this is so mind fuucking

DearGreatLeader

how do you say "record"

theres 2 types of record

one you upload

one you jot down statistics

Well, not really. They both capture data and then send it somewhere, so it is the same meaning essentially.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

first time seeing a word with more than 1 meaning? :/

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Is he spamming or what.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

first time seeing a word with more than 1 meaning? :/

... N-..No.

Record

Pronounced Re-cord - to write something down.

Pronounced Re-curd - A disc such as a Vinyl Record. Curd as in how you would curdle milk.

I have always heard record when talking about things like Vinyl Records be pronounced almost like Wreckered. Rather than how you say you would record something.

For a disc, the ord part is pronounced urd. Like turd. (LOL). For an action, the ord part is pronounced as ord. Like in Gourd (except without the weirdness of the U doing nothing to the sound). 

There are other examples of words like this that make more sense. Here:

* Bow (The President should bow to the Japanese Prime Minister) vs. Bow (I need to tie a bow knot in my shoe lace)

* Read (I read a book) vs. Read (I will read a book)

* Dove (Is that a dove or a pigeon that has landed on my head?) vs. Dove (I dove into the icy waters)

* Wind (The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind) vs. Wind (I will wind up the toy so it will walk)

* Present vs. Present (I present to you this present)

Many words have different pronuncations in English based on whether they are a noun or a verb. Record (noun) vs Record (verb) is like this as well.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Mouse. Animal and computer peripheral, same pronunciation = double mind f**k?

i'm a potato

Isn't this a Homonym?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Here ya go, short answer quick not.

http://www.forvo.com/word/record/#en

LTT Recruit: Tacoma | Organization: UOLTT Conglomerate | Group: Salvage and Military | Fleet: Anvil Carrack, Aegis Retaliator and CO Mustang Omega

Appreciation to: artofinca.com | UOLTT Conglomerate on RSI and LTT

If you don't know what my avatar is, it's from: Silverhawks

Isn't this a Homonym?

No. They have to be pronounced the same to be a homonym.

It is however a homograph. Same spelling. But not a homophone. Same pronunciation.

Homonyms are both homographs and homophones.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Whats going on here :mellow:

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Okay, this isn't curiosity...this is spamming!

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

... N-..No.

Record

Pronounced Re-cord - to write something down.

Pronounced Re-curd - A disc such as a Vinyl Record. Curd as in how you would curdle milk.

I have always heard record when talking about things like Vinyl Records be pronounced almost like Wreckered. Rather than how you say you would record something.

For a disc, the ord part is pronounced urd. Like turd. (LOL). For an action, the ord part is pronounced as ord. Like in Gourd (except without the weirdness of the U doing nothing to the sound). 

There are other examples of words like this that make more sense. Here:

Many words have different pronuncations in English based on whether they are a noun or a verb. Record (noun) vs Record (verb) is like this as well.

In England we say record as in 'wreckord' for the 'vinyl record' useage and for 'making a record of something/writing something down' and record as in 'wrickord/wrickording' for the actual act of recording a sound or writing something down.

Your disc is 'urd' while mine is 'ord'.

The pronunciation varies by region, I don't think it's possible to write a definitive explanation for this that works for everyone and as a matter of fact I consider that pointing out the differences in pronunciation by region suffices as an explanation, it's just one of those foibles of our not completely phonetic language.

The English language. The 9th wonder of the world. The final frontier.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.