low tdp cpu(ill keep the 6600k) question now is about low wat gpu with 3x 1440p monitors...

i was wondering what the lowest tdp desktop cpu with the best performance is? and what best performance tdp gpu is? ill (keep my 6600k)

ok so the question is now what low wat gpu that can do 3 monitors running at 2560 x 1140 at 170hrz with dp or can do 120 with hdmi.

gpu atm is gtx 1080 winforce

monitor 3x gigabite m270

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

why are you wondering this? 

is it power costs, thermals for small form factor...

An intel NUC would probably be the way to go tbh if you are looking at best performance/watt 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

why are you wondering this? 

is it power costs, thermals for small form factor...

An intel NUC would probably be the way to go tbh if you are looking at best performance/watt 

just was thinking on building a low wat pc to save power but still be able to play some games. i dont play aaa games any more.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

While not the best, per se, I always use 65 watt TDP CPUs to get a nice, even balance of performance and energy usage. All of my most recently built systems were Ryzen 1600, 2600, 3700x, and 5600, respectively. They're affordable, easy to cool, and do what I need without being overkill.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

Most modern cpus llow for adjusting the tdp or power consumption. I wouldn't buy a low tdp cpu, just limit a normal cpu

Depending on how much performance you need ryzen 7000 and 13th gen are pretty efficent.

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

just was thinking on building a low wat pc to save power but still be able to play some games. i dont play aaa games any more.

Under low loads modern cpus will idle at pretty low power, so Id just get a lower in chip, like a i3 12100/12400 or 6 core ryzen.

Just now, Kid.Lazer said:

While not the best, per se, I always use 65 watt TDP CPUs to get a nice, even balance of performance and energy usage. All of my last systems were Ryzen 1600, 2600, 3700x, and 5600, respectively.

hmm i have a 6600k atm im guessing the newest cpus with the lower nm will be the best?

3 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

I mean like. Get a laptop.

No joke you can have all you need in a device that cant use over 120w od power no matter what you do 😛

4 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

While not the best, per se, I always use 65 watt TDP CPUs to get a nice and even balance of performance and energy usage. All of my last systems were Ryzen 1600, 2600, 3700x, and 5600, respectively.

i don't think there's a huge difference generally,  but may also depend on model etc.

my 3600 used like 110w or more (which surprised me and id need to look it up to be sure, it was definitely around 100) and my 5800x3d uses 125w... sure its more but not by all that much.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Under low loads

yeah... i understood the question the other way around,  it's obvious to me under low load pwr consumption is negligible. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

hmm i have a 6600k atm im guessing the newest cpus with the lower nm will be the best?

Do you need more performance? THe 6600k is a pretty low power chip, and newer ones wouldn't have a large power savings. Id keep your chip unless you need more performance.

I suggest getting a plug-in power meter like a Kill-a-Watt and seeing how much power your current system draws as it is. (Assuming it's otherwise fine performance-wise.)

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy all new PC parts if it's going to take years of runtime to make up for its purchase price in electricity savings.

If you want a cheap, low-power web browsing appliance, get a Chromebook.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

I suggest getting a plug-in power meter like a Kill-a-Watt and seeing how much power your current system draws as it is. (Assuming it's otherwise fine performance-wise.)

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy all new PC parts if it's going to take years of runtime to make up for its purchase price in electricity savings.

If you want a cheap, low-power web browsing appliance, get a Chromebook.

have one

room 003.jpg

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you need more performance? THe 6600k is a pretty low power chip, and newer ones wouldn't have a large power savings. Id keep your chip unless you need more performance.

no dont need the proforamce i was just thinking if i did buy a faster cpu then disable cores or something to lower it even more. i no that under volting can have stability problems.

Just now, thrasher_565 said:

no dont need the proforamce i was just thinking if i did buy a faster cpu then disable cores or something to lower it even more. i no that under volting can have stability problems.

From all the power tests ive done you won't gain much power savings going to a newer desktop platform. Those systems can idle ata sub 20w, and likely much of your power consumption is parts other than the cpu.

How much power rae you using now? Whats your full system specs?

If you want a signifanat power savings you will need to go to the low power class of cpus with a laptop or m1 mac mini or simmilar.

5950x is the most power efficient cpu to performance of all time according to gamers nexus, so u could go bios and limit that to what ever power u desire and it will perform the best 

limit it to 60w it will be the best performing cpu you can get at 60w ect 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

From all the power tests ive done you won't gain much power savings going to a newer desktop platform. Those systems can idle ata sub 20w, and likely much of your power consumption is parts other than the cpu.

How much power rae you using now? Whats your full system specs?

If you want a signifanat power savings you will need to go to the low power class of cpus with a laptop or m1 mac mini or simmilar.

atm just the tower no monitors at idle is 95w ish with a gtx 1080. i do have a rtx 3090 i will be using and an x299 witch is the opasit of power savings but that will be the gaming pc so i guess i dont need much for just a browsing pc...

Just now, thrasher_565 said:

atm just the tower no monitors at idle is 95w ish with a gtx 1080. i do have a rtx 3090 i will be using and an x299 witch is the opasit of power savings but that will be the gaming pc so i guess i dont need much for just a browsing pc...

What are the rest of the specs? Drives? PSU? Cooling? That can all all up pretty quickly.

That 1080 can chew up a reasonble amount of power at idle, esp with 2 displays. Id take it out and try using the igpu to see how much power is saved. Id guess a lot of that power is the gpu.

If you want to save some power on that PC for free, and you're not going to use it for gaming, just yank the 1080 and use the integrated graphics.

I still think buying newer desktop PC parts in pursuit of power efficiency is a waste of money. Even if you cut your idle power consumption in half, that's only 40 watts. Extrapolate that out with your cost of electricity in kilowatt-hours and you're probably looking at years of run time before you break even. If you want efficient, get a laptop or a Chromebox.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are the rest of the specs? Drives? PSU? Cooling? That can all all up pretty quickly.

That 1080 can chew up a reasonble amount of power at idle, esp with 2 displays. Id take it out and try using the igpu to see how much power is saved. Id guess a lot of that power is the gpu.

ya probly right say a 65w cpu so rest is gpu.

d15

psu corsair something... no other fans plugged in... just the 2 on the d15 with the low power resister. ssd

mb is a asus sabertooth z170 mark 1

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

If you want to save some power on that PC for free, and you're not going to use it for gaming, just yank the 1080 and use the integrated graphics.

I still think buying newer desktop PC parts in pursuit of power efficiency is a waste of money. Even if you cut your idle power consumption in half, that's only 40 watts. Extrapolate that out with your cost of electricity in kilowatt-hours and you're probably looking at years of run time before you break even. If you want efficient, get a laptop or a Chromebox.

so i have 3 monitors running at 2560 x 1140 at 170hrz with dp or can do 120 with hdmi. so i would need a low power gpu that can handle that.

3 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya probly right say a 65w cpu so rest is gpu.

d15

psu corsair something... no other fans plugged in... just the 2 on the d15 with the low power resister. ssd

mb is a asus sabertooth z170 mark 1

That 65w is only under max load. Its probably 5-10w at idle. 

You can get a good estimate of power usage using apps like hwinfo. 

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That 65w is only under max load. Its probably 5-10w at idle. 

You can get a good estimate of power usage using apps like hwinfo. 

hwinfo.png

37 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Most modern cpus llow for adjusting the tdp or power consumption. I wouldn't buy a low tdp cpu, just limit a normal cpu

Speaking on purely energy consumption, sure, but that's a terribly wasteful idea financially. Spending extra on a better binned, higher performing CPU and artificially limiting it is just silly. That's money you could have spent elsewhere.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

40 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i don't think there's a huge difference generally,  but may also depend on model etc.

my 3600 used like 110w or more (which surprised me and id need to look it up to be sure, it was definitely around 100) and my 5800x3d uses 125w... sure its more but not by all that much.

It depends heavily on BIOS settings too. A stock 65 watt ryzen CPU (from most generations) with no PBO or OC will draw right around 80 Watts. Once you start enabling things like PBO that all goes out the window. For reference, I also always run my CPUs bone-stock with stock(ish) coolers in small cases, so never have PBO enabled to save on thermals.

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig: