Linus said the LTT Screwdriver would work for automotive work, Clearly it doesn't work for that, 0/10

Jordaneer

Did you loosen them, prior to using the LTT screwdriver? Otherwise any manual screwdriver in the world, won't unscrew those lug nuts, it's impossible to apply so much force by hand using a screwdriver. I've had my fair share of work on cars and I know quite a few car mechanics. This is the first time I've read/seen someone attempting to remove lug nuts with a manual screwdriver. 100% certain that the screwdriver is not the culprit in this case. Honestly, I hope you are joking.

My late dad would come back from afterlife and smack my head with a hammer if I try to loosen or tighten car's tire lugnuts using a screwdriver.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

if ltt is serious about this being useful for automotive,

they need to add that wrench thing to get extra torque on the shaft

42 minutes ago, fpo said:

I hope you do know that there are countless tools that you use when working in automotive. There isn't a universal tool, that can be used for doing everything. The LTT screwdriver can definitely be used in automotive, but for specific tasks/repairs which require common logic and common sense. Judging by what some have written so far, I wouldn't be surprised if people started complaining that the LTT screwdriver is not good in automotive, because it doesn't charge the battery and it doesn't fill up the fuel tank.

5 minutes ago, Alex T88 said:

I hope you do know that there are countless tools that you use when working in automotive.

duh...

5 minutes ago, Alex T88 said:

There isn't a universal tool, that can be used for doing everything. The LTT screwdriver can definitely be used in automotive, but for specific tasks/repairs which require common logic and common sense. Judging by what some have written so far, I wouldn't be surprised if people started complaining that the LTT screwdriver is not good in automotive, because it doesn't charge the battery and it doesn't fill up the fuel tank.

Sometimes you really need a little extra torque with a screwdriver fixing all kinds of things.

I think the LTT screwdriver could benefit from some kind of addition to allow users to put in some extra torque.
Removing wheels without an air drill is definitely over the top, but there's other screws in many applications that sometimes need some convincing, but don't need a power tool.

4 minutes ago, fpo said:

duh...

Sometimes you really need a little extra torque with a screwdriver fixing all kinds of things.

I think the LTT screwdriver could benefit from some kind of addition to allow users to put in some extra torque.
Removing wheels without an air drill is definitely over the top, but there's other screws in many applications that sometimes need some convincing, but don't need a power tool.

To be honest, I've never perceived the LTT screwdriver as a tool that is to be used when high force is required. For instance, I see it fit in lighter tasks, like changing a car battery or the air filter for that matter. Recently I upgraded the windscreen washer nozzle for my car. The LTT screwdriver I think, would have been perfectly suited for that job. A couple of months back I had to replace the motor for the driver's door window, which stopped working. Quite a lot of screws there, more than I expected. Again, a suited task for the LTT screwdriver. A year ago, I upgraded a module and the main console, so that I could finally have CarPlay. So there are plenty of instances where you can use it in automotive. Just not something that requires a lot of force or heavy duty stuff. Which, in my opinion is only normal, considering it's a screwdriver after all and it's main purpose, as advertised is mostly for building/servicing computers, electronics, etc

7 minutes ago, Alex T88 said:

To be honest, I've never perceived the LTT screwdriver as a tool that is to be used when high force is required. For instance, I see it fit in lighter tasks, like changing a car battery or the air filter for that matter. Recently I upgraded the windscreen washer nozzle for my car. The LTT screwdriver I think, would have been perfectly suited for that job. A couple of months back I had to replace the motor for the driver's door window, which stopped working. Quite a lot of screws there, more than I expected. Again, a suited task for the LTT screwdriver. A year ago, I upgraded a module and the main console, so that I could finally have CarPlay. So there are plenty of instances where you can use it in automotive. Just not something that requires a lot of force or heavy duty stuff. Which, in my opinion is only normal, considering it's a screwdriver after all and it's main purpose, as advertised is mostly for building/servicing computers, electronics, etc

I can see that. 

I don't really see screwdrivers differently from each other. 

Kinda like that meme

"screwdriver is screwdriver"

52den0.thumb.png.50f588d9794501e6c172e396b0fedc8f.png

For $70, I think if it has to be babied as a tool, it's not worth buying. 

Obviously, don't throw it out of the car on the highway, but I should be able to drop it and it should survive smashes. 

4 minutes ago, fpo said:

I don't really see screwdrivers differently from each other. 

I can totally understand where you are coming from, and in general, I agree. However, there are high precision, somewhat niche screwdrivers which literally cost thousands of dollars a piece. My father, as a hobbyist wristwatch repairer has invested a few thousand euro, only in his screwdrivers. And they are not even close to what high end can cost. I can't speak of it yet, but from what others have said and from the reviews, the LTT screwdriver is great, especially for $70. 

32 minutes ago, Alex T88 said:

I can totally understand where you are coming from, and in general, I agree. However, there are high precision, somewhat niche screwdrivers which literally cost thousands of dollars a piece. My father, as a hobbyist wristwatch repairer has invested a few thousand euro, only in his screwdrivers. And they are not even close to what high end can cost. I can't speak of it yet, but from what others have said and from the reviews, the LTT screwdriver is great, especially for $70. 

Yeah watch repair is definitely in a league of its own. 

The LTT driver does specify it's designed for computers, but I see it as a toolbox disguised as a screwdriver. 

With boasts of such excellence in design it comes off that it can do anything any regular screwdriver can do but also other things

49 minutes ago, fpo said:

For $70, I think if it has to be babied as a tool, it's not worth buying. 

Obviously, don't throw it out of the car on the highway, but I should be able to drop it and it should survive smashes. 

It doesn't have to be babied, there was an event where people tried to twist the screwdriver as much as they could, couldn't break it.

1 hour ago, fpo said:

True, but in that case I would reach for my chunky harbor freight screwdriver. The LTT screwdriver is primarily designed for computer work – not that it can't handle hard work, but you shouldn't be buying it if you want to take off lug nuts 😄

And it was designed to compete with the Snap-on orange ratcheting screwdriver, which also doesn't have a spot for a wrench for torque.

Also, in general, for high torque applications you do not want to use a ratcheting screwdriver. Solid shaft, or even those 1/4" hex bit to square drive adapters, is for that.

My build: | CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 1200 OC 3.8 GHz Ryzen 5 3600 | CPU COOLER - Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 MasterLiquid ML280 Mirror | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti | MOBO - Asus ROG Strix X370-F Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero | RAM - GeIL RGB 2400 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 2x8GB | SSD - R.I.P. Corsair Force MP500 M.2 120GB Corsair Force MP510 M.2 960GB | CASE - Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Phanteks P500A RGB | PSU - Seasonic Focus+ Gold 550W | COOLING - Bunch of Rosewill 120mm fans | KEYBOARD - G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 | MOUSE - Cooler Master Devastator II MSI Clutch GM08 | MONITOR - Asus 27" VP279Q-P OC to 65hz, Gigabyte 27" M27Q 170Hz | OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

15 minutes ago, Manmeyco said:

It doesn't have to be babied, there was an event where people tried to twist the screwdriver as much as they could, couldn't break it.

True, but in that case I would reach for my chunky harbor freight screwdriver. The LTT screwdriver is primarily designed for computer work – not that it can't handle hard work, but you shouldn't be buying it if you want to take off lug nuts 😄

And it was designed to compete with the Snap-on orange ratcheting screwdriver, which also doesn't have a spot for a wrench for torque.

Also, in general, for high torque applications you do not want to use a ratcheting screwdriver. Solid shaft, or even those 1/4" hex bit to square drive adapters, is for that.

Yeah but it's easy to swap out the bits. 

If people really really tried breaking the ratchets as you said then it's likely strong enough for the applications I want to use it for. 

Still hand work, not power tool realm. Most of its use will not be high torque application but if you need a little extra torque, it's easier to grab a wrench than bust out the battery charger and wait for the drill/impact driver to be ready

Which then becomes a safety concern for yourself as well as the things you're working on using all that extra power

1 hour ago, fpo said:

If people really really tried breaking the ratchets as you said then it's likely strong enough for the applications I want to use it for.

Here's the video where they did that:

My build: | CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 1200 OC 3.8 GHz Ryzen 5 3600 | CPU COOLER - Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 MasterLiquid ML280 Mirror | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti | MOBO - Asus ROG Strix X370-F Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero | RAM - GeIL RGB 2400 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 2x8GB | SSD - R.I.P. Corsair Force MP500 M.2 120GB Corsair Force MP510 M.2 960GB | CASE - Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Phanteks P500A RGB | PSU - Seasonic Focus+ Gold 550W | COOLING - Bunch of Rosewill 120mm fans | KEYBOARD - G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 | MOUSE - Cooler Master Devastator II MSI Clutch GM08 | MONITOR - Asus 27" VP279Q-P OC to 65hz, Gigabyte 27" M27Q 170Hz | OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

1 hour ago, fpo said:

Most of its use will not be high torque application but if you need a little extra torque, it's easier to grab a wrench than bust out the battery charger and wait for the drill/impact driver to be ready

Which then becomes a safety concern for yourself as well as the things you're working on using all that extra power

Personally, I find it much easier to grab my drill or a proper socket wrench if I need more torque. It's hard to apply enough downward pressure to keep the screwdriver from camming out while your twisting it with a ton of torque.

And as long as you know your way around a drill, shouldn't be any safety concerns. A gentle trigger finger goes a long way.

10 minutes ago, NastyFlytrap said:

Yea, and then Jay dropped it and it broke. 
Saying it doesnt have to be babied because it survived one test is stupid. Silver bullet events and things are obscenely rare.

The screwdriver did not break. A plastic tab used for holding the bits broke off. Which is a major difference. The screwdriver was still 100% functional.

Implying that it does have to be babied because 1 guy managed to break off a plastic tab by dropping it, doesn't sound smart either. Plus, the "stupid test" you are referring to was made under much more amount of force than the screwdriver is rated for and that it will ever be subjected to under normal, common sense usage. So yeah, i think that's kind of relevant. Not to mention that the plastic tab breaking off could have been caused by a manufacturing defect.

30 minutes ago, Manmeyco said:

Personally, I find it much easier to grab my drill or a proper socket wrench if I need more torque. It's hard to apply enough downward pressure to keep the screwdriver from camming out while your twisting it with a ton of torque.

And as long as you know your way around a drill, shouldn't be any safety concerns. A gentle trigger finger goes a long way.

I'm not an auto mechanic but if I was I'd definitely have an ideal setup. 

When I need to fix stuff it's like "well it's broken now, so I need to fix it now."

If I owned power tools, it'd still be a chore to charge them. 

I don't want to wait around for it, I'd like to just get the work done with my hands. 

4 hours ago, fpo said:

There's a reason screwdrivers with changeable bits, including ratcheting ones, don't have hex bolsters. It's a bad idea to put that much torque on a shaft with a 1/4 inch hex hole through the end of it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

41 minutes ago, fpo said:

Come to heavy equipment. We have an escalation of force procedure that we use.

23231406_1535437856521840_73477072703772

The LTT screwdriver would slot right in before "Please come loose"

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Its certainly not ideal if that is a wide spread issue. Ive dropped mine a few times on the cement floor in my shop this week and so far its no worse for wear, but Im also talking a sample size of one here. I guess in the next few months as more make their way into the wild we will see if they hold up. It should be mentioned though that Jay apparently likes it as hes been using it in his videos since hes gotten it and I dont think hes taking behind the scenes money to have it in his videos lol

I have not had the chance to use mine yet but I do have a number of tools made of nearly the same plastic material as the handle. I know there are proprietary blends etc. but its fairly similar across the board. Its NOT indestructible. As with anything, it will break given right circumstances. Part of a premium price is the support you get after it breaks. Assuming its not from you trying to break it that is..... That support will be where some of the true tests come from. 

11 hours ago, fpo said:

When I need to fix stuff it's like "well it's broken now, so I need to fix it now."

If I owned power tools, it'd still be a chore to charge them. 

I don't want to wait around for it, I'd like to just get the work done with my hands. 

I'm definitely coming from a different perspective than you. I'm what you might call a "shade tree mechanic". See the truck in my profile photo? I've done a ton of work on it, on the engine, brakes, etc.

So I have a ton of different tools, which have overlapping purposes, but sometimes one is just what you need, and the other is just not enough. If I was using a screwdriver, and the screw or bolt was too tight, I would right away switch to my wrench. Still too tight, switch to the impact wrench. And so on.

I have a bunch of batteries, and permanently mounted chargers in my garage which almost always have a fresh battery on them ready to go.

I'm not saying this just to flex, I'm saying I realize I agree with you – if I had none of this, and was just trying to get something fixed now, the screwdriver I pull out of the drawer had better be good enough to do anything I might throw at it.

I've spoiled myself, though, so I take for granted now what I didn't have years ago.

Sometimes, even with all these fancy tools, a good old hand tool does the job better than anything else.

10 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Come to heavy equipment. We have an escalation of force procedure that we use.

23231406_1535437856521840_73477072703772

The LTT screwdriver would slot right in before "Please come loose"

There's a youtube channel called Torque Test Channel which does torque testing (surprise) on tools, they sell t-shirts and posters with that same expectations list: https://torque-test-channel.preview.teespring.com/listing/bolt-expectations-poster?product=623

It's funny but so true