RTX 4090s are now banned here in China, that's a thing now.

longxh

Mostly out of stock now, remaining stock now costs about 23000 CNY or about 3150 USD, once they're all gone I guess we can only get 4080s or Ada6000s

7 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

Is there any reason why? Do you have a news source?

c114dfe017972464399693fa467e62a9.jpg.3ab85f2e3b4a7f7b9ab62d1db5a44617.jpgApparently, it's about AI, and the 4090 has enough compute power for it to get banned.

Sorry for bad grammar, English isn't my main language.

Also I can't find an image in English.

11 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

Is there any reason why? Do you have a news source?

I am assuming OP is talking about this.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/nvidia-may-be-forced-shift-out-some-countries-after-new-us-export-curbs-2023-10-17/

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Surprised the 4080 hasn't been banned as well. That's no slouch either, almost as good.

Or it's coming down the pipeline to be banned as well

1 minute ago, RobGMun said:

Surprised the 4080 hasn't been banned as well. That's no slouch either, almost as good.

Or it's coming down the pipeline to be banned as well

I'm more surprised the Ada6000 isn't banned either, probably soon though

Aren't these GPUs assembled in China? Where are they going to make them then?

EDIT: Apparently most (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Palit) are made in Taiwan according to Wikipedia. Sapphire and Zotac are made in Hong Kong.

13 minutes ago, HorseBattery said:

Aren't these GPUs assembled in China? Where are they going to make them then?

EDIT: Apparently most (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Palit) are made in Taiwan according to Wikipedia. Sapphire and Zotac are made in Hong Kong.

Assembled yes, but there's no stock at any major retailer now, only the secondhand market.

There is indeed a lot of news about this matter on the Chinese Internet, but most of the sources are a document published by Nvidia in sec. The specific implementation rules of the U.S. Department of Commerce are too long. My English is not very good, so it will take too much time to read them. However, judging from the fact that a100 and h100 were banned from being exported to China in the past few months, individual consumers can still buy them from some informal channels. I think the worst case scenario is that if Chinese consumers want to buy 4090 in the future, they will have to buy one from Japan and bring it back, because the air tickets from eastern China to Tokyo are not very expensive, and the US government cannot stop Chinese tourists from doing this.

6 hours ago, yuykyk said:

There is indeed a lot of news about this matter on the Chinese Internet, but most of the sources are a document published by Nvidia in sec. The specific implementation rules of the U.S. Department of Commerce are too long. My English is not very good, so it will take too much time to read them. However, judging from the fact that a100 and h100 were banned from being exported to China in the past few months, individual consumers can still buy them from some informal channels. I think the worst case scenario is that if Chinese consumers want to buy 4090 in the future, they will have to buy one from Japan and bring it back, because the air tickets from eastern China to Tokyo are not very expensive, and the US government cannot stop Chinese tourists from doing this.

However, Japanese customs can.

just for clarification, who banned them? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

just for clarification, who banned them? 

Will be something to do with closing of loopholes with the chip ban for china as they are used for AI.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/us-govt-restricts-shipments-of-geforce-rtx-4090-to-china-other-countries

Edited by SnugglyGirl
Added Link

They're not banned. They are allowed to be sold in China - they cannot be manufactured in China. 

11 minutes ago, PannyPancakes said:

They're not banned. They are allowed to be sold in China - they cannot be manufactured in China. 

To clarify, the chips can't be exported to china. It's the USA imposing this, not China.

1 minute ago, kitchenmadelemonade said:

Banned for power draw reasons I'm assuming?

Never mind I now see that its import/export regulations.

there wealthy people in china and this wont stop em. there will be ai.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

7 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

Agreed, all this does is slow them down. My concern is how AI could be used on the battlefield. I really think the UN needs to step in and we need to have a convention on AI and how AI can be used.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Agreed, all this does is slow them down. My concern is how AI could be used on the battlefield. I really think the UN needs to step in and we need to have a convention on AI and how AI can be used.

ai is already being used and if your talking about ai say powered tanks probably all ready a thing. but i mean they will still use people first before using the ai... as there cheap...

yes were are at a point were alot of jobs can be replaced so people are not really needed anymore. ill leave it at that.

but i mean why not just make an asic for ai then?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

54 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

This is not meant to stop individuals. This is to stop companies who but in large quantities.

45 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

That is fine for countries that are part of or follow UN conventions. Guess who doesn't?

Thread cleaned and locked.

No political content, regardless of your views.

• If something spans politics and tech, the discussion must remain clearly within tech and must not descend into politics.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450