Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

Just now, Poagie said:

your employees

That's not @LinusTech

that's @Josysclei

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 minute ago, dustypaws said:

Some are.... but I'd have guessed that there are more diehard fanboys here... I'm surprised...

I absolutely view myself as a fan of Linus. I like the guy and his videos and LTT content without him is something I actually like less because of his absence.

Nontheless I have commented "negatively" here, because I believe his "statement" to be less than an ideal reaction and the fact that it is burried in a post at LTT forums is also kind of questionable. Also I consider GN to be a reputable source for what they do, so a video like this should be a wake-up call.

3 minutes ago, Godiwa said:

I people DDoS because of that video that is just pathetic... lets hope it is just a LOT of interest going on... but yeah frustrating being unable to get in etc.

They have started over less and definately won't shy away from beeing over something reasonably petty.

DDoS is always problematic in my mind. A lot of the times there is also collateral.
Pretty sure the LTT forum sits on a box somewhere within LMG, so it's isolated in a way.
But I remember a while ago people have a problem with some big name fast food place and decided their website had to go down over something burger related.
For a long time too.
Obviously that website existed on a shared hosting platform, so several entirely unrelated companies also got hit by this.
Companies that unlike this fast food place, needed their website to make money.

1 minute ago, VeryScary said:

"Linus Evil"

I don't think most of us find him evil. Just steered in the wrong direction

Current parts list

3 minutes ago, JiRoDev said:

Not quite, Metal is a graphics API used for rendering, so the result that matters is rendering performance, not how it did it, Apple's hardware work best with Apple's software, in this case Metal, so why discredit the FPS you get from a Metal app and credit something unsupported like Vulkan or OpenGL, windows uses DX12 as its best API so why not compare its performance with Apple's performance using its own best API which is Metal.

Because unless if the application strives to achieve the same output fidelity for the same scene the comparison is quite meaningless, and there's no real way to verify that. Metal benchmarks would only be useful to compare between multiple Apple devices.

3 minutes ago, filpo said:

Thankfully I'm not seeing many rn

Because almost everyone is just kind of fed up with the repeated negative folks who come on here and seem to have nothing better to do than bash something? I wouldn't bother responding either if I wasn't stuck at home with a cast on my foot, got better things to do normally.

2 minutes ago, dragonuck76 said:

Watch the GN video, now, and it is all done with ill intent, and not for informing us of the poor content from LTT.  Yes he states this was done to help LTT mend there ways, but that could have been done in a 5min video.  But its a 44min video ripping into LTT and Linus directly...  LTT on many WAN shows and other videos posted has stated they have made mistakes and things need to change.  But I will go back to what I have said time and time again, I dont just use LTT to purchase something, I watch a great range of content on what ever it is I intend to buy, and even google for reviews and other content that does not use youtube to discuss, while reading the manufactures site, and look for good deals.   Does LTT need to fix things yes, and I trust they will,, just as many other youtubers have said... but GN approach was over board and to be honest was just used to cover their own attack, and the threat that will come when LTT finally have the LAB up and running, and getting the right process and writers to do the job right

GuerillaNexus have no basic investigative journalism ethics. He preaches ethics yet doesn't follow the same advice. It is all about sensationalism with bad faith for clicks.

LTT at least mock other youtubers in jesty ways. GuerillaNexus is just spiteful to appeal to his followers, shall we say, less independent followers. 

The overall response here and certainly on Reddit is a bit weird.

• LMG certainly has some things to work on and improve
  • You can still enjoy LTT videos 
  • If you don't trust Linus, you don't need to watch his videos
  • Linus is not the devil
  • People saying as much aren't Stanning Linus

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

14 minutes ago, perryckd said:

I just signed up to tell LMG and the whole angry internet that GN Steve is no stranger to guerilla journalism. That is to sudden strike a big boy for maximum exposure to their advantage of gaining views and subs.

Want a latest example? Check their video coverage on Asus AM5 boards and vsoc settings. GN Steve went a full video and more guerilla about Asus not correcting the vsoc values. When IN FACT, GuerillaN Steve team measured the incorrect voltage points for vsoc. His videos are invalidated and he chose to sweep the story under the rug after maximised his subs and views. 

The whole AM5 vsoc was done in bad faith by GuerillaN, they themselves admitted they needed to get the story out fast. They did little to verify and 'stole' the damaged CPU to send it to some analysis lab that came back with no conclusive results. It would be better if Amd and Asus got hold of the CPU and do failure analysis. But Guerilla Steve wanted his clickbaits, was it a surprised they also advertised their t-shirt and new channel during this saga?

Take a look at Asus low key clarification that Guerilla Steve chose to ignore. 

https://www.overclock.net/threads/asus-rog-crosshair-x670e-overclocking-discussion-thread.1799959/post-29193099

You are so wrong. Did we even watch the same video detailing the issues with LTT?

Let me state this plainly. Steve from GN has so much more to lose from taking on the defining face of the tech review industry not just in terms of potential industry networking opportunities, but having access to resources, content, and contacts within the industry to aid them when they run into issues. Thats not even going into how GN is potentially burning the largest bridge for collaboration, and cross promotion between the two channels.

You have no idea what you are even talking about when it comes to working within an industry.

8 minutes ago, VeryScary said:

First few were about buying laptops from shady asian websites, not an actual laptop review. 

The last one is a sponsored review and guess what happened? Linus mentioned framework and conflict in the first few seconds. 

maybe you should watch them if you say they weren't a review 

problem with conflict of interest isn't just that you need to disclose it, it's also how you should do it, Linus doesn't make it obvious and if you aren't regular consumer of LTT, it's not hard to miss it

I will be disappointed with multiple parties & people at once:

• The veiled references to other hardware testers' methodologies or inaccuracy (presumably GN) made by LTT Labs staff and during WAN show
  • Apparent lack of accuracy of various Labs testing and non-labs statements
  • The rush (and presumed crunch) for LTT to be a content creation machine - Whether the ends justify the greater financial & greater means is a different matter
  • GN allegedly not contacting LTT regarding accuracy or ethical concerns
  • GN allegedly not asking LTT for comment

I'm not going to claim that I have solutions to any of this. I will just be more jaded about tech YouTube channels acting like competing businesses more than they used to.

As much as i really love LTT and that i thank Linus for teaching me how to properly build a pc, we can't ignore the fact that thanks to the quantity they are outputting they really laxxed on quality! also many mistakes and many actions really reek of poor competence and even less accountabilty at this point! GN did a perfectly good job investigating this kind of mistakes, actions and behaviours that are being made constantly over and over! The fact that they are trying to come ahead of this blaming Steve for the job he did "without calling them" shows how they know that they have issues but still don't want to own up to those same mistakes and bad behaviours! keeping vids up with blatant mistakes and fake infos is just disingenous at best and it really hurts to see! whoever is defending LTT at this point is just a brainless fanboy! this was a much needed wakeup call for the whole LTT group! i agree that rome wasn't built in one day, but the fact that there are still monuments to it shows how well the foundation of the city was! get better and just own up to the mistakes and your bad actions!

Just now, NobleGamer said:

I will be disappointed with multiple parties & people at once:

• The veiled references to other hardware testers' methodologies or inaccuracy (presumably GN) made by LTT Labs staff and during WAN show
  • Apparent lack of accuracy of various Labs testing and non-labs statements
  • The rush (and presumed crunch) for LTT to be a content creation machine - Whether the ends justify the greater financial & greater means is a different matter
  • GN allegedly not contacting LTT regarding accuracy or ethical concerns
  • GN allegedly not asking LTT for comment

I'm not going to claim that I have solutions to any of this. I will just be more jaded about tech YouTube channels acting like competing businesses more than they used to.

if you think about it properly there is a reason GN didn't contact LTT... 

7 minutes ago, VeryScary said:

Lol you have a problem with reading comprehension. That's not at all what I said. Now I see why you think "Linus Evil"

"Hasn't he stopped reviewing laptops since then? When was the last time Linus himself did a laptop review?" 

you didn't know Linus made these videos just short time ago, now you claim you know them perfectly, which one is it? 

I mean, you can see your own comment history, so maybe read it

Just now, throwawayManMode said:

Linus said nothing about the conflict of interest they have with Asus, Noctua, and the frame laptops...

Because he doesn't care about those. Or he was just being a bit obnoxious and didn't watch the GN vid (fully)

Current parts list

5 hours ago, LickyLickyBumBum said:

MF thinks this is Godfather, get your goofy "You come to me on the day of my daughter's wedding and ask me for a favor" ahh out of here.

Go seek your beloved echo chamber elsewhere, like on Reddit, where everyone fellates each other and disagreement is sacrilegious.

Says the dude who made an account here just to flame the people running it…echo Chamber is you fake fans coming out with pitchforks acting holier than thou. IT MAKES ME SICK . Talk about bandwagon and echo chamber…take a look in the mirror.

• CPU 12900k   Motherboard Asus z690 prime RAM 32gb gskill 3200 trident z GPU Msi suprim RTX3080 wekwb block Case 011 dynamic PSU Evga gq  850w 1tb NVME m.2 boot drive

2 minutes ago, ChrisVyse said:

if you think about it properly there is a reason GN didn't contact LTT... 

Care to tell us, or do you want to keep your secrets?

1 minute ago, VeryScary said:

1st video literally mentions framework, not being a conflict, and the reason why it isn't a conflict less then 30s in. 

Didn't even bother to watch the rest. If you're not going to watch the videos you post to prove your point then why would I. 

That's not how this works, and Linus agrees with that. I'm behind on WAN Shows, and I was listening to this one recently.

The discussion was about the excessive cheating in Tarkov. At a certain point Linus and Luke talk about the response of notable streamers and the likes, how even if they are not paid, even if there is no formal or informal deal to support the company, they can be, even unconsciously, more positive towards the company. They talked about how these people get like support from the company through ingame money and the likes (usually argued to help them make more content), but also because their viewership is based on the success of the company. They spoke about Ninja on how important the success of Fortnite etc.

The same can be argued here. Not only has Linus invested in the company, he has ties to the company, he loves their products etc, so he is much more inclined to be more negative towards other laptops.

Now I'm not saying that this should be purely seen as negative. Linus himself is a huge advocate (his words) for keeping products around longer, repairability, reducing e-waste etc. We know this about him, and you know that when you watch a video of him, that he will judge a product on these points.

Still there is a difference between a general liking to products that reduce e-waste, and having skin in the game.

Do I have an issue with Linus' investment? No. I wouldn't say I was for him investing in it, but he is literally putting his money where his mouth is, and I support what Framework is doing. But let's not pretend it has zero impact. The question everyone has to ask, is whether you care about the impact, and if you are for or against it. 

26 minutes ago, Jignesh Chauhan said:

Personal request @LinusTech, scrap time sheets for employees it is very old school and BIG brother style of working. 

Trust your team a bit more. 

Nope, time sheets are what keeps employers from getting free overtime out of their staff. Time sheets keep BOTH employer and employee honest, and thats the way it should be. 

Intel Core i7 13700k  // 32GB Corsair Vengeance 5600mhz

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming 24G // ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E Gaming WIFI

Samsung 980 Pro NVME 2TB // Seasonic Prime 1300W Gold

Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh White 

29 minutes ago, VeryScary said:

1st video literally mentions framework, not being a conflict, and the reason why it isn't a conflict less then 30s in. 

Didn't even bother to watch the rest. If you're not going to watch the videos you post to prove your point then why would I. 

What a weak ass argument. I literally proved you wrong with those videos and you react by burying your head in the sand. It's akin to a kid covering his ears and shouting that you can't hear anything. What a sore loser.

He didn't even declare he was a framework investor in this video when bashing Apple. Are you gonna argue that Macbook is not a laptop?

Just now, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

Because unless if the application strives to achieve the same output fidelity for the same scene the comparison is quite meaningless, and there's no real way to verify that. Metal benchmarks would only be useful to compare between multiple Apple devices.

Naturally games ported to Mac are no different than windows games, this is not the same as windows vs consoles where the output is adjusted, Mac ports are essentially a Metal implementation with no visual changes, making the fairest comparison the one with Metal on Mac and DX12 on windows. Under no circumstances using a deprecated/not supported API on Mac to compare with windows best API is fair. Even if the output is adjusted on Mac, it's not fair to use OpenGL and Vulkan.

7 minutes ago, perryckd said:

GuerillaNexus have no basic investigative journalism ethics. He preaches ethics yet doesn't follow the same advice. It is all about sensationalism with bad faith for clicks.

LTT at least mock other youtubers in jesty ways. GuerillaNexus is just spiteful to appeal to his followers, shall we say, less independent followers. 

I agree, the manner in which GN did this was very poor taste.  But LTT do need to fix things, but they have stated so