What do we do now?

LinusTech

Man do they have a lot of work cut out for them.

I kinda feel bad for Yvonne as she was saying this for such a long time, years,.. But they just stuck to it. And even X months ago when their tight schedule was brought to light it was kind of brushed aside, at least that's how the community saw it.

I'm hopeful things can work out in the long term. They are capable and talented.

Also, those sexist losers need to be thrown out, whoever it is.

>> Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! <<

Always happy to help!! 🤠

13 minutes ago, Woofer21 said:

This is because those two products represent him and they make him money, the billet labs product does not represent him or make him money so he did not spend more time on it. 

I see your point, but I disagree with your take. LTT is a media outlet, it is their job to do proper work on the products they show in their video.

1. For the fact that whether they are a large company or a start-up people have worked hard on it, and an improper job is fundamentally an insult.
  2. Cause if they are testing boutique coolers on the wrong GPU, why should we trust them with any other benchmark or review they do. By failing to do a proper job, they lose trust in their process.

13 minutes ago, Woofer21 said:

Going to have to disagree here, Linus has always made his investment clear and he still gives good reviews to other laptops, i don't think he is biased towards framework and im sure if they messed up he would say something. 

Perfectly fair, I don't like the conflict of interest but I totally get that others draw the line in the sand otherwise.

in my personal opinion I have seen the errors in the data from the labs and in the scripts but for me I'm not bothered I'm not saying I think that everyone should chill out because this isn't right and shouldn't happen. from seeing the video I'm hopeful that LMG can take a step back and become more aware of the errors and making sure that they have created the best that they can and not the most that they can. Terren is a amazing CEO and I think that he is doing something with the company this video as proof and even with the late discovery and resolution to the problem Terren is going to be the backbone of LMG and stop the company from falling over. I have said this multiple times in various places but please continue the perfect pc, if Linus is allowed to host that I hope he is as I have watched him drop almost everything. Thanks for the apology and plan to improve I hope to see a new video that is the best quality that LMG can come up with.

11 hours ago, Godiwa said:

it would take like 5-10 seconds to go in and manually turn it off for this video... non-excuse

I'm just applying Hanlon's razor. Not trying to excuse anything. 

1 minute ago, fartmuncher69_420 said:

I'm just applying Hanlon's razor. Not trying to excuse anything. 

well they did end up turning off monetarization for it 😉

8 hours ago, m4rkiz said:

actually he did, on wan show, claiming that a proper test on a card that it was designed for would cost him 100-200-500 bucks, and it would still be a bad product so there is no point

while i agree that this $800 block for 3090 makes no sense whatsoever, if he is willing to get the views for video, he should be ready to test it properly

i know that this isn't airport, but i just cancelled floatplane and unsubscribed from all channels - way too much drama is going on lately and it changed from entertaining tech channel to shit storm after shit storm and countless apologies

i don't give a flying fuck if andy fells like a girl, i don't want to hear madison sex drama from every angle, but it goes to my feed because i USED TO watch shitload of ltt videos and every wan show

no longer interested

over and out

I never said I believe everything Linus says and went "He will never lie or gaslight us again!"

Good on you though, this whole thing is insane and sometimes I need a break from the Internet in general.

never overclock your underwear

NOTE: recording date of this is unknown to me, this could be old footage...

But, if this is real and made after these few days of events: Making sex jokes in a meeting like this with the background it was held for, i suspect they knew by this time, is really inappropriate for someone with a leading roll in the company. 

The most stuff Linus talked about is just stuff that has to be mentioned in corporate style and you don't need or want to make more or less than it is. That its implemented, being enforced and regular checked on is way more important. As a manager you can set the work culture that people work and interact in.

The biggest mistake i hear is the fact that this person is not being corrected for inappropriate behaviour on the spot by Linus or any other person in the call (with a leading role). That is a thing that worries me more than the style he told it.

The whole "my husband did a bad naughty thing again" was a sound political PR move, and in fairness the man in question did seem genuinely upset as anyone would be at this point, even if the sentiment was a little late. The sad truth is that it is a wake-up call that was obviously needed. The problem is, it's seemingly still needed. Plugging a new screwdriver played off as a joke in the middle of an apology video is seriously tone-deaf. There are lite jokes in the middle of seriousness, and then there's inappropriate.

Otherwise, it was the video that should have been dropped in the first place instead on an emotional outburst post made just three hours after the original critical video.

8 minutes ago, jdh009 said:

But, if this is real and made after these few days of events: Making sex jokes in a meeting like this with the background it was held for, i suspect they knew by this time, is really inappropriate for someone with a leading roll in the company. 

The most stuff Linus talked about is just stuff that has to be mentioned in corporate style and you don't need or want to make more or less than it is. That its implemented, being enforced and regular checked on is way more important. As a manager you can set the work culture that people work and interact in.

The biggest mistake i hear is the fact that this person is not being corrected for inappropriate behaviour on the spot by Linus or any other person in the call (with a leading role). That is a thing that worries me more than the style he told it.

Thanks for sharing that.

That's pretty bad. I can kinda understand cracking a joke to release tension but it was the wrong one and someone should have called it out. Since it doesn't appear like that happened, hopefully, the person got taken aside and was spoken to about that.

Without it be totally clear, I believe that was James Streib? If it was, I hope that he makes an apology public and as a part of the week in reflection, he expresses how he intends to reform. Since he is management, he needs to do better to ensure LMG is healthy.

not trying to devalue what maddison has claimed, but this if true is a large problem in the sense of keeping quiet.

In this day and age if someone is a victim of abuse there is no reason to not go public right away. unless, as I Suspect the reality is, her claims are completely blown out of proportion. 

if the job was too hard, then you are not cut out for it.

going for personal harm is a major red flag that her mind set was never that of a sain an rational human, more so a child out of depth.

16 minutes ago, jdh009 said:

5 minutes ago, Naith123 said:

Thanks for sharing that.

That's pretty bad. I can kinda understand cracking a joke to release tension but it was the wrong one and someone should have called it out. Since it doesn't appear like that happened, hopefully, the person got taken aside and was spoken to about that.

Without it be totally clear, I believe that was James Streib? If it was, I hope that he makes an apology public and as a part of the week in reflection, he expresses how he intends to reform. Since he is management, he needs to do better to ensure LMG is healthy.

This is at least 5 months old, I have seen the video before but don't have the link to the older post on me right now. 

14 hours ago, LUCRETIA said:

LMG went from family business to a multi million corporation but kept the family business mentality. Linus fails to see that he is the villain, not the oppressed.

I stand with former female employees of LMG.

I stand with the accused until said female employees produce a single shred of evidence. I bet she will be doing a podcast tour soon about how difficult it was to post on Twitter and edit videos. I would have made fun of her too. 

40 minutes ago, jdh009 said:

Making sex jokes in a meeting like this with the background it was held for

Man, you're going to be shocked when / if you get involved with meetings, in general. It depends on the company and company culture / size. 

Edit: Holy fucking shit, that wasn't even a sex joke, that was the most timid joke I can imagine being said in a meeting. Your blessed virgin ears. 

Hi there, I’m new to this forum but been a viewer of LTT for many years now and I feel the need to say some things. 

To clarify ->

- I’m not a hardcore LTT cult member and I don’t wake up with meme pictures of Linus burned into my brain.
-  I read the complete Madison thread (her messages only)

How come A LOT OF people completely seem to forget about innocent until proven guilty when it comes to the allegations Madison made? I have read straight up personal attacks on Linus for something he at this point (for obvious legal reasons) can’t protect himself against. Imagine his children going to school and having to defend themselves for their father because some other children start a discussion about it, it’s incredibly sad but you know it’ll happen. Attacking Linus doenst just hurt him, it hurts everyone attached to LTT. It pains me to see some people just turn into complete senseless maniacs when they are given any reason to, those are the people who ‘have become the villain’, while trying to be the league of justice or some ****. 

As a lawyer I can speak from first hand experience that these kind of allegations aren’t always true. And in my opinion LTT is doing exactly what they should have done by hiring an independent company to do research into these complaints. And to be clear, I am not in any way saying Madison MUST be lying and is responsible for LTT being hurt right now. I am only saying that concluding ANYTHING from Madison her thread is by law (and least here in Europe) nothing but injustice, until proven to be actually (even partly) true. 

Have we all forgotten about the hundreds, maybe thousands, of LTT content and (alleged to be) waterproof shoes ads?? Doesn’t all the entertainment LTT brought to all of us nerds deserve some empathy compassion and to the love of god a week of patience without being literally cyber bullied?

And about all the mistakes in the videos ->

Let’s not make it more complicated than it is lol. the company grew too much and that caused issues. I’m sure they would’ve been fixed gradually overtime when workflows are optimized and weak links (not talking about people LOL) in the workflows are found and fixed. 

If Linus only cared about money why did he not sell the company for 100 mil and retire to then spend all that money buying tennis (I know it’s not called that) rackets?

I believe even the most unreasonable people understand that for that reason alone a company with over 120 employees, over 120 families connected to it, doenst need to be vaporized into thin air. 

LTT is doing an emergency stop right now trying to fix all issues, what else do you want them to do? LTT hasn’t committed mass murder, they only committed mass drops of expensive stuff. THAT is the only crime Linus is actually (at the time of this message) guilty of.

ps. English is not my native language so please excuse me for wordy sentences filled with possibly non existing words.

10 hours ago, Philfreeze said:

If you think that is bad you need to go look at the changes for USB-C over the time, its absolutely insane how badly the specified the protocol and timings, a lot of things were literally just up to interpretation. This is the reason why some old laptops with USB-C really struggle with more modern USB-C equipment, they just happened to interpret it 'wrong'.

woke up(had a odd this need to get done now i.t job).

anyway looking at it.. ok like wow. that shocking also.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

On 8/17/2023 at 2:19 AM, ArcticWarfare said:

not trying to devalue what maddison has claimed, but this if true is a large problem in the sense of keeping quiet.

In this day and age if someone is a victim of abuse there is no reason to not go public right away. unless, as I Suspect the reality is, her claims are completely blown out of proportion. 

if the job was too hard, then you are not cut out for it.

going for personal harm is a major red flag that her mind set was never that of a sain an rational human, more so a child out of depth.

Just cause its more common these days to come forward it does not mean its any easier or without risk. As we all have seen, including you, the shit she has had thrown on her for speaking out. The risk personally and professionally is still enormous! It has just been horrible to read.

I do hope you reflect and try to think if you were in that position and be honest with yourself.

I dont watch alot of LTT these days (mostly because of other priorities), but I do listen to WAN and I did watch this video.

I will say that as a People Leader/Manager myself, it is good that Linus and team are owning up to their mistakes (and also having someone that has corporate experience leading (did not realize how big LMG is these days) will put them in a better place).

People both casual and professional watch yalls videos. I remember learning how to build a PC 7 years ago on here when I was in high school. Then in college I had professors showing TechQuickie in class. To ensure everything is 100% accurate, is a task (especially with technology changing) but it needs to be atleast mostly there so that newbies have a reference of what is happening.

As for the water block getting out, that was a failure that could of been prevented if a vacation response and/or mail forwarding or the like was in place. A idea is to even have a ticketing system in place with vendors/partners that if they email a shared inbox it can assign it to a ticket queue, so that logistics/writing can look into it and be able to assist if that writer is out of office (or ensure proper permission for pre-release product is obtained before auctioning off).

At the end of the day, it seems like yall will get everything ironed out and will learn from this. I do wish yall the best on this. The community will appreciate this in the future (some might be mad video output is down, but this break is necessary).

Also P.S: @nicklmg I am waiting for more screwdriver colors to be in stock. 👀

Personal Rig:

CPU: i7-11700K  | Mobo: MSI Z490-A PRO | RAM: 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB = 16 GB  | GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Strix (I know I need to upgrade) | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Red 2 TB, and WD Red 4 TB | Case: Enermax Ostrog Black and White | PSU: EVGA 750GT 80+G | Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S in Push/Pull with Black Noctua Industrial Fans, 2 120mm Noctua Chromax Fans, and Corsair AF120 on the side panel | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 32" Samsung (of somesorts) 1920 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Mouse: Logitech M705 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Random: 90mm of CableMod RGB Magnetic Strips | OS: Win 11 Education x64 

32" Samsung CF397 1920 x 1080

Linux/test Box:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  | Mobo: ASRock AB350M mATX | RAM: 2x Crucial 8 GB DDR4 = 16 GB | GPU: Asus GT 1030 | Storage: Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB, Samsung 970 Evo 256GB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives  | Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX | PSU: EVGA 400W | Cooling: Stock Cooler and 3x Cooler Master 120mm Fans | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 34" LG 43WL500-B 2560 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Keyboard: Logitech K270 | Mouse: Logitech M185  | OS: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Windows 10 Pro x64

13" Macbook Air M1:

CPU: Apple M1 8-Core and 7-Core "GPU"  | RAM: 8 GB DDR4  | Storage: 256 GB | Display: 2560 x1600 Retina Display | Mouse: Built-in trackpad and Logitech M557 | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: MacOS Monterey

Laptop (Acer Pedator Helios 300 2017 edition) (Don't use as much anymore since graduating college and mostly using my Macbook and HP Elitebook for Work):

CPU: i7-7700HQ  | RAM: 16 GB DDR4  | GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB | Storage: Samsung 980 500 GB SSD and Seagate 1 TB Firecuda | Display: Acer IPS 15.6" 1920 x 1080 Display | Mouse: Logitech M557 and built-in trackpad (never use lol) | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: Windows 11 Pro x64

Home Theater Setup

Computer: M1 Mac Mini w/8GB RAM and 256 of Storage (plus a external 500GB Samsung T7 for Plex) | TV:LG 4K - 55" UQ9000 LED | Speakers: Sonos Ray and 2 Sonos One SLs for Rear Surround | Media Box: Apple TV 4K | Consoles: Xbox Series S and Nintendo Switch | Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech K400 | HDHomerun Flex 4K and HDHomerun Flex Duo

Other Devices I use:

Phone: iPhone 13 Mini 128GB  | Tablet: iPad Mini 5 64GB LTE | Earbuds: Airpods 3 | Watch: Apple Watch SE 44mm

Removed now I’m just letting my emotions get in the way like Linus. Lmfao

Edited by Kees1234

14 minutes ago, Kees1234 said:

How come A LOT OF people completely seem to forget about innocent until proven guilty when it comes to the allegations Madison made? I have read straight up personal attacks on Linus for something he at this point (for obvious legal reasons) can’t protect himself against. Imagine his children going to school and having to defend themselves for their father because some other children start a discussion about it, it’s incredibly sad but you know it’ll happen. Attacking Linus doenst just hurt him, it hurts everyone attached to LTT. It pains me to see some people just turn into complete senseless maniacs when they are given any reason to, those are the people who ‘have become the villain’, while trying to be the league of justice or some ****. 

As a lawyer I can speak from first hand experience that these kind of allegations aren’t always true. And in my opinion LTT is doing exactly what they should have done by hiring an independent company to do research into these complaints. And to be clear, I am not in any way saying Madison MUST be lying and is responsible for LTT being hurt right now. I am only saying that concluding ANYTHING from Madison her thread is by law (and least here in Europe) nothing but injustice, until proven to be actually (even partly) true. 

Agree that the accused is innocent until proven guilty. And yes, this can be said without victim blaming or not taking her story seriously, dismissing it, or when you are supporting her. Trial by media or being deleted (and forcing/bullying others to do the same if they do something else) seems to be becoming more and more of a thing. The only thing i can say for sure is that Terren Tong made a very good decision with his statement where he said LMG is hiring an outside investigator to look into this deeper and (hopefully, objectively).

Why do these big YouTubers keep on getting involved in a harassment scandal and then their channels die out?

This is a huge leap from what the stance on the matter seemed to be yesterday.

I expected a proper way to deal with the situation and I got one. To me Linus initial response is what disappointed me the most. I want accurate videos but to a certain degree I can understand that wanting to publish on the established schedule is of huge importance, and sometimes compromises are made. Furthermore would I never really judge anyone harshly for making a mistake and owning up to it.

But Linus' initial response seemed like a somewhat rushed immediate response that wasn't phrased all that well, only glancing over some of what was brought up and sometimes getting caught up with minuscule details while missing the essential parts. (Like the cooling block being auctioned for charity rather than sold didn't make all that big of a difference in the given context, even though one is very obviously more fiendish than the other)

Linus himself holds other big corporations responsible to high standards, and that's what people should rightfully do to LMG just as much. This is how the corporations are forced to consistently strive to do the very best they can, which is essential for a healthy competitive business. Especially with many of LMGs employees pointing out that they would like to get things done properly and feel like the current output schedule is leading to a situation where it's hard to ensure the quality of the videos is up to the standard they would like to meet.

The reason why I think it was important that this situation blew up like it did, is that many time Linus and Luke have discussed on the WAN show, that they frequently read blatantly dumb takes from maybe not as well informed comment-writers that they just ignore or block these days. And I think that's a fair decision, because with an audience this big, there will obviously be many cases of people who aren't exactly going to be ready to actually discuss on a reasonable level if their comments take is challenged. It would essentially just be a huge waste of time to try to engage with someone who is most likely not going to really take in anything you could respond to them reasonably. The problem however with this mindset is, that essentially no one can know for a fact where you draw the line with it. No one will ever communicate perfectly and therefore someone who is trying to bring up a good point could get caught in your "blatantly-dumb"-filter if you're not careful with how you apply it to what you're reading. Legit concern about the degrading quality of the videos when it comes to accuracy was brought up in the past, with Linus' response being roughly "Huh? What do you mean, have you seen the content? It's so much better than in the past" [exact citation needed]. Having this type of criticism disregarded despite having a good point is really disappointing if you're the one bringing it up or if your a third person whose observation lines up with it.

I'm definitely in favor of a transparent editorial asterisk over just keeping completely quiet, but better yet would be if these mistakes are either caught early enough to be completely fixed in the final cut or if there's at least a consistent effort to revises erroneous content with the in-place replacement feature on YouTube, which in my opinion sounds like a pretty good option if postponing the video is not an option. I haven't been in a big video production before, but in the end I'd say if there are multiple mistakes in a video or if there's a single large mistake, that should probably be enough to want to correct it before the initial upload though. If found later on, similar measures could be taken. I know this would mean a lot of extra effort, but ultimately I think it would be worth if it contributes to making the videos more accurate over what will be many more years to come.

Either way I'm looking forwards. I'd like to stress that at no point I meant to seem hostile toward anyone. I enjoy the videos on many of the LMG channels. I enjoy the WAN show regularly. I like Linus and Luke (and like honestly all the other people featured in the videos) and most of the times they seem very down to earth and in line with what I would expect to be the opinion of the community. But I think this time there was legit concern worth talking about that appeared to be largely disregarded, which therefore justifies some follow-up remarks from the community. Glad to see we got a proper response in the end, we, the community, will continue to watch closely and let you know if anything is going against what we think is right.

Thank you.

21 minutes ago, Kees1234 said:

How come A LOT OF people completely seem to forget about innocent until proven guilty

Culture war post 2014 has basically erased this. Which is unfortunate. 

The one that really gets me is the Billet Labs prototype... You had the audacity to auction off a one off part after they were kind and trusting enough to send it to you.. Like in what world or reality do you think that was a viable option??  The communication... lol you cant even work out how to send an email?? lol

This isnt going to ruin you guys but im hoping this bloody lip will wake your ass up.

5 minutes ago, teewb said:

Just cause its more common these days to come forward it does not mean its any easier or without risk. As we all have seen, including you, the shit she has had thrown on her for speaking out. The risk personally and professionally is still enormous! It's just been horrible to read.

I do hope you reflect and try to think if you were in that position and be honest with yourself.

She had all the time in the world to say something. if she wanted to work in the industry, was she thinking that every other media group had the same ethics and she should just be quiet?

she is out for blood, be it a legit cause or a Hypethetical Over the top false accusation. 

and if it was me in that situation I would have gone internally first, and if it never corrected the issue I would have gone public straight away. if it was true, not just sit on It for years. because that doesn't help others in the same situation, Infact it does the opposite.

8 minutes ago, BradTheRad said:

Why do these big YouTubers keep on getting involved in a harassment scandal and then their channels die out?

Because they become arrogant and self important.