PCs on desk or floor?

kennethk

My PC is luckily sizeable enough to sit on a desk, though I had it on the floor most of its life. Which do you prefer? Does it really matter to you if a PC is on the floor or does it have to be on your desk?

Unless the PC case is tiny I see no reason to have it on the desk at all, it's just a waste of desk space.

I've got this desk on wheels for moving heavy crates for like 10eur and it's the best thing I've done for my PC case, it's so easy to move it around when I need to clean or access the rear side.

image.png.f0567750174e74f430c3b62034539c29.png

14 minutes ago, kennethk said:

My PC is luckily sizeable enough to sit on a desk, though I had it on the floor most of its life. Which do you prefer? Does it really matter to you if a PC is on the floor or does it have to be on your desk?

Its 6 or half a dozen really unless your PC draws significant air from the bottom and its sitting on carpet which might impede the fans.

Most of my home PCs sit at low level. Not directly on the floor but on a shelf a couple of cm above carpet / floor level. I've also got a few office PCs (Del Optiplex) that are pretty small and sit at desk height.

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Unless the PC case is tiny I see no reason to have it on the desk at all, it's just a waste of desk space.

I've got this desk on wheels for moving heavy crates for like 10eur and it's the best thing I've done for my PC case, it's so easy to move it around when I need to clean or access the rear side.

I keep my pc on my desk so I can see the rgb and its easier to cable manage, there are less cables under your desk and what not.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

As long as it's not directly on carpet, its really up to you, dust settles more on the floor purely due to surface area, so it might get slightly dustier than if it was on your desk, but if you keep your room clean it won't really be that much different.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I've had it under the desk for a while now, and it's nice having more space on the desk. Although, it gets dusty quicker. One less thing to worry about making it look good 😁

🙂

I have a dog that sheds, nothing is safe at floor level.  

However, I'd have it on the desk regardless as I use the ports on both front and back regularly.  

I also just installed a new corsair AIO to go with my mouse and kb that I have set to a nice tranquil blue colour and I like looking at it. 

I use it on the floor personally, mainly due to lack of space on my desk.

On the bright side, keeps my legs warm when I'm playing some very taxing games

INITIALIZING:TRITEK//SPYR_CherryRevision

INITIALIZED

I like them on the floor. I use the Silverstone cases that have the inverted ATX mount design where the PSU is up top, but upside down. So no issue setting them on carpet.

On 12/23/2022 at 7:34 AM, kennethk said:

That was one of the design constraints that I had to build my desk to have it on the desk as I have carpeting and a dog, so it gets dusty on the floor pretty quickly. Therefore, I have it on my desk so I don't have to bend down and pull it out awkwardly/fumble with the rear connections. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Ideally desk nowadays since you all buy fancy glass with RGB. But I always put it on the ground since a kid, however, I would put it in a stand with wheels or something even if a piece of wood never directly into the ground.

I have a glass desk, so, being worried about vibrations over time damaging the glass, I leave mine on a case riser that's on the floor. It's actually a foot stool I made in HS wood shop, but we have no other use for it, so my PC lives on it. If I had space, I would get a free standing server rack and some 4U cases and go that route, but I really do not have the room for that. o.x

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I use to leave the tower on the floor but after a mishap with a cat and a opened bottle of beer I moved it up onto a table and its been there ever since.

If you were ever curious, Yes your computer tower can drink a whole beer and keep on running through a competitive gaming session.

Mine's too big to fit on my desk, so I have it sitting on top of a cardboard box about 30cm off the floor so that the power supply isn't sucking up dust off the carpet.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Age old question. Those who have fancy lights and window want to see/present their, so its either on desk or very near at visible location. Those who don't have space on desk, or do not care, have it on floor. And then there are those who think outside the box. Either having it on shelf next to desk, bolted to wall, built as part of table itself. Or:

On 12/23/2022 at 2:52 PM, WereCat said:

Same. I have had it on old office holder (steel) for 5 years now. Before that, it was hanging under the table. At the moment, its hidden so far that I have to reach for power button. Not optimal, but works until I can upgrade to smaller case.

23 hours ago, Sarra said:

I have a glass desk, so, being worried about vibrations over time damaging the glass, I leave mine on a case riser that's on the floor. It's actually a foot stool I made in HS wood shop, but we have no other use for it, so my PC lives on it. If I had space, I would get a free standing server rack and some 4U cases and go that route, but I really do not have the room for that. o.x

What kind of glass shatters from vibrations coming from PC? Those are mild compared to many other types of vibrations. Like subwoofer. Glass, unless really, really thin, is not that brittle. Just don't hit it with anything sharp and pointy and you are fine (my brothers coffee table shattered when cat tree fell on it).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

19 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

What kind of glass shatters from vibrations coming from PC? Those are mild compared to many other types of vibrations. Like subwoofer. Glass, unless really, really thin, is not that brittle. Just don't hit it with anything sharp and pointy and you are fine (my brothers coffee table shattered when cat tree fell on it).

I have a VISIO monitor stand, 4 monitors, a steam deck, and some other stuff on this desk. The floor in the room is unstable, so people walking around makes the entire room shake. The desk shifts as well.

I guess I'm trying to say that this poor glass desktop has a lot of static load, adding too much dynamic stress on top of it might be too much for it, and since I have so much crap on it, I don't want it to break.

And yes, I'm looking for a replacement desk. The closest IKEA is a 5 hour drive away, so we'll have to see what I can find that will work. o.x

6 minutes ago, Sarra said:

I guess I'm trying to say that this poor glass desktop has a lot of static load, adding too much dynamic stress on top of it might be too much for it, and since I have so much crap on it, I don't want it to break.

Saying that out front is more in line of reality than HDD spinning causing any glass to shatter. Unless its made in Hollywood.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

Saying that out front is more in line of reality than HDD spinning causing any glass to shatter. Unless its made in Hollywood.

Thinking back, I did have a Dell Optiplex SFF sitting on the glass for around 2 years. I think now it's more a problem with available space. My Steam Deck takes up the space my Optiplex used to occupy. It also didn't have any fans, except the PSU fan and CPU HSF. Then it only had the CPU HSF... And then died, and I recycled it. I think that will be my last true SFF system for a long, long, time, unless I get a Minisforum or Beelink machine, but that will get sandwich mounted on my monitor stand behind a monitor.

avoid directly placing the case on the floor, it should be raised off carpets and on a flat hard surface to allow air flow. Is where you place the case a dust magnet is something else you should be concerned about.

I have a huge case on the floor.  The only issue is it makes the house uncomfortably hot in the summer.  When I was nearly 100% work at home, I placed a fan under the desk as well to blow it out.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

I've done both, including with my current PC. In one setup, I had it on a desk because it was easier to access that way and it kept it away from all the dog hair, and the desk was just in the corner, used only to hold stuff, so it wasn't in my way or taking up valuable space. In another setup, I had it on the bottom shelf of a metal shelving unit, to raise it off the floor (carpet) some, plus I build a rotating stand to put it on to make it easier to access the rear and inside. In the next two setups, including currently, it's just been on the floor because that's what my setup allowed/allows for and I'm able to keep the floor clean enough, plus my case has good filtration. So it really depends a lot on the situation.

Generally, though, I'd say floor if desk space or noise are a concern if, as pointed out, you do so in a way that it won't become a Hoover. If you want to see it or have easy access, desk might be better, though floor right next to the desk can be just as good if done properly. One other thing to keep in mind is there is a slight temperature difference because hot air rises. So on the floor, it will be able to draw in slightly cooler air. Hardly enough of a difference to matter at all, though, and it also means the warm air it pushes out will likely affect you more, vs having it push that air out at a higher level.

Both can be fine under certain circumstances.

If a PC is placed on the floor, the power supply may need to be flipped so it's drawing air from inside the system if the floor is carpet. Another complication with putting them on the floor is dust intake is elevated especially if you have pets. But placing it on the floor isn't all disadvantages. If it's under the desk, the solid surface of the desk's top will block a lot of the noises that PC's make. Floor placement can also reduce the amount of heat radiating into your face/torso if the computer is closer to you.

Desk placement means the PC will be more audible, lights could be distracting, heat radiation may be annoying and it may take up a bit too much space on the desk. For me, desk placement has less advantages but the main one to me would be the close-up visibility of the components. Like with anything, some people prefer one and some the other option. I reckon a lot of the time the placement is chosen because of the aesthetic. That's how I do it.

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;

On 12/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, WereCat said:

it's just a waste of desk space.

i wouldn't call it waste if the "desk's" sole purpose is a place to put the pc on... but yeah, as long you don't have carpet or pets etc... btw is that an inwin case? 😮

20221101_170152.thumb.jpg.17604820766f4367bc03152e51234533.jpg

heres mine, space for my DS4 maybe a few external drives... 

small room too, i can't actually "afford " to put it in the floor, even though its oak, too risky,  id probably hit the poor thing constantly lol... 

ps: my actual desk is actually at the opposite site of the room... im not using it much, typically for laptop stuff, or pc parts/assembly, etc

20221029_161454.thumb.jpg.786067a9074e2acc176f852cd8c2c8d2.jpg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

My desk isn't very large so I keep it on the floor, I have vinyl flooring so it isn't an issue really. Used to keep it on carpet in my old house and i'd have to clean the dust out more often.

On 12/23/2022 at 4:34 AM, kennethk said:

All computers go on the floor unless the following conditions are met:

1) Your desk is solid wood, or steel. eg it's heavy enough by itself that it will not warp from weight or temperature of the computer.

2) Your floor is not carpet or linoleum. Carpet is nasty for computers to with air-intakes on the bottom, but Linoleum is worse because it will deform from a heavy computer being on it, and that will cause bottom vents to become blocked.

3) You have room for it

If you have a hardwood floor, tile floor, or a cement* floor, the PC is better off on the floor for cooling reasons. Heat rises, and when people put PC's inside "desk"'s the cooling suffers greatly. If you have something like a loft desk, where the "desk" portion isn't solid (eg it's just straight particleboard/plywood) then there should be nothing but the monitor and computer screen on the desk. The computer will be too heavy and potentially make the desk collapse. The same goes for IKEA computer desks. These IKEA type furniture is all particleboard or aluminum, and are not strong enough by themselves to have a 20lb+ computer on it.

* A cement floor is potentially abrasive, only put a computer on a bare cement floor if it's been sealed or painted. Even then you are better off putting it on wheels so the case isn't close to the floor.

While on the same topic, if you have a heavy desk, you should have your monitors on VESA mounts if you're putting you computer on the desk. Because that gives you more room on the actual desk itself. The key reason why you put the computer on the desk when it's a heavy desk is due to cable lengths being usually too short to "cable manage" because you usually only have 3-6' for cables like your GPU. So you usually trade off one problem for the other. It's easier to reach the HDMI and USB ports when it's on the desk, so a VESA mount makes sense then. If you are putting the computer on the floor, then usually there will not be sufficient cable lengths for USB and HDMI devices to reach the computer unless they're directly over top of it. Many heavy desks that aren't designed to have computers on top of it, will not have cut-outs in the desk for cable management. 

In general, you can work around the cable lengths (I have a bunch of USB stuff above the computer monitors while the computer is on the floor) but not every device will like being put on extension cables or hubs to do so. When you need a "webcam" above the monitor and your free USB ports are at the bottom slot of the computer, you can see how that becomes rather obnoxious.