About WAN Show

Rackneh
33 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Is it 120 now? There's like 85 on the website, I can't keep up.

Anyway, they said they are pausing video production, so I don't know why WAN Show would be an exception. The potential is there for it to get really ugly with chat and how whoever is hosting responds, and I do think the attitude that "the streak" is really an important thing here is a bit tone-deaf.  I mean, isn't the attitude "A certain amount of content on a certain schedule must be maintained no matter what" at the heart of a lot of their current problems? 

I think they've said WAN doesn't feel like a production. I believe even Dan last week was like "yeah, it's kinda just a few buttons for me." And then it's Luke and Linus chatting away. 

I hope they have it, but I also can't phathom how it would feel. I can only imagine uncomfortable, but maybe there's a format for it that could work. Also, I could see them being scared the optics would look bad. The backlash from the apology video may still be ringing in their ears. 

I might consider cancelling the WAN Show, or perhaps have Riley and Jacob/Alex guest host this week to relieve some pressure. Have Linus/Luke do a pre-recorded intro, maybe self-deprecating, maybe explaining that they are refocusing energies on internal improvements, and introduce the backups, who are competent and engaging.

I would watch this; it might reduce the community boil to a simmer. Having Linus on-screen for four hours unfiltered and untethered could be owning up and facing the MP3 music, but it could also become very toxic. 

17 minutes ago, Sand Trout said:

Overall, I think that a lot of people are overdramatizing what's happening. Yes, a bunch of shitty things probably happened at LMG. Yes, making things right won't be easy. But they have a bunch of amazing people working there, who are more than capable of doing it. And this includes Linus. I don't think that any of his fuckups have been malicious, he's just gotten way over his head managing a company that grew too quickly. Not to mention his personal flaws, which naturally became more prominent once he became rich and famous. I think that in the end he can deal with it, the company can deal with him, things won't be perfect, but they'll be a lot better.

I don't think GN has any quarrels with LMG. He wants them to be true to their words. If they say, they produces accurate content, it should be accurate. But Linus emotional response likely did enough to damage whatever was left of their non-professional relationship. I can still see them having a business relationship though.

I do agree that the drama wasn't really proportional, but after the first response I think it was adequate. And most people only wanted LMG to make it right. So I don't think anything is wrong with that. The people wanting them to fail and go bankrupt because of it, were pretty few. (All of this doesn't take into account Madison's allegations though)

I think it would be a good idea to keep people informed of the progress and whats happening.

If the individuals involved are doing well in terms of mental health and want to, I think it could be good for the community.

I am not sure if a crisis management team would approve though.

10 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

I think it would be a good idea to keep people informed of the progress and whats happening.

If the individuals involved are doing well in terms of mental health and want to, I think it could be good for the community.

I am not sure if a crisis management team would approve though.

I hope for some sort of show in safe-mode, but I agree. Putting people who have been through a lot of stress, and the center of the attention having dealt rather poorly with it when being impulsive... Yeah, it's perhaps not ideal 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

They will do the WAN show, and they will not spend more than 20 min on all the latest "drama" if that at all.

I definitely wouldn't expect a production pause to necessarily affect WAN show, but I could understand it not happening for a multitude of other reasons.

That being said, I still hope they have one as usual, and frankly I hope if they do they DON'T spend an inordinate amount of time on the subject, as I'm kinda tired of it personally, but more importantly, I think it's better handled through more professional statements and videos. 

They'd have to address everything to some degree, of course, otherwise it would be weird. And chat about if for a bit. But I don't want it to be the whole theme of the show, otherwise I'd be just as happy with them cancelling it.

I think the Wan show in the current format is off. There is no way that Linus is going to appear with the chat on, and not make a even bigger mess. Maybe if Terren and Luke (or other combination without Linus), they will be able to make the show, somewhat turbulent, but if Linus appears, there will be so much chaos in chat, that I'm not confident he would be able to continue.

With that being said, and taking what Yvone said about the videos, I don't think there will be a WAN show this week.

1 hour ago, adm0n said:

I don't think GN has any quarrels with LMG. He wants them to be true to their words. If they say, they produces accurate content, it should be accurate. But Linus emotional response likely did enough to damage whatever was left of their non-professional relationship. I can still see them having a business relationship though.

I do agree that the drama wasn't really proportional, but after the first response I think it was adequate. And most people only wanted LMG to make it right. So I don't think anything is wrong with that. The people wanting them to fail and go bankrupt because of it, were pretty few. (All of this doesn't take into account Madison's allegations though)

Steve comes across like a person with a cold and calculated agenda.   Its appears to have been brewing inside him for months, and he found an avenue to stick it to him when the LMG employee said that silly stuff on the Labs tour.   I am not disputing Steves points, but it seems like discourse should have occurred between him and Linus months prior, to resolve the problems he saw.  THEN if he still saw problems, put on blast and note how you had a convo and nothing changed.  I think it went south with 'trust me bro'    

4 hours ago, Rackneh said:

I agree but we don't know who contributed to the toxic work environment, they'd have to have one or two people they KNOW won't be implicated.

It's an alleged toxic environment. 
At a company with a low turn over rate. 
The allegation was by someone who seemed to be having interpersonal issues with everyone else. 

It's possible really bad things happened. 
With that said you can have two people who went to a small high school. 1 says it was the best time of their life. Another says it was the worst time of their life. 
Both bits can be true for different reasons. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

I think WAN should happen but in the beginning they should say that GN and Madison are off limits for the entire show, because they already responded Wednesday and nothing has changed yet in the 2 days since.

3 hours ago, Middcore said:

Is it 120 now? There's like 85 on the website, I can't keep up.

The LMG website only lists direct LMG workers. Linus's "100+" includes Floatplane and Creator Warehouse workers also which aren't listed on the LMG website. The "100+" is basicly everyone working in companies owned by Linus and Yvonne (I don't remember was the LMG which owns the other two or was all of the three owned by some "Yvonne's Evil Corporation" [Linus quote, don't kill me]).

What it comes to the WAN show, I hope they break the streak, there just isn't any way the show won't turn into shitshow that puts everything into whole another gear or it will be completely irrelevant "two talking heads with pre-scripted dialog about nothing" show with zero interaction and driven to the point they could just as well record it early and stream the recording.

If the streak is so important, I really hope they just say "hi", play the intro, explain there's a lot going around and holding a livestream really isn't a good idea, say "bye", roll the outro and finish it with "everyone can hold their very own afterdark". The risk of just throwing more fuel to the fire one way or another is just 110% probable and that would be just pure stupidity.

Next week is probably the earliest they IMO could throw WAN show and even then, carefully planned and operated. Like maybe release a video where the heads talk about what they have gone through and what will be the next steps now that they have had time to plan and think and the WAN show would be natural continuation to that in form of well moderated Q&A. Maybe, like MAYBE, if there was some huge tech news that would change the direction of Earth's rotation, MAYBE, comment on them but otherwise the floor is just too much lava right now (IMHO).

I wouldnt consider the streak broken if they skip this week.

The streak is Linus & Luke have done every WAN since x, if theres no WAN then they havent missed it, 

31 minutes ago, Blahx said:

Steve comes across like a person with a cold and calculated agenda.   Its appears to have been brewing inside him for months, and he found an avenue to stick it to him when the LMG employee said that silly stuff on the Labs tour.   I am not disputing Steves points, but it seems like discourse should have occurred between him and Linus months prior, to resolve the problems he saw.  THEN if he still saw problems, put on blast and note how you had a convo and nothing changed.  I think it went south with 'trust me bro'    

This piece was more about letting the audience know of the systemic problems at hand. The normal viewer doesn't have the time to validate all of the information, and I wasn't aware of how many mistakes they are actually making. 

I think the point of GN making this all public first, is that all these issues were already brought up to LMG by the community. They have already publicly addressed them either with pinned comments or in the WAN show. With all of that in mind, reaching out to LMG to tell them, that their response to various issues is wrong, seems weird too. GN isn't their consultant.

I could also see them not reaching out due to the obvious issue that would arise should LMG contradict their past statements. That way they basically had to portray them as liars. This way they at least had the chance to address the criticism correctly. But that's just a theory and I haven't seen anything that would prove that.

4 minutes ago, Timoran Synkral said:

I think WAN should happen but in the beginning they should say that GN and Madison are off limits for the entire show, because they already responded Wednesday and nothing has changed yet in the 2 days since.

Even saying that, I think there will be people going there. Like I've said, if Linus shows up, chat will be uncontrollable, and there will be hell to controll it. To me, the best bet is to have Linus removed from this one, reserve a part of it to address what have been done, even if it's little progress, and then move on to other topics. Either they like it or not, this hole debacle is Tech News for the week.

5 hours ago, Rackneh said:

Is tomorrow gonna break the WAN streak?

Production has been halted, if they decide to do one anyway do you guys think Linus will adress things or is he gonna ask to have patience until the investigations are over?

They spend half the WAN show talking about LMG these days. Linus ego trip. If the new CEO is smart, he pulls Linus off immediately, basically forces him to retire from public life, re names and re brands the channel, fires the unprofessional frat boys that Linus put in place and keeps the better pros they have and basically re imagine the entire entity. Anything short of that to me isn't going to make any sense. It's just sweeping the problems under the rug. Clearly Linus saw this coming, he knew something like this was going to happen, that's why he preemptively stepped down and put an old trusted colleague with zero LTT baggage in charge. 

3 hours ago, CMKaru said:

Not sure if it is allowed on this forum, but I get the vibe that jake is someone who might be responsible. Sadly it fits his on screen persona.

That's great. Let's start accusing people based on personal like/dislike! You just have to love the internet!

Go for it, dude. Put out a list of employees of LTT and rate them on "likeliness of sexual harassment" based on your assessment of their onscreen persona.

DISCLAIMER FOR THE INTERNET: THIS IS SARCASM!

Just now, BigFatTeddy said:

That's great. Let's start accusing people based on personal like/dislike! You just have to love the internet!

Go for it, dude. Put out a list of employees of LTT and rate them on "likeliness of sexual harassment" based on your assessment of their onscreen persona.

DISCLAIMER FOR THE INTERNET: THIS IS SARCASM!

In all honesty you are right. That is not a good thing to practice. I am very annoyed by the situation and how it is blown out of proportions and I let myself get carried away in emotional statements as well. Good for you on rightfully calling me out. 

I don't know if they are capable of it, especially given the emotional toll this would take on any human being, but it would be cool if Linus and Luke just hopped on Discord or something and did WAN show, san production value... and not talk tech.  I know that sounds insane, but maybe just having them bro-out would be a neat way to keep the WAN streak going (keeps spirits up) but also send a clear message that they are taking their 1 week sabbatical seriously.  As many of you have already mentioned, doing WAN show isn't really a large amount of work.  Get together and share stories about before LMG or something... I don't know.  I'd still tune in.

if they do have a WAN show... let Luke be host... and bring on Terren and Yvonne (one at a time guess no room for all 3) have some good topics on how they are handling things... it would also shutup ppl are the SA thing which can't be publicly spoken about but they can be told that "something is happening" and then how they plan to fix stuff etc. (in more detail than the sad excuse of an apology video)

40 minutes ago, CrabbyDadTech said:

They spend half the WAN show talking about LMG these days. Linus ego trip. If the new CEO is smart, he pulls Linus off immediately, basically forces him to retire from public life, re names and re brands the channel, fires the unprofessional frat boys that Linus put in place and keeps the better pros they have and basically re imagine the entire entity. Anything short of that to me isn't going to make any sense. It's just sweeping the problems under the rug. Clearly Linus saw this coming, he knew something like this was going to happen, that's why he preemptively stepped down and put an old trusted colleague with zero LTT baggage in charge. 

oh Linus can still do videos but he should have NO management responsibility on the production... he will just be told, make a video about this... and if he "don't want to because it costs money" then he gets told to redo it and do it properly... he should focus on making the content... not the money, not the management etc. etc. he is the name and the face nothing more

I joined the forums just to say that I sincerely hope there is a WAN show this week. I strongly relate to Linus and the things he struggles with --not the tangible things, but we have similar personalities and backgrounds, so seeing his raw, uncut responses to situations while dealing with significantly more pressure than I do on the daily helps guide me in some respects (how to act or not to act, etc.). He does a good job considering all the crap he has to put up with every single day. And yeah he can be immature in how he responds sometimes, but overall, I believe he genuinely cares and tries his best. 

5 hours ago, CMKaru said:

Not sure if it is allowed on this forum, but I get the vibe that jake is someone who might be responsible. Sadly it fits his on screen persona.

Responsible for what? He's a labs employee. He hasn't been around long enough to be responsible for anything other than the inconsistent data

1 hour ago, CrabbyDadTech said:

As someone who has gone through some re-orgs and seen the impact of M&A on two Fortune 500 companies coming together... 
HAHAHAHAHAHHA. 
People can only absorb so much change, so fast. 
People often stick at a work place because they like their coworkers. 
Gutting a huge chunk of a team, quickly and making huge, rapid changes is a great way to have people just leave en masse. 
That's NOT what you want if you're trying to build stable processes or take advantage of a viewer based that's generally stable and will likely forget one controversy or two here and there. 

LMG was already in the process of improving and refining processes. The optimal strategy is to double down and say:
"We saw issues with QC. We were ALREADY taking steps to fix refine and improve processes, which included hiring a CEO, and building automated processes and quality checks; we talked about these things at X, Y, Z times (with time stamps). 
Some, though not all, of the latest slip ups were growing pains related to pushing for improved quality overall."

When I hear "topple the whole thing" I usually think of "radicals" that probably thought that the USSR and Communist China were on the right side of history because some people said "the right things" and made token gestures for the little guy. There's a reason why my ex's family fled one of those countries for the US.

If the goal is to make the most readily offended/outraged people happy. That only works for around 10 seconds. If you give them an inch... they're take a mile. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

An idea, that would satisfy both the streak and shutting up Linus:

Have Luke an Terren host the show with Linus visibly tied and gagged and away from the mics and chat for the entire duration.