Scientology based group files Anti-Right to Repair Statement to US Copyright office

rcmaehl

Summary

Scientologists are looking to have a loophole added to Right to Repair Legislation to exclude devices that use software "governed by a license agreement negotiated and executed" before purchase.

Media

Quotes

The right-to-repair movement has had its share of adversaries. From Big Tech to politicians... who don't think product repairability should be government-mandated, it has been a tedious battle. One of the most recent wins came from Apple... supporting repairability legislation.  Taking Apple's place is a new entity aiming to limit right-to-repair legislation: Scientologists. A letter sent on August 10 to the US Copyright Office by Ryland Hawkins of Author Services Inc [who] represents the "literary, theatrical, and musical works of L. Ron Hubbard, the late founder of Scientology [and] is owned by the Church of Spiritual Technology, which describes itself as a church within Scientology addresses Section 1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), which "makes it unlawful to circumvent technological measures used to prevent unauthorized access to copyrighted works." The Scientology group's letter seeks to alter exemptions granted for self-repairing... consumer electronics.  Author Services' letter argues that while that exemption... shouldn't apply to devices that "can only be purchased and used by someone who possess [sic] particular qualifications or has been specifically trained in the use of the device." The license agreement is "negotiated and agreed to in advance" of purchase and may include restrictions that are critical to "safe and proper" device usage. "It's a totally unreasonable proposal," Elizabeth Chamberlain, director... at iFixit, told Ars Technica. "I can imagine manufacturers using the presence of a 'quick start' guide for a product as evidence that their consumers are 'specially trained in use of the device' and thus denying broad access to repair." Such an amendment would render the proposed exemptions for commercial and industrial equipment from right-to-repair activists "toothless." 

My thoughts

Welp, if right to repair advocates start disappearing, you all know why. It was a nice movement while it lasted and we made great strides. Jokes aside, I can understand how they're trying to phrase this exception as reasonable but it is highly abusible and should not be accepted. 

Sources

Gizmodo

ArsTechnica (quote source)

The Register

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Maybe it is reverse psychology ? Scientology supports right to repair but feel that if they say they don't, some of these big companies with change their mind because they don't want to be associated with Scientology.

Because realistically, who cares what scientologists think?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

11 minutes ago, Arika said:

Maybe it is reverse psychology ? Scientology supports right to repair but feel that if they say they don't, some of these big companies with change their mind because they don't want to be associated with Scientology.

Because realistically, who cares what scientologists think?

Tom Cruise 😄

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

While scientology as an organization has had some of their legal teeth pulled, they still have some very scary practices, and writing them off as a joke might be a bad move.  Maybe the best move for tech media would be to make this a very public issue, not calling out scientology so much as just making people aware that they have taken action here.

I guarantee this has something to do with their kooky E-meters and preventing people from disproving them.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

8 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

I guarantee this has something to do with their kooky E-meters and preventing people from disproving them.

It has everything to do with that. They hate that you can buy them on eBay and look at the hardware, they REALLY don't want you to see the software inside which means it must be REALLY juicy.

Psychopath's are calling the shots in this world.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

and it was that dude again.

funny how no talks about the site or other YT channel that talk about right to repair.

just the one that drama the most.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

How

On

Earth

this group is going to be lobbyed by corporations???

More greed for bigger money??? C'MON!

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

19 hours ago, dogwitch said:

and it was that dude again.

funny how no talks about the site or other YT channel that talk about right to repair.

just the one that drama the most.

He is literally lobbying for RTR and is one of the biggest channels covering it because of it. Also there are more channels doing it but usually very small ones.

9 hours ago, WereCat said:

He is literally lobbying for RTR and is one of the biggest channels covering it because of it. Also there are more channels doing it but usually very small ones.

the issue is . people are to laY to research a topic. so its what ever drama that get them. that why the person rep become big.

its a disservice to people  fighting it every day. that doing the real work. while a dude seat on a couch  rambling on.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Thread cleaned and locked. This very quickly turned in to religious debates.

• No trolling or flame-bait.
    • This includes topics such as AMD vs NVIDIA, "company X sucks", and religious debates.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450