Apple’s Game Porting Toolkit – a PC Gamer’s Perspective

James

Mac gamers rejoice! Apple’s Game Porting Toolkit is here to bring mainstream games to the masses. How does it perform, what’s its compatibility like, and what can we expect from developers?

The 4% of Apple gamers seeing this: YAY!

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

It's actually possible to run these games a LOT better (still not as good as a gaming PC though) eg the M2 Ultra should be getting over 50FPS on Cyberpunk 2077: 

Performance profile of Cyberpunk is markedly different to this video from an M1Pro chip.  Did you guys stick with Ventura on the M1Max Studio or did you put the Sonoma beta on it?

btw, if you want to get the MTL performance hud up on games you're running that don't have an in-game FPS counter, you can run this command in the terminal prior to running the game

launchctl setenv MTL_HUD_ENABLED 1

This doesn't persist across sign-in / reboots, and obviously set the value back to 0 if you want to disable it. 

I ended up putting Parallels and Windows 11 ARM on my MacBook, and it does OK but leaves a lot to be desired for gaming specifically, perhaps some developers in the future will make Mac-native ports for things. I am looking forward to the MacOS-native version of Stray, I'm hoping Steam lets people that have already bought it for Windows just download it.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

I'm hoping Steam lets people that have already bought it for Windows just download it.

That's typically how it works for Mac ports that are delivered via Steam. If you bought it in Windows and there's a Mac version, then you can install it no questions.  The question is: are the publishers of Stray going to put the Mac version on Steam, or are they going to distribute it via the AppStore only?

Does anyone have a link of the sheet referred to in the video? Can’t find one now reddit is being (rightfully) boycotted. 

1 minute ago, dropmiddleleaves said:

Does anyone have a link of the sheet referred to in the video? Can’t find one now reddit is being (rightfully) boycotted. 

I think it was this 

I have a polemic opinion about Macs: I think we are next to the end of the Mac computers as we know today.

Is not profitable as the iPhone, is not interesting and upgradable as a x86 computer and is too niche for sound and video type of work...I could be wrong but I think if Apple's want to continue in this market, have a big chance they start to sell this OS to all computers, or they will left this market for good and focus on iPhones and iPad would be the Mac substitute.

As they are selling computers today, don't think is very profitable for the cost. 🤔

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷

The girlfriend and I are so happy to see Emily back on camera, couldn't imagen how tough it was to step back in front of the camera. From 2 fellow sisters to you, congratulations, and the best of luck on your journey.

33 minutes ago, themrsbusta said:

and is too niche for sound and video type of work

lol

7 minutes ago, Paul Thexton said:

lol

Today is harder and harder to find people using macs outside the niche of this type of work, and even on this type of work sometimes is a niche too...

LTT team only uses Macs to edit videos? 🤷‍♂️ Just a single example.

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷

This video has a really bad like to dislike ratio for LTT on YouTube.

I know it's a Mac, but I've not seen a community fanboy this hard.

CPU - Intel Core i5 10600K @ 5GHz @ 1.35v + EK Custom Loop (Evo Supremacy Block, 240mm Copper Radiator, Res/Pump Combo, Mayhem Soft Tubing and Fluid) - GPU - Gigabyte G1 GeForce GTX 1070 - RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200MHz - Mobo - Asus Z490-A Prime - SSD - Samsung 850 120GB - HDD - 2TB WD Black - PSU - EVGA G2 650W Gold - Case - Corsair 680X RGB White with 6 x Corsair LL120 Fans. 

Picture of my System - https://imgur.com/gallery/q27dw2g

5 hours ago, poochyena said:

wait, is Anthony trans now or does he have a twin sister also working for ltt

49 minutes ago, Dazza477 said:

This video has a really bad like to dislike ratio for LTT on YouTube.

I know it's a Mac, but I've not seen a community fanboy this hard.

its do to feature emily/anthony. sadly bigots have been going after videos that feature the person.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

What better way for Emily to get back in the saddle than with a classic "explore janky/beta/development software" video with Linus?

4 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

its do to feature emily/anthony. sadly bigots have been going after videos that feature the person.

There really isn't an appropriate reaction to your post built into the forum system, so here's Captain Picard instead:

image.png.4e0ea5f7d87bd0159179e387641fc9fa.png

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, NearCry91 said:

A question: This is real or a joke? I guess, I never seen Anthony with beard 🤔🤔🤔
So she being Emily makes really really sense...If he had beard, would became Gabe Newell? Or maybe his twin 👀

I presume it's real...

Whatever, what a milf. 😏

We all praise the Goddess Emily. 🙏

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

What better way for Emily to get back in the saddle than with a classic "explore janky/beta/development software" video with Linus?

There really isn't an appropriate reaction to your post built into the forum system, so here's Captain Picard instead:

image.png.4e0ea5f7d87bd0159179e387641fc9fa.png

i meet the legend in person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but you got my point

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

2 hours ago, NearCry91 said:

Not out of spite, but i have always had difficulties adapting to changes like this,

Reminds me of the time my friend changed her name but i still keep using her previous name when referring to her -_-

I wish Anthony/Emily good luck,

You have my support!

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566