The Most Average PC 2022

Plouffe

RIP the GTX 1060 6GB. The 1650 is now in first place, so we went digging through the rest of the Steam Hardware Survey to see if any other major changes have come about in the last two years.

31 minutes ago, Matityahu said:

Can't seem to find the alternative PSU's in description, like Linus mentioned.

Be Quiet! System Power 9 500W // Seasonic B12 BC-650

About in the same pricerange and much better, IMHO, for budget-builds.

I think there's a mistake: A 2.3 - 2.6ghz 6 core isn't a i5 12400 but a Aliexpress retired server Xeon CPU, which you can find a kit with CPU, Ram and Motherboard for less than 100 bucks.

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷

All versions of the 1650 in the Steam HW Survey are bundled together, including the laptop versions. This does not happen with the 3060 which is the actual #1 GPU if you do the same (percentages add up to 7.75%):

ZtQQFNc.png

But anyone outside of the uber high-end gaming PC bubble can easily understand why the 1650 is so popular. An entry-level gaming laptop with a 1650 was basically the only reasonably priced option for a gaming computer throughout all of 2021 and the first half of this year. The average PC gamer actually spends much less money than what the media would suggest. Just look at the above graph: the 3070 was released 4 months earlier than the 3060 but it's not nearly as popular. It's actually closer to the 3060 Ti which was released this year, 15 months after the 3070. (wrong, check comment below)

About the CPUs: I'm willing to bet that the 6-core CPUs are actually Ryzens 1600 / 2600 / 3600 / 5600. The graph specifically says "Intel CPU Speeds".

By the way, I can tell no difference between 60 Hz and 75 Hz lol

12 minutes ago, unnerfed cthun said:

All versions of the 1650 in the Steam HW Survey are bundled together, including the laptop versions. This does not happen with the 3060 which is the actual #1 GPU if you do the same (percentages add up to 7.75%):

ZtQQFNc.png

But anyone outside of the uber high-end gaming PC bubble can easily understand why the 1650 is so popular. An entry-level gaming laptop with a 1650 was basically the only reasonably priced option for a gaming computer throughout all of 2021 and the first half of this year. The average PC gamer actually spends much less money than what the media would suggest. Just look at the above graph: the 3070 was released 4 months earlier than the 3060 but it's not nearly as popular. It's actually closer to the 3060 Ti which was released this year, 15 months after the 3070.

I'm confused about what you're trying to say here. The 3060 ti was released in late 2020, only weeks after its 3070 sibling, not this year. If was, in fact, released before the non-ti 3060.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

9 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I'm confused about what you're trying to say here. The 3060 ti was released in late 2020, only weeks after its 3070 sibling, not this year. If was, in fact, released before the non-ti 3060.

My bad. It turns out there are 3 versions of the 3060 Ti...

3060 Ti GA104 -> December 1st, 2020
3060 Ti GA103 -> February 23rd, 2022
3060 Ti GA104 GDDR6X -> October 19th, 2022

51 minutes ago, unnerfed cthun said:

ZtQQFNc.png

But anyone outside of the uber high-end gaming PC bubble can easily understand why the 1650 is so popular. An entry-level gaming laptop with a 1650 was basically the only reasonably priced option for a gaming computer throughout all of 2021 and the first half of this year. The average PC gamer actually spends much less money than what the media would suggest. Just look at the above graph: the 3070 was released 4 months earlier than the 3060 but it's not nearly as popular. It's actually closer to the 3060 Ti which was released this year, 15 months after the 3070. (wrong, check comment below)

About the CPUs: I'm willing to bet that the 6-core CPUs are actually Ryzens 1600 / 2600 / 3600 / 5600. The graph specifically says "Intel CPU Speeds".

By the way, I can tell no difference between 60 Hz and 75 Hz lol

imo 75 is even worse than 60hz on the main monitor. all content at 24, 30, 60fps become a stuttery mess.

i ran my 75hz monitor at 60hz after a few days.

Just wanted to point out that all the points towards "average" are off by a longshot.

You are NOT showing the average values in that steam survey. You are showing "Most people use this". 

In the example of CPU clocks, 20% use low clocks. That is not the average tho.

You could have 19% use 6ghz, another 19% use 5.9ghz etc.

Should look over that and clarify. ;-)

I'm rocking the 1650 and 16gb of ram, although the rest of my rig is about 7 years old 😞 

For the storage, pretty sure the "actual" "average" would be a SSD+HDD. And for anyone that *wants* a 2TB SSD, a SiPo is just $100. Or another $35 for a SN570.

As for the keyboard suggestion, what. Please please please, just spend the ~$45 a K582, way better experience than the cheapo keyboards (also, forget the m+kb combos, the mouse will just be ewaste beside the g502). The mouse suggestion is great, but why is the g502 wireless still so pricey 😫  

17 hours ago, unnerfed cthun said:

Yes but the 1650 mobile and 1650 desktop are very similar cards, especially when it comes to performance so it makes sense to lump them in together while with the 3060 there is a signficant performance discrepancy between the two with the 3060 mobile being close to a desktop 2060 in performance while the 3060 desktop is close to a desktop 2070.

14 hours ago, Focet said:

I'm rocking the 1650 and 16gb of ram, although the rest of my rig is about 7 years old 😞 

Don't feel bad, my twin Xeon system is from 2013 🙂

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

What's up with the mediocre self-built list at 7:09? Was this is a case of "just use what you can find in inventory"?

Pretty much ALL parts have better alternatives right NOW: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JGj9Zw

• 5600X: Take the regular 5600 (non-X) instead. Pretty much identical within like 1-2%, and $30 cheaper.
  • Why would you spend $145 on a B450 board when you can get a better, newer B550 board like the MSI B550-A Pro for cheaper..? You also don't risk needing a BIOS update as the B450 also doesn't have BIOS flash-back...
  • The Intel 670p was okay when it came out, but now has better alternatives like the Kingston NV2 or Teamgroup MP34. You could even save about $10 going with a slower Team MP33 or Silicon Power A60 as SSD speed really doesn't matter much for gaming PCs. 
  • The "MSI Mech 2X" have been reviewed pretty mediocre. Cheap plastic backplate, power limited, loud fans at high loads, and feels cheap.  I also don't see why they went with this one while you can get a better option from XFX with with a triple fan setup as well (see PCPartpicker link above).
  • For the power supply, (1) you REALLY don't need a 750W power supply for this mid-range PC, and (2) you can get a 650W, fully modular, A-tier Corsair RM-650 for $15 less (see list above). I really don't get this pick for the power supply... 
  • For the case, you can get the new Fractal Design Focus 2 for just $10 more with a modernized design and better fans. 
  • I'll leave it up to the individual, but if you're mainly concerned about value for money, just use the free version of Windows, it'll work just fine. There are many workarounds to remove the "Activate windows" watermark. With the money saved, you can drastically upgrade your graphics card to an AMD Radeon 6800 (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qHfFf7/powercolor-radeon-rx-6800-16-gb-fighter-oc-video-card-axrx-6800-16gbd6-3dhoc)

41 minutes ago, Embergoat1 said:

You also don't risk needing a BIOS update as the B450 also doesn't have BIOS flash-back...

B550 boards do not typically suport 5th gen ryzen out of the box unless there is a motherboard revision like there is for b450 boards (e.g. B450 tomahawk max and max II or a v2 etc.). So there is still the possibility you'll need a bios update before being able to install a 5th gen chip like the ryzen 5600 you mentioned.

On 12/27/2022 at 4:56 PM, AndreiArgeanu said:

Yes but the 1650 mobile and 1650 desktop are very similar cards, especially when it comes to performance so it makes sense to lump them in together while with the 3060 there is a signficant performance discrepancy between the two with the 3060 mobile being close to a desktop 2060 in performance while the 3060 desktop is close to a desktop 2070.

well depend on which version of 3060 for laptop , there is one limited to 75w , one limited to 95w and one limited to 105w or with 115w?

https://www.techspot.com/review/2193-geforce-rtx-3060-laptop/

On 12/26/2022 at 7:03 PM, Samm0 said:

Bro in finland gtx 1650 cost fucking 200

lucky you, here in Slovenia around 220, 250€

😄

• 3 weeks later...

It's interesting that last part about the 3060. I just upgraded my 1650 with a 3060, and saw that video a couple days later. I was able to get it in Japan for $275 and just take it home with me. 

it seems like a solid upgrade path. all the games so far that would get x fps at 1080p now get the same fps at 1440p with all the same settings.