About WAN Show

Rackneh
11 minutes ago, pordzio said:

An idea, that would satisfy both the streak and shutting up Linus:

Have Luke an Terren host the show with Linus visibly tied and gagged and away from the mics and chat for the entire duration.

I'm not going to lie and say I didn't find that humorous. That said, I don't want to minimize the damage LTT has inflicted on the Tech Press and especially the very serious investigation into an office culture that ignores and tolerates harassment. 

self imposed deadlines, video schedules, etc, ... WAN streaks seems to fall into the same bucket IMO, they need to defer.  I think changing the hosts is just going to shift the stress to other people.  let it go...

I originally thought wan show would be a bad idea.  

but in all honestly there is no pleasing the internet.  

on one hand yes Linus could say something that might be taken wrong, but Linus is also his most human on wan show.  So having him come on and address stuff might actually be good

ive learned over the years working with subordinates and being a subordinate that silence is the worst response to problems.

it breeds distrust, controversy and conspiracy.  

being open may seem harder in the beginning but in the end it actually makes yours, your peers and the people around you more comfortable 

1 hour ago, pordzio said:

Have Luke an Terren host the show with Linus visibly tied and gagged and away from the mics and chat for the entire duration.

I was thinking the exact same, they even get to joke about it this way (which they clearly love).

The WAN show will 100% go on as normal. I don't why you think they would do otherwise...

1 minute ago, GTC said:

The WAN show will 100% go on as normal. I don't why you think they would do otherwise...

Because they said they were taking a week off from making videos.

3 minutes ago, Erioch said:

Because they said they were taking a week off from making videos.

1. The WAN show is not a video

2. They haven't missed an episode in years, why would they skip one now due to some drama?

8 minutes ago, GTC said:

2. They haven't missed an episode in years, why would they skip one now due to some drama?

I didn't say there wouldn't be a WAN Show, I was stating why it might not go off this week.

1.  It most certainly is a video.

2.  To show that they are serious about taking a break and rethinking things.

They probably shouldn't, because at the very least the live chats would probably be a disaster. And even if they weren't going to address the dumpster fire, it'd probably be very awkward for everyone. And addressing the dumpster fire in a live setting would be ill-advised this soon.

I guess it would suck for them to break their streak, but come on, that streak isn't actually meaningful beyond sentimental value.

Not having one this week would be the mature decision. Not to mention this week is hell for them and everyone will just want to go home on time on Friday, and they damn well should.

4 hours ago, pordzio said:

I think among the chaos he's having to deal with, going live (and preparing for it) is probably the last thing he should have to do this week.

He should be able to focus on the internals and then *maybe* join WAN show once something's actually been done that's worthy of reporting on and answering questions about.

11 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Terren needs a comically oversized "MUTE LINUS" button.

image.png.874a4c5c624cbeb51f5475660f8afcb0.png

I want to see Linus, Luke, Terran, and Yvonne all on wan show and everyone has this button in front of them and it drops a bucket of water on Linus or something. Maybe shoots him with feathers. 

2 hours ago, GTC said:

Because of the nature of the drama.

They talk about it, Linus says something he's not meant to and makes things worse.

They don't talk about it, they get accused of trying to avoid it, they would basically not be able to read chat at all, the only news over the last week has been the drama.. so what would they be talking about?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Erioch said:

I didn't say there wouldn't be a WAN Show, I was stating why it might not go off this week.

1.  It most certainly is a video.

2.  To show that they are serious about taking a break and rethinking things.

"Video" was probably meant to say scripted and edited content, not a livestream.

I think if they do WAN Show they should do one without sponsors and disable merch messages for the show. I also think they should have Dan get a list of the hard questions and comments from the YouTube comments, the forum, X, and Reddit and do a Q&A to that.

I would personally upvote the shit out of it if they did it. I imagine they won't be able to give any statements on the Madison situation as that is an ongoing investigation but I would be happy for WAN Show if "production is halted" just means "we aren't going to monetize this video in any way" and they use it to address community concerns. It would go a great deal towards repairing my trust in them.

I suspect the Wan Show will be very awkward at best and there will be no way to avoid talking about this past week. But the thing I will be watching for is if it starts on time. I get really annoyed when it starts hours late. I have felt for a long time that the late starts are just disrespectful to the audience. 

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. (Jeremy Clarkson)

19 minutes ago, Mrtoyou said:

I suspect the Wan Show will be very awkward at best and there will be no way to avoid talking about this past week. But the thing I will be watching for is if it starts on time. I get really annoyed when it starts hours late. I have felt for a long time that the late starts are just disrespectful to the audience. 

Those late starts are from the crunch of finishing videos on time, so maybe we'll get on-time WAN Shows as a result of this drama.

Either way, I'm on camp "No WAN Show this week" unless Linus is really just a masochist and finds pleasure in being flogged on livestream.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

3 hours ago, GTC said:

Yeah this isn't just "some drama" grow up. You are going to be fine if there isn't a WAN show 1 week. 

Yeah I'd agree either have a replacement co-host like Alex or Riley, or don't have it at all.

It's kind ok a catch 22 anyway, if they do it, they'll be branded (rightfully so) as even harder shills, but if they skip it, then it sends the message that "it's so bad & they're so scared linus will say something terrible" again. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Good job linnus, nice hole you got yourself here

In light of everything I think the WAN show should take a hiatus until the internal investigation is finished and emotions have cooled off. Linus is clearly an emotional person and I don’t fault him for that. However, at this time I think a WAN show would pour fuel onto the fire. 

The best thing I think they could do, would be to have the next WAN show be a community Q&A where all the management team is able to address the community concerns, provide an update on the new processes, and address the sexual harassment allegations. 

As far as I can ascertain as a disappointed 37 yo professional over dinner from reddit, twitter and GN, It's finally happened, you've come off the rails.

LTTs reputation is a train wreck at the bottom of a burnt bridge. Serious sexual harassment allegations, questions on toxic work place culture, questions surrounding sponsorship ethics, accuracy.

There's some sort of apology video, I'm not sitting through another Youtuber knee-jerk, it'll be nails on a chalk board in what ever light you tried to paint on the fire and you've all run off for a week to reflect. Good for you.

WAN should be a single topic fixed show, unsponsored, hosted by Luke and Terren Tong where they talk through what has happened, address allegations and the GN video in full. Update and address the community, answer questions for as long as it takes to get through them all. Sorry but Linus needs to take an extended sabbatical and go and enjoy some of his other projects.

LTT three years ago was a world leading force during Covid that spearheaded the Folding at Home charge to develop a vaccine, you've taught generations, including myself, how to build a computer, you've informed, educated and stood up for the user for a decade. This is your one and only wake up call, you need to rediscover this mojo, or call it a day whilst you are ahead. 

53 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Those late starts are from the crunch of finishing videos on time, so maybe we'll get on-time WAN Shows as a result of this drama.

Either way, I'm on camp "No WAN Show this week" unless Linus is really just a masochist and finds pleasure in being flogged on livestream.

And it'll be better next week somehow?

My vote would be for WAN to go forward with the following changes:

1. Only topic is the issues and how things are going with the pause
  2. Merch messages are turned off, interact with FP chat instead
  3. Have Terren and Yvonne as guests
  4. Linus is moved to Dan's position. He's there, he's working as producer, the streak is intact, but he's not talking.
  5. Dan gets to sit in Linus's chair (and remaster the Xmas album)

There will probably be at least one occasion where Linus tries to inject. The audience needs to see the others shut him down. 

Yesterday i thought of a gameplan on how to maybe save the wan-show. Even it makes me sad we are ruin Dan's streak, i think they should take a break from WAN-show. Even with all of the merch messages, no sponsor, nor community questions, I think the chances to split the community even more, is likely if they are having the wan-show.

They are tredding on eggshells now, so it might be better just standing still, then move, at least for now

Apparently WAN is still going to happen. So much for "effective immediately all YouTube video production is on pause"

image.thumb.png.3d7aa9c36289cffe899b40be5eb07e61.png

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |