What do we do now?

LinusTech
Just now, Woddell said:

If someone raised a HR grievance/concern where they had to have a whole-company meeting (which is what it sounds like) they wouldn't mention any names? That's like standard HR practice. 

the complaints were public, everyone knew what they were talking about outside LMG let alone on that room. You are just trolling

I think we need to chill on the madison situation.  Let's wait for both sides present their case before coming to a judgment.

LMG made a ton of fuck ups but doesn't mean they don't get an opportunity to present their case.

4 minutes ago, Cl0udK1ller said:

I think we need to chill on the madison situation.  Let's wait for both sides present their case before coming to a judgment.

LMG made a ton of fuck ups but doesn't mean they don't get an opportunity to present their case.

I agree. Obviously any sort of harassment allegation should be taken seriously, but taking it seriously also means getting all the facts. If the allegations prove true those responsible need to face the music but if serious consequences are on the table serious investigation needs to happen first. The court of public opinion convicts on scant evidence, and often the story is more complex than has been presented - not to say that Madison did not have a legitimate concern, simply that we don’t know the full story yet; nor, I suspect, do Terren, Linus and the other C-suite officers

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

3 minutes ago, Cl0udK1ller said:

This is my thought as well, 3 sides to a situation, side 1, side 2, and side3 the truth. You can't make an informed discission about the truth unless you have all sides to the story. 

1 minute ago, joaopt said:

the complaints were public, everyone knew what they were talking about outside LMG let alone on that room. You are just trolling

I'm not trolling. All Linus did in that meeting was read through the company grievance policy to remind people who they could speak to if they had an issue. I don't think there's anything sexualized with James' comment but people will hear what they want to hear I guess. 

it's only a matter of time until this blows in their face

1 minute ago, Woddell said:

I'm not trolling. All Linus did in that meeting was read through the company grievance policy to remind people who they could speak to if they had an issue. I don't think there's anything sexualized with James' comment but people will hear what they want to hear I guess. 

For sure. I think it was in bad taste but we can’t expect people to be 100% perfect all the time. 

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Curious to see how this whole situation will resolve, I hope that it really becomes a turning point for the company, both in the video production aspect and in the human aspect.

- Less filler videos that push to extremes the writers, editors and everyone involved, while also giving more time to focus on the videos that actually gets through, which would result in less mistakes in graphs and data, and could give some more time to each step in the creation of the video. In simple terms: quality over quantity, while keeping the same entertainment value

- Less stress for the everyone, from Linus himself, who could probaly dedicate more time to his family, to the newest editors on probation and so on...

It's clear that as things were until now it was impossible not to have hiccups, some small like some wrong numbers on the data of a GPU results, some bigger like the Billet Labs situation. Hopefully the company will move on with a better future now that it has seen what a backlash can happen in such short time.

The Madison situation looks like something that should be taken care of through legal actions, and the statement released seems to point to an improvement on that side of the management. Wether any accusations are true or false, if an investigation takes place and the result is an improvement in work conditions, that creates a safer space for everyone, it will all be for the better.

I don't care about the small jokes that fell flat in the apology video, nor it being delayed, what counts is the steps that will actually go through after today. As stated before, let's hope it's a wake up call for the company and that it will lead to brighter future, both for the content quality and in the management.

1673901184867.gif

2 minutes ago, joaopt said:

it's only a matter of time until this blows in their face

You fully believe just some random reddit person? I'm a bit more harsh and not willing to believe just some random reddit comment unless there is something verifiable that can back up what they are saying. 

2 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

For sure. I think it was in bad taste but we can’t expect people to be 100% perfect all the time. 

sexual harassment claims

calls it "gossip"

CEO and HR present, the persons the victim should come forward to

jokes and comments to dance on top of the table

the CEO and HR person laugh it out

is this normal?

1 minute ago, Woofer21 said:

You fully believe just some random reddit person? I'm a bit more harsh and not willing to believe just some random reddit comment unless there is something verifiable that can back up what they are saying. 

the random person that has a random audio recording of an internal meeting about the case?

sexual harassment claims

calls it "gossip"

CEO and HR present, the persons the victim should come forward to

jokes and comments to dance on top of the table

the CEO and HR person laugh it out

is this normal?

Sexual harassment claims

- CEO reminds everyone that they can reach out to their manager, Linus/Yvonne, or a third-party representative as well as make reports anonymous if they don't feel they can come forward. 

A colleague makes a joke at the end asking his boss to dance on the table before he's done. 

- CEO immediately says 'thats it!' and doesn't laugh or address the comment. 

We must've listened to different recordings.  

I stop watching for two weeks TWO DAMN WEEKS AND THIS SHIT HAPPENS.

also teleprompter go BRRRRRRRRRRR

3 minutes ago, Woofer21 said:

See, i don't know if i would necessarily call this a lie. 

Billet asked if they where going to compensate - In a failed email Colton said yes they would, and then Linus sent his email after the GN upload.

So in my eyes, it seems like they did agree to payment, in the sense that billet asked for compensation, and LTT agreed to it. It seems more like Linus not explaining well over Linus lying. 

We can take what you say as true, and consider what that means. I say that because I believe neither of these two recounts are okay.

Billet Labs had asked if they would get compensated. Now, that's not an agreement. They could still turn it down in favor of the block or some other recourse. In an extremely unprofessional act of managing to auction an item that shouldn't have been auctioned, Billet Labs are informed in an e-mail that says "we managed to sell your prototype 😬". I can't imagine telling even my mom that something like that happened, let alone another company. It's so hastily handled, and poorly followed up, that no one notices that they didn't even send it to the company. So Colton's e-mail stating "we'll pay you" doesn't reach them.

Now, just for context, Linus in his video says that he was "made aware of the situation", and then contacted them. At the same time, he's saying that if GN had contacted him, he could show that they were already agreeing to pay them. But they weren't already doing that. That had tried to send an email, but hadn't, but that isn't agreeing to something.

Instead of disregarding nuance, and this discussion we're currently having of nitpicking points, Linus calls Steve's journalistic integrity into question. Instead of actually untangling the mess that it was, either not realizing that Colton hadn't reached them, or not acting accordingly, he doubles down.

You see, it's not the lie itself that's bad. George Costanza said that it's not a lie if you believe it yourself. This is kind of the contrary. If you now have the information that your company f***** up in so many spectacular ways that it's no wonder there's a controversy against you, you should say "man, we messed. I am so sorry to Billet Labs, and I understand GNs position. I'll work to rebuild this trust.

To instead spend the energy, even in the apology video, to call into question the veracity of GNs statements, even when every single thing GN said was true... That's not okay. My take is that this is a lie. Your take is that it isn't. As my recount in this, both are equally bad. Lie or not, Linus reacted in a manipulative way. He is unable to defend himself when he feels attacked. He needs to be better.

The fact that there are so many concerns left out, and that this is the one Linus focuses on, is a disingenuous misdirection. He's found technicalities on things he can argue against. Instead of taking the blame, he feels he has to defend himself. It's very indicative of all the red threads we see of a shitty company in the recounts coming out. Linus is core of the problem.

7 minutes ago, joaopt said:

the random person that has a random audio recording of an internal meeting about the case?

Its been posted before on a different account, so yes, it is a random person with a audio recording already posted before. 

1 minute ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

And also it seemed like a joke directed to Linus. Sure, very bad timing, but putting James on the gallows for what it seems to be a joke made in a tense moment maybe is a bit too much. The situation is in the hand of both an internal and an external investigation, as stated by the CEO. We can't and we shouldn't comment on it because it's not our duty, and also because we don't have means to properly investigate the matter.

There's laws, infrastructures and paths to follow to ensure that anyone responsible for what happened, no matter what happened (either sexual harrassment/assault and/or false testimony), will pay for what's been done.

I'm sincerely disheartened by this whole situation: the sloppiness of content that went online in the past few months, the "need for speed" to publish 25 videos a week that inevitably reduced the individual quality of each piece of content, and, well, the BL situation that was a huge sh*itfest, be it because of bad communication or any other reason. To be completely honest I never really took everything that LTT videos said for granted, I always double, triple, quadruple sourced all of the information I needed on a specific hardware component (as a small fellow reviewer it's a must to be sure that I didn't fuck results up in a benchmark, since we don't really have much hardware to test things with and the competitiveness of this space doesn't let you call a colleague from another website to ask "hey, what did you get for this GPU? I got X") because being in this area of "expertise" I know games could fuck up, drivers could fuck up, hardware could fuck up and when you have less than a week to test different configurations on 10, 15, 20 games at 2 or 3 resolutions it's soooo hard to notice errors because you're victim of the little time you have to go online at the embargo expiration. But I understand that my opinion is irrelevant because consumers are not that informed and come to us for hopefully unbiased, honest opinions on the newest hardware products, so we're always held at a higher standard.

I hope things will get better for everyone, be it LMG, Billet Labs, Linus himself or Madison herself, 'cause it's clear that things gotta go a different way from now on.

3 minutes ago, Woddell said:

Sexual harassment claims

- CEO reminds everyone that they can reach out to their manager, Linus/Yvonne, or a third-party representative as well as make reports anonymous if they don't feel they can come forward. 

A colleague makes a joke at the end asking his boss to dance on the table before he's done. 

- CEO immediately says 'thats it!' and doesn't laugh or address the comment. 

We must've listened to different recordings.  

really different recordings if you don't listen to laughter after the joke and they say nothing about it. At a public sexual harassment report case inside the company, that Linus labels as "gossip"

13 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

I really don't know where you work where this is the sort of thing that can happen and you can shrug off. If anyone I am in charge of said anything like that in any situation, I would've reacted immediately. In no place I've ever worked has this been the type of joke that's ever happened, or that would have not been met with quiet gasps and the knowledge that that person is going to have to talk to someone about what they just said.

I don't expect anyone to be perfect, but this is like someone punching their significant other, and you saying "well, you can't always be perfect".

really different recordings if you don't listen to laughter after the joke and they say nothing about it. At a public sexual harassment report case inside the company, that Linus labels as "gossip"

I could be wrong, but maybe the gossip is not that the SA allegations were "gossip", but that there was gossip about the reason why Madison left? IF, and IF, that meeting came right after Madison left the team. For all we know it could have been recorded at any moment, even before Madison was even in the scope of LMG. I'm not saying she lied, nor I ever thought something like that. I'm just saying that since we don't know the entire context of everything, it could be totally unrelated to her.

Everyone should quit crying! They apologized whether you like it or not. They are going to try and do better whether you like it or not. Get over it and see how they change. Cause crying about someone that has stuck up for the community of gamers for year is just a waste of energy. 

27 minutes ago, Woddell said:

The obvious reason is they're not allowed to single people out who raise HR concerns. have you ever worked in a company with HR? 

Yup. I've worked in a 250.000 employee company with more HR e-courses, virtual binders and guidelines than I'd ever care to see again. If something specific came out, the company would state in unequivocal terms what they are referring to. If you're trying to beat down on gossip by doing handwaving, and saying "everyone should understand what this is in reference to", that's when you speak on vague terms. What happens if someone doesn't know? They're out of the loop. This might be common place American practice due to the nature of litigation over there, but that doesn't impact on the fact that this is a ridiculous way to conduct anything.

Just now, joaopt said:

Gossip: "casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true.". 

From what I remember of the drama with Madison it was fans making accusations, not Madison herself (Madison even stated this in her Twitter thread). It's the literal definition of gossip. Linus can't actually do anything about it if Madison didn't report it and there's no proof she did. 

2 minutes ago, ReHWolution said:

I could be wrong, but maybe the gossip is not that the SA allegations were "gossip", but that there was gossip about the reason why Madison left? IF, and IF, that meeting came right after Madison left the team. For all we know it could have been recorded at any moment, even before Madison was even in the scope of LMG. I'm not saying she lied, nor I ever thought something like that. I'm just saying that since we don't know the entire context of everything, it could be totally unrelated to her.

Did you check out the context of the video? Nitazene-King-002 posted this after having been in contact with employees at LMG. We know the context of the video.

3 minutes ago, Woddell said:

Gossip: "casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true.". 

From what I remember of the drama with Madison it was fans making accusations, not Madison herself (Madison even stated this in her Twitter thread). It's the literal definition of gossip. Linus can't actually do anything about it if Madison didn't report it and there's no proof she did. 

That's an extremely reactive way of looking at things. I'm ridiculously certain that this is the way Linus would do things like this, but that's not the only way. If you start hearing rumors about things you don't want happening at your company, as CEO, you are free to investigate. If I started hearing rumors that there's rampant sexual harassment at my work, I would've investigated and checked if it was accurate. I don't have to wait for proof. C'mon.

It's sad to see how many people in this forum just want to see LTT fail when what they really need to do is just grow and learn. You can't expect a company like this to grow like this and not make mistakes along the way. It's just not possible. It's good to be critical, it's good to give feedback, and it's also good to admit fault, grow from it, and change your ways. I don't know what's true and what isn't still, and to be honest, I don't really care as long as they make things right - whatever that means. I'll never know if they do or not entirely, but I hope it works out and the content and company improve.