Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

1 minute ago, StopHackingLinus said:

Should we all buy LTT backpacks and screwdrivers to help keep Linus Media Group financially afloat during this hack crisis?

I'll be sad if Linus has to miss a couple mortgage payments and take his kids to a soup kitchen because of slimey Elon Crypto Hackers.

I think he has enough money to survive the day

And I dont mean this that we shouldnt support him whatsoever. , I' m just saying

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

I hope everything works out... This is awful being hacked...

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16 | GPU: XFX 6700XT 12GB | Case: Deepcool Matrexx 70 | Storage: XPG Gammix Gen3x4 M.2 (NVMe) 256GB - ADATA SU 740 SSD 500GB - T-FORCE Vulcan 2.5" SSD 500GB - Mushkin Enhanced Source 2.5" 500GB SSD - Gigabyte Aorus 2TB NVMe Gen 4  | PSU: Enermax Triathlor Semi-Modular ECO 800w 80 PLUS Bronze | Display: MSI Optix MAG27OVC 144Hz | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | OS: Windows 11 Home | Steam Deck 

PC Peripherals: 

Mouse: G502 Hero & Razer Basilisk HyperSpeed Wireless | Keyboard: Ducky One Mini 65% | Mousepad: Techsource Topo Black | DAC: Schitt Fulla 2 & SYBA USB DAC | Headset: Alienware AW510H & Astro A40 TR | Speakers: Logitech Z323 

1 minute ago, YourNewsAnchor said:

I just saw this and it made me think about wan show will they miss it or will they just not stream to youtube

i dont think they will ever stop streaming or uploading to YT unless another platform overtakes them like YT did VINE. but i did think that maybe they will share their upcoming updates only on floatplain since YT is unavailable and they might think "if yt itself is going to make our lives harder by not helping in this matter, why should we go out of our way to come back sooner?" and it will be a good oprotunity to pull people to their FP platform.

5 minutes ago, daniel37parker said:

thats it all the channels that were hacked have been removed. still got lmgclips and csf lol 😞

lmg clips, tech linked, movies, for fun channel and the apple one.

Crazy that it takes hours for google to recover channel this size.

This Video can help recover 

Check it out!

Just now, Noamazia said:

lmg clips, tech linked, movies, for fun channel and the apple one.

tech linked got hacked bro

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

1 minute ago, YourNewsAnchor said:

I just saw this and it made me think about wan show will they miss it or will they just not stream to youtube

As of the last update from Linus he isn't sure if they're going to be able to do WAN Show this week. Hopefully they can, but it's not a big deal if they can't. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

It will be not easy job now for them recovery channels due Google rules is strict. From other side Google really need massive changes in how 2FA work that would makes impossible bypass 2FA just by stealing cookies.

You'd think LTT would be on a short list of accounts with such a reach that they'd prevent attacks like this in some way.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

I've added the notice Linus published to Floatplane to the top of the thread for anybody who doesn't have Floatplane or might have missed it in the comments in the thread.

Big thank you to everyone in the community for reporting this and showing support for the channels.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, CheeseOnion said:

I think he has enough money to survive the day

And I dont mean this that we shouldnt support him whatsoever. , I' m just saying

I just feel bad because Linus is such a nice guy and doesn't deserve this nastiness --- why couldn't they take down the Tesla website or Trump's campaign site and really make the world a better place?

1 minute ago, StopHackingLinus said:

Should we all buy LTT backpacks and screwdrivers to help keep Linus Media Group financially afloat during this hack crisis?

I'll be sad if Linus has to miss a couple mortgage payments and take his kids to a soup kitchen because of slimey Elon Crypto Hackers.

Yes. But not because of this hack. YouTube has everything under control and the channel will be recovered just fine. Everything will be back to normal in no time and there is no way that this will seriously impact LMG. 

I hear the backpacks and screwdrivers are nice though so you should pick them up for that.

Just now, Agall said:

Best ad for Floatplane ever.

Its all just a big conspiracy to get more Floatplane subs.

2 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

As of the last update from Linus he isn't sure if they're going to be able to do WAN Show this week. Hopefully they can, but it's not a big deal if they can't. 

I think if it is at all possible they will do one this week.  Just because they have that streak they are so proud of.  This was pretty bad though it might not happen.

3 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

You read what he said incorrectly. He was inferring that they might not be able to discuss this event on the WAN show this week due to it only just occurring, not that the WAN show would not go ahead.

The good news is that you can expect to get your LTT fix on Floatplane as usual 😛

Sure, but the real reason Floatplane wasn’t hit is because of how much smaller of a target it is.

I doubt security of Floatplane is anywhere near what YouTube has, but this still happened to YouTube creators all the time.

I fully support Floatplane as healthy competition, but let’s be real: if Floatplane had an audience as big, then it’d have likely crumbled ages ago.

4 minutes ago, Agall said:

You'd think LTT would be on a short list of accounts with such a reach that they'd prevent attacks like this in some way.

100% impenetrable security doesn't exist. Anyone can get hacked. Even google's main servers could potentially get hacked.
LTT IS on the short list of creators that can contact YouTube directly though and I am sure the process to get their channel back to normal will be expedited. 

7 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Man, what a shitty way for the WAN Show streak to end

Linus should check out this video about how this person's channel got stolen and recovered it within 3 hours:

originally if you want to recover it through the official ways might need a few days to weeks

13 minutes ago, Winterlight said:

It will be not easy job now for them recovery channels due Google rules is strict. From other side Google really need massive changes in how 2FA work that would makes impossible bypass 2FA just by stealing cookies.

YouTube/Google: “Oopsie, looks like we had a security breach again. Don’t worry, we’ll fix that right up while we curiously stare into these Men in Black neuralyzers we bought on the dark web.”

All a ploy to get us to move to floatplane lmao j/k. Hope you guys resolve this soon 😔

5 minutes ago, Drazil100 said:

Yes. But not because of this hack. YouTube has everything under control and the channel will be recovered just fine. Everything will be back to normal in no time and there is no way that this will seriously impact LMG. 

I hear the backpacks and screwdrivers are nice though so you should pick them up for that.

Not sure how I much I need the backpack since I'm 46 yrs. old but that LTT screwdrivers looks pretty nice.

What safeguards are in place to preserve all the YT videos?  You would think once you have full access to the account then you can delete everything rather easily, unless YouTube has some very robust backup strategies across multiple data centers (hopefully they do).