Wan show taken down October 14, 2022

TheBean
24 minutes ago, Hohne said:

It's not that this is difficult, it's more that it would probably result in people getting things delivered to the wrong address 1,000,000x more than it would help anyone with their extremely niche case. 

It could still show it in checkout, basically anywhere where you need it

but it shows when you would never need to see it and could lead to stuff like accidental doxxing

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I had things to do while watching WAN show today, as such, I have only watched the 1st 1/2 hr of the stream. However, after its conclusion, it has disappeared from my subs feed, the channel page, everywhere! @LinusTech @Slick what happened after the stream? I want to watch the replay 😣😭

Linus really needs to DUMMY stream with 60 second delay to a passthrough OBS so you can catch those slip up's with 60 seconds in there to buffer the reaction to these events so that dummy stream can be modded on the fly through the OBS with a full screen blur / sensitive info screen. It's a very simple fix and doesn't take jack all to do.

And no i'm not talking about 60 second buffer to live, i mean 60 second buffer to editor then it goes to live

current setup = person talks > goes live > 3+ min buffer
new setups = person talks > 60 second dummy stream to obs > editor censors the passthrough > live audience who has twitch / youtube / floatplane delay.

2 hours ago, Birblover12 said:

Amazon really should implement a streamer mode where things like addresses are hidden/blocked unless manually shown. Not just for live streams, but just in general I don't really see why your full address would need to be shown outside of checkout, maybe a chrome addon exists to do exactly that. If not, someone should make one lol.

Company policy is supposed to prevent Linus from doing that and Dan mentioned he's going to make changes to decrease the chances of Linus logging into his personal accounts on the WAN show https://old.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/y4bpcr/why_did_they_privateremove_todays_wan_show_while/isdjyby/?context=3

What sucks is that theres people out there who actually care that much to do something about it.

the man lives in a mansion in Vancouver, whoop de fucken doo.

37 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

I had things to do while watching WAN show today, as such, I have only watched the 1st 1/2 hr of the stream. However, after its conclusion, it has disappeared from my subs feed, the channel page, everywhere! @LinusTech @Slick what happened after the stream? I want to watch the replay 😣😭

Dan has stated that the video is processing on YouTube and Floatplane and will be up tomorrow. He edited to remove it from the video.

3 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

Dan has stated that the video is processing on YouTube and Floatplane and will be up tomorrow. He edited to remove it from the video.

It's back up on Floatplane already, not sure about YouTube. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

3 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

I was also a fair bit behind, but people on Reddit are saying that Linus showed his home address when he opened Amazon. That's not the first time he's leaked his new address on the WAN Show, so why he continues to use a computer that could potentially expose sensitive information is beyond me. 

No clue if that's actually what happened, but it wouldn't surprise me. 

He is using the designated show specific laptop according to Dan he's been chided before for logging into stuff on that laptop and Dan will make some changes to try and stop him from doing it again.

2 hours ago, Thomas A. Fine said:

I said something similar on Twitter, but it's actually a really hard problem.  Not unlike the hockey game AI ads they talked about earlier in the show.  But with a worse side-effect: if done badly, the redactions could actually  reveal the very things you're trying to keep secret.  Suppose Linus' address is  on "Main street", it would be a big tell if every document with "main" in it had the word "main" redacted.  An alternate implementation would be to not allow Linus to share his screen at all until possible violations are highlighted and reviewed.

But best practice would simply be to use a different laptop where he has no personal logins.  It creates more work, sharing things that are public to a secondary account for use on the WAN show, but it would dramatically lower the risks.

In theory the WAN specific laptop shouldn't have personal logins and Dan is planning to do safety measures to decrease the chance but, Linus broke the protocol and that's how we ended up here.

Like admittedly I get that it's hard to do the stuff properly and easy to mess up but the consequences for when he does mess up are pretty big this isn't uni students sending an email via personal email instead of school stuff.

I hope it returns. The RTFM show is canceled this weekend due to Jay having family time, and then I have to miss both my talkshows which is my quiet time on Saturdays. 

A very valid reason, though. Can't blame Linus for protecting his privacy 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

12 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

Can't blame Linus for protecting his privacy 

Except he didn't. It was his crew (i.e. Dan) that caught the issue and took action. Annoying for sure, but not the end of the world. Right? 😉

Anyway, kudos to Dan who's working late to edit the stream. It's 9AM local, so about midnight in Vancouver and YT still hasn't got the redacted version of the show online. Must be quite the upload then 😉

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

3 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Except he didn't. It was his crew (i.e. Dan) that caught the issue and took action. Annoying for sure, but not the end of the world. Right? 😉

The first part is what we in Denmark calls "Flies having intercourse" - in less polite manners 🙂

I don't mean it as an attack, just saying that it's a very minor detail that doesn't change the overall point in it being taken down to protect Linus' address. 

Apart from that. Yes. Definitely not the end of the world, I'm taking my kids to the theater later today, so I'll manage just fine. 

Still hope I can get to watch the WAN show for this week at some point though. It's my favorite vid of the week. 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

Giga conspiracy theory: Linus has ended up not being 100% happy with the house remodel. His 9000 IQ masterplan was to self dox his adress so they are forced to buy a new house and LTT can launch the "House remodel V2" content arc for the next 2 years. Now with even more swimmingpool, longer cables and working light switches. Also, in the new house will have face ID surveillance cameras so he can keep Dennis banned to prevent any damages to the new new house. 

Upcoming video titles:
This is why I don't trust painters

Anger at incompetent painters used to heat swimmingpool
Jake's streaming setup at the new House

How to RGB your dungeon - With Dan

Yupp, 100% plausible theory. 

Another problem is: The longer you wait to publish the wan show, the more people will investigate why the video isn't up and find out why... so more people that might want to look up for the address, even just out of curiosity.

2 minutes ago, brncrsh said:

Another problem is: The longer you wait to publish the wan show, the more people will investigate why the video isn't up and find out why... so more people that might want to look up for the address, even just out of curiosity.

Oh yea. The Streisand effect 

17 minutes ago, brncrsh said:

The longer you wait to publish the wan show, the more people will investigate why the video isn't up and find out why...

That's why I'm here...

33 minutes ago, brncrsh said:

Exactly why I’m here haha. I have no interest in his address and fully support is privacy; I just wanted to know where my Saturday morning ritual show had gone lmao

Oh, you never know how much it's become a part of your life, until it is suddenly whisked away, mid-stream.

I guess I'm not alone in saying this - Linus, you're just too good to be true LOL!

I was messing around with OBS, "Hide OBS windows from screen capture" was enabled, while recording, so, I had that part of the stream, but I deleted it immediately. It's in my head, though, LOL, locked away forever! ❤️

We love you, Linus!

This, IMHO, is a schoolboy mistake.

Mistakes happen, I have made more of my own than I can remember.

What concerns me though is that next week, Linus will laughingly brush this off with another condesending "Oops, my bad - how silly am I" recovery statement, gloss over it and move on to whatever next week's "force majeure" that he chooses to adopt is.

Unfortunately for me I don't have unlimited time in my day to hang on Linus' every word and simply patiently wait for his editors to fix his stuff up. I have a limited window in my life where I have the availability to watch the WAN show, which, don't get me wrong, I think is, for the most part an interesting and often humourous take on the week that was. But I will miss this one now. I simply don't have the time.

I find it ironic that as someone who goes to great lengths to call others out on basic errors, lapses in judgements etc (Artesian builds, Google, his home automation suppliers) - to then be found so openly wanting like this is actually a great shame. It smacks to me of the "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude of an immature parent.

I know for a fact Linus will not give a care in the world of my views as he he has millions of subscribers and I know he will never read this. He has rightfully earned those subscribers and I do not judge hime or anyone else for that.

I do, however, choose to get my Weekly Analysis and News from other sources moving forward.

Best of luck Linus - please, at the very least, learn from this.

Someone needs to tell him to wake up and smell the roses.

I honestly look forward to the WAN show, it's about the only tech related podcast I watch, and even tend to view it over a few days. I'm in the UK so I look forward to it on a Saturday morning.

Oh well at least Dan's on the case.

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

Funny nobody from Linus's timezone is present or nobody there is watching the stream.

At GMT+3, I will probably never watch it live.

Thread cleaned. Please treat others with respect.

Community Standards:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 hours ago, TheLastSeeker said:

Linus really needs to DUMMY stream with 60 second delay to a passthrough OBS so you can catch those slip up's with 60 seconds in there to buffer the reaction to these events so that dummy stream can be modded on the fly through the OBS with a full screen blur / sensitive info screen. It's a very simple fix and doesn't take jack all to do.

And no i'm not talking about 60 second buffer to live, i mean 60 second buffer to editor then it goes to live

current setup = person talks > goes live > 3+ min buffer
new setups = person talks > 60 second dummy stream to obs > editor censors the passthrough > live audience who has twitch / youtube / floatplane delay.

I would bet that, combined with a buffer, an AI could be developed that could auto blur personal information. Not necessarily as something to rely upon, but as a last line of defense. 

It would be nice for long form content like this, if YouTube could allow just the video feed to be blocked, but still allow the audio. This would make it easy to fix slip ups, while still allowing access to the core content in the meantime. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Hi,

I usually catch the WAN show as a VOD on Youtube, but today it is unavailable anywhere apart from FloatPlane.

image.png.e90183b6fb467f3b803b54630412e081.png

image.png.e004a94068c9927083ecbe930ed7254e.png

If i have posted in the wrong section, i am sorry.

Last night i was in bed listening to Linus and Luke on the wan show. I feel asleep at some point during the Wan show (4am local time) and wanted to watch/listen to the rest of the show today, but its missing on YT.
The video is not saved on Twitch, and its not on YT, YT even claimed that the video i was watching was a Wan show from August. Was i dreaming? The wan show was about the unlaunch of the 4080 12gb, which seems on point for what is going on, but why is the recording missing?

Desktop AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 - G. Skill Ripjaws 32gb 3200mhz CL16 - Palit RTX 3080ti - Custom loop for CPU
SimRig  AMD Ryzen 5 5800x3D - Aorus X570 Elite - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb 3600Mhz CL18 - Gainward Phantom 4090 - Custom loop for CPU
Livingroom Intel Xeon E5-2667v3 - Asus X99-AII - Corsair Vengeance 48gb 3200mhz CL18 - PNY 3090 XLR8 - Custom loop for CPU