Microsoft Accidentally Released its AI-Powered Bing

Ziad.

Summary

Some Bing users report temporarily seeing a 'new Bing' that Microsoft accidentally released on Friday. It allegedly uses ChatGPT to answer questions, but unlike ChatGPT it provides sources and current information.

Quotes

The first big change between a normal web search engine and the new AI-powered Bing is that the search bar is now a chat box. It’s much larger in size, and encourages natural language rather than keyword-driven search terms. You’ll be able to ask Bing to look up specific topics or ideas, and even ask for its opinion, with its responses returned to you in a chat bubble.

The new Bing is also able to adjust its search queries with you in mind. You can tell it, with natural language, your plans or requirements, such as dietary needs or schedule conflicts, and it’ll do its best to bring you relevant information for your search request that factors in those requirements.

My thoughts

If the leaks are to be believed then this could be what saves bing from the depths of the internet graveyard. Hopefully they officially release it soon.

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/3/23584675/microsoft-ai-bing-chatgpt-screenshots-leak

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft/major-leak-reveals-revolutionary-new-version-of-microsoft-bing-powered-by-chatgpt-4-ai

Bing is never going to die due to the mom and pops out there who don't know anything on computers and only use Edge to get onto the internet and bing is default. This is why/how Microsoft can maintain its dominance. It may change in 15-20 years when the technology kids like myself go into the retirement age, but its likely not going to happen any time soon.

That said, I do like that they're making it cite references for where/what the information is pertaining too instead of just spitting it out and making the user decide. That does help with fact checking and cross referencing the data given. This will be key for people doing research for school projects and papers.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 hour ago, Ziad. said:

Summary

Some Bing users report temporarily seeing a 'new Bing' that Microsoft accidentally released on Friday. It allegedly uses ChatGPT to answer questions, but unlike ChatGPT it provides sources and current information.

Quotes

My thoughts

If the leaks are to be believed then this could be what saves bing from the depths of the internet graveyard. Hopefully they officially release it soon.

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/3/23584675/microsoft-ai-bing-chatgpt-screenshots-leak

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft/major-leak-reveals-revolutionary-new-version-of-microsoft-bing-powered-by-chatgpt-4-ai

It’s gonna destroy term papers too

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

49 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Bing is never going to die due to the mom and pops out there who don't know anything on computers and only use Edge to get onto the internet and bing is default. This is why/how Microsoft can maintain its dominance. It may change in 15-20 years when the technology kids like myself go into the retirement age, but its likely not going to happen any time soon.

That said, I do like that they're making it cite references for where/what the information is pertaining too instead of just spitting it out and making the user decide. That does help with fact checking and cross referencing the data given. This will be key for people doing research for school projects and papers.

The advertising page really annoys me, but I consider the thing safer than chrome proper.  Not very safe mind you, but safer. Me I use firefox

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Heard that it was expected in "a few weeks" and was surprised, expected it'd be end of the year or something...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

As an educator in my real life I HATE THAT IT DOES THIS.  The fact that Chat GPT itself makes up BS and gets certain things wrong is what makes it possible in theory to catch cheaters.  

Consider the lengths some will go to so as to avoid learning course content. A colleague sent this to me. 

Screenshot_20230204_134902.png.923c614bbb6dada6af3f2158d91aefbe.png

Yes I get that this is a tweet, of a person who has a 3D printer rigged up to write on paper.  Basically like an old school plotter.  I can believe that this exist and that it can write any text to a page.  With a little work it might even be able to do cursive. 

So it might be possible to not even be able to demand handwritten work in cursive.     Me and my faculty colleagues are thinking of shifting to verbal reports.  Just as have been done by PhD Students in their final exam before getting the doctorate. 

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Heard that it was expected in "a few weeks" and was surprised, expected it'd be end of the year or something...

All one needs to do is link Chat GPT to a source like Bing, and all the databases it links to, along with a computer Algebra system like Wolfram Alpha, then also say ... stable diffusion for AI art.  Then all knowledge work can be replaced by typing in a bing.  

Hey bing.... "Write me an illustrated 7 page paper that posits a unique theory of everything with references and links to external data bases."  

If human knowledge and mental effort are not of any value and instant, low effort, gratification are all that counts why bother learning, why bother with art, or science? 

1 minute ago, Uttamattamakin said:

As an educator in my real life I HATE THAT IT DOES THIS.  The fact that Chat GPT itself makes up BS and gets certain things wrong is what makes it possible in theory to catch cheaters.  

Consider the lengths some will go to so as to avoid learning course content. A colleague sent this to me. 

Screenshot_20230204_134902.png.923c614bbb6dada6af3f2158d91aefbe.png

Yes I get that this is a tweet, of a person who has a 3D printer rigged up to write on paper.  Basically like an old school plotter.  I can believe that this exist and that it can write any text to a page.  With a little work it might even be able to do cursive. 

So it might be possible to not even be able to demand handwritten work in cursive.     Me and my faculty colleagues are thinking of shifting to verbal reports.  Just as have been done by PhD Students in their final exam before getting the doctorate. 

All one needs to do is link Chat GPT to a source like Bing, and all the databases it links to, along with a computer Algebra system like Wolfram Alpha, then also say ... stable diffusion for AI art.  Then all knowledge work can be replaced by typing in a bing.  

Hey bing.... "Write me an illustrated 7 page paper that posits a unique theory of everything with references and links to external data bases."  

If human knowledge and mental effort are not of any value and instant, low effort, gratification are all that counts why bother learning, why bother with art, or science? 

Well good thing is that the developers of the ChatGPT have released a detection tool aimed at helping detect.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/openai-chatgpt-detection-tool-214506831.html

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

ChatGPT won't be a problem for teachers if they just adapt instead of trying to fight it.

Instead of trying to combat it, try designing assignment with ChatGPT in mind. People copying from ChatGPT is just a slightly more advanced version of copying text from Wikipedia anyway, and that has been a thing for at least 15 years already. Just treat ChatGPT as any other tool that students can and will use. Don't want them to use it during some assignment? Then have them do that assignment in the classroom without access to computers.

I think ChatGPT will become a great tool for learning, because a student using it responsibly can ask it some questions, and then fact check afterwards. It's easier to fact check something and correct errors than it is discovering something from nothing.

If you as a teacher were giving students grades based on things you never saw them personally write then chances are they could have cheated in your class even before ChatGPT became a thing.

Anyway, I think Bing could improve a lot if they added a ChatGPT like function to it. Maybe it'll even make me use Bing. Even if the answers it gives isn't accurate, it might provide a great starting point to research further. I think that as time goes on it will get more and more accurate as well. Not everything in life is super important either, so if you have some unimportant question it might be enough to get an answer from ChatGPT even if it's wrong.

A few weeks ago I tried to make a sauce with melted cheese in it. For some reason the cheese I added to the sauce just lumped together and formed a big blob. I have no idea why, and it was very difficult to Google the answer because almost all results were related to cheese making, not sauce making with cheese in it. So I asked ChatGPT and got some tips on how to avoid it in the future and it said I couldn't save the sauce. Was ChatGPT right? Who knows, but just being told "sorry, you can't save it" after having googled a bit with no success made me give up and start again, and next time I'll follow the tips that will hopefully help (let the cheese come to room temperature first, and add a little at a time).

To me asking ChatGPT something is like asking a forum a question. When you ask a question on a forum there is a fairly high risk that the answer you get is totally wrong, but usually it's somewhat right and a lot of times that's enough. 

9 hours ago, Ziad. said:

this could be what saves bing from the depths of the internet graveyard

hahahah no. bing will forever be used to search 'chrome download official' and nothing else.

ai will not save it, it died on arrival.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

My lecturers (on the whole) went by the theory that if you wanted to cheat on your assignments, then so be it. You're only cheating yourself, and if you don't learn your shit then you are still going to struggle to pass an interview or probation at work - that piece of paper will only get you so far on its own. And as an adult, that's your problem, not your educator's. Their job is to provide you with the tools to learn, not to be a babysitter.

But the answer to this 'problem', if you really do want to stop plagiarism, is pretty obvious to me: just make your grades more reliant on exams, rather than on coursework. It's not like someone is going to be able to whip out an AI-powered robot arm to write their essay for them in the middle of an exam hall, and if a student wants to cheat on a piece of homework that doesn't contribute to their final grade, then who gives a fuck?

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

52 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

ChatGPT won't be a problem for teachers if they just adapt instead of trying to fight it.

Instead of trying to combat it, try designing assignment with ChatGPT in mind. People copying from ChatGPT is just a slightly more advanced version of copying text from Wikipedia anyway, and that has been a thing for at least 15 years already. Just treat ChatGPT as any other tool that students can and will use. Don't want them to use it during some assignment? Then have them do that assignment in the classroom without access to computers.

I think ChatGPT will become a great tool for learning, because a student using it responsibly can ask it some questions, and then fact check afterwards. It's easier to fact check something and correct errors than it is discovering something from nothing.

If you as a teacher were giving students grades based on things you never saw them personally write then chances are they could have cheated in your class even before ChatGPT became a thing.

Anyway, I think Bing could improve a lot if they added a ChatGPT like function to it. Maybe it'll even make me use Bing. Even if the answers it gives isn't accurate, it might provide a great starting point to research further. I think that as time goes on it will get more and more accurate as well. Not everything in life is super important either, so if you have some unimportant question it might be enough to get an answer from ChatGPT even if it's wrong.

A few weeks ago I tried to make a sauce with melted cheese in it. For some reason the cheese I added to the sauce just lumped together and formed a big blob. I have no idea why, and it was very difficult to Google the answer because almost all results were related to cheese making, not sauce making with cheese in it. So I asked ChatGPT and got some tips on how to avoid it in the future and it said I couldn't save the sauce. Was ChatGPT right? Who knows, but just being told "sorry, you can't save it" after having googled a bit with no success made me give up and start again, and next time I'll follow the tips that will hopefully help (let the cheese come to room temperature first, and add a little at a time).

To me asking ChatGPT something is like asking a forum a question. When you ask a question on a forum there is a fairly high risk that the answer you get is totally wrong, but usually it's somewhat right and a lot of times that's enough. 

I wonder if Microsoft might even help with this one some sort of rbl or something you sign your students up for for the duration of the class maybe.  They’ve already built a detector it seems.  It could also be set geographically because of all the datamining they do.  Someone within a particular area produce a bunch of really specific chat GPT questions?  Is that person in your class?

Edited by Bombastinator

9 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Bing also is better because it gives rewards, if you grind MS rewards enough you can basically get gamepass for free 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Bing also is better because it gives rewards, if you grind MS rewards enough you can basically get gamepass for free your data

FIFY. (Yup google takes your data too without returns, but it sounded pretty false to say that you got it for free.)

18 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

FIFY. (Yup google takes your data too without returns, but it sounded pretty false to say that you got it for free.)

As I understand the way datamining works is it’s often near valueless unless it isn’t, but in those instances it can be worth tens of thousands.  Health records, for example, go for big money.  They’re protected because they can affect employment.  People hiring really want to know what your presence at the business might do to the health plan.  Other stuff can have value in large numbers.  They can do things like predict which way you are likely to vote and what might sway you. Or make you stay home on Election Day.  Seriously creepy.  What they sell is stuff other people want badly enough to know about you that they’re willing to pay.  That’s what all the miners actually sell.  The most creepy bit is you don’t know what they have.  This should have been regulated many years ago but there’s a lot of money keeping it legal.  The only good news is most of that info has a pretty short freshness date.  If government ever gets those thumbs out it will regain sanity fairly quickly for most people (the folks blackballed because of a bad health repot are still screwed for life though)

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Fair enough, but the way it's set up, honestly I doubt they get much useful data at all. I mean you take quizzes that they make for points. It's also quite easy if you want to just search random garbage to get your points quota for the day. 

It seems more likely to me that they're using it as a way to serve ads to you and boost their own user count.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

3 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Fair enough, but the way it's set up, honestly I doubt they get much useful data at all. I mean you take quizzes that they make for points. It's also quite easy if you want to just search random garbage to get your points quota for the day. 

It seems more likely to me that they're using it as a way to serve ads to you and boost their own user count.

That’s just the part you knowingly participate in.  There are lots of data collection systems.  One of them is grocery store “loyalty” cards, which could also be described as customer ear tags. They know what product you bought, where you bought it, and when.  This can be very useful.  One of the first grocery stores to use one in the 90’s managed to predict a user’s menstral cycle and reminded her to buy pads.  She sued them to make them stop but all it did was make them stop telling her, not remove the capacity.  Doesn’t mean they don’t know though, and that they can’t sell that information about you to someone else who stands to make even more money off you by knowing it.

Edited by Bombastinator

18 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The advertising page really annoys me, but I consider the thing safer than chrome proper.  Not very safe mind you, but safer. Me I use firefox

Possibly not safer, it's still harvesting all the data it can, nothing to choose between them on the privacy front.

If you want to use a Chromium browser, the correct answer is Brave. Brave is my back-up when a website doesn't like Firefox.

19 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

Possibly not safer, it's still harvesting all the data it can, nothing to choose between them on the privacy front.

If you want to use a Chromium browser, the correct answer is Brave. Brave is my back-up when a website doesn't like Firefox.

Microsoft did that anyway though.  With predatory bing, data is going to just one place not two.   I’m not saying it’s good.

in unrelated curiosity dust on the monkey?, dust distributed by monkeys?, or dust made of ground monkeys?

It was bound to happen to be used for big search engine. Fun times.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

20 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Well good thing is that the developers of the ChatGPT have released a detection tool aimed at helping detect.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/openai-chatgpt-detection-tool-214506831.html

Thank God I just hope it will hold up to scrutiny since having to walk into a disciplinary hearing with it's evidence is something a prof has to stake our reputations on. 

The following point is well taken we are not just trying to not use it. 

17 hours ago, LAwLz said:

The problem is that we need to be certain students have a basic level of ability that does not depend on technology.  We teach basic algebra to intermediate algebra with no calculators allowed for a reason.    Not "what if your calculator breaks" but to ensure that your brain has a certain level of ability to think through problems of this nature.  

We are comming up with ways to use Chat GPT in context where its use is educationally legitimate....

This is always a possibility thankfully so much of cheating is done so clumsily that this is not a big problem.   I once taught astronomy at one of the City Colleges of Chicago (I've taught at more than one).  At one point I created all my own matterial based on open sources and my own work.  The next semester I tried to reuse that work.  

Guess what happened.  I caught a bunch of students turning in copies of a students past work as their own. 
Not handwritten copies the photocopied it/ scanned it and uploaded it. 

They did not even white out the name of the person who did the work! 

Consequently by policy I had to punish them by deducting points from their grade and the ring leader got official discipline.  THat is not good.  If Chat GPT encourages people to cheat and we have to crack down on them that is not good for the students.   However, we have to crack down or else  the degrees we award have no real meaning.  They are awarded not because people did the work by any means necessary but because by doing the work with their brains they proved to have a certain level of mental ability and factual knowledge. 

I don't expect my opinion to be popular because most people in any age group are not teachers.  Most people only experience school, especially science class or math class as an obstacle they have to overcome... and us teachers are mean meanies who won't just let them pass*.  Fine.  Such is the job and we have reason to be concerned. 

snip

To me this is the way to look at it.  A type of activity I am mulling over is having students teach Chat GPT what we are talking about in class, and correcting its out put.   You knwo turn the tables on em.  It's not easy to teach something new to an intelligence that already knows a lot.   At least with Chat GPT it does not take offence to the effort. 

*I have had it said my grades were biased... in math class ... where most if not all of the grading is done by a computer system... and all their best grades were the ones I gave by hand.... because I was being leinient... and they simply didn't do most of it.    Even had one student show up 4 weeks into an 8 week accelerated class.  They hand't attended at all and DEMANDED all A's for the quizzes they missed because they would've gotten A's.   If anyone wonders why I'd say such a thing there you have it.   I have SO MANY more stories like that one. 

I noticed this as a student.  Calculus is a weeder course.  It’s harder than most of the courses after it but if you don’t get it immediately they won’t let you take the other courses in math even if you get it later.

17 hours ago, tim0901 said:

My lecturers (on the whole) went by the theory that if you wanted to cheat on your assignments, then so be it. You're only cheating yourself, and if you don't learn your shit then you are still going to struggle to pass an interview or probation at work - that piece of paper will only get you so far on its own. And as an adult, that's your problem, not your educator's. Their job is to provide you with the tools to learn, not to be a babysitter.

This is true but a school DOES have to try to combat plagarism.  Your lecturers (I take it you are in a UK based system) may feel that they don't have the job security to police this.  Since lecturers often have a contract with no job security at all.  If they bust half the class for plagiarism and that half then complains that it's because the course is hard or they did not teach them well enough they can and will be fired on the spot.   It happens. 

However the institution as a wholem, at least in the US system, is subject to accreditation and review from the outside.  If a school gives degrees that mean nothing to enough people eventually their graduates do not get hired, and they can loose accreditation.  At that point they shut down.  Consider this school. 

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/09/07/itt-tech-shuts-down-all-campuses

The End for ITT Tech

Following a series of federal sanctions, ITT Tech on Tuesday shut down its 130 campuses, forcing a scramble for many of the for-profit's 43,000 students.

But it was ITT's issues with its accreditor that spurred the department to take its recent action. The Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools last month determined that ITT was not in compliance and "unlikely to become in compliance" with its criteria. ACICS also is facing federal scrutiny.

However, transferring may not be an option for someone like Jimmy Bilbo, who was close to graduating this spring from ITT Tech with a bachelor's degree in cybersecurity.

"I've heard a lot of my credits wouldn't transfer," Bilbo, 36, of Marrero, La., said. "They said it was the luck of the draw and whatever school I was trying to transfer to. I was looking over the list they gave me, and none of the schools in the area have the same program I'm studying. It just seems like I've been going to school for three years now and I'm about to have nothing to show for it, and at the same time I've used my entire Post-9/11 GI Bill [benefits] on going here."

I quoted so much because who am I really.  Some self important person on the net claiming to be a college prof (well an adjunct professor part time but with  a level of job security).   I speak on this from real concern for students futures.  If you go to a school that becomes known for being toooo laid back about these things it will eventually catch up to you.  

17 hours ago, tim0901 said:

But the answer to this 'problem', if you really do want to stop plagiarism, is pretty obvious to me: just make your grades more reliant on exams, rather than on coursework. It's not like someone is going to be able to whip out an AI-powered robot arm to write their essay for them in the middle of an exam hall, and if a student wants to cheat on a piece of homework that doesn't contribute to their final grade, then who gives a fuck?

This is a legitimate option HOWEVER examination is not a perfect solution by itself.  There is a real and measurable effect of time pressure and the examination environment on all students.  Test anxiety tends to depress performance across the board.   Then in the US BIPOC students face stereotype threat.  They are told by society they are not good at math, so the extra fear that they will prove that right, can lead them to either not try OR to try to hard and second guess themselves.  I have seen the scribbled out much simpler and correct answer or what might have been it, or work towards it, on papers.  I can't just give points for that on a test.  There are ways to take account of a students overall performance in a numerical and objective way in assigning a final grade.    Curving the exam grades for example. 

8 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

This is true but a school DOES have to try to combat plagarism.  Your lecturers (I take it you are in a UK based system) may feel that they don't have the job security to police this.  Since lecturers often have a contract with no job security at all.  If they bust half the class for plagiarism and that half then complains that it's because the course is hard or they did not teach them well enough they can and will be fired on the spot.   It happens. 

However the institution as a wholem, at least in the US system, is subject to accreditation and review from the outside.  If a school gives degrees that mean nothing to enough people eventually their graduates do not get hired, and they can loose accreditation.  At that point they shut down.  Consider this school. 

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/09/07/itt-tech-shuts-down-all-campuses

I quoted so much because who am I really.  Some self important person on the net claiming to be a college prof (well an adjunct professor part time but with  a level of job security).   I speak on this from real concern for students futures.  If you go to a school that becomes known for being toooo laid back about these things it will eventually catch up to you.  

This is a legitimate option HOWEVER examination is not a perfect solution by itself.  There is a real and measurable effect of time pressure and the examination environment on all students.  Test anxiety tends to depress performance across the board.   Then in the US BIPOC students face stereotype threat.  They are told by society they are not good at math, so the extra fear that they will prove that right, can lead them to either not try OR to try to hard and second guess themselves.  I have seen the scribbled out much simpler and correct answer or what might have been it, or work towards it, on papers.  I can't just give points for that on a test.  There are ways to take account of a students overall performance in a numerical and objective way in assigning a final grade.    Curving the exam grades for example. 

Not to mention increased student suicide rates.   Carlton had a serious problem with that for a while but pushing the break forward a week fixed it.

44 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I noticed this as a student.  Calculus is a weeder course.  It’s harder than most of the courses after it but if you don’t get it immediately they won’t let you take the other courses in math even if you get it later.

I didn't experience this myself.    I had a professor in grad school who taught me Quantum Field Theory who admitted he himself had to take it twice.     Calculus is hard most schools will let you retake it at least once if you got a D or less.    There are good reasons that you can't proceed beyond calc I if you didn't get it.  Calc I was for me anyway not hard.  

That said I started out in a remedial math class got an F in it.  THen tested into advanced algebra + trigonometry the next semester.  Never got a bad grade in math until senior year.  I had a professor in Partial Differential Equations who wanted us to prove the existence and uniqueness of a solution to an equation.  Then solve it in terms of a infinite series of terms.  Then prove the series converges uniformly.  Then find the sum of the series in terms of elementary functions.   While in physics class solving the same equation is just solving it to find the series solution and you're done.   After that period of time a lot of Physics programs started teaching the math needed internally.    It's my own fault for wanting to minor in math and major in physics. 

I wonder if Chat GPT could do all of that. 

SO I tried it and this is what I found. newfile1.pdf

I have not checked this solution in detail.  It ... for lack of a better word "looks correct".  The solution it gives is good enough that if I were a student it would be tempting to check it by substitution into the original equation.  Then if it works out call it good.  The problem is THAT IS NOT SOLVING THE EQUATION. Checking a given solution for validity is not the same as solving a problem that has not been solved.  (At least not by you.) 

Screenshot_20230205_115638.thumb.png.aaf9ac7c1849f2e1932bf46295e95099.png

Then so does this Mathematica script that does not work.  That said in Chat GPT's defense mathematics can be rather inscrutable even for a person who has used it for decades.   Just for lulz I'm going to ask it to answer in Python.   Python no better.  That said on other topics I've noticed it will give a better quality, higher effort answer the longer one conversates about it.  

29 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not to mention increased student suicide rates.   Carlton had a serious problem with that for a while but pushing the break forward a week fixed it.

Yeah school needs to have academic rigor but not be so joyless that the suicide rate on campus is higher than the general populations rate for the same age range and economic circumstances etc.