Data Storage 3-2-1 Featuring Synology DSM 5

LinusTech

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1tQNyTA

Amazon: http://georiot.co/2QXu

Data Storage 3-2-1 is an important guideline and Synology NAS can help you meet the requirements in a elegant and scalable way - Are there others methods if reaching data storage 3-2-1 requirements that you would like us to try? Tell us in the comments below!

{ If this; =

"The star of this show is Slick..."

Also; // "NoLinusFound"; 

{ / Then;  "see below"

•Thumbs Down & Ratings Fall•

Therefore; Result = "Show Cancelled"}

{script: Run // ' EndSession ';   }

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Just a note, you might want to try a more descriptive title, because to a newbie like me Data Storage 3-2-1 Featuring Synology DSM 5 just sounded like gobbly gook until I started watching, and that might make it difficult for people to find the video. 

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

i was going to buy one but i hated the fact that NASes use non NTFS filesystems

but i didnt really need a NAS

so im gonna buy one of those raid boxes and just use it in JBOD mode (separate drives individually accessible)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

{ If this; =

Also; // "NoLinusFound"; 

{ / Then;  "see below"

Mate slick is so Slick. Don't talk shit or you might get hit.

{ If this; =

Also; // "NoLinusFound"; 

{ / Then;  "see below"

This would've been awesome and gotten a Like if it were even remotely true and not douchey.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i would set all this type of stuff up i mean its neat and cool but like the you literally pay 100$aud for a drive slot for e.g. a 4 bay nas is like $400aud....wtf...

edit: and on top of the hdds which are will add up especially if you buy the 24/7 verified ones as you will probs leave it on....

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

Most important rule of backing up.

Always keep those backups in a sink!

Mate slick is so Slick. Don't talk shit or you might get hit.

This would've been awesome and gotten a Like if it were even remotely true and not douchey.

Are you guys actually serious?

I thought I made it as blatant as I could... I was being totally sarcastic..

Hell, go to Slicks profile and read his newest status update... I actually defended Slick, saying he is no worse than Linus and knows just as much in many cases. And that was yesterday.

...Just in case you think I'm just saying this to defend myself.

So, please, before replies like those, appreciate the context and don't read deep into only the content. I'm sarcastic 95% of the time.

Are you guys actually serious?

I thought I made it as blatant as I could... I was being totally sarcastic..

Hell, go to Slicks profile and read his newest status update... I actually defended Slick, saying he is no worse than Linus and knows just as much in many cases. And that was yesterday.

...Just in case you think I'm just saying this to defend myself.

So, please, before replies like those, appreciate the context and don't read deep into only the content. I'm sarcastic 95% of the time.

Learn what sarcasm is first, I don't know you. Nor could I, a person who is sarcastic most of the time, detect any, even upon rereading with the implied notion it was.

Try saying..

/sarcasm/ at the bottom or something if you're bad at it mate.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah Synology stuff is really good.  The only things i can say from experience is get a UPS!!!  I had a 12x4tb drive raid 6 crash after a power outage the software raid forgot the raid.  so the only way to recover the data was mount it in ubuntu or through Synology support that was very good and was able to fix it.  That was over 100k$ of data on that with no second copys

Learn what sarcasm is first, I don't know you. Nor could I, a person who is sarcastic most of the time, detect any, even upon rereading with the implied notion it was.

Try saying..

+1

Sarcasm doesnt mix with text

420 post :0

Try saying..

Lmao. 

You're telling me to learn what sarcasm is.. Just because YOU didn't catch it? Trust me.. Not everyone is going to catch everybody's sarcasm. That's obvious. Humor isn't linear; people have different tastes.

You want me to start labeling everything to help you out buddy? Sorry, I don't feel like dipping down to that kind of obviousness.

Even if it wasn't sarcastic.. I think your panties are in a bunch just a bit too much.. No?

Either way, I'm done discussing this. Definitely the pettiest thing I've gone through today, haha. So whether you reply or not, you're all alone in this particular convo now.

Anyways, as far as topic goes - I'm with @ForeseenVisionz on this. At least for me, it's too much to pay.. But they are great, and if they were much cheaper to construct I would probably have one.

Try saying..

You have been reported. Honestly? Using mate when you are clearly in the US? Shame on you, and I curse your feet.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

Lmao. 

You're telling me to learn what sarcasm is.. Just because YOU didn't catch it? Trust me.. Not everyone is going to catch everybody's sarcasm. That's obvious. Humor isn't linear; people have different tastes.

You want me to start labeling everything to help you out buddy? Sorry, I don't feel like dipping down to that kind of obviousness.

Even if it wasn't sarcastic.. I think your panties are in a bunch just a bit too much.. No?

Either way, I'm done discussing this. Definitely the pettiest thing I've gone through today, haha. So whether you reply or not, you're all alone in this particular convo now.

Haha don't worry. Even the most obvious jokes / sarcastic comments, will be taken seriously by at least half the people on the internet.

I've never found it hard to understand or convey tone via text. But apparently it is difficult for some to comprehend.

I knew that backing up to as may places as possible is ideal. But I only have 2-2-1 on automatic. An additional copy would have to be on an external drive manually. I have a goodsync profile for that but i have to think of it when i plug in the drive... Better have averything work on it's own.

I wanted to buy a synology NAS but for me, It was too expensive with limited functions. So as simple as possible (and as cheap as possible) but still safe enough, I took out an old zotac mini PC, bought a raid usb enclosure, set up bitsync and crashplan cloud backup for individual files and set up imaging of system drives (images are synchronised with bitsync too).

So this NAS which doubles as a HTPC and download station has photos and system backup of my PC and notebook. Dad's photos, documents and system backup. Phone photos, videos, call recordings and system backup. All of it is being sent to cloud backup.

the mini pc cost me about $250 back then, the new enclosure was $45.

I'm not counting my 2x1TB HDD I already had and was using for drive images and a copy of win7 which I got with the PC for free.

The thing has some shared folders, can download whatever I need from wherever (it's just a normal pc after all), run's a plex server, backs up my important things with versioning so I don't have to worry too much about accidental deletions or wrong rewriting of documents. Plays music and videos on TV and works with steam game streaming too. 

And for those who actually worry about electrical bills, including the ups, it uses around 40W. 

Sweet i just bought a DS1813+ Recently... i love it to death!!!

BTW: You are looking way more comfortable in front of the camera these days Luke :) 

Main Rig |  Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Intel 6700k @ 5ghz | Corsair H110i GTX | 16gb Kingston HyperX 2800mhz DDR4 | Corsair hx1000i | Intel 750 400gb NVME 2.5 SSD | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 8x 4tb Seagate HDD Synology DS1813+ | BenQ XL2720T | Zowie FK1 | Corsair K70 RGB | Sennheiser HD650 | Mayflower 02DAC and Amp combo | Blue Spark Microphone | Fractal Define S | Asus GTX980ti Strix

Wife's Rig | Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe | Intel 3770k @ 4.8ghz | Corsair H100i 4x sp120 Quiet Edition | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz DDR3 | Corsair ax760i | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 3x 24" Lenovo 1200p Screens  | Bit Fenix Prodigy 230mm Intake & af140 Exhaust | Gigabyte GTX780

Would love to see a freeNAS video as it allows you to make good use of old equipment!

P.S great video even without linus.

Would love to see a freeNAS video as it allows you to make good use of old equipment!

P.S great video even without linus.

that's what i planned to do with my old system but it would blow my electricity costs.. 100W nonstop is just too much.

1) Where did @Slick buy that shirt i want one

2) looking at other NAS like the WD sentinel and comparing them

3) a run though of free nas would be good

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I just wanted to post here as well (I posted about this on the youtube page as well). In the video your comment about upgrading the Synology with using a drive a least the size of your smallest drive or larger is incorrect. The new drive must be the size of the largest drive or larger. Just wanted to let you know. Here is the support document from their website that explains. Got to section 1.1 and read For SHR.

http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/tutorials/559

i was going to buy one but i hated the fact that NASes use non NTFS filesystems

but i didnt really need a NAS

so im gonna buy one of those raid boxes and just use it in JBOD mode (separate drives individually accessible)

Just as a heads up, most NASes you don't have to connect to directly, but go through a "middle man" for a connection

In the case of NTFS I assume windows, so samba would probably be your best bet.  It will still allow for a direct connection, just over the network.  This would also allow you to use any format you want on your main computer and the NAS, and should allow for seamless connection to your data.

You still don't have to get one, I just wanted to make sure you know.

Where is the Slick Tech Tips

He has outgrown Linus now and needs his own show!

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

Where is the Slick Tech Tips

He has outgrown Linus now and needs his own show!

Is his own Live Stream not good enough anymore?

And, I've noticed he gets featured a lot more now. Which is great. He is doing better and better on camera.

Definitely seems more comfortable.