I HATE being lied to… but I love the ROG Ally

Plouffe
The button sticking issue is an actual gamebreaker for me. The fact that they knew about the issue and didnt fix it makes me feel like they wont support this very well... Stuff like that is a huge red flag for me... I am not going to buy something were previous flaws are only "maybe"(i dont trust companies) fixed in a later release (ally 2...).

There is no way that the statement:

"I legitimately got the X button stuck 15 times during my review play through of Stray. Here, let me show you. *Immediately gets X button stuck* This is a production unit. I told them when the pre-release build was here for our first video, they would need to fix this... and they didn't. Maybe some lube in there would help sort it out"

And the statement that this is the new vaunted killer device can legitimately exist in one video.

• Gets bodied at low wattage
  • Gets bodied on high end and low end screen brightness
  • Gets bodied on battery life
  • No FOSS operating system
  • No widely available iFixit / 3rd party parts (looking at you, Gulikit HAL thumb sticks and JSAUX backplates with cooler mounts built in)
  • Software's a mess
  • Control switching is a mess
  • Because it's not a FOSS OS, you're completely dependent on Asus continued support for updates, so as soon as they decide to release the Ally2 you can say goodbye to continued support
  • Can you mod this without voiding the warranty, like the deck?

Speaking of warranties, lets not forget ASUS' other big news piece of the day, Trying to hush-hush its exploding motherboards with beta bios updates that.... void your warranty if you apply them

But im sure buying a compact handheld from them will be fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

There is no competition here. Not yet, anyway.

I had to register here to voice my opinion about the video since my comment on YouTube was quite quickly removed without any notification, the link was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVgr29NMA0&lc=Ugyyr46zZINuicmocY94AaABAg in other words the comment ID was Ugyyr46zZINuicmocY94AaABAg.

Maybe it was because I linked to another review from Retro Game Corps or anything with c**p in it get's automatically flagged, I have no idea.

So here it is, again:

I do not own any X86_64 handheld, I am just using Linux for gaming and disliking Windows a lot (but still using it on other PC with HP Reverb G2 and Fanatec wheel) so take my comment with a grain of salt.

But as someone named Linus, it's a shame that this person laughs about having to check ProtonDB for compatibility and says installing crap like:

* any game launcher, (seriously? please make a video about how different launchers than Steam are better, I dare you)

* most games with anti-cheat I know that doesn't support Linux right now (Hell cough Let cough Loose) are competitive FPS, which yes sucks in desktop/dock mode, but would you be playing these games on handheld often? It can be dealbreaker for Genshin Impact fans, but they can install Windows if they really care about that anime game.

* Discord or video editing software on Windowsdevicese is advantage to SteamOS. There are these apps on SteamOS as well, just not some crapy Adobe nonsense. Shotcut, Kdenlive, Da Vinci Resolve and more are great alternatives.

* For game launchers you practically need only Heroic for GOG games (Good) Epig games (bad), if you have bought the game on EA/Origin Uplay then tough luck, bad choice, mostly the same games are available on Steam (at least by now).  Blizzard is bit tougher for beginner but with wine or proton it's doable to get it running fine.

For all of these points it applies that if the application is not in the "flatpack store", the user don't have any easy options the user would probably have to install other distros. But if they do and give it time, they can install practically anything, but lose out on the "customer support". So yes, practically that would force them to be a power user.

I was hoping for LTT to at least touch on the possibility of installing some other OS. Or something about the lower spec version as Russ @ RGC says https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-WlPA8acro.

Also what was the bit about custom SOC? Why not touch more on the "Z1 lie", it's literally the title at this current time( "I HATE being lied to… but I love the ROG Ally") I am sure you heard from Gaming Jesus Steve about ASUS being scumbags, but that could have been after this video was made.

Honestly I was expecting more from LTT.

P.S., not really a critique since it's again issue with "lazy customer" vs "power user" but $399 Steam Deck with not great 64GB eMMC can be swapped for ~ $50 512GB 2230 SSD from eBay (most shops I looked in Europe don't really offer 2230 SSDs), so that makes $450 vs $699 (or whatever the cheaper version will cost), and that for many people can be quite a difference. So if you can forgive the cooling issue, not as great screen, weaker HW, inability to connect fast eGPU, worse speakers and something else I missed, then it's still a pretty good deal. Note that in Europe cheapest Stam Deck is 419€ (almost ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ), so overall 462 eur (the cheapest Samsung 512GB 2230 SSD I found was 43.5€).

26 minutes ago, pulec said:

Blizzard is bit tougher for beginner but with wine or proton it's doable to get it running fine.

Wholly disagree, my dude! Download the installer. add as non-steam game. run. after install, change the executible path to the new battlenet.exe. you're done. how is that hard?

16 minutes ago, Kazlehoff said:

Wholly disagree, my dude! Download the installer. add as non-steam game. run. after install, change the executible path to the new battlenet.exe. you're done. how is that hard?

I was trying to think from the point of view of 'newbie users' where it isn't a few click process for them. But as you write it, it clearly is.

I just run my battle.net via proton-ge (/usr/bin/proton links to proton-ge-custom-bin on my system) like this:

alias proton_temp_try='game_compat=~/Games/bottles/tmp_throwaway/compatdata \
STEAM_COMPAT_CLIENT_INSTALL_PATH=${game_compat} \
STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=${game_compat} \
WINEPREFIX=~/Games/bottles/tmp_throwaway gamemoderun mangohud proton run'

proton_temp_try $path_to_battle.net

I have that alias in a single line, I just made it more readable for here. It's probably too complicated for most people but it works for me.
I manage that WINEPREFIX with bottles but the actual "windows instance" is in compatdata, eh, it's a bit of a mess.