I HATE being lied to… but I love the ROG Ally

Plouffe

Thanks to dbrand for sponsoring today’s video!

Head to http://shortlinus.com for all your ROG Ally screen protector and skin needs.

Asus was a bit misleading with their marketing during the preview cycle, but we've now had time to properly test the ROG Ally Z1 Extreme and it's still a very impressive handheld. We were already excited, but when they FINALLY confirmed the final price we almost couldn't believe it. Time to sell your Steam Deck? Maybe...

Pre-Order the ASUS ROG Ally here: https://lmg.gg/ASUSROGALLYPREORDER

Buy a Steam Deck: https://geni.us/qrCmI1y

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Oh boy.. I cant wait to see how taxes in norway is gonna eat this up.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

wish he dropped it at least once 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

I'm sure everyone with an Asus am5 motherboards that want to use EXPO without burning up their chips hate asus too. But ya nice handheld that will be forgotten about in a year.

4 minutes ago, CyberneticTitan said:

Unrelated to the Ally but great job guys adding those visual indicators.

I appreciate them experimenting with it but didn’t like this version. Hard to spot on a phone especially the color chart ones. 

Would much rather what they’ve (and GN) used before - just highlight the whole area you’re talking bait with a semi-transparent box. 

Buying the 64gb Steam Deck and just upgrading the SSD yourself or using a SD card is the clear winner here. The lack of repairability with the Ally, combined with Asus highly questionable product support make this decision a no brainer. The quieter operation, variable refresh rate and the ability to use an external GPU are great but not worth all the down sides.

And I would shocked if the 64gb Steam Deck wasn't the best selling SKU. The 64gb version seems to be the most recommend version on reviews that I have seen and I know multiple people that bought it and recommend it.

It's €799-€850 in EU depending on country (atleast from what I gathered so far). And with current things ASUS is doing, ye no shot. Do not put it over 25w or it will void the warranty.

Man, just for the fact that the $699 price has ended up being for the Z1 Extreme model and not the base version like most of us thought would be the case has me seriously considering picking one of these up.

I have a Steam Deck right now and love it but would love that extra bump in power along with the 120Hz panel. Plus I have a friend that doesn't have and can't really afford a gaming computer right now so I'd happily be able to pass off my Steam Deck to him, meaning I know it would still get good use 🙂 

No Linus. I think most people do actually buy the base model steam deck. As far as I know it's the first one that went out of stock when they put them on sale, and still is out of stock. Nevermind the fact that in the UK at least the ROG Ally costs quite literally 2 base model steam decks. And the 256gb model is still like 250£ cheaper. That's a substantial chunk of money extra to spend on the Ally.

I don't feel like the Ally and the Steam Deck are in the same class. I can't honeslty say that the kind of person who spent 350£ on a base model steam deck would also be willing to dish out twice that for slightly better performance and a better screen.

>the steam deck wins on low power, but this wins on higher power modes

Isn't lower power consumption kinda the entire point of a portable handheld gaming device? You want it to consume as little power as possible while still being performant enough to play.

Sure, this is faster on high power, but more power in means more power out. If the steam deck wins when it's using only 10 W I think that's a bigger win than the ally winning with higher power draw.

Still stuck at low resolution like 720p in the review. We deserve a game changer in 2023. Elevating handheld into Full HD 1080p gaming visuals. I would like to say hello to the Rog Ally that can play AAA games in 1080p a resolution that reviews should test instead of 720p.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

3 hours ago, Ralf said:

Still stuck at low resolution like 720p in the review. We deserve a game changer in 2023. Elevating handheld into Full HD 1080p gaming visuals. I would like to say hello to the Rog Ally that can play AAA games in 1080p a resolution that reviews should test instead of 720p.

A higher resolution screen makes little sense. At 720p you already can't see individual pixels on these handhelds, so higher resolution only results in a slightly shaper image but mostly would result in more battery draw and requires more powerful hardware to achieve the same fps.

When you actually play games on the Steam Deck, you think, I wish the fan was quieter, the battery lasted longer and maybe the FPS was higher. You don't think the image needs to be sharper.

8 hours ago, Plouffe said:

Thanks to dbrand for sponsoring today’s video!

Head to http://shortlinus.com for all your ROG Ally screen protector and skin needs.

Asus was a bit misleading with their marketing during the preview cycle, but we've now had time to properly test the ROG Ally Z1 Extreme and it's still a very impressive handheld. We were already excited, but when they FINALLY confirmed the final price we almost couldn't believe it. Time to sell your Steam Deck? Maybe...

Pre-Order the ASUS ROG Ally here: https://lmg.gg/ASUSROGALLYPREORDER

Buy a Steam Deck: https://geni.us/qrCmI1y

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Why don't y'all use histograms for your tests? You essentially use a sideways one with a low number of unevenly spaced bins. more bins and rotated would help a lot. If y'all tell me what software you use to make your plots I can show you how to turn the same data into a histogram. It really doesn't take a long and it would be easy for you to represent the distribution of the data you collect instead of the left-sided extremes. You could even highlight the 1% and 5% low if the low performance is what is noticed more.

I am not super aesthetically skilled, but I dummied this up in R in like 15 mins.

image.thumb.png.60af9a4c94a564add9631936cdc139c8.pngLinusPlz.png.98ce1bf49e83abb081345b2e6b67c95e.png

messing_around.R

7 minutes ago, master0fnull said:

Why don't y'all use histograms for your tests? You essentially use a sideways one with a low number of unevenly spaced bins. more bins and rotated would help a lot. If y'all tell me what software you use to make your plots I can show you how to turn the same data into a histogram. It really doesn't take a long and it would be easy for you to represent the distribution of the data you collect instead of the left-sided extremes. You could even highlight the 1% and 5% low if the low performance is what is noticed more.

I am not super aesthetically skilled, but I dummied this up in R in like 15 mins.

image.thumb.png.60af9a4c94a564add9631936cdc139c8.pngLinusPlz.png.98ce1bf49e83abb081345b2e6b67c95e.png

messing_around.R 1.12 kB · 1 download

Another option would be a percentogram which shows the spread using bins. Might be useful if representing extremes is important https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2023/04/13/the-percentogram-a-histogram-binned-by-percentages-of-the-cumulative-distribution-rather-than-using-fixed-bin-widths/

6 hours ago, master0fnull said:

Why don't y'all use histograms for your tests? You essentially use a sideways one with a low number of unevenly spaced bins. more bins and rotated would help a lot

Their graph looks better and more readable on a phone than yours would. 

YouTube tells creators what devices people are watching on and Linus has mentioned (on the WAN Show maybe?) that close to half their viewers are on mobile.

I'm curious about Windows 10 compatibility. The Windows 10 touch experience is decades ahead of Windows 11's.

10 hours ago, master0fnull said:

messing_around.R 1.12 kB · 7 downloads

honestly it's just way less concise and takes longer to process mentally.

After all the coverage with ASUS's lack of QC and anti-consumer moves, I can't see the reason to trust them with this.

Maybe in s few years,  but I can't see myself owning one unless it can properly run SteamOS, or another Linux distribution made for handheld gaming.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

1080p with 120hz it's strong sale point for Ally, 720p on 7 inches screen looks too blurry for me.

There is a YT channel that reviews all kinds of handheld gaming devices, with an eye towards retro gaming compatibility. ETA Prime.

He's a bit of a fanboi, so you have to read between the lines on a number of things, but he gets the main points across.

In any case, there appear to be a number of "Steam Deck" competitors coming out, but the challenge as I see it, is anyone can build a Steam Deck killer for 2-3x the price, the trick is building one at the same price point, and I haven't seen that yet.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I think it is a really cool computer, but, it looks like the software is a little half baked because you have to keep fighting Windows and ASUS' own software to use the damn device.  I would never buy it without it having a Steam Deck like sleep and auto resume function,  which is a killer feature for me.  Maybe they can add that in, whether it be just a program that you could install or by possibly installing Steam OS on the machine.  Still, I hope we get many more affordable handheld gaming PCs!

48 minutes ago, CaptainDarkstar42 said:

I would never buy it without it having a Steam Deck like sleep and auto resume function,  which is a killer feature for me

Agreed 100%. These kind of devices are consoles in my mind, and that feature is just table stakes for any console I might buy. 

But overall, the product looks promising. I hold out hope that by the time I'm looking to upgrade my PC, I'm able to upgrade to a handheld + docking station setup.

3 hours ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

After all the coverage with ASUS's lack of QC and anti-consumer moves, I can't see the reason to trust them with this.

Maybe in s few years,  but I can't see myself owning one unless it can properly run SteamOS, or another Linux distribution made for handheld gaming.

I'm curious to see how Holo OS runs on the Ally as well. Would be interesting to see if that solves the 10W issues, or if it helps at least.