Best time to buy a new phone is now...

Mobile SoCs have been 64-bit-only for OS for a long time now. What that meant was that they can only run a 64-bit host OS, so no more 32-bit version of Android. Good riddance, we did not need 32-bit OSes in even the late 2010s.

Unfortunately, Qualcomm (and others) may have went a step too far. 2024 mobile SoCs will not even be able to run 32-bit apps, which is a massive problem! People bought Android devices because they can run legacy software on the go (to a certain extent), either natively (old Android apps) or through emulation.

That means that if I upgrade to the Red Magic 8S Pro, it will be my last smartphone. Normally I would be apprehensive about buying a new phone, and suspicious of whether it would last me, but that is not true anymore. There is no upgrade path from the Red Magic 8S Pro that exists in the same form factor. Future phones will not be able to run legacy software that was the reason I even still use Android. Due to that, 2022 flagship smartphones will definitely last for years until something way better comes along.

https://www.xda-developers.com/arm-future-chips-32-bit-2023/

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/snapdragon-8-gen-3

https://www.sammobile.com/news/exynos-2400-specs-10-core-cpu-2x-gpu-rdna-2/

Will an emulator be made to fix this glaring issue? Or will there be another SoC that retains legacy software support and still remain competitive? Until something like that appears, there is no upgrade path. New Android phones will not interest me in the slightest, and any performance improvement gained by new SoCs are nullified by their lack of ability to run legacy software.

Sounds to me you are making a big deal out of something that isn’t. If you are using an application that was only complied for arm instead of arm & arm64 that means it’s hasnt gotten updated since 2014 and will most likely stop appearing on google play due to SDK limitations google introduces. 

4 minutes ago, Smithfield said:

People bought Android devices because they can run legacy software on the go (to a certain extent), either natively (old Android apps) or through emulation.

They did? I personally never saw someone who made that statement.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

12 hours ago, Levent said:

Sounds to me you are making a big deal out of something that isn’t. If you are using an application that was only complied for arm instead of arm & arm64 that means it’s hasnt gotten updated since 2014 and will most likely stop appearing on google play due to SDK limitations google introduces.

Yes, I require applications that have been abandoned since before 2014. Hell, one of those was Flash. At some point, Android had Flash support. It was removed in Android 4.1, but Flash support can be partially restored in Android 4.1 through 4.4, and Android 4.4 can run in a VM, but only if there is still 32-bit-capable hardware onboard.

16 hours ago, Smithfield said:

Yes, I require applications that have been abandoned since before 2014

Are you sure there are no alternatives?

16 hours ago, Smithfield said:

one of those was Flash

🤯

2 hours ago, rikitikitavi said:

Are you sure there are no alternatives?

Ignoring Flash for a second, OpenBOR still has no alternatives, and is still 32-bit-only. How else will I play Project X: Love Potion Disaster on Android?

There are seriously a lot of fun flash games, teagames and mousebreaker had a lot of fun games.  Like tg motocross, bmx something, billiards games, racing, and lots more.  Sure, there may be similar games available via downloadable software, but I remember having lots of fun with lightining pool.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

On 8/27/2023 at 10:19 PM, Smithfield said:

Yes, I require applications that have been abandoned since before 2014. Hell, one of those was Flash. At some point, Android had Flash support. It was removed in Android 4.1, but Flash support can be partially restored in Android 4.1 through 4.4, and Android 4.4 can run in a VM, but only if there is still 32-bit-capable hardware onboard.

I'll be honest: I don't think it's realistic to expect mobile OS developers and phone vendors to support apps and technologies nearly a decade old. So much has changed since then, and maintaining compatibility that far back is a technical nightmare.

Besides, Steve Jobs was right: mobile Flash was a performance hog, buggy and insecure. Obviously modern phones wouldn't have as much of a problem handling it, but there's a good reason Flash died and was replaced by a combination of HTML5 and native apps. Even Adobe urged people to move on years ago.

There's also a philosophical element here. If you insist on holding on to apps or features forever, you miss out on new apps and features you might really enjoy. You hurt yourself by refusing to let go. And I've seen this story play out before. The folks who refuse to buy a phone without old feature X or Y seldom get the industry to bend to their will — they just become That Person holding on to a dying seven-year-old phone, making themselves suffer while they wait for the change that never comes.

The app stores are weeding out apps that don't support newer OS. So this really is a non-issue for 99.999999999999% of users. 

Isn't flash a huge security and resource issue? And that is when it still was supported many years ago. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro