Did I make a mistake?

Nior2008

My grandparents gave me and my sister $1000 to share to get new phones, the money was split $500 each so we could each get a phone. 

My oldest brother's gf gave me her old Samsung S20fe so I'm using that phone and I'm happy with it. I was thinking of using my share to get a Nintendo switch lite and a few games, but my sister says since I already have a phone she says I should give her my share to her so she can get a iPhone. I told her No, since it was my share. She says I'm being selfish since I have a phone I should give her my share. 

I don't think you technically owe her anything, but seeing as you have benefited from another family member being generous to you and your sister did not, you could show her some of the same generosity and offer her a 100 or so. 

These situations are rarely about the money but about the perception of fairness,  from your sisters point of view you got $500 plus a good enough phone that you don't have to buy one, While she got $500 only.   If there is nothing else to take into account (other money/things being lent, spent or gifted or needed) and I were in your shoes I'd offer her something to help get her a better phone.  Happy/supportive siblings make life a lot easier when things go bad.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

44 minutes ago, Nior2008 said:

My grandparents gave me and my sister $1000 to share to get new phones, the money was split $500 each so we could each get a phone. 

My oldest brother's gf gave me her old Samsung S20fe so I'm using that phone and I'm happy with it. I was thinking of using my share to get a Nintendo switch lite and a few games, but my sister says since I already have a phone she says I should give her my share to her so she can get a iPhone. I told her No, since it was my share. She says I'm being selfish since I have a phone I should give her my share. 

By pure chance I have a consulting fee of $500 per post. So this resolves the situation perfectly. 😉

Did you do anything to earn the S20FE or was it just a gift while your sister got nothing? What's the value of a used S20FE? $200? IMHO it seems fair to attribute the honest value of the S20FE to the total and split it equally (be the bigger person). Your sister gets $600 to spend on a phone and you get $400 to spend on a Switch and a $200 phone. This is plenty for the Swiitch OLED and a game or two. So you both get a piece of the cake, you can mathematically show it's fair and you don't have the drama.

It's your money, and she wants it now!

If she wants any part of your share so badly, share the Switch.

I can't believe flagship phones cost a thousand dollars now... Yikes.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

She can get an iPhone for her $500 share: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-se

Who cares if it's fair that you got a phone from your other sibling's girlfriend and she didn't? Would she have taken that S20FE if your brother's girlfriend would've offered it to her, or is she someone who just has to have an iPhone because it's an iPhone? If it's the latter, this is a good lesson to not be blinded by brand hype. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

13 hours ago, Nior2008 said:

Haha no you owe her nothing, maybe help her pick out a phone? Besides Iphones are garbage so she should get a better phone anyways 😀. You used intelligence to find a phone to not have to spend that money, it dosen't mean you now owe her the money. 

10 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

I can't believe flagship phones cost a thousand dollars now... Yikes.

They aren't even that cheap. An entry level iPhone 14 Pro is something like $1800, A Glaxay S22 is almost $1500 & The Pixel 7 is $1000 in Australia. I remember when these phones were half those prices for the top tier ones, not the entry level flagship from these brands.. Pretty sure my iPhone 13 Pro Max 256gb was something like $2200..

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

20 hours ago, mr moose said:

I don't think you technically owe her anything, but seeing as you have benefited from another family member being generous to you and your sister did not, you could show her some of the same generosity and offer her a 100 or so. 

These situations are rarely about the money but about the perception of fairness,  from your sisters point of view you got $500 plus a good enough phone that you don't have to buy one, While she got $500 only.   If there is nothing else to take into account (other money/things being lent, spent or gifted or needed) and I were in your shoes I'd offer her something to help get her a better phone.  Happy/supportive siblings make life a lot easier when things go bad.

My brother's gf did offer it to her first before me, she said she doesn't like android 

20 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

By pure chance I have a consulting fee of $500 per post. So this resolves the situation perfectly. 😉

Did you do anything to earn the S20FE or was it just a gift while your sister got nothing? What's the value of a used S20FE? $200? IMHO it seems fair to attribute the honest value of the S20FE to the total and split it equally (be the bigger person). Your sister gets $600 to spend on a phone and you get $400 to spend on a Switch and a $200 phone. This is plenty for the Swiitch OLED and a game or two. So you both get a piece of the cake, you can mathematically show it's fair and you don't have the drama.

Nth, she was upgrading to S22 ultra, it was going to the trade in or either my sis or me. Since my sis didn't want it I took it. 

17 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

She can get an iPhone for her $500 share: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-se

Who cares if it's fair that you got a phone from your other sibling's girlfriend and she didn't? Would she have taken that S20FE if your brother's girlfriend would've offered it to her, or is she someone who just has to have an iPhone because it's an iPhone? If it's the latter, this is a good lesson to not be blinded by brand hype. 

She wants the iPhone 14 pro, 

1 hour ago, Nior2008 said:

Nth, she was upgrading to S22 ultra, it was going to the trade in or either my sis or me. Since my sis didn't want it I took it. 

Because you both got offered the S20FE and your sister didn't take it, you should treat the $1000 and the S20FE as a combined pot. Since you took the S20FE from the pot, you should split the rest accordingly.

26 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Because you both got offered the S20FE and your sister didn't take it, you should treat the $1000 and the S20FE as a combined pot. Since you took the S20FE from the pot, you should split the rest accordingly.

That's conflating two unrelated things. His sister refusing something offered by his brother's girlfriend does not automatically carry an entitlement to his share of the gift form their grandparents, these things are not part of the same transaction.

2 hours ago, Nior2008 said:

She wants the iPhone 14 pro, 

If she can't afford one without the monetary gift, she can't afford it with it. That's just a basic rule of life, if you can't afford something at least twice without draining your funds, you can't afford it at all.

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

22 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Your sister is being selfish wanting all the money to herself. 😂

So does mine, but, well, we learn to get along. I was still using Nokia 1600 when my sister bought her first iPhone 4.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

23 hours ago, mr moose said:

Agree. But for me, I usually offer half of my spoil to my sister. She has the best of the best usually while I get her stuff once she grew tired of it, so in the long run I would get the stuff in the end. Good old times.

Now that she is working, she usually return the favour by giving me gifts even when I don't request it. 3 or 4 years ago She bought me a Nintendo Switch while I get her iPhone 12. To be fair, she paid half of the iPhone 12 and helps paying the telecom bill for 6 months. She even gets me Pokemon Brilliant Diamond recently.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

1 hour ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

That's conflating two unrelated things. His sister refusing something offered by his brother's girlfriend does not automatically carry an entitlement to his share of the gift form their grandparents, these things are not part of the same transaction.

No, these two things are definitely related.

His sister taking a pass on a phone she has no use for should be considered later on when other resources are distributed. Otherwise you're setting the precedence that every transaction exists in a vacuum and you should always maximize your personal gains on each and every one. Which would have led to his sister taking the phone and selling it because she was offered it first while he is standing there empty handed. That's terrible advice for any form of communal life. And in this particular case it's even stupider because adding the phone to the pot still leaves him with a Switch. I don't know how much more you could want.

28 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

No, these two things are definitely related.

His sister taking a pass on a phone she has no use for should be considered later on when other resources are distributed. Otherwise you're setting the precedence that every transaction exists in a vacuum and you should always maximize your personal gains on each and every one. Which would have led to his sister taking the phone and selling it because she was offered it first while he is standing there empty handed. That's terrible advice for any form of communal life. And in this particular case it's even stupider because adding the phone to the pot still leaves him with a Switch. I don't know how much more you could want.

No, they're unrelated because guess what: Communal life does not preclude private property and financial independence. Besides, nothing would've hindered his sister from taking the offering and turning it into money and leaving OP empty handed. Would you even argue someone who makes demands in the current situation would've been altruistic enough to voluntarily give up part of their gift if the roles were reversed? To say that this is acceptable just because the money minus the split would still let him have a Switch is a dumb statement, because it still posits that any gains made by the commune must be shared entirely, even if one member voluntarily declined a free gift that could've been turned into cash. That indicates that OP's sister clearly doesn't understand how money works and is even less suited to make financial decisions. So no, keep the cash and buy some games for the Switch. That's the "more" I could want, more games thanks to savvy financial decisions.

And as I said, communal life does not mean pooling 100% of the resources and their gains. I earn quite a bit more than my partner. We still keep separate bank accounts and pay for stuff we'd like out of our own pockets. That means that I can sometimes buy myself stuff that's quite a bit more expensive than what she has. And she's ok with that, because she's not a gold digger and I'm not a charity.

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

nothing would've hindered his sister from taking the offering and turning it into money and leaving OP empty handed.

Exactly. Being a decent human is literally just a choice.

I earn quite a bit more than my partner.

Cool story, bro. Is your partner also your sister or how does this add anything to the problem at hand? 

because it still posits that any gains made by the commune must be shared entirely

Quotation needed.

That indicates that OP's sister clearly doesn't understand how money works

That's not an argument.

To say that this is acceptable just because the money minus the split would still let him have a Switch is a dumb statement

Not acting counter-social and getting a Switch seems like a big fat win on all ends. But from an counter-social egoistical point of view it's clearly dumb.

Seriously, if your only means of tackling an argument is to respond to it sentence by sentence and not as a complete argument, just admit you have nothing of merit to add.

Case in point:

1 hour ago, HenrySalayne said:

Cool story, bro. Is your partner also your sister or how does this add anything to the problem at hand? 

I live with my partner. Therefore we live communally. Your argument stems from communal living, not being related by blood. So either you admit your argument about sharing communal funds was bullshit or you have to accept my example as valid and come up with a sound rebuttal that would present a meaningful difference. But you wouldn't understand that by just quoting this sentence in isolation without how it relates to the rest of the argument. That's why you don't respond to individual sentences.

Not acting counter-social and getting a Switch seems like a big fat win on all ends. But from an counter-social egoistical point of view it's clearly dumb.

So tell me then, do you equally share everything you get with all your loved ones? Do all of you share your income, gifts you get, do you all pool that stuff and everybody gets an equal share?

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

Just invest the $500 in something that is NOT crypto.

Get a new phone and a new Nintendo in a few years.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

6 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

I did, I split the cash equally I gave her$500.but she said since I got the S20FE I should gi ve her the cash to get the iPhone 14 pro. 

6 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Agree. But for me, I usually offer half of my spoil to my sister. She has the best of the best usually while I get her stuff once she grew tired of it, so in the long run I would get the stuff in the end. Good old times.

Now that she is working, she usually return the favour by giving me gifts even when I don't request it. 3 or 4 years ago She bought me a Nintendo Switch while I get her iPhone 12. To be fair, she paid half of the iPhone 12 and helps paying the telecom bill for 6 months. She even gets me Pokemon Brilliant Diamond recently.

I wish I had your sister, I want to get the switch lite because mine wouldn't let me play her switch (red). So I thought I get my own to play pokemon and smash with my friends

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

Just invest the $500 in something that is NOT crypto.

Get a new phone and a new Nintendo in a few years.

Lol too young to invest, only 14 yrs old

11 minutes ago, Nior2008 said:

Lol too young to invest, only 14 yrs old

Never too young to invest.

Or just buy a Switch and some games and have fun while you're still young, it's all the same.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Two separate events happened.

1. You received an S20FE.

2. You received $1000 to split between you and your sister. You took $500, she took $500.

The S20FE came from a different person, and she turned the S20FE down.

She just wants the money. You did nothing wrong here, the $500 is rightfully yours.

elephants

3 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

sentence by sentence and not as a complete argument

You pulled something I never said from under a stone and wrote an essay to argue against it. Why should I bother with your imaginary counter-arguments? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I honestly thought "quotation needed" was a good hint that you are completely arguing out of the blue in a direction that only makes sense in your head.

3 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

I live with my partner. Therefore we live communally.

Good for you. Your urge to point out that you earn more than your partner has what relevance to the problem at hand? Neither OP nor his sister earned anything, we are talking about gifts.

Just to pin-point the facts once again, replacing OP and his sister with A and B:

- A and B got $1000 together for new phones (specific purpose)

- B were offered a phone and declined because they had no use for it

- A were offered a phone and took it

- A wants to spend $500 on a Switch because they now have a phone

Since they got money for new phones and A was gifted a new phone which B didn't take, it would be only logical to include the value of this phone while splitting the $1000. That's my point.

But you could also argue that A should not get anything from the $1000 because it is bound to a purpose and this purpose has already be fulfilled by other means.

Or you could argue, that it was foolish from B to not take the phone and they should now be punished and receive only $500 (wasn't that you point?) .

You pulled something I never said from under a stone and wrote an essay to argue against it. Why should I bother with your imaginary counter-arguments? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I honestly thought "quotation needed" was a good hint that you are completely arguing out of the blue in a direction that only makes sense in your head.

You really forgot you referred to "communal life" earlier? I suggest you start re-reading this conversation again.

Good for you. Your urge to point out that you earn more than your partner has what relevance to the problem at hand? Neither OP nor his sister earned anything, we are talking about gifts.

What relevance does it have that these are gifts and not earnings? Money as a gift is not tied to specific purpose. That's what makes it money, it is fungible and tradable for literally everything else. If you want to tie money to a specific purpose, either buy a gift-card for exactly that or buy the thing it's intended for. If someone gifts me money for a specific purpose, I reserve the right to use it for anything I please. I can't believe I have to explain the concept of money and its uses.

Since they got money for new phones and A was gifted a new phone which B didn't take, it would be only logical to include the value of this phone while splitting the $1000. That's my point.

Only in your clown world would that be logical. Let's spin your train of thought a bit further: What if OP hadn't received that free phone and instead decided to settle for a $100 phone. What should be done with the remaining $400? According to your logic, it's tied up in the purpose of buying a phone. Since OP already bought one, "logically" speaking, the remaining amount should go to his sister to buy a much more expensive phone. I'm sorry, but making statements around what "you could argue", two completely nonsensical and one logical (mine, for the record being the logical one) and calling them equivalent is just intellectually lazy. 

Also, you haven't answered my question.

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler