free in the actual sense, but only in the traditional "I pay you money." sense. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This stance is toxic. I would prefer it stop coming up. 

It's not free. He gets paid because we view advertisements. We are the product. I know Linus doesn't view us like that, but that is how he gets money and it is because of us. Therefore, his content isn't really free in the actual sense, but only in the traditional "I pay you money." sense. 

It isn't really free in the actual sense? You mean it's not free because we are given his content for no charge of any kind? I haven't sent a penny to Linus and I sure haven't given any money to advertising companies on YouTube.

Unless someone consistently donates a rather substantial amount of funds (a halted $5 a month payment might go unnoticed) not a single one of us produces enough revenue to make a dent big enough for Linus to say we are directly affecting his paycheck just by viewing his videos. Sure, if he suddenly lost 300,000 subscribers he would notice, but the thirty-something thousand that have viewed this thread and even less that actively complained wouldn't make a difference. This thread's views alone is a whopping 3.5% of his subscribers, and much smaller of his total video views. And of course, who knows how many of those are duplicates on both this website's and YouTube's side.

So no, I nor you (as far as I can tell) in any definition pay Linus. Besides, people also use Adblock, and that means your twisted interpretation of what's free is not enough to prevent bringing up the 'toxic stance'.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I would like for old school unboxings on weekends and the more 'professional' videos on weekdays. Also less work on weekends which is a plus.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

-snip-

That's not what I consider toxic about the stance. Whether it's free or not and whether it's toxic or not are only related, but only slightly. 

Effectively, what that stance is saying is "You have no right to give your opinion on whether what they produce is good or not. So don't. Either watch it or don't. Either way, STFU" It's actively saying "Don't give feedback." That's toxic to a content creator and the audience. If our feedback is reasonable, then it should be given. Any stance that says not to give reasonable feedback is a toxic one imo unless it has a legitimate reason (i.e. our feedback is actually making the show worse). And that's not the case here.

As for whether it's free or not, it isn't free. Linus gets paid because we watch his videos (not counting sponsorship he does, but he wouldn't get those if we didn't watch his videos). I honestly can't believe you call this a twisted view. It doesn't matter how significant our viewership affects his paycheck, it's not 0, therefore it's not free. This isn't Calculus where close enough is close enough to equal something. i.e. 0.000.....1 = 0. 

I don't particularly care for your opinion personally. You have every right to give it, but I disagree with it.

† Christian Member †

That's not what I consider toxic about the stance. Whether it's free or not and whether it's toxic or not are only related, but only slightly. 

1: Effectively, what that stance is saying is "You have no right to give your opinion on whether what they produce is good or not. So don't. Either watch it or don't. Either way, STFU" It's actively saying "Don't give feedback." That's toxic to a content creator and the audience. If our feedback is reasonable, then it should be given. Any stance that says not to give reasonable feedback is a toxic one imo unless it has a legitimate reason (i.e. our feedback is actually making the show worse). And that's not the case here.

2: As for whether it's free or not, it isn't free. Linus gets paid because we watch his videos (not counting sponsorship he does, but he wouldn't get those if we didn't watch his videos). I honestly can't believe you call this a twisted view. It doesn't matter how significant our viewership affects his paycheck, it's not 0, therefore it's not free. This isn't Calculus where close enough is close enough to equal something. i.e. 0.000.....1 = 0. 

I don't particularly care for your opinion personally. You have every right to give it, but I disagree with it.

Agree with 1, still disagree with 2. Free means free while you're talking about absolutes.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

• 2 weeks later...

Just my two pennies on this subject - most other tech reporters, on television or otherwise, don't come close to providing quality opinions in anywhere near the time that Linus does.  Whether it's because of his experience as a product manager or just his personality, it's engaging and frankly it really shows when I watch other channels or even the BBC and people cover the same thing but I am instantly less enthused.

Luke's style is changing for the better as well and I feel that may have come about from the positive attitude that Linus brings to each segment he does.  However, it's pretty clear Luke doesn't get the name Slick for nothing - that interview with the developer from Xing showed he may even be more of a ladies man than his co-host! :) 

I know this will draw hate as is common on criticism, keep in mind this is my opinion and I'm sure Linus will do fine when shifting his content on to a different demographic altogether. Afterall, smartphones and general consumer gadgets are popular watching and I'm sure many of Linus' new audience is here and ready to defend him. But this is constructive criticism, so I would appreciate the same gesture in return.

Having been watching LTT for a long time, it has gone increasingly downhill over a long period of time for me:

• Linus prioritizing boutique video quality sacrificing all quantity and depth of insight. We're down to less than a video a day, and the ones we get are usually shorter and less opinionated/ insightful.
  • Forgetting who the audience is with an increasing number of consumer gadgets, (seriously, a wi-fi plant humidifier??) mobile phones, and other borderline tech of fringe interest to PC enthusiasts, even further lowering the quantity of content desired.
  • Getting on the same release bandwagon as all. the. other. tech. channels. Every video with a product I want to watch either doesn't exist at all or is covered by OC3D, Linus, TekSyndicate, TastyPC, SWEclockers and HardwareCanucks ALL AT ONCE.
  • Random WAN show guests that I very often find to be irrelevant and annoying. Getting that weird uncomfortable YouTube "buddy club" vibe that just kind of smells bad to me. Josh from Fractal being an exception.
  • Why go to PAX? There are hundreds of YouTube channels doing PAX. Just why?
  • Where are all the hidden gems in PC hardware? Have Linus completely abandoned reaching out to manufacturers for samples of interesting new coolers, cases, NAS boxes, you name it? It just seems Linus is more interested in autonomy, getting all the same stuff as everyone else, and losing touch with the market. It used to be about consumer enlightenment, showcasing stuff you might not have heard of. Remember the Thermaltake Tt eSports BAG? That kind of thing. I bought one because of Linus. What has Linus shown me in the past 6 months that I wanted to buy afterwards? Absolutely nothing, I'm afraid.

But the final step that is probably going to make me unsubscribe, is not going to Computex. Seriously, that is gutting. That is a stone-cold knife in the back to the original audience of the channel, to whom Computex is probably the highlight of the entire year, after the huge thrill of covering it last year. I could forgive anything from Linus but not that.

It makes me sad, as Linus Tech Tips has been my very favourite channel for years, but now it is my least favourite of all my subscriptions.

My 2 rubel, anyway.

Well an opinions an opinion and we all must respect it

Just my two pennies on this subject - most other tech reporters, on television or otherwise, don't come close to providing quality opinions in anywhere near the time that Linus does.  Whether it's because of his experience as a product manager or just his personality, it's engaging and frankly it really shows when I watch other channels or even the BBC and people cover the same thing but I am instantly less enthused.

Luke's style is changing for the better as well and I feel that may have come about from the positive attitude that Linus brings to each segment he does.  However, it's pretty clear Luke doesn't get the name Slick for nothing - that interview with the developer from Xing showed he may even be more of a ladies man than his co-host! :)

dude why re hash this 2 weeks after it died?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

dude why re hash this 2 weeks after it died?

Ah sorry about that, you're quite right.  I was just browsing and it didn't occur to me.  

My apologies for any inconvenience caused.

i want more unboxings and personal opinions rather than just overviews. Otherwise its fine.

edit: sorry for bringing this back up!

Edited by Giddyguy

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Change your thread title to "I'm butthurt because LMG doesn't make the videos I want to watch", stop watching Linus' videos, have a Coke and a smile, and shut the hell up.

If it can mean anything to anybody at any time, it means nothing.

The only criticism I have of Linus is that his motherboard "reviews" feel more like "overviews". It feels more like he got paid to tell us information that we can find on the box. Also that he doesn't show us the boards fully installed and powered on (which I want so can judge the aesthetics of the boards if they have leds).

and don't blame Linus for branching out into smart phones, thats societies fault not his. However if he starts doing mobile gaming crap I will be upset because

a. Mobility is antithetical to gaming.

b. Its stupid and ruining gaming.

c. I hate mobile gaming lol.

other than that, id like to see more pc case reviews.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Also, I really would like to see people start ignoring the whole Kinect, move, Wii fad, which is exactly what motion control is, a fad

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Also, I really would like to see people start ignoring the whole Kinect, move, Wii fad, which is exactly what motion control is, a fad

A "fad" that'll last, clearly. I don't care about any of those but they'll keep trying to "innovate" and find out more ways to control stuff. With VR trying to make its way into the gaming market, you can expect that companies will try to figure out motion control. Kinect, Move and Wii will be remembered as rudimentary or failed attempts at capturing our intentions, yet perhaps they'll be stepping stones in some respect.

I see some of your points, but overall I still feel Linus' videos are very informative and useful even now. That "where are the hidden gems" thing is a bit unfair, they even recently launched the "under 100$" series where they talk about useful tech stuff that usually doesn't get that much stage time.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*