Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

9 minutes ago, aidenbliss789 said:

now we are here with EposVox saying on Twitter that he  isn't involved in this but he is IMO as he got himself involved with his comment under their newest video of the Fifine mic since the comment he made added enough to the whole debateimage.png

I don't think that a mere factual statement makes him a part of the drama that is mainly propagated by Linus himself. It simply is no proper way of using this sort of tool, which obviously is not clear to LTT yet.

Been lurking here since it all began, been watching Linus and GN for a long time. I won't take up much of your time as I know this is all just drama related. But why are people acting as if this whole 'they didn't contact us first' is some sort of smoking gun? This isn't some sort of hit piece, it's just exactly what LTT does with secret shopping. LTT stated themselves that they want to be held accountable. It doesn't matter if you contact them first (which allows them time to try and cover themselves up, like contacting Billet before a video goes up, etc). It's a polite courtesy but it isn't something required by some board of journalists. LTT needs to be held to a higher standard, not just under a blanket 'this is entertainment so it doesn't matter if we make mistakes' argument that's been passed around. If GN needed extra information, or fact checking, they would have contacted Linus.

Just now, atxcyclist said:

I don’t care, you don’t actually participate in this community but are here to stir shit up. You will be ignored like so many other chuds that have provided nothing, except purposefully fueling drama.

Good to have it in writing that you don't care about what is correct and you've just made everything up. Have a nice life in that echochamber!

Honestly, as long time viewer (closing on 10 years), I would say Linus's "response" is more damning to him personally and the company than all the issues Steve mentioned in his video combined. I would like him to have a serious and long talk with the new CEO and other higher ups before writing any posts, off the hip style like this. I guess I would also like to give him the same advice Noctua gave him: If you want a superb product, you don't require superb employees, but you are required to give them the time and the resources.

Look, either Linus is wrong and videos should be actually made on a schedule that allows them to be actually finished and high quality.

OR Linus is right and LMG grew so big that they can't afford to make high quality videos on youtube anymore, in which case they're too big to survive and they better start selling off building space and firing people!

1 minute ago, Cosmic Emotion said:

Why are so many people saying that Steve wants to push this beyond some point that they personally think it should have ended?

This is journalism. Steve just states the facts that have happened and are happening.

It's not Steve who is your enemy. It's Linus.

steve's next move will be to drop a diss track on linus

Situational Meme

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9501ba3d931ba25f63a6ccd367ac75ab.png

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 hour ago, ChrisVyse said:

you don't get it, do you? they'd probably make another blunder trying to butter up GN or try to hide the whole thing and made the whole thing worse... come on, use your tiny fanboy brain

I'm confused, who am I fanboying over?

1 minute ago, rcmaehl said:

image.thumb.png.9501ba3d931ba25f63a6ccd367ac75ab.png

Needed that 😂

☮️

I7-13700k |MSI Z790 Carbon |Gigabyte RX 6800 XT |32GB DDR5 6000 Crucial |1TB M.2 Crucial |Fractal North |Deepcool AK400 |Seasonic Prime GX 850w

Youtube Sub since Febuary 2017

i'm just say this what a massive douche Linus is, the way he treats work ethic, his employees, the companies that trust him, the public, the lies.

He become another asshole multimillionaire detached from reality, selfish prick

5 minutes ago, VisibleXela said:

I'm glad they posted the video and LMG should be criticized for all the wrongdoing, but let's not be naive. Gamers Nexus surely stands to benefit from this, even with monetization off. They're up 30k subscribers since this whole thing started. image.png.67368f1621374cd38eca62316752f123.png

This is what rubbed me about mentioning the demonetized part.

It was a known calculation that it would bump the view on other videos and that stating this would help his clicks on other things they have made.  

LMG has issues but this whole situation just stinks of people having a shit throwing fight and claiming that they smell like roses.

I'm just grabbing the popcorn cause this thread and watching peoples insane hateful meltdowns is better than the mouse review with films left on for sure!!!

So I too used to be one of these toxic people that would spend hours on here every single day arguing it out with people and defending points that weren't mine to defend. 

Some advice for you all: get on with your own lives.

Holding opinions is one thing, but coming to forums to argue them for or against other people and narcissistic pricks is just a total and utter waste of time which achieves nothing. 

But whilst I'm here, a $600 monoblock isn't an egregious waste of money, a $250 backpack which falls apart is 🙂 All subjective. Trust me bro. 

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

19 minutes ago, VisibleXela said:

I'm glad they posted the video and LMG should be criticized for all the wrongdoing, but let's not be naive. Gamers Nexus surely stands to benefit from this, even with monetization off. They're up 30k subscribers since this whole thing started. image.png.67368f1621374cd38eca62316752f123.png

*Gasp*

It's almost like you get rewarded for being upfront and honest when you report on something. And being punished for being a dishonest and lying about something.

You know how it works in the real world?

Never bothered to post to this forum for a few good reasons, but I am compelled to drop my 5 cents in here and even bothered to make an account just to do so.

As a long-time subscriber, I've seen LTT through highs and lows and enough LTT-related controversies to last me a lifetime (NCIX auction controversy, anyone?). Mostly, I remained supportive to the channel, to you as a person and as a leading figure in the tech community. However, this event was the final straw that broke the camels back and my conscience does not allow me to further support your channel(s) as a viewer.

To save everyone unneccesarily wasted time, I will not rechew many of the valid arguments made by others. I will however point out that this entire drama could've been prevented if you were- not only honest- but not take GN's video personal to the point you have to skew perceptions or flat-out lie to us in order to save your (company's) skin.

Lying about BL's compensation and your weak attempts to gaslight not only GN but a part of your community for 'raising pitchforks' shows your inability to take responsibility and further highlights the hypocrisy this company has dissolved to. Just a recent example; You pointed out that viewers using adblock are pirates in your eyes. Meanwhile you have no issue in covering products containing emulated/stolen content.

You stated several times in the past that you care deeply about the content your channel produces, yet fail to listen to your employees when they ask for more time between videos, leading to a huge part of today's fallout to start with.

Furthermore, your ego makes you unable to adapt to changing situations and has caused this particular issue to spiral out of your control. No WAN show, no re-review, no more lies can fix the damage you've caused your own company. I can't speak for others, but I sure have lost faith in your integrity as a figure head but as a person aswel and I am confident others have aswel. There is only one solution, and that is to come clean and not only publicly apologise to your own community for lying in this matter, but also to GN and to BL for trying to sweep this under the rug and deflect your own shortcomings upon them.

I hope you take this criticism at heart and learn from it.

Salutations de Belgique

9 minutes ago, lawney said:

Exactly. GN's follow-up basically proves Linus and anyone defending him wrong. If GN had informed Linus, it would have been journalistically irresponsible!

In this video steve says I don't have to reach out if I think they are in the wrong.  This just means he is reporting his feelings.  There could easily be an explanation for the "lies" that Steve is claiming. Its also possible Steve is right.  But without trying to confirm anything its hard to trust him.   I have been saying they both have a lot to learn from this and hopefully they will and they can improve. 

9 minutes ago, DJ3thenew23 said:

Good to have it in writing that you don't care about what is correct and you've just made everything up. Have a nice life in that echochamber!

I don't care about your excuses for strring-up drama, you are not here in good faith, you are just like the brigade of new posters and non-participants in this community that just want to sling mud.

'have it in writing', get over yourself, you'll log out and never post anything else after this drama has cooled-off. BFD what you 'have in writing'.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

6 minutes ago, JoshuaScholar said:

LMG are big boys now.  They are expected to be able to handle criticism. 

IMHO, they're also expected to have better quality in terms of informations & datas they presented. At least compared to small teams. They're like... what ? 100ish staffs now ? Some specially hired to deal with labs ?
Although at current rate we might get asterisk-ed correction every 2 seconds of a video instead. :x

I mean, I get that with bigger staff there's also bigger payroll that needs to be paid. But at what expense tho...

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 minute ago, Thepyrodex said:

LMG has issues but this whole situation just stinks of people having a shit throwing fight and claiming that they smell like roses.

Oh, no, that's wrong, LMG is absolutely in the wrong and they deserve to be dragged for this lmao

5 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

That is what the focus should be.

Whilst I agree that the focus should be on the side of, well, the core issue: quality & lack of checking/testing pipeline. The fact the focus is on Billet so much is that it shows a kind of "out of touch way", the whole video + WAN response. Where even Luke, to his credit, said "wouldn't it be better to test x, y and z in a proper way"?

What the Billet case tells us is
1. Input to Linus is very difficult, he ignores it, even from Luke. Saddens me.
2. Profit over quality. Whilst there's a balance to be struck, if you showcase a product, then either just don't do it, or do it properly. Don't treat a manufacturer like that. It treats the whole "review"-industry the wrong way.
3. The communication flow inside the company is bad. Billet wanted it back, Adam wanted more quality. Did Adam know it had to be sent back? How did it end up on an auction? And what it highlights most is that Linus's response to Steve is "you have my number, my e-mail, address it in private" clearly doesn't work it seems... No, because, Billet tried that. And still had their prototype on an auction.

I guess that's just why so much attention goes to Billet, because it highlights all the problems with LMG in one compact form.
Even to the "apology" (if I can even call it that, come on @LinusTech - do better than a rushed text like that) above here now. 

2 minutes ago, JoshuaScholar said:

Look, either Linus is wrong and videos should be actually made on a schedule that allows them to be actually finished and high quality.

OR Linus is right and LMG grew so big that they can't afford to make high quality videos on youtube anymore, in which case they're too big to survive and they better start selling off building space and firing people!

They could make good videos. Problem is? they would make less money.

Look, Linus is a clever guy. He knows how to make money, that is for sure. He knows how Youtube's algorithms work and he knows what brings in the coin. And he is basically just doing what it takes to make LOTS of money, but nothing else. So this is why I said, this IS business, and what Steve has done has been all business, too.

Good content costs money. Linus wants to do it on a shoe string, but make big potatoes. And he is, and will continue to.

It's like I said man, MacDonalds videos. Junk views.

How many special people change?
How many lives are livin' strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?

4 minutes ago, AlienALX said:

I watched Linus at the very beginning. I found his squeaky voice quite annoying, but I loved the hunger. And the enthusiasm and everything else.

The problem? somewhere along the line it became all about money. Like, 100%. Cynically so. "Buy a water bottle" "Buy a banana". I mean, the guy even jokes about how many sponsors there are and so on.

Now? it is the MacDonalds of channels. Junk views. No real substance, just empty calories.

Which too is why *I* don't understand why he did not just sell up. But, I guess he just can't let go of that control. Which is quite sad.

Have you ever run a large team 20+ or business which you grew from nothing?

Moving way is extremely difficult, especially when your name is part of the brand. 

His fear was a LMG losing its character, techradar, cnet, insert generic brand here...   Which is valid, he has 100+, who have a particular working culture, it was a valid concern.  What would he do with $100m, he has everything he wants.

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

Just now, VisibleXela said:

Oh, no, that's wrong, LMG is absolutely in the wrong and they deserve to be dragged for this lmao

They do,  but we do not know the extent of them.  GN claims a lot but did not do due diligence to find out what was true or not.  

3 minutes ago, harls said:

In this video steve says I don't have to reach out if I think they are in the wrong.  This just means he is reporting his feelings.  There could easily be an explanation for the "lies" that Steve is claiming. Its also possible Steve is right.  But without trying to confirm anything its hard to trust him.   I have been saying they both have a lot to learn from this and hopefully they will and they can improve. 

We have comments from Billet, Steve, and Linus all confirming the timeline. Billet sent the prototype in June, they asked for it back repeatedly, LMG auctioned it off in July, and then suddenly Linus offered to pay it back 2 hours after the GN video went live. No "trust" required.

really hope to see a video from louis rossman on all of this, especially with the new information about linus's initial response.