Help identifying an older eSATA NAS/DAS?

I have a couple of old NAS/DAS that are eSATA and can't find a manufacturer or any identifying information on them. They came with an eSATA card that is a Sonnet Tech product, unfortunately Sonnet Tech support says they don't know who made them. They appear to be from the same manufacturer. I did find a list of NAS manufacturers and went through each one's support pages looking for a match or something even close. After a year, it is time to ask experts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Working on putting these in the farm's shop using several old hard drives from previous computers and to backup current computers.

Thanks in advance.

04.jpg

05.jpg

4 minutes ago, a_manifestation said:

I have a couple of old NAS/DAS that are eSATA and can't find a manufacturer or any identifying information on them. They came with an eSATA card that is a Sonnet Tech product, unfortunately Sonnet Tech support says they don't know who made them. They appear to be from the same manufacturer. I did find a list of NAS manufacturers and went through each one's support pages looking for a match or something even close. After a year, it is time to ask experts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Working on putting these in the farm's shop using several old hard drives from previous computers and to backup current computers.

Thanks in advance.

04.jpg

05.jpg

Do you have pictures of the bottom, usually there is some sort of sticker there that might give clues.

have you checked the date on those drives? you might be putting a lot more work into something thats far easier to just replace with an very small and cheap solution these days

Old hardware and a lot of effort for something no longer supported....if you have USB3 or better would it not be better to just get a single WD Easystore or something?

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 12/7/2022 at 4:09 PM, BiotechBen said:

Do you have pictures of the bottom, usually there is some sort of sticker there that might give clues.

Sorry, no stickers on bottom or back. Well, just these small Made in China stickers and the barcode. No names. Didn't see any name on the board inside either. I have not opened them to see it the larger board has a name on it.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

These look like some of the DAS or drive hot swapping units we have sold before. The 4 bay one looks different than some we have used. The brand names I can find are Copystars.com and ily.com. Look up other CD, DVD, and SATA drive duplicator manufacturers also. Most pricier DAS RAID solutions don't use universal 5.25" bay trayless SATA bays like these, usually they use drive trays and built in bays, but the duplicator brands do.

I wanna know what's up with the RCA jacks?  

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Those are the most generic external enclosures I've ever seen. There's probably a sticker that says ACME on them somewhere!

38 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I wanna know what's up with the RCA jacks?  

My first guess is they're meant for the analog audio outputs on the back of a CD-ROM drive. That wasn't uncommon back in ye olde days.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

My first guess is they're meant for the analog audio outputs on the back of a CD-ROM drive. That wasn't uncommon back in ye olde days.

But they're SATA, SATA optical drives never did analog audio output.  (Even later IDE drives abandoned it.)

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

13 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

But they're SATA, SATA optical drives never did analog audio output.  (Even later IDE drives abandoned it.)

That's an old enclosure design, looks mid-to-late 90s to me. They probably just stuck newer controllers into it without updating the tooling.

I've seen disc duplication towers from companies like Disc Makers which look a lot like that.

I'm kind of surprised they're still in there, they could have been blanked off or just covered with a sticker. Maybe this was retrofit at one point.

@a_manifestationWhat does the inside of these things look like?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 4:18 PM, Needfuldoer said:

That's an old enclosure design, looks mid-to-late 90s to me. They probably just stuck newer controllers into it without updating the tooling.

I've seen disc duplication towers from companies like Disc Makers which look a lot like that.

I'm kind of surprised they're still in there, they could have been blanked off or just covered with a sticker. Maybe this was retrofit at one point.

@a_manifestationWhat does the inside of these things look like?

I haven't opened them up beyond pulling out the drive trays. They are all similar. I will see if I can open up one of them.

I actually have three of these. I have a 2 bay, 4 bay, and an 8 bay. The 4 bay and 8 bay are identical in design except the 8 bay has 2 eSATA connections. I will take more pictures this weekend when I go out to the farm. I'll open them up and take pics of the insides as well.

Sorry for the delay on replies. I am packing to move out to the farm, trying to do things around the farm, spending time with my elderly mother who will also be moving soon, and juggling life in general.

My goal is to put a wifi mesh antenna on my amateur radio tower and get some wifi around the farm. Would be nice to share Internet between old farm house, my house, shop, and out buildings. Especially for security cameras.

Thanks again for all the replies.
-Robert

Well, I opened them up today and took pictures. There is a small control board with the eSATA connection on the back and several SATA connections inside. There is also a power supply inside each system to run things. That is about all there is.
All the photos are from the top except the 8 bay system, I had to take it from the side.

I am hoping to get it to connect to a computer on my network and use it to back up things. Mostly old files, photos, videos, and game mods. Just more of an archive than anything actively being used.

Maybe we can figure out who made them and figure out how to get them recognized?
Thanks for all the input from everyone.
-Robert

2baydrives.jpg

2baysystem.jpg

4baysystem.jpg

8baysystem.jpg

15 minutes ago, a_manifestation said:

Maybe we can figure out who made them
-Robert

2baydrives.jpg

Right in the first picture. Icy dock. 

On 12/30/2022 at 6:37 PM, Blue4130 said:

Right in the first picture. Icy dock. 

Thank you.
I have reached out to get any info on them. Hopefully I can get them hooked up and use them.

Thanks again to everyone's input.
-Robert