RTX 3070 with Ryzen 5 3600, should I upgrade CPU?

91keno

I've recently upgraded my GPU from 2060 to 3070, and I'm not seeing that much of an improvement, or at least what I was expecting. I was wondering if maybe my CPU is bottlenecking GPU, and would Ryzen 7 5800x be good upgrade regarding that? Ryzen 7 5800x3d is bit out of my range right now. 

And aslo I have 2x8 gb 3200 RAM. 

Games I've played since upgrading GPU are warzone 2 and iracing mostly. 

is the performance you are getting rn not enough? if so then make sure you have a cpu bottlneck by checking if gpu usasge is at 95-100 persent if it is then it is a gpu bottlneck.

I mean performance is not horrible but I expected more, and also it almost does not matter which settings I use in warzone 2. I gain very little FPS by lowering the settings. I guess the game is not optimized quite well, but in iracing which runs in very old engine if I put higher setting my FPS would fall under 80 if there are many cars around me. 
Thanks for advice, I will check CPU and GPU usage. Any good program for that or task manager is enough? 

3 minutes ago, 91keno said:

I mean performance is not horrible but I expected more, and also it almost does not matter which settings I use in warzone 2. I gain very little FPS by lowering the settings. I guess the game is not optimized quite well, but in iracing which runs in very old engine if I put higher setting my FPS would fall under 80 if there are many cars around me. 
Thanks for advice, I will check CPU and GPU usage. Any good program for that or task manager is enough? 

That game is sh.. an get's almost worse with every update. You want to compare with more stable games. Something to note as well, after switching GPUs, even from the same brand, you should DDU and freshly install new drivers. 

I would. 5th gen is quite cheap right now and may get more expensive in the future. 

Good time to upgrade and there are some and will be more bottlenecks 

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Msi afterburner has a good monitoring section that you can reference after doing some gaming to see if your cpu or gpu is hitting the limit first.  

I'm guessing your cpu is maxed out, can it be overclocked? 

My friend upgraded his 3700x to the 5800x3d. He also has a 3070. 
His framerates are higher (at least +10 fps in most games) and there's noticeably less "lag" for him when playing VR games.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I upgraded from a 3600x to 5800x and it's crazy good. In some instances the 6900xt was limited by the 3600x so it may be worth looking into although I didn't notice my old 2080 being bottlenecked so there's that.

My FPS in Warzone went from not being able to sustain 120FPS with drops to 70FPS to almost never dropping under 130FPS by going from 3900X to 5800X3D.

The game still stutters in the plane cutscene and during parachuting but then it runs smooth as butter. 

I would like to compare with friends 5800X but one of them has GTX 1070 and other RX 580 so they are heavily GPU bound anyways. 

I went from a 3600XT to a 5600X and it was a crazy difference. Zen 2 is slow.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

I've done some testing with msi afterburner app and my CPU doesn't go beyond 60% of utilization. GPU is somewhere around 60 and 80% in rare occasions it goes to 90% or beyond that. RAM is about 7200 out of 16gb. So it looks like that everything works as it should because from my understanding if the CPU is bottlenecking than it would be utilized 100% and GPU be significantly lower than that? 

I am bit confused because there aren't many differences if I change the settings to low or put resolution to 1080p. I guess the game runs like that...

14 hours ago, 91keno said:

I've done some testing with msi afterburner app and my CPU doesn't go beyond 60% of utilization. GPU is somewhere around 60 and 80% in rare occasions it goes to 90% or beyond that. RAM is about 7200 out of 16gb. So it looks like that everything works as it should because from my understanding if the CPU is bottlenecking than it would be utilized 100% and GPU be significantly lower than that? 

I am bit confused because there aren't many differences if I change the settings to low or put resolution to 1080p. I guess the game runs like that...

Unfortunately that is not really how it works. 

A CPU bottleneck is easy to detect if you are at 100% with it and less with the GPU, but I had the similar but different situation with a Xeon 1230 and a 1050ti. The CPU was basically always at around 80% and my 1050ti was also at that usage, but after upgrading to a 3600 my usage for the GPU went to 100% and drastically increased FPS. 
If your GPU isn't at 100% you have a bottleneck and it is most likely your CPU. 

I mean if you play something like Elder Scrolls Online or any other unoptimized mess, it may be the game's problem. You should use a benchmark tool like 3D Mark and look at the usage there. 

Whatever you do, 60% GPU usage is insanely low and either is caused by Vsync or other frame-capping OR a hard CPU bottleneck

Sorry, I wish I could be more specific here, but it is hard to diagnose something like this with very little information on what you are exactly doing.  And lastly, a CPU at 100% would mean a system lock-up basically and would be very unsusual. The actual indivdual performance of each core is also a major factor, especially due to the fact that many (not all) games run on 4-6 cores and we often have something like 12 threads or more available. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

honestly... for most games its probably not worth it, yes its better but not by much.

i did superposition benchmark,  1080p high... i got a better score with the 3600 vs the 5800X3D... a tiny bit embarrassing/ disappointing...

however i bought it because its an 8 core and because ive been expecting it to be better for emulation/ cpu intensive titles, and so far, im not really disappointed,  emulation *does* feel smoother for sure... didn't really test much else yet though,  but again,  overall for most tasks, the difference will probably be minimal. 

On 12/6/2022 at 11:50 PM, freeagent said:

I went from a 3600XT to a 5600X and it was a crazy difference. Zen 2 is slow.

but in what!? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

it sure beats the hell out of the 3600 in cinebench thats for sure! (and as said before emulation never felt so smooth)

i have a hunch it'll be good in something like ROTTR or HZD those are cpu hogs...

On 12/6/2022 at 10:11 PM, 91keno said:

mean performance is not horrible but I expected more,

complete opposite for me, i was blown away how good the 3070 is even with my old 3600...

as plain as possible:  the 3600 will not bottleneck a 3070 in "most" games, but there are possibly a few exceptions. its really an edge case.

(i havent found a single one though,  except some emulators) 

Also TBH its so easy to check... afterburner... show *all* cores... if you see just 1 core at 99-100% thats a cpu bottleneck 100%. if you don't,  there is no cpu bottleneck. 🤔

3 hours ago, mapegl said:

60% is insanely low

for cpu usage? uh, most games i play barely go above 10 lol...

(and yes as i said multiple times there are definitely exceptions) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 12/6/2022 at 5:26 PM, WereCat said:

My FPS in Warzone went from not being able to sustain 120FPS with drops to 70FPS to almost never dropping under 130FPS by going from 3900X to 5800X3D.

The game still stutters in the plane cutscene and during parachuting but then it runs smooth as butter. 

I would like to compare with friends 5800X but one of them has GTX 1070 and other RX 580 so they are heavily GPU bound anyways. 

That game is such a stutter nightmare lol

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

for cpu usage? uh, most games i play barely go above 10 lol...

...I meant the GPU.  I thought that would be kind obvious. Nobody cares if you have 10 or 80% cpu usage when gaming as it doesn't tell you anything about how many fps or how consistent the experience is (as long as you don't run a million background tasks).  You need some (4, ideally at least 6) decently fast cores, ideally with HT or SMT.

I mean you could have a dual-xeon system with percentages being in the single digits with awful performance for gaming....that doesn't mean anything really. 

I stand by my original assessment. The 3600 is a bottleneck for the RTX 3070 @1080p, less so at higher resolutions. That means you can expect to lose about 20% quite often. If that doesn't matter to you, which is totally fine, then keep the system as is. 

My RX 6700 isn't as fast, but the 3600 still creates a small bottleneck, but I do not care, especially because I play at 1440p.

Moreover, the price difference at the moment is very small and an upgrade would be very affordable, which may and most likely will change in the future as availability becomes worse. Heck, even a 5700x is only 200bucks. 

Just one video (found several) where they show that at 1080p there is a significant bottleneck. Battlefield 5 sees 75% usage of the GPU at times, which I personally would not want. That means you could have just bought a 3060 instead.

Thank you all for reply. I'm probably getting new CPU tomorrow or the day after. I'm gonna go with Ryzen 7 5800x because 500x3d is out of my budget for now. I'm planing to go to AM5 socket next year so I guess I will be good with 5800x until then. 

I'll keep you updated with results when I put new CPU just for some future reference in case someone needs it. 

Ok I just wanted to keep you updated. So I bought 5800x and did some WZ2 gaming last night and I can confirm that I'm getting somewhere around 20-30 FPS more. FPS actually changes with changing settings and resolution and MSI afterburner shows 90+% of GPU utilization and 30-40% of CPU. 

So anyone having similar issue in future this can be useful. Is it worth of upgrading CPU it's up to you but for me it definitely is. When I was thinking about buying 3070 ai didn't expect that 3600 will bottleneck it since it's not that old CPU, and maybe if I knew that I wouldn't even consider upgrade at the first place. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2022 at 8:14 PM, 91keno said:

Ok I just wanted to keep you updated. So I bought 5800x and did some WZ2 gaming last night and I can confirm that I'm getting somewhere around 20-30 FPS more. FPS actually changes with changing settings and resolution and MSI afterburner shows 90+% of GPU utilization and 30-40% of CPU. 

So anyone having similar issue in future this can be useful. Is it worth of upgrading CPU it's up to you but for me it definitely is. When I was thinking about buying 3070 ai didn't expect that 3600 will bottleneck it since it's not that old CPU, and maybe if I knew that I wouldn't even consider upgrade at the first place. 

Can you do a test in warzone? I also do have a an RTX 3070 and a ryzen 5 3600, and the game never goes up more than 90 fps, GPU is just at 40-50% usage. I am planning though in ryzen 7 5800x3d, I just wanted to know how how a 5800x perform using RTX 3070