The Hogwarts Legacy debacle

Gamer Schnitzel

What is the TRUE reason that PC players have to wait until 6pm to play the game while console peasants can already play from midnight?

I don't see any reason for WB to make PC players wait so there has to be an actual technical limitation. Does Steam not allow games to release at midnight but only at 6pm? Dead Space also came out at 4pm.

Does anyone know anything about the technical side of this?

4 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

What is the TRUE reason that PC players have to wait until 6pm to play the game while console peasants can already play from midnight?

I don't see any reason for WB to make PC players wait so there has to be an actual technical limitation. Does Steam not allow games to release at midnight but only at 6pm? Dead Space also came out at 4pm.

Does anyone know anything about the technical side of this?

chill bro, 'console peasants'? calm down, is it that hard to wait a few hours? go watch a movie or sumn, and judging by ur pfp u still have a lot of onepiece episodes to go trough, just watch that

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

Anecdotal evidence (I can't find any hard Valve/Steam referenc on it so far), but it seems Steam has a typical store refresh time of 10 AM PST, leading to that being a common "release time" for games. I would guess it may be related to that.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/990080/discussions/0/3761104049349142880/

It could also just be a marketing ploy of course.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

10 minutes ago, tikker said:

Anecdotal evidence (I can't find any hard Valve/Steam referenc on it so far), but it seems Steam has a typical store refresh time of 10 AM PST, leading to that being a common "release time" for games. I would guess it may be related to that.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/990080/discussions/0/3761104049349142880/

It could also just be a marketing ploy of course.

If it's just a stupid "refresh" can't they just have a 2nd refresh time to give devs more choice? 

Steam supports releasing games at any time but they aren't actually scheduled, you have to click a button (documentation of this: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/releasing#5). My guess is either nobody with the power to click the button is available until then or they're staggering the release to keep the launch spike down. Probably the latter since they're also staggering console release times to be midnight local time in each time zone.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

just wait for a sale, it looks like its a 20 bucks title max.

alternative take: its a "debacle" because OP had to wait a few hours on *release day*? Publishers *love* these kind of consumers  "shut up and take my money!!~" 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

just wait for a sale, it looks like its a 20 bucks title max

Most reviews don't have that opinion.

In theory, there shouldn't be anything technical preventing all platforms from being launched at the same time. But, with their pre-orders, they know the volume for each platform and probably chose to ease the spikes on their servers by spreading the release out.

5 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

WB just hates PC gamers. And after having seen enough of them say things like "console peasants," that's understandable. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I wanna play it, maybe there will be a 70% Christmas sale, Harry Potter is best at Christmas anyway, here hoping for a free download epic games store weekend release

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

alternative take: its a "debacle" because OP had to wait a few hours on *release day*? Publishers *love* these kind of consumers  "shut up and take my money!!~" 

Really ? Map is as big as Witcher 3 

100 plus side quests with a bunch of replay ability from choices and story arks 

and 50 hours to finish story alone ? 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

9 hours ago, divito said:

Most reviews don't have that opinion.

4 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Really ? Map is as big as Witcher 3 

100 plus side quests with a bunch of replay ability from choices and story arks 

and 50 hours to finish story alone ? 

The problem is it's not out yet. It's ok to be excited, but every should know by now, it's ok to sit back and see how it goes. Cyberpunk had good reviews too actually before launch. I sure wouldn't be trying to pre-order anything, or playing anything on launch. I'll sit back and wait till the dust settles, see how things actually shake out.

6 hours ago, Ripred said:

I wanna play it, maybe there will be a 70% Christmas sale, Harry Potter is best at Christmas anyway, here hoping for a free download epic games store weekend release

I want to play this one too, but I'll pay for it before I'll use the Epic game store... It's sitting on my Steam wish list, I'll wait for a sale.

5 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

The problem is it's not out yet. It's ok to be excited, but every should know by now, it's ok to sit back and see how it goes. Cyberpunk had good reviews too actually before launch. I sure wouldn't be trying to pre-order anything, or playing anything on launch. I'll sit back and wait till the dust settles, see how things actually shake out.

I want to play this one too, but I'll pay for it before I'll use the Epic game store... It's sitting on my Steam wish list, I'll wait for a sale.

More than reasonable to wait for a sale but in my 5 hours of play so far, this is not a $20 game. 

3 minutes ago, divito said:

More than reasonable to wait for a sale but in my 5 hours of play so far, this is not a $20 game. 

I don't think it looks like a $20 game. My main point is, I'm always a little skeptical of early reviews, particularly from some of the large sites. Until the game releases to the public, I don't think you get a real feel for the actual state of the game. (I probably didn't convey that well.)

2 hours ago, divito said:

It's that good? 🤔 Hopefully it's optimized enough to run on my GPU by the time I get it 😆 

Is it really a GPU hog like some say?

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

2 hours ago, Ripred said:

It's that good? 🤔 Hopefully it's optimized enough to run on my GPU by the time I get it 😆 

Is it really a GPU hog like some say?

I'm running a 5600, 6800XT. I never even really looked at the settings it recommended, and just started playing. Having checked, looks like it put Vsync on and was running 60 FPS. I turned it off, and I was getting over 100 FPS through the section I was checking. Doesn't appear as though my system was stressed at all, but I'd have to turn on the overlays and stuff to actually check when I go into it tomorrow; 10+ hours is enough for one day.

16 minutes ago, Assimov said:

this post feels like a honeypot. The thread title is dishonest at best

As are many of the threads here

6 hours ago, divito said:

I'm running a 5600, 6800XT. I never even really looked at the settings it recommended, and just started playing. Having checked, looks like it put Vsync on and was running 60 FPS. I turned it off, and I was getting over 100 FPS through the section I was checking. Doesn't appear as though my system was stressed at all, but I'd have to turn on the overlays and stuff to actually check when I go into it tomorrow; 10+ hours is enough for one day.

Your getting 100+fps with a 6800xt... mines a generation behind and two tiers down...ill Probably be lucky to average 60 🥲 

On 2/7/2023 at 8:40 AM, Mark Kaine said:

That's a load of dog crap. It's a AAA game with hundreds of hours of stuff to do. How is that a $20 game? Because YOU would only pay $20 for it? Cool.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

IMO all games are worth less than 20-40 max.  I just wait for sales usually they are heavily discounted at the end of the year.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator