Why Is The Forums So Out Of Date

Go to solution Solved by adm0n,

What would you actually want to become more modern? I'd say the look of the Forum is pretty modern. I could try to become more responsive and get loaded with animations, but I don't think that would make it more functional in any way.

And aside from that, I'm not really missing any features.

I was just wondering why is the whole forum site 

completly out of date. I mean there entire systems 

are all more like they are made in 2010! But i still use it so 

yeah i still like the forums i was just wondering if they might 

modernise it. 

8 minutes ago, Hleahy said:

modernise it. 

its pretty damn modern to me, love the look

dark mode ftw

and also bc most forums use the same "engine"

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

3 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

its pretty damn modern to me, love the look

dark mode ftw

and also bc most forums use the same "engine"

i did not know tere was a dark mode...

Just now, Hleahy said:

i did not know tere was a dark mode...

its called night theme

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

What would you actually want to become more modern? I'd say the look of the Forum is pretty modern. I could try to become more responsive and get loaded with animations, but I don't think that would make it more functional in any way.

17 minutes ago, Hleahy said:

modernise it. 

tbh its not that out of date

I like the look and don't think they should change it 

They also have a pretty good system in with the threads

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

7 minutes ago, adm0n said:

plus it would be unecesary, i turned off windows 11 animations, takes too long lol

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

Just now, Blqckqut said:

plus it would be unecesary, i turned off windows 11 animations, takes too long lol

Haha, feeling that.

Its a forum... the whole concept is pretty old at this point, but not IMO outdated.

It is very functional for its purpose. Also, Luke and Linus have mentioned on WAN that it's as cost and not an income generator, so I figure it doesn't recieve a lot of development funds.

I can't really see a lot of quality of life improvements to the format anyway, but maybe I lack vision in that aspect 🙂

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

What is an up-to-date/modern forum look like? Like Reddit? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

7 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

What is an up-to-date/modern forum look like? Like Reddit? 

God please no. Reddit so much harder to read than this Forum, with people having threads within threads and all that stuff.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

It is clean, clear and readable. Simplicity is the way to go for information transfer and that's what a forum should be about. Not a glossy unintelligible mess.

Do you read books? Are they simple readable text?

Or do you read comics? A mess of colours and rambling bits.

I suggest being way more specific if you want any hope of change, modern is a very ambigious word. Are you talking about ui, missing functions, etc.

What is even "modern" to you?
It's a forum. What did you want? Something awful like what reddit did?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

God please no. Reddit so much harder to read than this Forum, with people having threads within threads and all that stuff.

That's why I'm curious what not "out of date" forum look like.

Few places that doesn't look like a traditional BB forum
Reddit - Threaded replies, ewww
Nvidia - Laggy af layout
AMD - Threaded replies, ewww
Level1Tech - Navigation and layout need some time to get use too, look like an email client. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

I also think that there is a limit of how much it is possible to optimize human interaction via text. Having threadceptions makes it possible to follow multiple paths to an answer at once, without being impossible to find what you want. While in a linear forum like this one, you'd have to go through the whole thread to find out about everything being said.

But I strongly prefer the linear design over reddits for threads where just a few people interact. Reddit with this linear design would also be awful. So different tools for different jobs.

Maybe make some specific suggestions? 

Modern or new isn't always better. I like how categories are organized. 

The host also is limited by what the software allows. I've seen much worse forums based on older software. 

The only feature this forum is missing, is that if I put a user on ignore, I would make all the threads that user starts be invisible to me. Right now, only their posts are hidden. That would make it a bit more clean and not waste my time going into threads by people I ignore (I don't remember all the usernames I ignore...lol)

That is my only suggestion for improvement.   

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

As someone who spent far too much time on phpbb2 forums over the years, this place is damn near futuristic.

Threaded replies are a terrible user experience. They're worse than Linux greybeard mailing lists.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Forum doesn't have infinite scrolling - 0/10, ancient as hell

/s

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 minute ago, dilpickle said:

I love the ability to split quotes. I haven't seen that on any other forum.

Wait what? I wasn't aware of that 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

2 hours ago, dilpickle said:

I love the ability to split quotes. I haven't seen that on any other forum.

Easy to do on the Linux Mint forum. Just put "square bracket" "quote" "square bracket", the text being quoted and then "square bracket" "/" "quote" square bracket and the bit below happens. Quote in each case is that word - quote

at the start of something to be quoted and

at the end of the sentence.

Works every time.

13 hours ago, Hleahy said:

modernise it. 

All of you thank yourt for your opinions and now i understand more wy it is so good after i went to look at some other forums and turned on dark mode so thank you all you can abandon this thread if you'd like because i am and sorry for the toxic opinion aparently

1 hour ago, RollyShed said:

Easy to do on the Linux Mint forum. Just put "square bracket" "quote" "square bracket", the text being quoted and then "square bracket" "/" "quote" square bracket and the bit below happens. Quote in each case is that word - quote

at the end of the sentence.

Works every time.

Um yeah the point being you don't have to do any of that on this forum. 🙄