3 major L's for Apple in Brazil - A third court decision in Brazil in two years earned Apple it's third fine, and power adapters are now mandatory

lospi
25 minutes ago, starsmine said:

You do know what 5VSB is right? its standby, as in your PC does not need to be on. Also the manufacturing, shipping and handling is far more CO2 over a lifetime then using an extra 5kw over a lifetime even assuming worse efficiency, which it isnt necessarily.

You gotta stop taking things that are not standard for granted, there are no ports on my PC or laptops that stay powered when they are off. It's not common and not a standard feature

28 minutes ago, starsmine said:

. how the fuck are you turning off your ps3? stop turning off the surge protector you have it plugged in to. how do you think people charge their duel shock 3? you think people turn on the console just to charge their controller after a long play session? no, its in stand by mode using 1.1W for itself, and whatever watts it needs to charge the controller if it needs it. 50 to 100w my ass. 

It doesn't charge when its off, (when the red light on). you don't know what you are talking about

30 minutes ago, starsmine said:

.... digging through your bag to find a battery is easier then plugging in your phone? Now im wondering why this conversation even maters for you since for you, you dont even charge your phone with a usb charger since all you do is swap batteries and charge the one not in the phone.

Also yes, Its SO MUCH EASIER on those 5 hour road trips where the phone is pulling GPS and music streaming duty, to swap out the battery while driving, turn off the phone replug in everything into the gps app of choice then to plug it in at the start and never think about it. 

Very easy. funny that you think is do that whilst driving, says a lot about you. If i ever happen to need to swap the battery during a road trip, ill just take the oppurtunity to stop at an autogrill, get a coffee and have a toilet break and in the meantime take the 30 seconds it takes me to swap a battery.

33 minutes ago, starsmine said:

dude, even cheap motel 6 or red roof inns have them. Businesses from my experience don't even bother with those bottom tiers, they have a cooperate account with choice, best western, hyatt, marriott or hilton or whatever and just do those for piece of mind. 

A container? what?

Not every hotel does it, haven't seen them in Italy, havent seen them in France, havent seen them in Congo, havent seen them in brazil, havent seen them in india, havent seen them in south Africa,havent seen them in Portugal, stop thinking that you are the standard, you clearly aren't

Yes a container, you do know that works isn't always near civilisation, right? And you do know you still gonna have to sleep somewhere, right?

37 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Cool? I have moved 10 times in the last 11 years, between many states, Im not losing chargers left and right. Well, I do, but I find them in a box a month later and go, oh look a charger I never missed and forgot I had cause its for my old LG 930 nitro pro or whatever from 2011 or something that can charge my iphone just fine. 
OH wait that thing has a swappable battery to, such a convenient thing to swap while sending it at 80mph down the interstate. 

Moving not equal changing house, means due to work I spend my times more on the road in hotels and airport than I do at home. Yep says a lot about you as person if your first though of changing battery is doing it while driving at 80mph

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

a pull out your 5w ac to dc charger, look at the input and notice it says shit like 120v .1Amp. HOLY BALLS its pulling 10-12w to put out 5w of dc power.

that's not how you calculate AC power draw.

for a 5W chargers that in the worst case scenario will output 1.5A, in the worst case scenario the power outputed from will be 7.5W. Let's keep the worst case and say that that charger is 50% efficient, the power absorbed by the charger will be 15W. In the worst case! a phone at best will draw .5A to charge do your calculations and the power drawn from the outlet will be a resounding 5W. And that's assuming i have a really inefficient charger.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

I move a lot, things happen, they get lost.

No things don't just happen if you invest a tiny bit of effort into not losing shit.

Ill let know when it'll happen, till then they've served me well

You are stubborn and ignorant and endanger other people for the sake of saving a few bucks and not taking care of things like an adult.

Wouldn't have to buy scary risky chargers if devices came with their own  safe, guranteed to work chargers

Yeah, if only you had a choice. So bad that only these risky, scary chargers are available on the aftermarket and companies like Aukey and Anker don't exist.

Your arguments are utterly ridiculous. You are a prime example of an irresponsible consumer (for which walled gardens are often a good idea).

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

You gotta stop taking things that are not standard for granted, there are no ports on my PC or laptops that stay powered when they are off. It's not common and not a standard feature

Yes it is, what in gods wide world are you talking about. Almost every larger piece of electronics with USB host ports as always-on ports. And 5VSB IS a standard that has been here since the dawn of time.

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

for a 5W chargers that in the worst case scenario will output 1.5A, in the worst case scenario the power outputed from will be 7.5W. Let's keep the worst case and say that that charger is 50% efficient, the power absorbed by the charger will be 15W. In the worst case! a phone at best will draw .5A to charge do your calculations and the power drawn from the outlet will be a resounding 5W. And that's assuming i have a really inefficient charger.

That's not how power consumption in switching PSUs works. You just have no clue what you are talking about.

43 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

No things don't just happen if you invest a tiny bit of effort into not losing shit.

shit still happens

You are stubborn and ignorant and endanger other people for the sake of saving a few bucks and not taking care of things like an adult.

again, I'll let you know if anything bad happen

Yeah, if only you had a choice. So bad that only these risky, scary chargers are available on the aftermarket and companies like Aukey and Anker don't exist.

Your arguments are utterly ridiculous. You are a prime example of an irresponsible consumer (for which walled gardens are often a good idea).

If only I had the choice to pick the device to come with its own charger instead of forcing me to spend 20+ euros more for a charger (or a pack of 10)

46 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Yes it is, what in gods wide world are you talking about. Almost every larger piece of electronics with USB host ports as always-on ports. And 5VSB IS a standard that has been here since the dawn of time.

No, they don't, case in point: the PS3 doesn't charge shit if it's off, red led on, not unplugged. My PC doesn't charge shit if it's off, off and not unplugged, my laptop doesn't charge shit if it's off or in standby, and by off I don't mean completely discharged. So no, it's not standard and you are full of bs.

49 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

That's not how power consumption in switching PSUs works. You just have no clue what you are talking about.

Who said anything about PSU? we are talking about your standard USB charger that plugs in a power outlet on one side and has a female USB-A (most commonly) on the other hand. So again, it's 5W in normal scenarios, 15W in the worst case on a really inefficient charger (50%), vs keeping a PS3/PC/Laptop/Router/any appliance with a USB port on that is drawing a whole lot more just to charge a phone. 

47 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

My PC doesn't charge shit if it's off, off and not unplugged, my laptop doesn't charge shit if it's off or in standby, and by off I don't mean completely discharged. So no, it's not standard and you are full of bs.

You know there‘s this thing called „settings“ or „BIOS“? The 5VSB rail is part of ATX and enables this functionality. Way to go for demonstrating your cluelessness. The BS is on your side.

only I had the choice to pick the device to come with its own charger instead of forcing me to spend 20+ euros more for a charger

A charger comparable to the ones that used to be included (in decent quality) costs nowhere near 20+€. Stop spreading BS.

Who said anything about PSU? we are talking about your standard USB charger that plugs in a power outlet on one side and has a female USB-A (most commonly) on the other hand.

Jesus Fucking Christ. That‘s still a switched mode power supply unit. You really want to go all-in here in demonstrating your incompetence, do you?

29 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

You know there‘s this thing called „settings“ or „BIOS“? The 5VSB rail is part of ATX and enables this functionality. Way to go for demonstrating your cluelessness. The BS is on your side.

Yeah, if it has it. Which in my case: they don't. Cause it's not STANDARD

A charger comparable to the ones that used to be included (in decent quality) costs nowhere near 20+€. Stop spreading BS.

Who is the one advising to buy anker or aukey here? also

1834491313_Immagine2022-10-19125028.thumb.png.e51880cdea336ef544769431b1a07ffd.png

Jesus Fucking Christ. That‘s still a switched mode power supply unit. You really want to go all-in here in demonstrating your incompetence, do you?

says the one in defense of power as: ACVoltage * Current

PowerOut/PowerIn to get efficiency is a truer way to determine the power drawn by the charger.

Stay incompetent fam.

18 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Who is the one advising to buy anker or aukey here? also

Again

• that's not the charger that would come in the box
  • if only there were other choices than buying Apples charger

At this point I have to ask: Are you playing dumb? Or pure trolling out of saltiness?

says the one in defense of power as: ACVoltage * Current

Power drawn from the outlet is V_RMS * I_RMS

PowerOut/PowerIn to get efficiency is a truer way to determine the power drawn by the charger.

Yes, much truer, many wow. And as pointed out earlier, a wallplug charger can easily have a 5W consumption which often renders an efficiency of 50%, which is terrible.

13 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

Brazil not caring about the environment and focusing on shit that doesn’t really matter to people instead of the rampant crime in literally every corner of the country? Colour me surprised. 

This is the first thing I thought when I read this thread. Then I did a Google search and I got results stating that murders are "very likely" during the day in every corner of the country. Is this a joke? Apple should just pull out of the country. Even calling them 3rd world country would be a compliment. And now they want more freebies they can fill the sea with.

Typical apple thread,  personal experiences and actual realities must be bullshit and made up and clutching at straws for rationale because apple can't be wrong.

I my current and only phone is more than 5 years old,  I have 2 USB A charges and when my son replaced his broken phone it came with a USB C cable but no charger, guess what we had to go and buy?

It happens, you can pretend it doesn't, but the reality is some people need it and some people don't.  It should be an option because a 1 size fits all approach likely does more damage than good.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

Again

• that's not the charger that would come in the box
  • if only there were other choices than buying Apples charger

At this point I have to ask: Are you playing dumb? Or pure trolling out of saltiness?

You are the one saying that the included Apple charger wouldn't cost 20+, and yet here it is, the only Apple charger you can buy from Apple costing 25€. 

You are the one saying that you should only buy from brand OEM cause "muh scary cheap charger BAD"

You are the one making claims with no proofs, acting as if everything you use in your personal experience is the defacto standard for everything.

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

Power drawn from the outlet is V_RMS * I_RMS

134080139_Immagine2022-10-19154132.png.dad2260d24fbdc77d3516569dacb91b3.png

go ahead then, give me Power in and Power out since you are so much smarter than everyone else, i'll wait

2 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Yes, much truer, many wow. And as pointed out earlier, a wallplug charger can easily have a 5W consumption which often renders an efficiency of 50%, which is terrible

still better than turning on a PC/Laptop/PS3/Router/Car/TV/Fridge/Cat/Dog/And everything else I've heard so far 

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Typical apple thread,  personal experiences and actual realities must be bullshit and made up and clutching at straws for rationale because apple can't be wrong.

I my current and only phone is more than 5 years old,  I have 2 USB A charges and when my son replaced his broken phone it came with a USB C cable but no charger, guess what we had to go and buy?

It happens, you can pretend it doesn't, but the reality is some people need it and some people don't.  It should be an option because a 1 size fits all approach likely does more damage than good.

95% of people have a spare brick, I have at least 5 from apple alone. They’re also dirt cheap so just buy one if you need one. There’s no point wasting millions of tons of plastic for the 2 people who don’t have a brick 

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

I have 4 Samsung chargers and none of my siblings even uses the charging block anymore because they have power strips that have USB ports. Brazil wants Apple to send chargers to everyone who bought the iPhone 12. All those people already have chargers and are going to be trying to resell it for cash. When they realize that they cannot resell it because eBay is filled with them they will go and throw it in the sea. And FYI your son will be buying the new iPhone 14 soon, or the iPhone 15 next year and then he will have a charger already because you bought one and if he gives his iPhone away whatever sheep buys it off him will already have one. You're just desperate to hate at a company because you think you're a rebel. Get real.

56 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

You are the one saying that the included Apple charger wouldn't cost 20+, and yet here it is, the only Apple charger you can buy from Apple costing 25€. 

You are the one saying that you should only buy from brand OEM cause "muh scary cheap charger BAD"

Since when is Apple the only OEM? Since when did I claim there's only Apple and everything else is trash? Dude, you are sooo lost.

56 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

go ahead then, give me Power in and Power out since you are so much smarter than everyone else, i'll wait

Those are only rather lose max specs for the primary side, you actually need to measure that stuff. 500mA even at 100VAC would be 50W which is terrible in comparison to the max 20W output.

57 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

still better than turning on a PC/Laptop/PS3/Router/Car/TV/Fridge/Cat/Dog/And everything else I've heard so far 

There's still no need to turn (most) of these on for charging. You are pure trolling at this point.

34 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

95% of people have a spare brick, I have at least 5 from apple alone. They’re also dirt cheap so just buy one if you need one. There’s no point wasting millions of tons of plastic for the 2 people who don’t have a brick 

Most people sell/give their old phones together with the charger to someone. Brand name chargers aren't cheap in Brazil, Apple own charger costs R$220 which currently is 42 USD, a bit less than 1/5 of the monthly minimum wage or 1/12 of the average monthly wage, Anker, Samsung, Motorola and similar chargers are all around R$100~120, the cheapest one that looks decent in my quick search is R$60. Also I'm pretty sure that if you try to buy an iPhone they will try to make you buy the charger with it, implying that it's better than others or that you could lose your warranty in case of any issues when using third-party ones. When my father was looking for phones in the Samsung store when they first released the phone without the charger, they said things like that, and when my brother bought his iPhone the shop pretty much made him buy the Apple charger arguing he needed the new one(the one with the USB-C port).

15 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

I have 4 Samsung chargers and none of my siblings even uses the charging block anymore because they have power strips that have USB ports. Brazil wants Apple to send chargers to everyone who bought the iPhone 12. All those people already have chargers and are going to be trying to resell it for cash. When they realize that they cannot resell it because eBay is filled with them they will go and throw it in the sea. And FYI your son will be buying the new iPhone 14 soon, or the iPhone 15 next year and then he will have a charger already because you bought one and if he gives his iPhone away whatever sheep buys it off him will already have one. You're just desperate to hate at a company because you think you're a rebel. Get real.

Samsung solution of providing the chargers to those who request it seems to be valid, so not sure why you're going on that "Brazil wants Apple to send chargers to everyone who bought the iPhone 12".

13 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

Most people sell/give their old phones together with the charger to someone. Brand name chargers aren't cheap in Brazil, Apple own charger costs R$220 which currently is 42 USD, a bit less than 1/5 of the monthly minimum wage or 1/12 of the average monthly wage, Anker, Samsung, Motorola and similar chargers are all around R$100~120, the cheapest one that looks decent in my quick search is R$60. Also I'm pretty sure that if you try to buy an iPhone they will try to make you buy the charger with it, implying that it's better than others or that you could lose your warranty in case of any issues when using third-party ones. When my father was looking for phones in the Samsung store when they first released the phone without the charger, they said things like that, and when my brother bought his iPhone the shop pretty much made him buy the Apple charger arguing he needed the new one(the one with the USB-C port).

Samsung solution of providing the chargers to those who request it seems to be valid, so not sure why you're going on that "Brazil wants Apple to send chargers to everyone who bought the iPhone 12".

You can get one from Amazon.Br for 149 which is £25 for an official apple charger. The 3rd party ones for half that or less. £10 for an adapter isn’t bad, 15-20 for an anker one is actually decent too. 

31 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Since when is Apple the only OEM? Since when did I claim there's only Apple and everything else is trash? Dude, you are sooo lost

Are all of this not you then

4 hours ago, Dracarris said:

A charger comparable to the ones that used to be included (in decent quality) costs nowhere near 20+€.

6 hours ago, Dracarris said:

scary chargers are available on the aftermarket and companies like Aukey and Anker don't exist.

On 10/18/2022 at 11:24 AM, Dracarris said:

Also, don‘t buy a lot of cheap but a few Anker/Aukey combo chargers that last forever.

40 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Those are only rather lose max specs for the primary side, you actually need to measure that stuff. 500mA even at 100VAC would be 50W which is terrible in comparison to the max 20W output.

I made an estimate, you shut it down and decided you act like big important electrical engineer guy, give me the drawn power form the wall Mr. Big Shot or shut up

41 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

There's still no need to turn (most) of these on for charging. You are pure trolling at this point.

And it's not true that every appliance with a USB port will let you charge from it while it's off. Either you understand that, or you are just trolling 

1 hour ago, KaitouX said:

Most people sell/give their old phones together with the charger to someone. Brand name chargers aren't cheap in Brazil, Apple own charger costs R$220 which currently is 42 USD, a bit less than 1/5 of the monthly minimum wage or 1/12 of the average monthly wage

This keeps coming to the assumption that "included" means "free". That's not accurate.

That may be the case for the duration of the current iPhone model. Once new phone come, they'll just factor the cost of the charger into the Brazilian price of an iPhone-- so all the poor people have to buy chargers, instead of just the poor people that need them.

You are the one making claims with no proofs, acting as if everything you use in your personal experience is the defacto standard for everything.

134080139_Immagine2022-10-19154132.png.dad2260d24fbdc77d3516569dacb91b3.png

Go buy one of these
 image.png.a08d71e4a113dfe9cf0b72637de83db0.png
and one of these for your local plug type
 image.png.5976b3d8ac0ed38c5762f1fbab048797.png

Stop pretending like apple are the only manufactures of chargers. Alternatives have been listed.

V_RMS*I_RMS IS wattage. 120v IS the RMS voltage. so .5amps * 120 IS 60W, lets be nice, say you have shit electric and only get 100V RMS so you are at 50W. 50W to provide 9V, 2.22W, aka 20W, is some shit ass efficiency.
Now to be fair, its not likely ever running in that specific range, hence go test the shit yourself. Im not buying an a2305 for you.
There are GaN chargers that actually are decently efficient, but that isnt one of them.

And for the love of god, stop pretending 5VSB isnt a thing everywhere. STOP SAYING YOU HAVE TO TURN IT ON. you dont, you just have it on stand by. Like I cant be more clear then this.

If you are turning off your devices by hitting turning off power to the socket its plugged into or giving your desktop the reach around and hitting the switch on the PSU. you are doing it wrong.
How do you think the power button on a keyboard even works?

5 minutes ago, starsmine said:

And for the love of god, stop pretending 5VSB isnt a thing everywhere. STOP SAYING YOU HAVE TO TURN IT ON. you dont, you just have it on stand by. Like I cant be more clear then this.

Some mobos don't even have this option, and neither the PS3 has it (as mentioned before, and I do find it stupid) nor most budget laptops.

My B550 mobo has 5VSB on 2 of it's back USBs, but afaik it doesn't offer so for the case ones.

With TVs it's hit or miss from my experience, I'd say 50% of them do have it. Only one of the 3 TVs in my house have it.

It is a standard as in documented by a governing body, but not a standard as in every device has it.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

24 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

oh my, oh my, my, my ,my, my

guess i was right

you people are the worst electrical engineer ever. Can't make a simple deduction and spout nonsense acting like you are the authority.

Here you have it folks, if you don't want to watch i'll spoil it for you since the entitled engineers here will have to withdraw back to the cave from were they came from.

We have a kill a watt meter measuring the power drawn by a 65W USB charger whilst a whole woping, drum roll please...

You. oh my god. What did you just prove?

WHAT is the iphone pulling? Do you know what efficiency means?
you pulled out a high quality GaN charger out of no where, one YOU WOULD NEVER BUY because it costs money. 

phone was at 78% meaning it is not fast charging in the first place. Is the phone drawing 5w? is it drawing 7.5?

you literally have zero idea what points we are making. 
Do you know what 80+ on a PC power supply even means? do you know what watts are? Do you know what power factor is? do you know efficiency is the ratio of power in and power out? 
Like we need to establish some base knowledge here from you because holy fucking hell. 

We brought up 50w on the 20w Apple charger (that doesn't use GaN) the worst case power draw from the wall to provide the phone 20w during its fast charge cycle. Which is not unreasonable given the size and types of transistors those chargers use. 

You came back with a total non-sequitur and think you won your argument. I am fucking floored. 

12 minutes ago, starsmine said:

do you know efficiency is the ratio of power in and power out

8 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

keep digging boy keep digging down below eventually you'll get somewhere

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

keep digging boy keep digging down below eventually you'll get somewhere

cool. so why did you post that video like its a slam dunk if you knew that?
please inform me
What does that video prove?
That a a totally unknown slow charge wattage on a 65W GaN charger pulls 10w?

What do you think that 65W charger is providing to the phone? Ill give you a hint, its not 10W its significantly less.

What do you think that 65W charger is providing to the phone?

PowerOut/PowerIn to get efficiency

id say around 8 and 7W which guess what? is what i had guessed from the begging but you guys add you heads too far up your butts acting as fart sommelier

implying a charger would absorb 60W to deliver what 20?

What does that video prove?

3 hours ago, starsmine said:

.5amps * 120 IS 60W, lets be nice, say you have shit electric and only get 100V RMS so you are at 50W

this == wrong

12 hours ago, Dracarris said:

wrong there too

13 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

that's not how you calculate AC power draw.

correct

cool. so why did you post that video like its a slam dunk if you knew that?

3 hours ago, starsmine said:

Go buy one of these
 image.png.a08d71e4a113dfe9cf0b72637de83db0.png

already forgot?

for a 5W chargers that in the worst case scenario will output 1.5A, in the worst case scenario the power outputed from will be 7.5W. Let's keep the worst case and say that that charger is 50% efficient, the power absorbed by the charger will be 15W. In the worst case! a phone at best will draw .5A to charge do your calculations and the power drawn from the outlet will be a resounding 5W.

This makes literally NO. FUCKING. SENSE. I almost had a stroke trying to understand what kind of half-baked knowledge you try to put together there.

A 5W charger will not provide 7.5W at its output. Just no.

Also your whole way of first establishing an efficiency figure and then applying it to a lower load DOES. NOT. WORK. For Christs sake that's NOT how switched mode power supplies work, efficiency varies GREATLY with output load. Higher load almost always results in significantly higher efficiency due to a more or less fixed power overhead for the power supply itself (control, bias, etc.).

This is the last thing I'm going to write in this matter. You are completely lost and have no clue what you are talking about. Believe what you want, but please don't spread it.