Where is AMD heading?

Hey forum, 

just wondering, where do you think AMD will be heading in the future? I mean, with Maxwell around the corner on the GPU market and Intel having been ahead on the CPU market for quite a while now, can we expect AMD to continue producing enthusiast-grade components in the future, at all? 

It doesn't look like they are going to have a real answer for Maxwell and unless the prices drop heavily, I don't see how they are going to stay competitive on the discrete graphics market. And the CPU market? Well, AM3+ has been there for quite a while and the FX-series hasn't seen any significant improvements either.

To me it looks like AMD is planning to focus entirely on the APU and mobile market, pretty much excluding enthusiast grade hardware from their budget...  :(

I really hope they don't, but what do you think?

MORE CORES AND MORE APUS!

This ^ I think we wont see anything past the FX series when it comes to high end CPU's for a while. i think AMD really wants to just concentrate on the APU's at the moment

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I'm confident that AMD will pull through and do something for the enthusiast market to compete with Intel. I'm being optimistic lol... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

This ^ I think we wont see anything past the FX series when it comes to high end CPU's for a while. i think AMD really wants to just concentrate on the APU's at the moment

same way I see it. Sucks for those interested in more high-end parts, but APUs are a huge market and I guess there's a lot of money in there for AMD.

They are definitely wanting to improve APUs. Maybe they will create something really awesome like, an actually decently powerful APU. 

They are definitely wanting to improve APUs. Maybe they will create something really awesome like, an actually decently powerful APU. 

until they bring out an APU that can compete with a FX8350 and an R9 280X, I'm not impressed :D

I think they are heading for an all APU future but we'll see

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

until they bring out an APU that can compete with a FX8350 and an R9 280X, I'm not impressed :D

The amount of heat man, it would probably melt the world haha!

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Lets hope, one day it may appear before us. On a huge ass die of course :P 

I think they will be pushing HSA and I can see major improvements coming and smaller processors with carbon nanotube theoretically being able of reaching 4nm which will be insane when we get to that point

MORE CORES AND MORE APUS!

MOAR JIGAHERTZ

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

The amount of heat man, it would probably melt the world haha!

exactly, that's why they kinda need to start cutting down on those nanometers.

exactly, that's why they kinda need to start cutting down on those nanometers.

That's going to make the problem worse, at least for overclocking

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

That's going to make the problem worse, at least for overclocking

well they need to get more efficient and put out less heat, is what I'm saying :)

I fear that they have given up on the more high end.....its APUs. :-/

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

AMD  is keeping it cool

attachicon.gifHFO74cA.gif

loved that video :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

less heat? sorry but as far as i know intel cpu´s nowdays run alot hotter then AMD FX cpu´s lol :D

So why do they need to put out less heat?

There seems to be more money in the lower end and mobile market. It probably isn't worth it to them to invent in the high end/enthusiast cpu market again just yet. They must have something in the AMD skunkworks for the high end market, at least on paper. Or at least a small team working on something. I'm speculating that in Q3-Q4 2015 we might get something. Its been a while since the FX line has seen any action. They might be waiting for TSMC to iron out all the bugs on their 20nm process first.

To be optimistic : apus that out do fx CPUs in the near future.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

Excavator is still in the pipeline, and i would personaly not be supprised if this FX line, will be released on AM3+ ;)

Cause AM3+ boards 990FX have still all the bell's and wissle´s that todays intel Z87 boards have. Wenn the 990FX chipset boards came on the market in 2011, it was years ahead on intel. sata III native on the board, usb 3.0 native on the board, sli + CF native on the board. 40 pci-e gen 2 lanes, which is totaly the same as intels 20 pci-e 3.0 lanes on Z77 and Z87. its so hillarious if you think of that. :D

The reason the pricing is high on AMD cards is because they're selling!

They're still a good choice and in many cases represent a better value for money than an nvidia equivilant.

They won'd need to "answer to Maxwell" until their next generation of card is ready, which will probably represent a better value option for the enthusiast.

The reason the pricing is high on AMD cards is because they're selling!

They're still a good choice and in many cases represent a better value for money than an nvidia equivilant.

They won'd need to "answer to Maxwell" until their next generation of card is ready, which will probably represent a better value option for the enthusiast.

I can tell you i live in Europe as well and in the Netherlands Radeon cards are still much cheaper then theire direct Nvidia compatitors, that automaticly make them better value for money cards in my opinnion, for example the R9-290 and GTX780, the GTX780 is arround €50+ more expensive then the 290, and the 290 beats the GTX780 in most gaming benchmarks that ive saw sofar, and that for les money, you life in the UK, which is basicly the same story for pricing if im right? :D

I can tell you i live in Europe as well and in the Netherlands Radeon cards are still much cheaper then theire direct Nvidia compatitors, that automaticly make them better value for money cards in my opinnion, for example the R9-290 and GTX780, the GTX780 is arround €50+ more expensive then the 290, and the 290 beats the GTX780 in most gaming benchmarks that ive saw sofar, and that for les money, you life in the UK, which is basicly the same story for pricing if im right? :D

Precisely! :)