Is there anything I need to know before getting a 4060?

Flux Azreal

I've been running a 1050 for a really long time, and I think it's time I upgrade I was originally thinking an Intel Arc A750 but it's blender rendering performance is really bad, I mainly use my computer for game development in Unreal Engine 5 and I do a lot of Blender cycles rendering, I'm also very fascinated with the AV1 hardware encoding and I'd love to play with it, I do some gaming here and there but it's mainly things like Legaue of Legends but ocasionally want to try high demanding games, my use cases for a gpu is very broad and I belive Nvidia can satisfy those needs, I know there's a lot of hate with the 40 series and I'm unsure if it's because the price to performance is bad on all cards, or the higher end, or the build quality is bad. I'm planning on going for the Asus Dual RTX 4060 OC Edition, I think there's issues with gigabyte having brittle PCBs and I'm not sure if the card im going for suffers from anything like that, and im sure theres other stuff I need to consider aswell, would anyone give me some pointers or things I need to be aware off before buying the asus 4060?

The hate comes from low or no income AMD fanbois that play shooters 24/7 at some 300 plus FPS on a tiny 1080p monitor, because they can't afford NVIDIA.

Once you consider things like ray tracing, AV1, AI coding, rendering, reliability, proper drivers from day one, NVIDIA is a much better brand.

The 4060 is a fine GPU for only 300 bucks. I own an Asus ROG 4070 OC and a TUF 4090 OC. Not a single issue.

23 minutes ago, Flux Azreal said:

I've been running a 1050 for a really long time, and I think it's time I upgrade I was originally thinking an Intel Arc A750 but it's blender rendering performance is really bad, I mainly use my computer for game development in Unreal Engine 5 and I do a lot of Blender cycles rendering, I'm also very fascinated with the AV1 hardware encoding and I'd love to play with it, I do some gaming here and there but it's mainly things like Legaue of Legends but ocasionally want to try high demanding games, my use cases for a gpu is very broad and I belive Nvidia can satisfy those needs, I know there's a lot of hate with the 40 series and I'm unsure if it's because the price to performance is bad on all cards, or the higher end, or the build quality is bad. I'm planning on going for the Asus Dual RTX 4060 OC Edition, I think there's issues with gigabyte having brittle PCBs and I'm not sure if the card im going for suffers from anything like that, and im sure theres other stuff I need to consider aswell, would anyone give me some pointers or things I need to be aware off before buying the asus 4060?

If I can throw in my suggestion I would say don't get a 4060, it has been torn apart by reviewers. I would suggest going last generation Nvidia or AMD, even a 3060 12GB for cheaper and you would get more VRAM or I'm sure you could find a 3070 for the same price and 3070 is faster.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

Also as a side note I own an Arc A750 and I love it but it does come with its fair share of growing pains but for the price its amazing.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

5 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The hate comes from low or no income AMD fanbois that play shooters 24/7 at some 300 plus FPS on a tiny 1080p monitor, because they can't afford NVIDIA.

Once you consider things like ray tracing, AV1, AI coding, rendering, reliability, proper drivers from day one, NVIDIA is a much better brand.

The 4060 is a fine GPU for only 300 bucks. I own an Asus ROG 4070 OC and a TUF 4090 OC. Not a single issue.

There are obvious benefits to both but generally at the lower end nvidia offerings suck. On the high end the 4090 is objectively the best gpu on the market but I would have a hard time buying anything under a 4080 from nvidia. The 4070ti with 12gb is just a ticking time bomb for the card being outdated in a couple of years. Personally if I was going for more entry level prices I would go for last gen AMD as they are on crazy good discounts at this point and it's hard recommend Nvidia's offerings at that price point. 

6 minutes ago, Renton577 said:

If I can throw in my suggestion I would say don't get a 4060, it has been torn apart by reviewers. I would suggest going last generation Nvidia or AMD, even a 3060 12GB for cheaper and you would get more VRAM or I'm sure you could find a 3070 for the same price and 3070 is faster.

He said he wants to get into AV1. 4000 series offers dual NVENC with 8K 10-bit 60FPS AV1 hardware encoding.

The fourth gen tensor cores are also a massive improvement over the 3000 series.

3rd gen Ray Tracing Cores too.

35 minutes ago, Flux Azreal said:

I know there's a lot of hate with the 40 series and I'm unsure if it's because the price to performance is bad on all cards, or the higher end, or the build quality is bad.

It's a couple of reasons, but the main this is just terrible price to performance. It gets outperformed pretty significantly by the RX 6700 XT, a card that costs the same amount. The other big reason for the hate is that just off silicon sizing, this card is more along the lines of a -40 or -50 series card due to its very small memory and PCIe bus width, so the card in general feels like a cash grab. 

There's still reasons to get these, mainly that low profile 4060 that Gigabyte just released as it's the fastest low profile GPU you can buy and they're very power efficient if you have high power costs, but for most people it would make sense to go for something else instead. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

There are obvious benefits to both but generally at the lower end nvidia offerings suck. On the high end the 4090 is objectively the best gpu on the market but I would have a hard time buying anything under a 4080 from nvidia. The 4070ti with 12gb is just a ticking time bomb for the card being outdated in a couple of years. Personally if I was going for more entry level prices I would go for last gen AMD as they are on crazy good discounts at this point and it's hard recommend Nvidia's offerings at that price point. 

Last gen AMD doesn't support AV1.

2 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

He said he wants to get into AV1. 4000 series offers dual NVENC with 8K 10-bit 60FPS AV1 hardware encoding.

The fourth gen tensor cores are also a massive improvement over the 3000 series.

3rd gen Ray Tracing Cores too.

Didn't see the part about AV1, I know the 3000 series has the decoder but forgot they didn't add the encoder until 4000, I just find it hard to suggest 4000 at anything below 4080 tier for the price.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's a couple of reasons, but the main this is just terrible price to performance. It gets outperformed pretty significantly by the RX 6700 XT, a card that costs the same amount. The other big reason for the hate is that just off silicon sizing, this card is more along the lines of a -40 or -50 series card due to its very small memory and PCIe bus width. 

There's still reasons to get these, mainly that low profile 4060 that Gigabyte just released as it's the fastest low profile GPU you can buy and they're very power efficient if you have high power costs, but for most people it would make sense to go for something else instead. 

According to passmark the 4060 has better price to performance

Just now, Renton577 said:

Didn't see the part about AV1, I know the 3000 series has the decoder but forgot they didn't add the encoder until 4000, I just find it hard to suggest 4000 at anything below 4080 tier for the price.

I think it makes no sense to expect that Nvidia has to compete on the same price levels as AMD.

That's like expecting a Mercedes Benz E class 4 cylinder to go for the same amount as a Honda Accord, just because they share the same top speed.

2 entirely different brands, different customer groups, different product qualities.

5 minutes ago, Renton577 said:

Hmm where does it say the 4060's price to performance is bad? According to passmark it's the best price to performance in the 4000 series and most 3000 series except 3060, 3060ti and 2060

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's a couple of reasons, but the main this is just terrible price to performance. It gets outperformed pretty significantly by the RX 6700 XT, a card that costs the same amount. The other big reason for the hate is that just off silicon sizing, this card is more along the lines of a -40 or -50 series card due to its very small memory and PCIe bus width, so the card in general feels like a cash grab. 

It is not silicon sizing that dictates the final retail price, its supply and demand. And when it comes to the demand, some 85% of the market buys Nvidia, for more reasons and not just the none RT FPS to price ratio.

2 minutes ago, Flux Azreal said:

According to passmark the 4060 has better price to performance

Passmark's pricing isn't current, the 6700 XT is $30 cheaper than they took into account which means that for an extra $30 over the 4060 you get 20% more performance. 

1 minute ago, McCarthy said:

I think it makes no sense to expect that Nvidia has to compete on the same price levels as AMD.

That's like expecting a Mercedes Benz E class 4 cylinder to go for the same amount as a Honda Accord, just because they share the same top speed.

2 entirely different brands, different customer groups, different product qualities.

I think that viewpoint is a bit skewed, they are both GPUs and right now AMDs last gen offering has better price/performance and even Nvidias last gen. I don't have a hat in any ring, I have an intel card and that on its own has its own shortcomings but the 4000 series that's not top end fell short this generation.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Passmark's pricing isn't current, the 6700 XT is $30 cheaper than they took into account which means that for an extra $30 over the 4060 you get 20% more performance. 

I did mention my usecases are unreal engine 5 and rendering, AMD is mainly gaming and their rendering performance doesn't compete with nvidia's cuda cores sadly, furthermore their av1 encoding is horrible so I'm not considering any AMD

2 minutes ago, Flux Azreal said:

I did mention my usecases are unreal engine 5 and rendering, AMD is mainly gaming and their rendering performance doesn't compete with nvidia's cuda cores sadly, furthermore their av1 encoding is horrible so I'm not considering any AMD

If the A750 had better blender performance I would suggest that for you, I have one and its AV1 encoding is awesome and seems to work well for all I throw at it, some games show a bit less performance than they should but overall it was a good purchase.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

9 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

It is not silicon sizing that dictates the final retail price, its supply and demand. And when it comes to the demand, some 85% of the market buys Nvidia, for more reasons and not just the none RT FPS to price ratio.

No, silicon sizing determines how much it costs them to make the card. It's a card that they're taking double the margin they usually do, and that is causing a ton of backlash from the community. 

You really do just sound like a Nvidia fan boy right now, just saying. 

7 minutes ago, Flux Azreal said:

Yeah, your use case is a bit unique. I was trying to respond to that question saying that the 4060 was hated, and it's because for the vast majority of people it's just not a good option for price to performance. For you it's probably the least bad option in that price bracket for the feature set, so it would probably make sense to get, though the low VRAM amount might be an issue in the future. 

From what I've seen though their AV1 encoder is actually on par with Nvidia's, it's their H.264 encoder that's complete garbage. You'd just have to get an RX 7600 if you wanted to go AMD, and for the extra $30 to get better RT and UE5 performance it does make a bit more sense. 

I wouldn't get an 8GB card unless you are running 1080p or less (or something older).

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

3 minutes ago, Renton577 said:

I think overall this comes down to viewpoint, I don't have brand loyalty, I have used different brands of cards over the years and by no means has Nvidia been perfect, I've had issues with AMD, Nvidia, and now Intel and on the flip side I have had great experiences with all 3. At the end of the day it comes down to price/performance for me and the features you get

I was looking to see what the 7900xtx offered and unfortunately, it came short.  First, it came short on when it was available then the performance wasn't as good as I had hoped.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

1 minute ago, ewitte said:

I was looking to see what the 7900xtx offered and unfortunately, it came short.  First, it came short on when it was available then the performance wasn't as good as I had hoped.

Oh no I agree this generations AMD top ends weren't good either when it came to price/performance, they were priced too high.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

58 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Lol exactly, the GPU alone is good, is it the perfect upgrade from last gen? of course not
But a lot of people seem to ignore the fact that when you buy a GPU, you're buying something from the Nvidia platform, and it comes with a set of software features.
And instead they'd rather focus on raw power (which is still almost decent)

Like buying a phone, I'd take samsung over Xiomi any day, because of software differences, it is like saying that Xiomi offers similar specs and raw power for lower price than samsung, so lets hate samsung

1 hour ago, ewitte said:

Wait, what are you talking about? XTX performance is disappointing to you? I mean perspective I guess but it literally does triple digit FPS at 4K Ultra in the vast majority of games.

I dont... what...? Lol how is that bad? Its faster than an RTX 4080 and only gets slower if you turn Ray-Tracing on. I get its not the 4090 but like how much performance do you need lol?

RTX 4090 is massive overkill for the majority of people, 90 FPS is fast enough to look 100% smooth and basically feel as responsive as it gets, anything beyond 100 FPS is just a bonus.

I mean what you trying to play Cyberpunk 2077 at 4K Ultra with 100+ FPS or something? If so ull need more like twin 4090s for that one lol, not that SLI exists anymore *RIP*

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

2 hours ago, Flux Azreal said:

For AV1 encoding you can go with any of the current gen line ups. Nvidia 4000, Arc, or AMD 7000. 

For Blender I'd like to say to give it another week and see what AMD's offerings end up doing, but that's a very large gap to try to close.

Typically here I'd also like to suggest the used market for a 3000 series that would do better performance to dollar, but Ampere doesn't have AV1 encoding, only decoding.

That basically just puts your options at the highest tier 40 series card you can afford. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

For AV1 encoding you can go with any of the current gen line ups. Nvidia 4000, Arc, or AMD 7000. 

For Blender I'd like to say to give it another week and see what AMD's offerings end up doing, but that's a very large gap to try to close.

Typically here I'd also like to suggest the used market for a 3000 series that would do better performance to dollar, but Ampere doesn't have AV1 encoding, only decoding.

That basically just puts your options at the highest tier 40 series card you can afford. 

@Flux Azreal

I actually 100% second this. I totally forgot there was an RTX 3060 version with 12GB of VRAM and since new gen is bottlenecked and basically offers ZERO more performance overall when you average all resolutions, you can save some cash and also get more VRAM if you are dead-set on Nvidia.

Can't believe I forgot there was a 3060 12GB *facepalm* lol 🤣

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread: