Louis Rossmann hinting Youtube are about to close his channel

Gazzzzzzzzzzer

In this video at 09:43 Louis skirts around an issue he has been having with Youtube after he previously talked about an app he was developing called GrayJay (Grayjay - Follow Creators, Not Platforms) with the help of FUTO (FUTO - Bringing control of computing back to the people)

I believe a number of videos have been taken down by Youtube where he discuses the app which was designed to help prevent the likes of Youtube being able to just cancel creators online presence with a single click. It was an app you allow you to access numerous sites through a personal digital ID so that if Youtube did close you down they didn't wipe that online existence from the face of the earth, it would enable creators to stay connected 

I've not explained it very well but it was created on the back of several youtubers having their channels closed with no explanations, no right to appeal etc

Check out the video below from 09:43 onwards

A lot of creators are creating their own spaces for various issues with Youtube's policies. The whole firearms community is migrating off, some segregating to history/documentary specific sites like what Forgotten Weapons recently created (who's also on Floatplane btw). A lot of the educational specific channels have done the same. In various spheres of non-fictional content, most have some sort of platform they've migrated to but simply still post on Youtube for advertisement. Costs them almost nothing to always upload to Youtube, but that's increasingly becoming painful when Youtube reinterprets policy and strikes down channels based on old content.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Unless Louis is being extremely unreasonably combative, I doubt very much youtube cares enough to 'cancel him'. Floatplane exists, Nebula exists, etc etc. If anything it just is starting to suck having more and more random flipping places to find crap.

Everything becomes cable.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

6 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Unless Louis is being extremely unreasonably combative, I doubt very much youtube cares enough to 'cancel him'. Floatplane exists, Nebula exists, etc etc. If anything it just is starting to suck having more and more random flipping places to find crap.

It’s not his own space it’s YouTube without the ads. 

no you didn't explain it well but that's probably also because that concept doesn't make a lot of sense...  there's no "magic app"...

i get the idea (of why someone would try this) and support it, but the concept just seems sus. so i give them access to all my stuff (yeah never gonna happen lol) and guess what? if you're "canceled" you're still canceled, app or not...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Dude is gonna go full Kaczynski one of these days.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

On a more serious note than my last post: YouTube lets their main competitors advertise on their platform. I couldn't watch a video on the YouTube app a few months ago without getting a pre-roll for TikTok. They don't give the tiniest little toot of a shart about Louis talking up his hobby project. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

On a more serious note than my last post: YouTube lets their main competitors advertise on their platform. I couldn't watch a video on the YouTube app a few months ago without getting a pre-roll for TikTok. They don't give the tiniest little toot of a shart about Louis talking up his hobby project. 

I mean, youtube has one massive benefit that no one else has
The site is an archive

11 hours ago, Middcore said:

<removed by staff>

i dunno who that is, but i swear right after posting I thought "i wouldn't put it beyond him to delete his channel and blame yt, just so he can play the victim a bit more..."

Really tho, imo it was a fun ride as long it lasted, so ca. 2005-2015... but its time to move on, but as long "creators" are unwilling to do so, it's not gonna happen sadly.  

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, BrandonLatzig said:

The site is an archive

yes and no.... what about all the deleted stuff that yt deleted "for reasons..."? where are those videos archived? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

18 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

That is actually something Grayjay attempts to fix, you can "subscribe" to a creator and it will find them on all kinds of platforms (YT, Twitch, Kick, Rumble, etc.) and they even asked if Floatplane wanted to be found on the app which was talked about in the last WAN Show (no decision was made about it since Luke wanted to talk about it with Terren). Louis getting strikes because he talked about this app is exactly something this was created for.

1.9 million subscribers and 3500 videos hosted by YT for free..... and complaining about being censored. 

It is like those political book writers who sell millions of books and talk in 20 news shows every week about how they are being censored and can't propagate their message.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

3 minutes ago, Lurking said:

1.9 million subscribers and 3500 videos hosted by YT for free..... and complaining about being censored. 

It is like those political book writers who sell millions of books and talk in 20 news shows every week about how they are being censored and can't propagate their message.

Please inform yourself about the topic before posting flame bait. 🙄

Of course YouTube isn't going to promote content about an app that leeches their bandwidth without running their ads.

If you want to be on YouTube, you have to play by their rules.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

i dunno who that is, but i swear right after posting I thought "i wouldn't put it beyond him to delete his channel and blame yt, just so he can play the victim a bit more..."

Really tho, imo it was a fun ride as long it lasted, so ca. 2005-2015... but its time to move on, but as long "creators" are unwilling to do so, it's not gonna happen sadly.  

The problem moving on from YouTube is that is where most of the audience is, that and for some creators, TikTok. It's the network effect, the reason social media platforms and the big online games are so 'sticky'.

There is also the problem that video is expensive to host. Not as expensive as it was, but it's still expensive. Any competing platform would not only have to compete for creators, they would also have to compete for ad revenue. It would be very hard for a competitor to replace YouTube. Maybe TikTok could if it embraced longer videos, but it would come with very similar, some may say worse, problems.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

The problem moving on from YouTube is that is where most of the audience is, that and for some creators, TikTok. It's the network effect, the reason social media platforms and the big online games are so 'sticky'.

There is also the problem that video is expensive to host. Not as expensive as it was, but it's still expensive. Any competing platform would not only have to compete for creators, they would also have to compete for ad revenue. It would be very hard for a competitor to replace YouTube. Maybe TikTok could if it embraced longer videos, but it would come with very similar, some may say worse, problems.

You know with all of this going on, it makes me wonder
Just how big exactly is youtube gaming community. I mean, its like my prime reason to watch youtube

14 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

no you didn't explain it well but that's probably also because that concept doesn't make a lot of sense...  there's no "magic app"...

i get the idea (of why someone would try this) and support it, but the concept just seems sus. so i give them access to all my stuff (yeah never gonna happen lol) and guess what? if you're "canceled" you're still canceled, app or not...

theres plenty of apps that work like grayjay does, and well. GOG Galaxy comes to mind. With just normal account linking apis they can see all your games and function as a launcher. Its great.
Grayjay essentially does the same stuff as far as i can tell.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

yeah, i know and i agree,  its not easy, especially because yt has a quasi monopoly (for certain content) it was more me just saying something needs to happen  - i dont know how or what either,  but there are several possibilities i can see this happening,  i mean most monopolies don't last forever? 

tiktok aint it obviously... it makes sense for certain content (short stuff, memes, etc, idk) but not for the content that actually gives youtube value... educational stuff, in depth reviews, science stuff, etc... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah, i know and i agree,  its not easy, especially because yt has a quasi monopoly (for certain content) it was more me just saying something needs to happen  - i dont know how or what either,  but there are several possibilities i can see this happening,  i mean most monopolies don't last forever? 

tiktok aint it obviously... it makes sense for certain content (short stuff, memes, etc, idk) but not for the content that actually gives youtube value... educational stuff, in depth reviews, science stuff, etc... 

It’s not a quasi monopoly, is has a full on monopoly for long form(and by that i mean more than about…30 seconds) non adult VOD content.  

It is very nearly impossible to compete against as well, it had the luxury of growing to where it is when investment capital was basically free and could operate for over a decade at a loss to get established.  Now it has an unrivaled catalogue of content that can never be replicated anywhere.  Advertisers won’t go with a new platform that doesn’t have even fractions of a percentage of the viewers, people wont pay subscriptions to watch the same content they can get for free on YouTube, where does someone even start to create a competitor?  

Not to mention at BEST all you get is people posting their content on the new platform in addition to YouTube, so unless you require exclusivity you wont get…pretty much anyone except for big names they can pay a massive amount of money to, just like the non twitch streaming platforms tried to do right before they all failed, So its not like you can even compete with YouTube by having content they wont have, you’ll just have the a tiny amount of the same content and have to hope that your new monetization strategy(which i can promise will mostly just look like YouTube premium) can keep you afloat and growing like you need to.

Possible, but horrendously unlikely

9 hours ago, Vilacom said:

It’s not a quasi monopoly, is has a full on monopoly for long form(and by that i mean more than about…30 seconds) non adult VOD content.  

It is very nearly impossible to compete against as well, it had the luxury of growing to where it is when investment capital was basically free and could operate for over a decade at a loss to get established.  Now it has an unrivaled catalogue of content that can never be replicated anywhere.  Advertisers won’t go with a new platform that doesn’t have even fractions of a percentage of the viewers, people wont pay subscriptions to watch the same content they can get for free on YouTube, where does someone even start to create a competitor?  

Not to mention at BEST all you get is people posting their content on the new platform in addition to YouTube, so unless you require exclusivity you wont get…pretty much anyone except for big names they can pay a massive amount of money to, just like the non twitch streaming platforms tried to do right before they all failed, So its not like you can even compete with YouTube by having content they wont have, you’ll just have the a tiny amount of the same content and have to hope that your new monetization strategy(which i can promise will mostly just look like YouTube premium) can keep you afloat and growing like you need to.

Possible, but horrendously unlikely

i mean, this is arguable, but bili bili exists, with also arguably better feature sets... also i think fb/twitter allow longer videos (?)

... i mean i get it, it may seem like a full on monopoly, and defacto acts like one, but there *are* alternatives, which people mostly don't use because they're chasing the big money themselves, which is imo the wrong way to go about it. 

Its kinda like saying Nvidia has a dGPU monopoly when AMD "exists" ... sure maybe 10% market share if lucky,  but i don't see anyone suing Nvidia ... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Does Grayjay blocks ads for Youtube and give you access to some Youtube Premium features without a Premium subscription such as background play and video downloads?

If the problem is that Youtube won't allow them to promote their app because it blocks ads on Youtube or provides Premium features without a subscription then why don't they just remove those features from the app? For what the app is promoting itself to do (allowing you to find your favourite creators content in one place) ad blocking isn't necessary for that. The app could still show all the different content uploaded by those creators on various platforms and still allow the ads to be served.

If they want to make an app that blocks Youtube's ads or provides Premium features for free then accept that you can't advertise it on Youtube and that Youtube will probably try to shut it down like they did with Vanced.

Realistically the app doesn't even need its own video player. It could achieve the same goal by just being a feed of all the content uploaded by creators you follow across various platforms. If you click on the content it will show the various platforms that it is available on and you click whichever one you want to watch on and it will open the video on that app/website. It'll still accomplish the same goal of allowing you to see content from the creators you follow across any platform and prevent one platform from cutting a creator off from their audience.

On 11/8/2023 at 6:24 PM, Mark Kaine said:

I definitely wouldn't put it past him to do this intentionally knowing Youtube would pull those video(s) down just for the exposure and reddit outrage as a way to advertise the app. His pinned comment on the video is about the Streisand effect, which at the least implies he believes he is receiving more exposure as a result of Youtube removing the videos advertising it.

On 11/9/2023 at 12:57 AM, Lurking said:

And he's posted 5 new videos to Youtube since this one.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 11/7/2023 at 11:36 PM, Middcore said:

You haven't understood it at all. This isn't like Tiktok or Vimeo: this is an expanded version of youtube Vanced or NewPipe. Youtube's take is very different when it comes to those. 

On 11/9/2023 at 6:37 AM, Spotty said:

Does Grayjay blocks ads for Youtube and give you access to some Youtube Premium features without a Premium subscription such as background play and video downloads?

Yes, which is why I won't take his side on this one.

He developed and promoted an app that lets YouTube host and serve all the videos, but he strips out all the ads.

I feel like he knew exactly what he was doing, and then presented it in a a deceptive way to make people mad at Youtube for some reason.