Modern gaming sucks

MG2R

Coming from a thirty-something dude with planning issues, anytime I get to say "let's game for an hour", I spend easily twenty minutes of the hour re-logging in to the multiple accounts needed for a single game, reading new license terms because changing the deal after purchase is apparently a thing, and updating my local single player game with forced internet connections and updates. Just let me play the damn game already.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

Sincerely, an annoyed gamer trying to finally get into MSFS2020 after a month or two.

Update: somewhere between Steams cloud saves and MS' forced online crap they lost all my settings, custom profiles, etc... I ain't playing today. Thanks modern gaming.

Update2: my progress through flight training has been lost as well. Honestly this is horrendous.

Edited by MG2R

7 minutes ago, MG2R said:

updating my local single player game with forced internet connections and updates. Just let me play the damn game already.

That's me on the PS4/PS5. I don't use them regularly enough, so whenever I do feel like it, it needs to do a system update and software update first. With a more regularly used system like my PC, I still get the updates but it feels less common.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

When you want to play a game right now while you have free time...

But the game has a 14GB update and it doesn't give any option to simply "skip" this update to keep playing the outdated version... You HAVE to update. Guess I'm not playing for the next 45 minutes, which will leave me with 20 minutes to play before I need to go afterward.... may as well not play.

image.png.850138d1d6b0684050e8a3a9bb613b75.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

My own personal anecdote: Buying a steam deck allowed me to reinvest time into single player games and shorter gaming sessions. Having a device that I can grab and quick resume a civ v save or even stuff like rocket league has been Fantastic. 

I keep it by my bed and I can hop on for 20 minutes or 2 hours and get some quality gaming in without the distractions and hassles of sitting at my desktop. 

I have Steam only for BeamNG. Sometimes Steam needs to download a 300MB update for itself, and sometimes BeamNG needs a multi-gigabyte update. This is on 6 Mbit/s down and 1.5 Mbit/s up internet. On top of that, after a BeamNG update all the cache get deleted so I have to wait 5-10 minutes for all the assets to regenerate for every map that I load. On top of even that, major game updates wipe out all my data and setting so I have to avoid launching the game until I have the game folder fully copied.

And Steam is the respected one among modern gamers. I don't even wanna know what using all the other launchers is like.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

honestly kinda sounds like user error to me. yes, shit happens, but A no one is forcing you to play games with forced online, B as per my first sentence, cloud save errors are typically not even close to this frequent, B2 offline saves are a thing, C try playing better games. 

personally, i get it, sometimes online multiplayer can be fun, but you have to be really picky about them, do some research,  make sure they don't have practices that don't align with your expectations, etc.

ironically im currently having a *lot* of fun with OW, and that game sure has a ton of questionable stuff, but, i also really like the aspect you can unlock stuff, and most of it is free, or actually not that expensive (10 bucks per season) 

yes, there are $25 skins, but you don't *have* to get them, in fact the default skins are ok and dont make the game more or less fun...

actually,  you get a shit to of free "currency" which you can use to buy tons of stuff, you even get  some premium currency too... its actually pretty old school in that regard,  i love unlocking stuff! even the game play is kinda clunky, i love it (lol), just missing tank controls UwU

yeah, i get it, everything i said sounds like a lot of work, but then it really isn't as long you have *fun* ...

do you have fun playing video games,  what are your favorite genres, what's your favorite games, why do you play video games?

maybe that helps people to suggest some games...

14 hours ago, TetraSky said:

When you want to play a game right now while you have free time...

But the game has a 14GB update and it doesn't give any option to simply "skip" this update to keep playing the outdated version... You HAVE to update. Guess I'm not playing for the next 45 minutes, which will leave me with 20 minutes to play before I need to go afterward.... may as well not play.

image.png.850138d1d6b0684050e8a3a9bb613b75.png

i LOVE everything about this game, except the gameplay, the artstyle and the animations... lol... but the devs definitely have my support (in spirit),  lesgo!  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

I have Steam only for BeamNG. Sometimes Steam needs to download a 300MB update for itself, and sometimes BeamNG needs a multi-gigabyte update. This is on 6 Mbit/s down and 1.5 Mbit/s up internet. On top of that, after a BeamNG update all the cache get deleted so I have to wait 5-10 minutes for all the assets to regenerate for every map that I load. On top of even that, major game updates wipe out all my data and setting so I have to avoid launching the game until I have the game folder fully copied.

And Steam is the respected one among modern gamers. I don't even wanna know what using all the other launchers is like.

ok, i have like zero issues with steam, updates are usually very fast, the client updates take 30 seconds top?

battlenet same thing, extremely fast. i even like the ui better,  it feels more modern than steam (steam has more options tho)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

on steam it really depends on the game...some download and install fast, some download slow update fast, but the most annoying is the small or fast download and the take forever to install. ive had like 30mb update take almost a damn hour to install it. dead by daylight was good for that, but theres others now also
other game browsers ive used are pretty consistent downloading and updating

There's no QoL with these modern gaming platforms. I say this as somebody who's been an active user on Steam since the beta. Guess what? They had an offline feature in the past, but this all pales in comparison to the real issues, imo.

I do find myself increasingly disillusioned with the current state of the industry, even though I still enjoy and play the classics from time to time. It seems for every rare gem that gets released, there's 10 not worth even doing your due diligence on because it's safe to assume that at the foundation, it's the same regurgitated garbage with a shiny facade. There is no substance in today's AAA titles.

It's hard to pin-point where and when the shift happened. I think there's a correlation between when EA first implemented loot-boxes and when other companies took notice and shortly followed suit. Blizzard not long after introduced a WoW token, then added superficial items to their in-game shop. That would've been around 2014. Anyway, the modus operandi of these multi-billion-dollar companies is to rush out a product, no matter how FUBAR it is, then "fix it later". I have always been a CoD and BF fanboy, so it genuinely hurts watching the downfall unfold before my very eyes. BF3, BF1, and OG MW2 will always hold a special place in my heart. /endrant

“The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you are emotionally detached from it. I have always viewed it from a safe distance, knowing I don't belong; it doesn't include me, and it never has. no matter how you care to define it, I do not identify with the local group. Planet, species, race, nation, state, religion, party, union, club, association, neighborhood improvement committee; I have no interest in any of it. I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to.” ― George Carlin

9 hours ago, circeseye said:

on steam it really depends on the game...some download and install fast, some download slow update fast, but the most annoying is the small or fast download and the take forever to install. ive had like 30mb update take almost a damn hour to install it

........ that's actually true, i had this happen too, but the truth is i dont know if *any* of the common explanations makes *any* sense... (well except maybe server overload ig)

but the other truth is i didn't have this happen in over a year even with games that previously had this issue. 

Tbh, i don't really like steam or valve, but generally i have very little issues with steam, especially the last couple of years...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, 4bettingrags said:

There's no QoL with these modern gaming platforms. I say this as somebody who's been an active user on Steam since the beta. Guess what? They had an offline feature in the past, but this all pales in comparison to the real issues, imo.

its the reason i stopped playing on consoles... as per above i don't really have this issue on steam, or battlenet ...

since when did steam remove offline mode? lol... its still there for me. 👀 

ps: and per above,  i really try limiting the "online only" games im playing... i imagine someone who's playing a lot of them isn't going to have a good time (re: user error, frankly)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

its the reason i stopped playing on consoles... as per above i don't really have this issue on steam, or battlenet ...

since when did they remove offline mode? lol... its still there for me. 👀 

Poor wording on my part, I guess. I meant that when the platform was in its infancy, you could play games even while in offline mode.

“The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you are emotionally detached from it. I have always viewed it from a safe distance, knowing I don't belong; it doesn't include me, and it never has. no matter how you care to define it, I do not identify with the local group. Planet, species, race, nation, state, religion, party, union, club, association, neighborhood improvement committee; I have no interest in any of it. I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to.” ― George Carlin

2 minutes ago, 4bettingrags said:

Poor wording on my part, I guess. I meant that when the platform was in its infancy, you could play games even while in offline mode.

you still can...... 

(fyi steam on my laptop is in offline mode for over a year now, can still play games last time i checked) 

ima repeat this here:

9 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i really try limiting the "online only" games im playing... i imagine someone who's playing a lot of them isn't going to have a good time

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

you still can...... 

(fyi steam on my laptop is in offline mode for over a year now, can still play games last time i checked) 

ima repeat this here:

Not without issues. There's workarounds, but even if you succeed, it's a massive inconvenience.

3 hours ago, 4bettingrags said:

Not without issues. There's workarounds, but even if you succeed, it's a massive inconvenience.

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/0E18-319B-E34B-B2C8

hope this helps

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux