What would convince you to uninstall ad block?

What would convince you to uninstall ad block?   

112 members have voted

1. 1. What would convince you to uninstall ad block?

• I don't use ad block
    • If ads didn't make noise
    • If ads weren't blocking content
    • If there were no ads
    • Nothing
    • Other (specify in a comment.)

I think not only would we need no adblockers, but the internet would be a better place if the following rules were applied immediately:

1. No company can perform any sort of data collection whatsoever, other than that needed for legal reasons (for example collecting billing addresses when placing an online order). For the purposes of making this workable, data collection does not include reasonable actions taken by the user (for example making an account) provided that no data is collected other than the data volunteered by the user. 

2. Any company that uses any sort of ads (regardless of if they use an ad platform, or they host them directly) is directly responsible for any damage those ads cause to the users device, every company must have a free phone number and e-mail that's prominently displayed on their "about us" page for users to contact the company in the case of complaints regarding this specific issue.

3. Any data that's collected for the purposes of 1. Must be deleted within 24 hours of it becoming legal to do so, or the data no longer being useful to benefit the user. Any data kept for technical support reasons must be anonymised (eg not keeping more than the first 2 parts of an IP 1.1.x.x), and that data must also be deleted within 30 days.

4. Companies must certify that collection data has been deleted, and those certifications must be available on request to the customer.

5. On request, companies must delete all data they have about a user, and confirm this deletion to the user.

Midroll ads are way more annoying than prerolls. For that reason i also use sponsorblock and i do not regret it. Call it piracy or whatever you want, but there are so many roadblocks nowadays that uBlock, Sponsorblock and i don't care about Cookies are essential browser addons imo.

I really like this quote from Gabe Newell:

image.png.3c6eefb0dcd41552ef43adf3c7ac0ace.png

Ever since i joined Steam, i haven't pirated a single game. Ever since i found Spotify, i haven't pirated a single song. But YouTube doesn't offer a good enough value to be worth 12 € a month for me, so i "pirate" by using the aforementioned addons. Just like i also cancelled my Netflix subscription as a consequence of them going down on password sharing. Piracy just regained the lead in being more convenient than either having to pay the full account fee myself or having to implement some workaround to keep sharing the password.

TL;DR: Unless there is a more convenient way of getting rid of ads, or ads aren't as inconvenient or intrusive to begin with, i will never get rid of my adblock.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 7/6/2023 at 2:53 AM, Stahlmann said:

Midroll ads are way more annoying than prerolls. For that reason i also use sponsorblock and i do not regret it. Call it piracy or whatever you want, but there are so many roadblocks nowadays that uBlock, Sponsorblock and i don't care about Cookies are essential browser addons imo.

I really like this quote from Gabe Newell:

image.png.3c6eefb0dcd41552ef43adf3c7ac0ace.png

Ever since i joined Steam, i haven't pirated a single game. Ever since i found Spotify, i haven't pirated a single song. But YouTube doesn't offer a good enough value to be worth 12 € a month for me, so i "pirate" by using the aforementioned addons. Just like i also cancelled my Netflix subscription as a consequence of them going down on password sharing. Piracy just regained the lead in being more convenient than either having to pay the full account fee myself or having to implement some workaround to keep sharing the password.

TL;DR: Unless there is a more convenient way of getting rid of ads, or ads aren't as inconvenient or intrusive to begin with, i will never get rid of my adblock.

Hah... YouTube isn't worth the money they're asking. That's pretty much spot on.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Only if there was a way to guarantee that the ads didn't lead to anything malicious.

i get ads but i hate watching them. thow i dont mind seeing ads of things i like like pc parts. im done with tampon ads... pose in your pants...

if there was a way to pic what i see that be ok but there not... so adblock it is.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

2 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Me choosing "Nothing" and not reading any of the comments in 3 pages because you can't change my mind about how ads absolutely suck.

I was trying to find if there could be any compromise no matter how much it would never ever happen.

IE "ads don't track you."

Only if it really hindered my experience. Some sites won't work without disabling it, and so far I've not cared about any of them, but if it became a real problem, then yeah I guess I would, at least for those sites.

On 7/6/2023 at 5:53 PM, Stahlmann said:

Ever since i joined Steam, i haven't pirated a single game. Ever since i found Spotify, i haven't pirated a single song. But YouTube doesn't offer a good enough value to be worth 12 € a month for me, so i "pirate" by using the aforementioned addons.

I dont think that's the reason. Adblock is prevalent because it's easy to use. 

You didn't pirate a single game because it's much harder to pirate games than to pay the money. What kind of service does Steam provide that is worth your money? Lets you browse and download games? If there's a browser addon that that blocks spotify ads with just 1 click, I guarantee you the same crowd who uses adblock for youtube will be on it. 

Youtube premium basically offers a deal of money for your time which is the same as Spotify. 

If I got a 80% discount on my internet service I'd be interested, its my connection after all. TBH it needs to be put in legislation, similar effect to my countries spam act https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2016C00614

The answer to PC cooling is aircon. RGB sucks. Have you tried turning it off and on again

Adv Dip Computer Engineering  |  CCNA  |  ITIL  |  macOS Support Essentials  |  Security + |  Internal Cabling License  |  SAA-C03  |  RHCSA (studying)

Level 2 Support full admin AD  |  IBM Server Build Technician  |  Various IT consulting work

The Hermit Build

I currently don't use an ad blocker, though it's increasingly difficult to continue raw dogging websites. It's part of the "aggressive ads --> increases usage of ad block --> more aggressive ads --> even more usage of ad block" positive feedback loop we're in. FFS, youtube is really bad these days. But, I also want to support the sites and creators I enjoy, so I put up with them... for now.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

If each and every site showing ads would vouch for the ads and pay damages in case of infected or illegal ads I would reconsider adblock. But as it stands right now the site owners have no idea what ads are being shown and if they are safe or not.

I would consider paying for an ad-free experience but this would need to be a fair exchange. A site I visit a handful of times per month does not get €5 in revenue from me from ads, and youTube does not make €12 of ad revenue from me per month for sure. Make it reasonable, in case of youTube offer an ad-free only option (I simply do not care for anything else) and I would actually consider paying for a no-ad experience.

Make the experience of viewing an add somehow better and less annoying.

It's the same reason why many people use Netflix and Steam instead of pirating.  Not because they suddenly were against piracy.  Just because they found the legitimate way more convenient.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

On 7/7/2023 at 4:49 PM, Caroline said:

about how ads absolutely suck.

Its kinda like the advertising agencies dont even try anymore. What happened to when ads had a cool jingle? Like the JG Wentworth commercials. Hell I could sing that jingle by heart. 

The fact is all the ads are now unimaginative. Also why the fuck are drug companies advertising to me? Im not going to go in to talk to my doctor and say "saw this drug on TV, think it might be a good match to me". Dont get me started on the political ads. If I didn't vote absentee I wouldn't have voted in the 2020 election, because Youtube kept serving me them damn political ads and at the end I didn't even want to vote anymore. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.