Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

Now, the channel is named LinusTechTipsTemp. The livestreams are still going on, but it seems the videos have stop disappearing one after the other.

I'm a French nerd. I use Project Nobara and I like FOSS and retro-computing.

14 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

I think YES

image.thumb.png.17702feb3dca001296a2a962149582af.png

Someone is working overtime and probably deserves a raise for them to get it  at least back to LTT *something* this fast:0151D5DF-BFB6-47C7-ABF4-7125D00730A8.thumb.png.1d1478951769319221692bfd87fcc722.png

1 minute ago, solado said:

In these cookie hijack sessions which is what happened by the looks of it, they hide the videos don't delete them.

Also because they hijack the cookies, they just have auto login access no ability to change the channels passwords etc.

Youtube itself still relies on such dated tech? No 2FA on settings change? So weird...

Yeah someone is working on it. But the streamkeys still seem to be active and probably a account with editor access that the scammer controls still exists in their account. 

And good thing the most important videos are still there.

684663119_Screenshot2023-03-23123747.thumb.jpg.fd496e5b126c0de79b6319a90ac0482e.jpg

I don't know how I could live without LTT telling me how to hide my... Random unboxings of the yesterday.

logo is back the channel in now under control of youtube

All the videos are just unlisted, not deleted, go into playlists and you will find them. all the descriptions have elon musk crypto scammer bullshit at the start, but they're still mostly intact. I think they have control back over the account, it says LinusTechTipsTemp and the handle is @temporaryhandle, and the icon is back.

Just now, aaLuhVehRuh said:

Youtube itself still relies on such dated tech? No 2FA on settings change? So weird...

Not how session cookies work, it's how browsers work.

Anything you auto-login with can be hijacked by importing the session cookies you steal.

CPU: Ryzen 5900x | GPU: RTX 3090 FE | MB: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 32gb Ballistix | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Sythe Fuma 2 | Case: Phanteks P600s | Storage: 2TB WD Black SN 750 & 1TB Sabrent Rocket | OS: Windows 11 Pro & Linux Mint

Just now, foxytech8 said:

linus finally sold the channel

LMFAO

Just now, aaLuhVehRuh said:

You can find videos on Youtube about how to spoof 2FA, it's not really secure....

Woke up to find they changed their name to 'Tesla'. Now the hacker is unlisting/deleting videos. I'd be spamming linus and team about this to get the ball rolling.

There is a guy on yt talking about this exact scam 9 days ago showing the same lives that are running on LTT right now. I searched Elon Musk crypto to see if any other channels were hacked and running the same crap and this has been happening, they just got our fav channel this time.

8 minutes ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

also sadly i can take @LinusTechsTips on youtube
would e funny if i could

image.png.000aa89d545c09a1c0ebb6438fd0d87c.pnglmao  didn't think it would let me take it. don't know if its individual or you can just put what ever you want but if it is happy to give it back to them 

Devops Engineer Outa UK 💬