What's the best pet to get for someone who has never had a pet before and has a busy lifestyle to keep company?

VirusDumb

What's the best pet which is easy to care for and maintain for someone who has never had a pet before with a 1 bedroom apartment and not burn it down when their at work, while also making them feel less lonely?

Pretty much anything that lives in a cage or tank (amphibians, lizards, rodents, fish) would work, logistically. Fancy rats can be smart and affectionate and you know fish won't escape and wreak havoc.

None of them will be exactly like having a cat or dog, though.

Of course, for the absolute lowest maintenance, there's always the classic:

image.png.9b3c11528197da95f0c93d5493f970c8.png

(Googly eyes sold separately)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

How much interaction is desired? The problem is, the more interaction you expect, the more effort it generally takes. Also check any rules on pets on the apartment. Random thoughts below but I'd suggest considering a Gerbil.

I've bred crested geckos in the past. Refresh feed and water ideally daily, deeper clean as needed. But they don't really interact so you might as well buy a plush.

Fish can vary a lot. Higher order fish like Oscars can be trained to do tricks even, but they require a massive tank. Probably not a good idea in a 1 bed apartment. Smaller fish might follow you for food. Best screensaver but not that interactive.

Mammals will take more attention. Larger ones like a dog or cat might be a bit much unless you're 100% sure about the responsibility. Smaller ones like Gerbils are pretty self contained and you can just top up food/water as required. If you interact with them regularly when young they can quite friendly.

I'm not familiar with pet birds but they might be an option too, if they're not too noisy.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 hours ago, VirusDumb said:

What's the best pet which is easy to care for and maintain for someone who has never had a pet before with a 1 bedroom apartment and not burn it down when their at work, while also making them feel less lonely?

Okay, so, my first piece of advice:

DO NOT GIFT SOMEONE A PET UNLESS THEY WILLINGLY CONSENT TO IT AHEAD OF TIME.

Pets are living creatures, they have needs, and their owners will have responsibilities. If the owner isn't properly committed, the pet will experience neglect, and possibly abuse.

With that out of the way? Probably a cat. I'd stay away from birds personally, and dogs require a lot of attention (especially when you first get one), and will require a lot of dedication for training.

Maybe fish or some kind of lizard? Every pet has their own unique quirks and needs, so please please please do lots of research first.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

30 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Pets are living creatures, they have needs, and their owners will have responsibilities. If the owner isn't properly committed, the pet will experience neglect, and possibly abuse.

Seconding this. Absolutely do not surprise someone with the responsibility of caring for the life and welfare of a living creature. Get them one of those animatronic plush toys instead.

I didn't even think of that, I assumed OP was looking for a pet for themselves.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I would only recommend a cat if they can go outside on their own while you're at work. If they can't go outside and are home alone for most of the day, then they will turn a small apartment upside down.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I would say just
a fish. Doesnt even need to be a fancy fish, give them a few baitfish and ifthey like it, the nthey can get a beta or a goldfish

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

With that out of the way? Probably a cat. I'd stay away from birds personally, and dogs require a lot of attention (especially when you first get one), and will require a lot of dedication for training.

Maybe fish or some kind of lizard? Every pet has their own unique quirks and needs, so please please please do lots of research first.

Oh no I'm getting it for myself 

Also I don't think a cat would be settled in a 1 bed room apartment and absolutely massacre my couch and mattress 

30 minutes ago, VirusDumb said:

Oh no I'm getting it for myself 

That's good to hear. You need to do a deep dive into pets and research the different requirements of each type.

As others have noted, pets that are "more interesting", tend to also be more intensive in their care requirements. Maybe a small caged animal might be a good start, but either way, every pet requires some level of care and interaction.

30 minutes ago, VirusDumb said:

Also I don't think a cat would be settled in a 1 bed room apartment and absolutely massacre my couch and mattress 

Having a cat in a 1 bedroom apartment entirely depends on the cat.

As for it scratching your stuff, that can happen regardless of the size of your home. There are ways to manage that, such as getting anti-scratch tape (It's clear plastic tape that comes in large sheets, and there's adhesive on both sides - when the cat scratches it, they don't like the sticky sensation), or getting those silicone caps put on their nails (That's what I do with my cat - they last 3-4 weeks before they need to be re-applied).

But a cat isn't for everyone. If you don't think a cat is right for you, that's totally fine.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 10/11/2023 at 5:24 PM, porina said:

How much interaction is desired? The problem is, the more interaction you expect, the more effort it generally takes. Also check any rules on pets on the apartment. Random thoughts below but I'd suggest considering a Gerbil.

I've bred crested geckos in the past. Refresh feed and water ideally daily, deeper clean as needed. But they don't really interact so you might as well buy a plush.

Fish can vary a lot. Higher order fish like Oscars can be trained to do tricks even, but they require a massive tank. Probably not a good idea in a 1 bed apartment. Smaller fish might follow you for food. Best screensaver but not that interactive.

Mammals will take more attention. Larger ones like a dog or cat might be a bit much unless you're 100% sure about the responsibility. Smaller ones like Gerbils are pretty self contained and you can just top up food/water as required. If you interact with them regularly when young they can quite friendly.

I'm not familiar with pet birds but they might be an option too, if they're not too noisy.

I did some research on gerbils and found out pet shops in India don't keep them and only a few rare shady unlicensed exotic pet shops do 

But I guess I'll look for some other pet rodents that are self reliant and can live in a small apartment either between a hamster or a guinea pig 

16 minutes ago, VirusDumb said:

But I guess I'll look for some other pet rodents that are self reliant and can live in a small apartment either between a hamster or a guinea pig 

I never looked at either of those in detail but I believe they're not too dissimilar from gerbils. Of course, do your research and whichever way you go, hope you have fun.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 10/11/2023 at 4:37 AM, VirusDumb said:

Have you tried a girlfriend?

With one of them your apt could be cleaner when you got home

and dinner could be ready.

And some are better than cats at conversation. 🤣

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

On 10/11/2023 at 2:58 AM, Needfuldoer said:

Pretty much anything that lives in a cage or tank (amphibians, lizards, rodents, fish) would work, logistically. Fancy rats can be smart and affectionate and you know fish won't escape and wreak havoc.

None of them will be exactly like having a cat or dog, though.

Of course, for the absolute lowest maintenance, there's always the classic:

image.png.9b3c11528197da95f0c93d5493f970c8.png

(Googly eyes sold separately)

Energetically will I meet enemies of the United States

2 hours ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

heheheehheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ahaha 😑 i cant get one

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

14 hours ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

Had one, the maintenance was too high for me to afford and worst of all she didn't let me play my favourite song on the speakers (it's degenerate by blink182), saying I'm too gross and immature and needed to grow the fuck up 

Jump Spider. im serious.  it doesn't sound like you're ready for any pet tbh, but a jump spider shouldn't need a lot of time investment,  but you still need to care for it properly,  make sure it has the right living environment and play with it at regular intervals (at least 2 times a day) and feed it properly of course.

if it survives, great, if not, you're definitely not ready for a pet.

(i would get a jump spider myself,  but i have 2 cats, i don't think it's *that* good of an idea lol)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Jump Spider. im serious.  it doesn't sound like you're ready for any pet tbh, but a jump spider shouldn't need a lot of time investment,  but you still need to care for it properly,  make sure it has the right living environment and play with it at regular intervals (at least 2 times a day) and feed it properly of course.

if it survives, great, if not, you're definitely not ready for a pet.

(i would get a jump spider myself,  but i have 2 cats, i don't think it's *that* good of an idea lol)

I don't think my landlady would allow that, she has a fear of spiders and my apartment is the only one in the city that has no spiders