"Linus going to elevate reviews to the point where his audience holds off on purchasing until the LTT review is out rather than just the release date"

diegoaccord

This was a comment on the recent X3D video. That's a horrible take. 

I pointed out the fact that CPU's last about a year. If you don't get a newly released CPU on day one, it will take you months to get it. If the said CPU is only the best that the vendor has for a year, then you have only months with that CPU before its succeeded. 

Personally, if I'm only going to have the CPU for a year, I need to maximize that time, and waiting for a certain review goes against it. Actually waiting for ANY review goes against it. You need to be in line at Microceneter (if you're lucky) or fighting bots the Egg before any reviews go live. Otherwise, you get that nice two month+ restock wait.

If you COULD go and easily get a CPU a week or two after launch, then it would be fine. But you can't. 

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X- Asus ROG Strix X670E-A DDR5 5600 32GB CL32 -Asus Strix Nvidia RTX 4090 -Lian Li Lancool 3
4.5TB storage; 3xM.2 NVME, 1xHDD.
MSI A1000G -Acer CB282K- Corsair H150i, Corsair fan exh, x3 Lian Li intake fans, x3 Lian Li lower fans
Corsair K57- Redragon Vampire Elite
Lenovo AMD A6/R4 Laptop

XBOX Series X, PS5, Switch, Dreamcast

Fun cars - Evo X built cammed 6266, Mustang S550 NA Cammed Cobrajet  

4 minutes ago, diegoaccord said:

I pointed out the fact that CPU's last about a year.

Excuse me what?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

8 minutes ago, diegoaccord said:

This was a comment on the recent X3D video. That's a horrible take. 

I pointed out the fact that CPU's last about a year. If you don't get a newly released CPU on day one, it will take you months to get it. If the said CPU is only the best that the vendor has for a year, then you have only months with that CPU before its succeeded. 

Personally, if I'm only going to have the CPU for a year, I need to maximize that time, and waiting for a certain review goes against it. Actually waiting for ANY review goes against it. You need to be in line at Microceneter (if you're lucky) or fighting bots the Egg before any reviews go live. Otherwise, you get that nice two month+ restock wait.

If you COULD go and easily get a CPU a week or two after launch, then it would be fine. But you can't. 

Is this an april fools post?

For one there isn't much advantage in gaming to be being right on the bleeding edge. You certainly don't need to buy stuff on release. AMDs 5600X is still a really widely recommended cpu right now despite being nearly 3 years old cause of its amazing value for money. Also, once you get it, it could continue to be good enough for a long time after that, not just a year.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Technology is always improving. Depending on the part of the industry that the product is from, you may get anywhere from a few months to one year before the flagship product is no longer the "flagship product". However, that doesn't make the previous generation product obsolete. CPUs will last, depending on the user's requirements, several years before needing to be replaced. I myself had a 3570K since basically release up until around the middle of 2019 because that entire time, it fit my requirements. From a purely functional perspective, CPUs will last a very very long time, well beyond the expected 'non-obsolete' life. 

Obsolescence is also mostly subjective. If it can meet certain user requirements, including the budget, no matter the age, and it makes sense to buy/use it, then it's not obsolete. Companies are trying to sell you products, so it makes sense for them to advertise new products as the best thing, and the thing you need, but in most scenarios, it simply isn't true. Improvements are always being made, and the important part is to determine if the product meets your or someone else's requirements. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

18 minutes ago, diegoaccord said:

Im a firm believer in the lack of future proofing but even this is just fucking frivolous. I can currently straight faced recommend used Ryzen 5 3600 and that thing is now 4 years old, and have seceeded by 2 generations in a row, same with 10th gen Intel but not to the extent of Ryzen as Ryzen would have the access to 5800X3D which is of course by your definition is an obsolete CPU, but you are so isolating it from the real world here where it can still realistically go toe to toe with the 13th gen Intel and 4th gen Ryzen in gaming and Cache-intensive workloads.

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Obsolescence is also mostly subjective.

Pretty much just this. Dont shop by age, shop by performance and longevity.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

20 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Excuse me what?

Yeah, what's wrong with your CPUs that it only lasts a year?... both of the CPUs in my workstation are, in fact, 6 years old (and have more cache combined than the X3D CPUs)

That was just... What are you even talking about?

"the best" or "the fastest" are a moving target at all times, so you want the fastest CPU at all times to the point of replacing the system every year? What kind of imaginary income even allows that and how can anyone justify "the fastest" as a blanket term?

Which is the fastest at gaming? Which is the fastest at rendering? Which is the fastest in a niche software? There's so much more to it, there have been so many i7's 'faster' than i9's for gaming since there's no need for extra cores, look at the 5800x3D vs 5950, which is faster needs context.

Back in the x58 days i7 920's ran circles around the higher chips in gaming and single core tasks but only when overclocked.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

11 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

That was just... What are you even talking about?

"the best" or "the fastest" are a moving target at all times, so you want the fastest CPU at all times to the point of replacing the system every year? What kind of imaginary income even allows that and how can anyone justify "the fastest" as a blanket term?

Which is the fastest at gaming? Which is the fastest at rendering? Which is the fastest in a niche software? There's so much more to it, there have been so many i7's 'faster' than i9's for gaming since there's no need for extra cores, look at the 5800x3D vs 5950, which is faster needs context.

Back in the x58 days i7 920's ran circles around the higher chips in gaming and single core tasks but only when overclocked.

This isn't about the i7/R7 vs i9/R9. I have gone with Ryzen 7 and Core i7 for this exact reason. 

The point was if you wait a couple weeks for a review, then there will be NONE to buy for a couple of months.

I have a 7700X right now. I plan to go 7800X3D, and if I want to, I have to be in line that morning, reviews be damned, especially weeks later. If the thing is as amazing as the 5800X3D was, if you weren't there day one, your chances of getting one any time soon go down drastically, and by then, the 8700X or 8800X will be close to being out. 

I mean, you can't get a 7950X3D right now. How long until you can? When Ryzen 8000 is about to launch?

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X- Asus ROG Strix X670E-A DDR5 5600 32GB CL32 -Asus Strix Nvidia RTX 4090 -Lian Li Lancool 3
MSI A1000G -Acer CB282K- Corsair H150i, Corsair fan exh, x3 Lian Li intake fans, x3 Lian Li lower fans
Lenovo AMD A6/R4 Laptop

12 hours ago, diegoaccord said:

Personally, if I'm only going to have the CPU for a year,

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

11 minutes ago, diegoaccord said:

The point was if you wait a couple weeks for a review, then there will be NONE to buy for a couple of months.

thats just.. not true. 
perhaps for the most flagship of GPUs sure. but also, do people who buy flaghship gpus care if its 10% or 50% better then the old flagships if they are too impatient to wait 2 weeks for the second batch to land on their shores?

Look, if you buy ANY electronic on  day one, you're a fool imho. You have no idea what bugs there will be, if the product is good, will ever be good, etc. The smart thing is to ALWAYS wait for the second batch.

Let's say it's true you always have to wait two months for restocks. Then you'll still have the cpu for the same amount of time because you have to wait for the next one too, so it doesn't really make a difference. I suggest just taking time to enjoy what you have instead of being obsessed with having the latest and greatest.

11 hours ago, diegoaccord said:

I mean, you can't get a 7950X3D right now. How long until you can? When Ryzen 8000 is about to launch?

Don't know where you are, but there is stock where I am.

12 hours ago, diegoaccord said:

I have a 7700X right now. I plan to go 7800X3D, and if I want to, I have to be in line that morning, reviews be damned, especially weeks later. If the thing is as amazing as the 5800X3D was, if you weren't there day one, your chances of getting one any time soon go down drastically, and by then, the 8700X or 8800X will be close to being out. 

There's always going to be something newer, faster, and shinier coming out "soon". You'll never have the best of the best, top of the line everything for very long.

Buy for the present. Ignore the tech press for a while afterward if it helps you avoid buyer's remorse.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 4/1/2023 at 9:24 PM, diegoaccord said:

Retired a month ago.

i7-870 + GTX 660

Don't ask what games I played on it, you'll be surprised. 😆

Now I am thinking whether I can repurpose it for something.

OldWife.jpg

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

8 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Don't know where you are, but there is stock where I am.

20 minutes away from a Microcenter. That doesn't have them in stock.

8 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

There's always going to be something newer, faster, and shinier coming out "soon". You'll never have the best of the best, top of the line everything for very long.

Buy for the present. Ignore the tech press for a while afterward if it helps you avoid buyer's remorse.

I'm not presenting that as a problem. 

Lenovo AMD A6/R4 Laptop

7 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Retired a month ago.

i7-870 + GTX 660

Don't ask what games I played on it, you'll be surprised. 😆

Now I am thinking whether I can repurpose it for something.

OldWife.jpg

Do tell...

Lenovo AMD A6/R4 Laptop

22 hours ago, diegoaccord said:

This isn't about the i7/R7 vs i9/R9. I have gone with Ryzen 7 and Core i7 for this exact reason. 

What can you do with a 7800X3D you can't do with a 7700X? In real world tests the 7700X outperforms the 7800x3d with a higher clockspeed in some workloads and in all others it's so close it's not worth measuring or within run to run variance.

So you worry that 8000 series won't have reviews up in time to stand in line to see how many single digit %  improvement was made? Given the assumption you have the option to upgrade every generation (silly idea) go donate to a charity every other year instead of throwing your money at a company making minimal improvements each generation. They can use it far more than your 3% gen over gen fps boost

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

On 4/1/2023 at 10:38 AM, Godlygamer23 said:

Companies are trying to sell you products, so it makes sense for them to advertise new products as the best thing, and the thing you need, but in most scenarios, it simply isn't true. Improvements are always being made, and the important part is to determine if the product meets your or someone else's requirements. 

This is why I'm on Skylake-X in 2023.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 hours ago, diegoaccord said:

Do tell...

The last two AAA i played on it was FF15 & SOTR

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

On 4/1/2023 at 10:24 AM, diegoaccord said:

if I'm only going to have the CPU for a year

*looks awkwardly at own signature*

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

4 hours ago, diegoaccord said:

20 minutes away from a Microcenter. That doesn't have them in stock.

I'm not presenting that as a problem. 

They type of people that care so much to the point of waiting day one in line probably don't care about the results of the review. They tend to buy regardless.