Nintendo Says No to Virtual Equality in Life Game

snowComet

In Nintendo's life simulation game "Tomodachi Life", there was a "bug" (as IGN called it), that allow same sex marriage in the game. But Nintendo later removed this feature from the game, which according to IGN, Nintendo referred to as "strange relationships". Tye Marini, a gay Nintendo fan from Mesa, Arizona started a petition called "Miiquality", requesting this feature to be back to the game. Nintendo responsed in a statement, striked down this request.

Nintendo never intended to make any form of social commentary with the launch of 'Tomodachi Life. The relationship options in the game represent a playful alternate world rather than a real-life simulation. We hope that all of our fans will see that 'Tomodachi Life' was intended to be a whimsical and quirky game, and that we were absolutely not trying to provide social commentary.

The ability for same-sex relationships to occur in the game was not part of the original game that launched in Japan, and that game is made up of the same code that was used to localize it for other regions outside of Japan.

We have heard and thoughtfully considered all the responses We will continue to listen and think about the feedback. We're using this as an opportunity to better understand our consumers and their expectations of us at all levels of the organization. We have been looking to broaden our approach to development whenever possible as we put all our energy into continuing to develop fun games that will surprise and delight players.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/08/nintendo-strikes-down-gay-marriage-requests-for-tomodachi-life

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/nintendo-virtual-equality-life-game-23620844

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Nintendo has just apologized for not including gay/lesbian couples and say that future games in the series will allow homosexual couples. They has stated that it is too late for them to change such a core element of the game. 

Edited by WoodenMarker
Merged thread update

Isn't this news really old? Like couple of months old

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

This is actually not the first time they've politely admitted to be homophobic. Let's see those Nintendo fans try to wiggle themselves out of this one and justify removing "teh gay"

EDIT: I might be thinking of the waaaay back then if this is indeed the same situation in which case yes, this is fairly old.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This is actually not the first time they've politely admitted to be homophobic. Let's see those Nintendo fans try to wiggle themselves out of this one and justify removing "teh gay"

EDIT: I might be thinking of the waaaay back then if this is indeed the same situation in which case yes, this is fairly old.

"homophobic"

I applaud Nintendo for sticking to their values and not being influenced by the liberal hivemind that is destroying the west.

destroying the west.

Yes, China is rising as a superpower while the US economy stutters and the country becomes a police state, gunslinging mess because 17 US states allow same-sex marriage. 

Yes, China is rising as a superpower while the US economy stutters and the country becomes a police state, gunslinging mess because 17 US states allow same-sex marriage. 

That is one of the typical liberal responses.

It is more for the fact that it is becoming impossible to have political debates about various subjects because eventually people are going to start calling others "racist", "biggoted", "homophobic" ... etc.

Look at all the bad press Russia got when western people misinterpreted the law they created to stop homosexual acts being shown to children. Look at a gay pride parade. Would you want your kids to see that?

It is more for the fact that it is becoming impossible to have political debates about various subjects because eventually people are going to start calling others "racist", "biggoted", "homophobic" ... etc.

Look at all the bad press Russia got when western people misinterpreted the law they created to stop homosexual acts being shown to children. Look at a gay pride parade. Would you want your kids to see that?

You are taking this out of proportions, we get it, you don't like it. Enjoy living and let others live.

Look at a gay pride parade. Would you want your kids to see that?

So they can live in a world where they aren't persecuted for who they are. How does someone else's sexual preferences affect you in the slightest?

You know this is what everyone said in the 50's and 60's when racial hatred was the go. People said "I can't stand people black people marrying whites!", how stupid do they look now? In 40 years we will look back at the hatred on gays and think, what were we thinking?

Not bothered.

Tomodachi Life doesn't even look all that exciting to me, it's just milking Mii's some more. That said, nothing about Tomodachi Life is meant to be taken seriously, it's supposed to be care free random Nintendo stuff. I'm for gay rights and all, but personally I don't want Nintendo or any other company shoving ideals on me or any one else. Leave your pro or anti stance out of games and just stick to the game aspect. Better yet, leave dating out all together, it's unnecessary. This isn't the Sims.

If you are seriously bothered that something as comical as Tomodachi Life not allowing same sex partnerships to the point of wanting to petition, there is something wrong with you. It's a game with Mii's. Calm down.

So they can live in a world where they aren't persecuted for who they are. How does someone else's sexual preferences affect you in the slightest?

You know this is what everyone said in the 50's and 60's when racial hatred was the go. People said "I can't stand people black people marrying whites!", how stupid do they look now? In 40 years we will look back at the hatred on gays and think, what were we thinking?

I am not against gay marriage at all.

I am against people using words like "homophobic" and other names to stop others expressing and sharing their thoughts. Look at debates on immigration. Somebody ALWAYS brings up the word "racist". People are scared to debate immigration these days.

And modern gay pride parades are essentialy men walking around in the tightest underwear they can find and waving their junk around, or women walking around topless in BDSM gear. Its an undeniable truth.

There's nothing political about sexual orientation: You simply are who you are. You choose to make it political by pretending it's a choice and a morally incorrect one that should be legislated against, because a lot of people apparently are too interested in other people's sexuality and feel compelled to actively marginalize them and tell em how to live their lives.

-------

Current Rig

-------

There's nothing political about sexual orientation: You simply are who you are. You choose to make it political by pretending it's a choice and a morally incorrect one that should be legislated against, because a lot of people apparently are too interested in other people's sexuality and feel compelled to actively marginalize them and tell em how to live their lives.

You completely missed the point.

I am not against gay marriage at all.

I am against people using words like "homophobic" and other names to stop others expressing and sharing their thoughts. Look at debates on immigration. Somebody ALWAYS brings up the word "racist". People are scared to debate immigration these days.

And modern gay pride parades are essentialy men walking around in the tightest underwear they can find and waving their junk around, or women walking around topless in BDSM gear. Its an undeniable truth.

We don't always see eye to eye, but I'm with you on this. The ironic thing about the immigration stuff is that the person that cries "racist" is often the ones who are racist themselves thinking only a certain group of people are illegal immigrants. A pale Canadian entering the US is still an illegal immigrant, but you never see this discussed.

As for the other bit, a gay friend from a long time ago actually feels the same way and finds them to be setting gays back several decades as degenerates. I knew of a women who was okay with homosexual couples until she went to a gay pride parade and was left feeling disgusted and now thinks all gay people are this way. People never think and throw around the "bigot" word so carelessly when it's the negative walking stereotypes that are to blame for the general populations reaction.

Back on topic, the further Nintendo distances themselves from all this, the better. Romance in games, regardless of orientation, is hardly pulled off right anyway, tends to come off awkward.

I mean, it's not necessarily Nintendo being homophobic.It's supposed to be a playful fun take on life. What it doesn't need is social equality and other political matters bought into it. I'm all for same sex marriage, but it is a video game, and a bug is a bug, and I don't think Nintendo would choose a game like that to make a social commentary

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Nintendo will not allow gamers to play as gay in an upcoming life simulator game.

The publisher of such gaming franchises as The Legend of Zelda and Mario Bros said it would not bow to pressure to allow players to engage in romantic activities with characters of the same sex in English editions of Tomodachi Life.

This follows a social media campaign launched by fans last month seeking virtual equality for the game's characters, which are modelled after real people.

Nintendo of America said in a statement: "Nintendo never intended to make any form of social commentary with the launch of Tomodachi Life.

Source & full article: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nintendo-says-no-gay-characters-045418408.html#aL2XI0E

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Nintendo has just apologized for not including gay/lesbian couples and say that future games in the series will allow homosexual couples. They has stated that it is too late for them to change such a core element of the game. 

"Nintendo never intended to make any form of social commentary with the launch of Tomodachi Life."

Too bad you idiots, just by not taking a position on it you've taken a position on it. 

How hard is it to code for same sex? IDK, I'll let programmers speak to that one. 

Its the laziness that pisses people off and then saying "Well, you can't have the same sex because screw you" 

*facepalm* Why Nintendo, just why?

i'm a potato

It kind of seems like they chose not to because doing so would say that they support homosexuality, but by not doing it they say that they do not support it. Honestly a weird position. Should probably just have gone ahead and allowed it for the sake of equality. But I don't think they meant to do it to piss people off or to speak out against any specific group of people. I choose not to personally think worse of Nintendo, just because, to me, it doesn't seem intentionally malicious.

Nintendo will not allow gamers to play as gay in an upcoming life simulator game.

The publisher of such gaming franchises as The Legend of Zelda and Mario Bros said it would not bow to pressure to allow players to engage in romantic activities with characters of the same sex in English editions of Tomodachi Life.

This follows a social media campaign launched by fans last month seeking virtual equality for the game's characters, which are modelled after real people.

Nintendo of America said in a statement: "Nintendo never intended to make any form of social commentary with the launch of Tomodachi Life.

Source & full article: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nintendo-says-no-gay-characters-045418408.html#aL2XI0E

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

*facepalm* Why Nintendo, just why?

Too bad you idiots, just by not taking a position on it you've taken a position on it. 

How hard is it to code for same sex? IDK, I'll let programmers speak to that one. 

Its the laziness that pisses people off and then saying "Well, you can't have the same sex because screw you" 

What kind of shit is this? It is 2014... hasn't the world moved one from this unneeded discrimination towards "groups" of people... Fucking hell...

Why Nintendo? why?

I was actually rather happy with Nintendo, what with the CEO giving himself a pay cut and stuff like that.