Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

2 minutes ago, ashjonas said:

Youtube has taken down all the hacked channels. Hoping that nobody was scammed during this.

People did got scammed 

49 minutes ago, FSP said:

I did some digging on the wallets they listed and it looks like about 37 people fell for this. You can also see the wallet totals. It could be that they use multiple wallets, but they didn't change for me, when refreshing their page.

image.png.68c21ef16fa9517e6c1d5ead332ede68.pngimage.png.25d6750c64075374580af7e6a2e18bcc.pngimage.png.20350ce0139b4f95521556ad36862a03.pngimage.png.160bb4c8f0b84259f0ed47f8e5cb52c5.png

2 minutes ago, ashjonas said:

Youtube has taken down all the hacked channels. Hoping that nobody was scammed during this.

mulriple ppl got scammed but not that many (17/18000000)

11 minutes ago, _SKELETO_ said:

I wonder then, if something as large as an entire youtube group of channels can be taken like this, what hope for security is there for smaller, less financially capable entities? And I deffo wanna know which password locker LTT was using, cause I wanna know what to avoid...

Unless you’re big enough, then YouTube doesn’t care. You don’t make them enough money to justify the employee’s time.

Take Markiplier for example. YouTube killed his first channel, but he came back real strong. Now YouTube will bend over backwards and lick any part of Mark’s body.

28 minutes ago, Drazil100 said:

I am gonna side with them. 2FA (when done correctly) is not a scam/hack. The idea of 2FA is that you need something you have (usually some physical device like a keycard or something) and something you know (a password) so that if someone gets one of your login credentials they can't get the other. If they steal your device for instance that doesn't mean they can get your password and if they get your password in a phishing attempt that doesn't mean they have the physical key to log in.

2FA is often implemented incorrectly or in a significantly less secure way. For instance no one should ever use SMS for 2FA and while email is slightly better you should REALLY have it tied to the physical device and not accessible through an account.

2FA isn't a magic bullet however. In this case it sounds like the attack essentially stole their login session, bypassing the need to login at all. This is REALLY stupid on google's part if this is true though I am only speculated based on what I have heard.

Cookies for keeping an authentication session alive is not Google-specific. It's an every-website-ever thing. 2FA is effective against stolen/guessed credentials, and not targeted phishing or computer compromise of any kind.

Edited by Spotty

Big blow for Tech Fans 😒

“The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.

So why bother to learn.”

So it appears that Youtube have taken down The LTT main channel. let's hope they (youtube) have put the account on lockdown mode so no one else can access only them can

29 minutes ago, restokin said:

You read what he said incorrectly. He was inferring that they might not be able to discuss this event on the WAN show this week due to it only just occurring, not that the WAN show would not go ahead.

Maybe you're right, but with the wording in the message from Linus it could be taken either way. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

3 of my accounts got hacked recently too, epic games, gmail and microsoft

anyone else thinking that hackers are really stepping up their game and major companies who are suposed to protect their users ARENT?

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

From people who mention 2FA is a scam.. over people who still post which channels were hacked, even hours after the incident... could we please talk about those two individuals? (no hate)

fp.png

Ryzen 9 7950X - Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7900 XTX - ASUS ROG STRIX 670E-I Gaming Wifi - 64 GB DDR5 squeezed into a NZXT H1 V2

TÜV Certified Data Protection Officer (GDPR); Solution Engineer for Data Privacy & Digital Compliance

03/23/23 - We will always remember.

20 minutes ago, RockyRZ said:

Is that how they got hacked? Stolen cookies?

I've seen tons of youtube creator got hacked by their session cookies stolen, this is probably the easiest way to gain access, see one of the creator got hacked from the previous post I posted on this thread

53 minutes ago, FSP said:

I did some digging on the wallets they listed and it looks like about 37 people fell for this. You can also see the wallet totals. It could be that they use multiple wallets, but they didn't change for me, when refreshing their page.

image.png.68c21ef16fa9517e6c1d5ead332ede68.pngimage.png.25d6750c64075374580af7e6a2e18bcc.pngimage.png.20350ce0139b4f95521556ad36862a03.pngimage.png.160bb4c8f0b84259f0ed47f8e5cb52c5.png

Does this mean these hackers got out (so far) with 10,000 USD+?

Did i found a new one or it's fake Channel? Please reply 

Screenshot_20230323-154309.png

Hoping for a swift resolution of this messed up situation, you guys truly don't deserve this.

Look at this bright side, some cool content will come out of this!? 🙂

Stay strong!

>> Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! <<

Always happy to help!! 🤠

1 minute ago, Romikovec said:

This is 100% a fake channel, don't fall for this

>> Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! <<

Always happy to help!! 🤠

you should probably have left the banner warning up on the forum until the channels are reinstated (to stop spam in the forum).

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

1 minute ago, Romikovec said:

I doub't it.  I'd not click on anything calling itself  linustechtips2.0 or temp or whatever.  

2 minutes ago, Romikovec said:

It's fake, dont fall for these