What do we do now?

LinusTech
1 minute ago, Woddell said:

"A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it"

Considering it was a miscommunication and no one intentionally auctioned while knowing that it was to go back to Billet Labs. It's not theft.

I do agree it is a miscommunication though that doesn't make me feel better about it. Like I said, the result to Billet Labs is similar to if a theft had occurred.

5 minutes ago, Woddell said:

LMG has made a lot of bad takes recently, some small some very large. GN made a scrapbook video highlighting all of it and the community went crazy. 

All of it. Lol you can’t be serious. He highlight a TINY random fraction of it. 

10 minutes ago, linkboy said:

It was the cost of the prototype waterblock in the email Colton send (it's blurred out now).

I literally just came back to this page after having seen the Reddit post that has the old video. Coltons work email also got outed, as well. TBH, though, the idea of (name) @ (company name) .com was not a difficult concept to work out. There are only so many permutations of email that could have been the right thing. First name, last initial, first initial, last name, both together, both together with a period in the middle... only so many variables.

Also, LMAO, Colton literally forgot to fill out the To: field. C'mon, my dude, how? That's auto....
Wait. Hold up. The email chain name is "Re: Hi From Billet Labs (the CPU/GPU Water block people)". This is a reply. Regardless of using Reply, or Reply all, the To: filed on that type of email should be autopopulated. How the hell can you end up with no To:? I don't typically wear tinfoil hats, but something there is SUS.

Wild how much that block cost. gawdaymn. 

I really want to like this apology… but I can’t.

Terren & Yvonne we’re good, authentic and clearly want to fix things.

including the other department heads was a waste of time. Their attempted jokes when the community is clearly upset was AGAIN reading the room poorly.

Nick Light should be nowhere near final review of videos or the write up of new policies related to them. He has failed in that regard. As COO he didn’t even sound apologetic rather plug LTT stuff. Let him continue selling screwdrivers… 

I like Luke, I feel he has done made a good effort to keep Linus on track a lot of the time. The worst of Linus comes out during WAN and while Luke tries to help, clearly Linus doesn’t want his help and it showed with his first remarks when it cuts to him for the first time.

I love that they are taking a break to try sort out issues, however I wish Linus took a break, even a couple days. Let Terren and the department work on their roadmaps, how these issues will be fixed while Linus can get over the raw emotion he is currently facing, and I don’t think that it’s going to be any better after todays news. Present them to him when he is back, get his buy in, but he shouldn’t be part of the initial discussions, as clearly he isn’t in the right headspace right now.  

2 minutes ago, William Payne said:

People are calling it greed. I’d call it the pressure of funding the machine. 

it's pretty annoying when they mention literally 'any' joke it must refer to the LTT brand [I mean like every 30s in the video] . Imagine watching a youtube video on about like memes and they have to refer to their brand every 15 seconds it is a 25 minute long video

Just now, ddpp said:

All of it. Lol you can’t be serious. He highlight a TINY random fraction of it. 

Ok I'll rephrase. Steve cherry-picked some of the main ones and also twisted some to make them out to be more serious than they were to piss everyone off. 

Better? 

For my part, this video is all I wanted (for now).

You recognized the problems, brought out individuals responsible for the various operations within the company, explained how you were going to improve processes going forward, and made a real promise to improve. At this stage, that's all anyone can reasonably ask for.

But there needs to be real improvement in the long term. I have faith that it'll get done.

I'll add that including the standard LTT jokes was a bit of a questionable decision, but I think that's already pretty clear from other feedback.

1 minute ago, Kazlehoff said:

I literally just came back to this page after having seen the Reddit post that has the old video. Coltons work email also got outed, as well. TBH, though, the idea of (name) @ (company name) .com was not a difficult concept to work out. There are only so many permutations of email that could have been the right thing. First name, last initial, first initial, last name, both together, both together with a period in the middle... only so many variables.

Also, LMAO, Colton literally forgot to fill out the To: field. C'mon, my dude, how? That's auto....
Wait. Hold up. The email chain name is "Re: Hi From Billet Labs (the CPU/GPU Water block people)". This is a reply. Regardless of using Reply, or Reply all, the To: filed on that type of email should be autopopulated. How the hell can you end up with no To:? I don't typically wear tinfoil hats, but something there is SUS.

Wild how much that block cost. gawdaymn. 

He said he replied to procurement, so my guess is procurement's email was dealing with it, and forwarded it to Colton to escalate and Colton replied to it directly and didn't realise it went to procurement instead of BL

Ok I'll rephrase. Steve cherry-picked some of the main ones and also twisted some to make them out to be more serious than they were to piss everyone off. 

Better? 

he basically seems them as competition anyway due to testing thing so would explain it 

1 minute ago, Johhhnyshinsss said:

it's pretty annoying when they mention literally 'any' joke it must refer to the LTT brand [I mean like every 30s in the video] . Imagine watching a youtube video on about like memes and they have to refer to their brand every 15 seconds it is a 25 minute long video

As I said the pressure to fund the machine. Linus went full big media corporation. Many YouTubers are just a few guys even the big ones. 

Better? 

Not better. Not cherry picked. There are inaccuracies and shitty behavior in every LTT video. 

Better? 

🎶Moving Goalposts🎶

Just now, Woddell said:

He said he replied to procurement, so my guess is procurement's email was dealing with it, and forwarded it to Colton to escalate and Colton replied to it directly and didn't realise it went to procurement instead of BL

But if that was the case, procurement would have been in the To: field. They're not, they're already present in the CC field.
The email info in question (no leaks here)
image.png.82c267f17f7b9217cc8a44a9c928f328.png

Not saying malice occurred here, just something is odd about this.

9 minutes ago, SuperGnu said:

Stole? Not on purpose but in reality they did. Their insanely bad handling of inventory made this happen.
If you borrow your dad's car you can not sell it willy nilly.
So if someone borrows you their car/book/whatever you just asume it is yours? "Keep it for as long as you need to" is not the same as "It is yours now".

Which is, again, why I asked you to provide any evidence whatsoever that—at the time the original agreement was made—there was a stated intention that the prototype be returned at some point. I can't sell you a car and then claim you stole it because you didn't return it quickly enough upon request, even if you did actually agree later on to return it to me. The email shows Billet Labs' accounting of events to be disengenous. Their public announcement on reddit conveniently omitted the fact that they had originally agreed to let LMG keep the prototype, and offered absolutely no information as to how recently they changed their mind. Do you think they left that out because it wasn't relevant, or because it hurt their narrative? Did Steve from GamersNexus even know about that prior agreement? We have no way of knowing, as he demonstrated a total unwillingness to perform basic journalistic due diligence. I don't know if he even saw screenshots of the emails, as this detail is critical to the entire controversy and he made no mention of it. You've not been able to show anything because there is nothing currently available which establishes what you want and believe to be true. I get that you've made your mind up about this, but your argument relies on critical assumptions which are not supported by the available information. 

Linus said he contacted BillyLabs 10. august. BillyLabs said he didn't. Who is lying?

What the hell did I miss? I literally was watching LTT last night and now I wake up and then this happened!

people are getting stuck up their own ass. It's not like Linus is like Elon Musk or Donald trump 🙄

3 minutes ago, Kazlehoff said:

🎶Moving Goalposts🎶

Not really. Just getting pissed off at all the pitchforks pointed at LTT while pretending GN were acting in good faith. 

2 minutes ago, Kazlehoff said:

But if that was the case, procurement would have been in the To: field. They're not, they're already present in the CC field.
The email info in question (no leaks here)
image.png.82c267f17f7b9217cc8a44a9c928f328.png

Not saying malice occurred here, just something is odd about this.

It is pretty common for me to hit Reply All to an email like this and then drag the original sender (LMG Procurement in this case) from the to: to the cc: line before filling in the main recipient. I could see myself forgetting to fill in the to: field if I was in a rush or got distracted while populating the address fields. 

1 minute ago, Jack H. said:

What the hell did I miss? I literally was watching LTT last night and now I wake up and then this happened!

basically linus shitted on a small company and called their product bad after improper testing, then proceeded to sell the product accidentally at ltx where a competitor could have bought it as it was a prototype. Then doubled down on calling it a bad product and claiming it was "Auctioned for charity" instead of sold.

I’ve been quietly reading and listening to the events of this past week, and because of how LTT has affected my life I wanted to leave a quick note.

I have been lurking around LTT content for over 10 years now (and a forum member for nearly as long). I found Linus when I was building my very first PC in high school, using funds from my first summer job.

I have followed the early exploits like HighLANder, whole-room watercooling, Vessel - it’s implosion and the Phoenix of Floatplane rising from the ashes, LTT’s merchandise efforts and now labs.

This incident was unfortunate and I don’t think Linus or the team are suddenly mustache-twirling evil, but this has crossed the rubicon in that I’m now painfully aware that I’m not watching a couple of Canadian tech nerds building a mineral oil PC in a kitchen.

This is a large organization, with the problems and caveats that comes with. It behooves us as viewers to reevaluate our parasocial relationship with what is not a person, but a business.

I am glad the team seems to be taking the recent criticisms seriously after initial missteps. But this is going to forever change how I view content from the LMG team.

It’s corny, but I as I said - I grew up with Linus and the team, their infectious love of tech resulted in my path through college and now my work at $BigTechCompany, and I know I’m not alone.

I hope they can reconnect to and recognize the trust and the value people had there. But it may be irreplaceable.

I guess we will see what the future holds.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

2 minutes ago, Woddell said:

Not really. Just getting pissed off at all the pitchforks pointed at LTT while pretending GN were acting in good faith. 

no this was outright 100% poking the bear. Someone at lmg claimed their testing was better than gamers nexus and gn decided, game on full send.  

Just now, William Payne said:

no this was outright 100% poking the bear. Someone at lmg claimed their testing was better than gamers nexus and gn decided, game on full send.  

Finally someone else gets it.

I’m just testing to see if “Madison” will make this post automatically deleted

Just now, Woddell said:

Finally someone else gets it.

for me it was obvious the moment I watched the original Gamers Nexus video.