Whaler's 4P Folders Build Log (32 Cores and 24 Cores)

Hold on. So it only cost you 1.5k for that 4p rig?

If you hunt down the really good deals (on sites like Ebay, cragslist, ect), you could have it possibly cheaper than that.  ;)

Yep, about that - ended up, most expensive part was the mobo - I got ripped off on cross border duty as well. Folks in the US could probably do a lot better on it...

Holy crap that's so much power for the money! Now I wanna build my own 4P rig just to fold <3

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Holy crap that's so much power for the money! Now I wanna build my own 4P rig just to fold <3

Well, look around. I ended up buying the mobo new and the PSU (good sale though) and a custom case from @Spotswood, but otherwise, everything else is used. I have seen some used turnkey G34 rigs for between $1500 and $2000....

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Well, look around. I ended up buying the mobo new and the PSU (good sale though) and a custom case from @Spotswood, but otherwise, everything else is used. I have seen some used turnkey G34 rigs for between $1500 and $2000....

What does it cost you in power?

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

That unit - not sure offhand - probably draw about 600-700 watts.... I know for my four folders I a spending around $100 a month on power...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

• 2 weeks later...

I want one.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

only one?

If I can have more then I will gladly have more, ATM I only have $60 so a $1500 folding rig might not be in the future for a while

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

The King of Folding has arrived.

You ? 

I need to see some numbers, I am convinced that Whaler_99 is the king lol

You ? 

I need to see some numbers, I am convinced that Whaler_99 is the king lol

I was talking about Whaler lol.

I was talking about Whaler lol.

Oh lol, He's been here a while lol 

Really? whaler i know you said about the deal you have with your wife....but i don't know how you got away with this one!!! haha great build man and crazy build, fair play

@Whaler_99

Knowing how expensive electricity in our province is, Hydro One has to start sending you a christmas card!

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Really? whaler i know you said about the deal you have with your wife....but i don't know how you got away with this one!!! haha great build man and crazy build, fair play

Thanks! And after many years, I have worked out my ways and methods. :)

@Whaler_99

Knowing how expensive electricity in our province is, Hydro One has to start sending you a christmas card!

My local utility sends me a thank you card with every invoice. :D

My local utility sends me a thank you card with every invoice. :D

Are you serious ? That;s awesome ! lol

• 1 month later...

Just a little update based on some recent stuff...

First off, those bigadv projects are huge. When one of the 4P boxes goes to upload results and then download results, my Internet connection tanks. It uses the torrent protocol, which can actually pull a good chunk of my bandwidth. My Internet is a 80Mb down and a 4Mb up. I am also running multiple internet facing services as well, which also suck up bandwidth, but ya. You ever build one, watch you internet die while the suckers does updates. :)

Got myself a used dual Xeon system I am playing with. Will update with more details and pix shortly. Right now, swapping some hardware, trying to get Ubuntu 12.04 running but running into video issues, so going to try and sort that tonight. This is another 24 core system...

Might also try @XsilentX guide on doing up Linux on it - may have better luck.

Cheers gang!

• 1 month later...

Just a little update based on some recent stuff...

First off, those bigadv projects are huge. When one of the 4P boxes goes to upload results and then download results, my Internet connection tanks. It uses the torrent protocol, which can actually pull a good chunk of my bandwidth. My Internet is a 80Mb down and a 4Mb up. I am also running multiple internet facing services as well, which also suck up bandwidth, but ya. You ever build one, watch you internet die while the suckers does updates. :)

Got myself a used dual Xeon system I am playing with. Will update with more details and pix shortly. Right now, swapping some hardware, trying to get Ubuntu 12.04 running but running into video issues, so going to try and sort that tonight. This is another 24 core system...

Might also try @XsilentX guide on doing up Linux on it - may have better luck.

Cheers gang!

Hey I love your rig. Did you ever get that xeon up and running? Also I've been wanting to build a 4p system for a long time,do you think your rig would have trouble doing folding and acting as a file server/nas at the same time?

Hey I love your rig. Did you ever get that xeon up and running? Also I've been wanting to build a 4p system for a long time,do you think your rig would have trouble doing folding and acting as a file server/nas at the same time?

Xeon is up and running as of this weekend, putting it through it's paces now. As for a file server / nas - FAH doesn't really stress the hard drive at all. And if all you are doing is hosting the files, should be fine. I know some software/nas installs can also do encoding and stuff, which would impact FAH. But as just a straight file server, shouldn't be much of an issue. Just be aware, when a bigadv project is downloaded/uploaded, it will impact the network performance a bit. Make sure you have a Gb connection.

Xeon is up and running as of this weekend, putting it through it's paces now. As for a file server / nas - FAH doesn't really stress the hard drive at all. And if all you are doing is hosting the files, should be fine. I know some software/nas installs can also do encoding and stuff, which would impact FAH. But as just a straight file server, shouldn't be much of an issue. Just be aware, when a bigadv project is downloaded/uploaded, it will impact the network performance a bit. Make sure you have a Gb connection.

Thanks for the info! What's you PPD on that Xeon?

Thanks for the info! What's you PPD on that Xeon?

Just about 100k - but I haven't got a 8101 yet, all 8103+ projects. I am waiting to get a 8101, they are the hardest, to see if it can complete those and what the points are.

Good God, Whaler, that's awesome.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Good God, Whaler, that's awesome.